Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

StandardVC10 posted:

Is there anywhere in the world where you can use geothermal besides Iceland?

Maybe Sonoma County.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

withak posted:

Maybe Sonoma County.

The US is actually the world's largest geothermal user.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geothermal_energy_in_the_United_States

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

StandardVC10 posted:

New Zealand. Yellowstone if it wasn't a national park.

fake edit: California makes 2,732.2MW in geothermal according to wikipedia, which is about 3 times what iceland makes.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I feel like I remember reading about an attempt to rig up some geothermal setup somewhere in northern California but the pipes that carried the water down to get heated hosed with some fault line balance and there were pretty much constant low-level earthquakes around the site that just ended up breaking everything. It was p. funny.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

withak posted:

Maybe Sonoma County.

There's a big geothermal plant near Geyserville. There's also one near Mammoth.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Kenning posted:

I feel like I remember reading about an attempt to rig up some geothermal setup somewhere in northern California but the pipes that carried the water down to get heated hosed with some fault line balance and there were pretty much constant low-level earthquakes around the site that just ended up breaking everything. It was p. funny.

This is true. They used to just have to just drive put a pipe into the ground and catch the steam that came out, now they have to pump water in if they want steam. This causes a lot of very small earthquakes, but the earthquakes are shallow enough that they are a serious nuisance if you live above them. Like they can rattle stuff around on bookshelves and sometimes knock things over. This can happen a few times per week or even a few times per day if they crank up the water pressure.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
The College of Marin campus in Kentwood has a geothermal plant that services most buildings on campus.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Good old Unical creating geothermal plants.

Also, these maps help to explain BART's costs: http://fakeisthenewreal.org/subway/

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

nm posted:

I don't think you'll see Nuclear in large amounts in CA in the forseeable future. Seismic activity plus the perceived specter of Fukushima. Not saying it is wholly rational, but I believe it to be true.

Then of course, we can have a debate over whether hydro, a huge source of power up north, is really "green."

Not to mention the ongoing problems at Diablo Canyon and San Onofre.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Quick summary of the problems at Diablo:

Diablo: "Hey everybody we need to do seismic testing. It's going to piss off and possibly harm the marine animals in the area, but the alternative is we have less data about how the plant will react to an earthquake."
Public: "NO DON'T"
Diablo: "Ugh fine."
Public: "WHY HAVEN'T YOU DONE SEISMIC TESTING"
Diablo: "gently caress you idiots. Have another siren test."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqFWup1w9SY

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

I live within 15 miles to Diablo. Hearing about that disconcerts me that people are so against such measures to make sure the surrounding towns wouldn't have to abandon their homes in case a serious problem happened there. What were the projected risks exactly to local marine animals? Also that siren actually is starting to hurt my ears at certain pitches even with headphones on.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

StandardVC10 posted:

Western Turkey.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Dusseldorf posted:

There's a big geothermal plant near Geyserville. There's also one near Mammoth.

I visited the geothermal plant in Geyserville as a part of my studies at the local CSU. It was pretty cool visit. That was about 10 years ago.

I generally like Sonoma County, but there are quite a few NIMBY people here. For example, the town of Sebastepol rejected free wifi from the local ISP because of "concern" about the RADIATION. I hate that people's ignorant fears prevented me from getting free wifi. Luckily I don't live in sebastepol anymore.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Sword of Chomsky posted:

I visited the geothermal plant in Geyserville as a part of my studies at the local CSU. It was pretty cool visit. That was about 10 years ago.

I generally like Sonoma County, but there are quite a few NIMBY people here. For example, the town of Sebastepol rejected free wifi from the local ISP because of "concern" about the RADIATION. I hate that people's ignorant fears prevented me from getting free wifi. Luckily I don't live in sebastepol anymore.

Reminds me of that report NPR did a while ago about scores of Marin parents refusing to vaccinate their kids because of all the scary sounding chemicals present in shots. A bunch of callers called in to explain how some Infowars satellite website they stumbled upon trumps the advice given by the honest-to-God doctor present on the program. Because mumps and hepatitis can easily be blocked out with gluten-free, vegan diets, you see.

I've never been one for hippie-punching, but after that program, I swear...

It doesn't surprise me Sonoma County is stricken with that kind of silliness as well.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
All of the hippies moved north for cheaper living expenses. The people left in Marin and Sonoma are just idiots of the general elderly suburban professional or soccer mom type.

e: vvv yeah it's pretty hilarious that people still associate hippies with the Bay Area. Having grown up in Portland, I can say without a doubt that the proportion of hippies is MUCH higher up there as well as the general acceptance of and interest in hippie culture.

Papercut fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Aug 28, 2013

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Yeah, no hippies can afford Marin anymore, they've fled to Eugene/Portland. All that's left is really rich lawyer/banker/tycoon types or people who are "house" rich (that bought in the 1970's.)

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?
I'm going to Marin next week to look for a place to rent.. trying to get a feel for the place.. using Air BNB to stay in various neighbourhoods until I start work.

Is there any new residential developments in the North Bay area? Marin at least seems built out.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"
I live in Northern CA and I love it. But I've been to Seattle, and their bus system + light rail is way better and cheaper than Bart + the SF bus system. I call bullshit on that chart.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Seattle has an embarrassing public transit system and horrendous traffic to match.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Geared Hub posted:

I'm going to Marin next week to look for a place to rent.. trying to get a feel for the place.. using Air BNB to stay in various neighbourhoods until I start work.

Is there any new residential developments in the North Bay area? Marin at least seems built out.

There is a lot of cheap new development in solano county, but you'd have to want to live in Fairfield or Vallejo (you don't).

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Geared Hub posted:

Rent in Marin and Sonoma counties are pretty high. Petaluma (south sonoma county) wouldn't be a bad choice for commuting. I would avoid Santa Rosa if you can. Solano county is cheap, but it sucks.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Dahbadu posted:

I live in Northern CA and I love it. But I've been to Seattle, and their bus system + light rail is way better and cheaper than Bart + the SF bus system. I call bullshit on that chart.

Yeah, gently caress statistics. Public transit in Seattle is way better than in SF because you say so.

Public transit in Seattle is better than a lot of US cities, and maybe it is better than SF in terms of pricing and maybe in terms of amount of crazy people making GBS threads on the bus or something (though I'm sure Seattle has its share of that too), but coverage and usage is certainly higher in SF and the Bay Area vs. Seattle and the Seattle metro area.

And for the record, SF has more than BART and buses. Muni includes buses and light rail (and the cable cars of course), and there are tons of other bus systems with service to SF and throughout the Bay Area. There's light rail in the south bay as well, and there's a new light rail system getting built in the north bay too (its a pretty lame one, but better than nothing). Can't forget commuter trains and ferries too.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:

CPColin posted:

Quick summary of the problems at Diablo:

Diablo: "Hey everybody we need to do seismic testing. It's going to piss off and possibly harm the marine animals in the area, but the alternative is we have less data about how the plant will react to an earthquake."
Public: "NO DON'T"
Diablo: "Ugh fine."
Public: "WHY HAVEN'T YOU DONE SEISMIC TESTING"
Diablo: "gently caress you idiots. Have another siren test."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqFWup1w9SY

What's seismic testing?

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

keevo posted:

What's seismic testing?

I'm confused about how it would affect marine animals. Seismic testing to me means all equipment needs to be put on a shaker table as in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKJJk74skuM

Either that or it needs to be one of the products on OSHPD's seismic pre-approval list. I'm trying to imagine how a seismic test and marine animals could be related and all I can picture is the thumpers from Dune.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
IIRC it is a sonic survey of the sea floor, done from some kind of apparatus towed behind a ship. It measures sea floor topography and subsurface stratigraphy, both of which can tell you stuff about whether there are any unknown faults present and how old they are. The problem is that the vibrations involved can be harmful to sea life.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
During the debate on the seismic testing, the opponents had valid points, but expressed them in a way that made me entirely unsympathetic to their position. I couldn't figure out why they couldn't just do a small portion of the testing and study the effects, instead of just giving up on the testing altogether.

But then again, I live in a county where a town has spent decades arguing about making GBS threads in its own drinking water. (Summary is out of date; the project has started and half the streets in town are currently covered in steel plates.)

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

Dahbadu posted:

While I bet their buses are hipper and whiter, Seattle has one less train line than Atlanta (which has two). So they probably count on complicated geography to make it seem like you're getting places quickly when you're not. No thanks. Also, Tom Ashbrook's NPR show did a whole episode on how it's hard to move to Seattle because everyone there is extraordinarily aloof and done making friends (they even named the phenomenon the Seattle Freeze, for when you're getting along well with someone and you invite their family over for dinner, and they get all deer-in-the-headlights and actually refuse rather clumsily). Things people believe about other groups of people are generally wrong, but that would fit Seattle so perfectly.

SousaphoneColossus
Feb 16, 2004

There are a million reasons to ruin things.
As a San Francisco native living in Seattle, I feel like I can say with some authority that King County Metro's buses blow Muni out of the water in terms of (relative) reliability and on-time performance, but Seattle is decades behind in terms of rail and won't have any kind of system remotely comparable to BART for at least another decade.

edit: also, the Seattle Freeze is bullshit if for no other reason than half of the people in this city are out-of-state transplants anyway.

SousaphoneColossus fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Aug 29, 2013

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

nm posted:

There is a lot of cheap new development in solano county, but you'd have to want to live in Fairfield or Vallejo (you don't).

Yeah, that drive would kill me, I'm jumping from place to place before I start work via AirBnB to give commuting a dry run, that and check out the sights.

Any impact from the state of emergency in regards to the fire in Yosemite impacting SF Bays water supply? Was that a case of loosening up funds for emergency response or is it time to put away a barrel of water just in case?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Geared Hub posted:

Yeah, that drive would kill me, I'm jumping from place to place before I start work via AirBnB to give commuting a dry run, that and check out the sights.

Any impact from the state of emergency in regards to the fire in Yosemite impacting SF Bays water supply? Was that a case of loosening up funds for emergency response or is it time to put away a barrel of water just in case?

As far as I've read the Hetch Hetchy reservoir is not in direct danger. The concern was about the hydro electric power generation the dam supplies, and not really the water itself.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

UnclePlasticBitch posted:

As a San Francisco native living in Seattle, I feel like I can say with some authority that King County Metro's buses blow Muni out of the water in terms of (relative) reliability and on-time performance

That may be the case, but it is a smaller bus system than Muni, with less coverage, fewer riders, and a lower percentage of commuters who use it to get to work. And a less crowded city to move through too, which is the main contributor to Muni having on-time performance issues.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
Confirming that Seattle's rail feels behind the Bay Area's. There's a single light rail line that, while clean/efficient, only goes from SeaTac to downtown through a bunch of low rent and/or industrial areas; much less breadth than MUNI light rail, maybe comparable to San Jose's? There is also a single commuter heavy rail line that seems to go from slightly north of downtown, to Tacoma, and sees waaaaaay less daily ridership (~10k) than either Caltrain (~47k) or BART (~375k).

The buses look impressive (I swear they look like light rail cars with wheels) and have nice underground stations in parts of downtown, though I doubt they have more reach than the Bay Area bus networks.

Taking Amtrak back down to East Bay from here, next week; hoping it doesn't suck...

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

bitprophet posted:

Taking Amtrak back down to East Bay from here, next week; hoping it doesn't suck...
That train ride is awesome, so long as you enjoy the Amtrak experience it will be fun.

Sword of Chomsky posted:

As far as I've read the Hetch Hetchy reservoir is not in direct danger. The concern was about the hydro electric power generation the dam supplies, and not really the water itself.

So the fire is actually along the edge of the reservoir now. However, the concern isn't today, but is once the rain comes. See those hillsides are nothing but ash and dirt, which will flow into the Hetch Hetchy. San Francisco Water will just have to filter things, and Crystal Springs serves as a huge reserve reservoir so there won't be major service impacts.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Glad to see we're in a post segregation society :v:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Turok
Jan 21, 2009
aside from the dumbshit politicians and gun laws this state rules. born and raised bitches.

Turok
Jan 21, 2009

Sword of Chomsky posted:

Rent in Marin and Sonoma counties are pretty high. Petaluma (south sonoma county) wouldn't be a bad choice for commuting. I would avoid Santa Rosa if you can. Solano county is cheap, but it sucks.

whattup. im in Novato

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Trabisnikof posted:

Glad to see we're in a post segregation society :v:

San Francisco is a really ethnically integrated city. The whole Bay Area is, really. Like, there are some neighborhoods where there are ethnic majorities, but if you compare it to Chicago or New York where there are just huge chunks of like 99% ethnic homogeneity it's really striking. The only area like that in SF is Chinatown.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Kenning posted:

San Francisco is a really ethnically integrated city. The whole Bay Area is, really. Like, there are some neighborhoods where there are ethnic majorities, but if you compare it to Chicago or New York where there are just huge chunks of like 99% ethnic homogeneity it's really striking. The only area like that in SF is Chinatown.

But compared to say Sacramento....

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Papercut posted:

All of the hippies moved north for cheaper living expenses. The people left in Marin and Sonoma are just idiots of the general elderly suburban professional or soccer mom type.

This is true. Being young and living in Santa Rosa was really lovely and I couldn't wait to transfer out of Santa Rosa Junior College (and Sonoma County in general) because of how depressing it was. Bowling at the AMF in Petaluma was probably the highlight of things to do. It's definitely an elderly suburban or middle-aged overweight NIMBY Costco-goer setting with everything closing at midnight--usually much earlier.

That said, for Geared Hub, I would probably recommend against living anything past Novato because commute will really drag going into the city. I thought you said you needed your car for work but would taking the Larkspur Ferry be an option for you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I'm too lazy to rehost, so multipost ahoy.

Here's LA too.

• Locked thread