Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

No one ever played Gameboy or GBA games, least of all children, because they were all trodden-on and scratched to pieces within moments of taking them out the box, those kids were just too insanely destructive to handle their toys properly. Yes it looks ugly and no I wouldn't buy one, but it's not aimed at us dumbfucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Sir Ilpalazzo posted:

I read that the W101 sales are really only counting the first few days the game was out, since it came out at the end of a week. Is that wishful thinking, or are the sales as abysmal as they seem?

It was outsold by Dragon's Crown on the Vita(!!!) in the same amount of time, in terms of physical copies. DC is also a new IP, from a niche developer that doesn't see much in the way of sales for pretty much anything it has ever released.

That's not saying anything bad about W101, the game is loving rad. It's just on a system that doesn't have a whole lot of enthusiasm directed towards it these days.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Important viewing for anyone who honestly expects that one console is going to sink Nintendo and unleash a utopia of Zelda on XBox.

At first I thought the 2DS was a joke, but then I realized it's for a totally different demographic than anyone posting in this thread. It's for little kids- cheaper, more durable, no worry of health effects. Yeah, it's goofy to have two screens without a clamshell, but the advantage is that the hinge is one less part to break.

And last of all, it's not going to somehow damage the 3DS platform. If this SKU doesn't sell, the rest of the platform isn't going to somehow get sucked into a black hole with it.

WendigoJohnson posted:

They're not even having the 2DS come with a second analog stick

There is no point adding this to any 3DS SKU at this point in the system's lifespan. Most games aren't designed for it, and developers don't want to invest in supporting a feature that most players will not have. It would spend 99% of the time being limp and vestigial.

And there's no point adding it to THIS device in particular because it's for teeny kids who do best with simple controls, not dual-analog FPS fans.

Supercar Gautier fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Aug 29, 2013

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Supercar Gautier posted:

And there's not point adding it to THIS device in particular because it's for teeny kids who do best with simple controls, not dual-analog FPS fans.

No child has ever had the technical skills to use a complicated controller ever. That's why the N64, Playstation and Saturn, etc etc controllers are all featureless masses with a single button.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

OLIVIAS WILDE RIDER posted:

No child has ever had the technical skills to use a complicated controller ever. That's why the N64, Playstation and Saturn, etc etc controllers are all featureless masses with a single button.

Most children's games actually do not take full use of every button on the controller specifically for this reason actually, and a lot of them had goofy-rear end paraphernalia designed to provide simpler controls for younger children.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Don't be dense. I make no claim that kids can't handle a controller with complex elements. but the 3DS controls are already established. They are a fixed point for developers to refer to. If you ask "Which SKU should have more control elements added for more complex schemes" it would be idiotic to answer "Oh! The one for kids, the one for kids!"

^^^^^^^^ and yeah, even recently I recall Mark Cerny talking about how they avoided using certain buttons for Knack because some of them were hard for kids to reach.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

The 2DS is ugly as hell and sounds like a joke, but it's knocking 40 bucks off the price of a 3DS at the expense of a feature almost universally regarded as an extraneous gimmick. I see no reason why it wouldn't sell well.

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011
Besides, they need to make money selling the 2DS and 2DSXL Circle Pad Pros. Or they would if any games used the things, but that just turns into a circular argument of "Nintendo won't promote the CPP > Developers won't make games using the CPP because no-one buys them > Nintendo sees no-one using the CPP and won't promote it > Developers won't make games that use it > etc etc".

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The timing on the 2DS just seems terrible to me, I mean there's been a ton of games on the 3DS that kids would love, hell the 3DS had a Black/White 2 unique feature so I would assume any kid buying a Pokemon game would have a 3DS by now.

Its one thing to have to a big model and a small model, its another to have an entirely re-designed one which a new name, its just gonna confuse people.

That's on top of the fact that its gonna take attention away from the Wii U, at a time when the competition is on the verge of releasing their new consoles.

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Eating your face since 1991.
Is there really some untapped market for FPS games on the 3DS or something? I've never seen people go crazy for the CPP outside of SA.

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

I don't think the 2DS idea is bad in itself, it just a) looks like total loving garbage, and b) is another badly named product in a line up of poo poo that even I get confused about, let alone Joe Walmart. I don't think any sensible person thinks this will bankrupt Nintendo or mean that Mario will be on the Xbox, it is just frustrating to see as a previous fan of Nintendo games/consoles that they continue to make the same dumb mistakes

It will probably sell 400 million units before Xmas and we will all look dumb as well

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
So wait, does this mean they are officially discontinuing the basic version of the SKU?

Quest For Glory II posted:

I still can't believe Nintendo thinks their low effort HD port of Wind Waker is worth $50 when Sony has put out multiple HD compilations for $40 that packed in multiple games. Are they gonna price Zelda 2015 at $80??

Hell, Capcom, the king of the gougers, put out Okami HD, a game thats pretty much point for point the equal for Wind Waker HD, for $20.

zenintrude posted:

We all enjoyed Shenmue III, that's for sure.

I know I did, when it was called Yakuza and was identical to Shenmue in every significant way.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Although I'd rather it didn't sell that well, only because I don't want Nintendo to say "oh this clearly sells more, so no more clamshell devices you can fit in your pocket anymore when we do the 4DS"

Knowing Nintendo's design decisions, it would only be half-surprising when their next handheld resembles a hypercube

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Although I'd rather it didn't sell that well, only because I don't want Nintendo to say "oh this clearly sells more, so no more clamshell devices you can fit in your pocket anymore when we do the 4DS"

You already can't fit a 3DS-XL in your pocket unless you still wear Jnco jeans.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

This is literally the shittiest design decision I have ever loving seen jesus christ.

You seem pretty upset about a console that is literally made for six year olds. Do you get mad about Leapster design decisions too?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Cowcaster posted:

The 2DS is ugly as hell and sounds like a joke, but it's knocking 40 bucks off the price of a 3DS at the expense of a feature almost universally regarded as an extraneous gimmick. I see no reason why it wouldn't sell well.

I think a lot of the disappointment comes from the people who heard the concept, and were pretty excited for it. I know I was. I don't want to buy a 3DS at full price. I also don't want 3D, since that kind of thing always gives me a headache. I heard that nintendo was releasing a non-3D 3DS, that would be cheaper, and was pretty hyped! The actual end result looks pretty unwieldy, though, and I really want the clamshell feature for storage and portability. I know the 2DS is aimed at kids, but there's definitely a market among the older crowd for a cheaper, non 3D console that's set up like the original version.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Alteisen posted:

The timing on the 2DS just seems terrible to me, I mean there's been a ton of games on the 3DS that kids would love, hell the 3DS had a Black/White 2 unique feature so I would assume any kid buying a Pokemon game would have a 3DS by now.

It's coming out just as the new Pokemon games are coming out, that seems like fairly reasonable timing to me.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

deadwing posted:

You seem pretty upset about a console that is literally made for six year olds. Do you get mad about Leapster design decisions too?

He's probably not that upset or shaking with rage or crying or whatever emotion weirdos on the internet try to ascribe to their Posting Opponents.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Fallom posted:

He's probably not that upset or shaking with rage or crying or whatever emotion weirdos on the internet try to ascribe to their Posting Opponents.

Calling something the "shittiest thing (he has) ever loving seen jesus christ" is pretty mad for an internet post. If you were mad at a person, calling them the "shittiest person you've ever loving met" would be pretty reasonable. That post is a lot of overreaction about a children's console that he was never going to buy anyway.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Wandle Cax posted:

It's coming out just as the new Pokemon games are coming out, that seems like fairly reasonable timing to me.

That's my point, I'd figure most kids who want pokemon would have a 3DS by now.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Alteisen posted:

That's my point, I'd figure most kids who want pokemon would have a 3DS by now.

Pokemon Black 2 and White 2 came out last October in the states, and was still a Nintendo DS game. This will be the first 3DS game. That probably held a lot of parents off from needing to get a 3DS.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

It wouldn't be a surprise if the Blue/Red 2DS got bundled with the color corresponding Pokemon X/Y, since they're launching together, unless that was the point.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

Well the clamshell probably wouldn't fit in a five to six year olds pocket either really

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Yeah, the original 3DS and the DS Lite only fit (kind of awkwardly) in the pocket of an adult man, not so much the pocket of a kid. Kids are gonna stuff it in their backpacks like they've done since the Gameboy era. Looks like the 2DS even comes with its own zip-up case.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

However, in this thread, people cry about why they can't play Nintendo games on their Sony console because Nintendo is clearly going to go out of business because of one weak selling console.

I don't read Sony threads. This thread was created because people were being annoying about Nintendo in the Wii U thread. Do you think I'd be able to get away with posting every day about how the Sony corporation is losing money and I can't wait to play Sony games on my Wii U? Please. We had to placate folks here to give them a thread to bitch about Wii U and more importantly, bitch about how their childhood is gone and they want it back.

When people discuss Nintendo's financial problems, it's always as if Nintendo is the only company having issues. That's my problem. I've spent plenty of time bitching about Nintendo's decisions here but when people go on their moaning about wanting to play Nintendo on their Sony, it's a little silly when bringing up the financial stability of a company. Nintendo is in great shape. Sony is not. If people want to bring up Nintendo's issues, they better bring up Sony and Microsoft.

This thread exists because of unhappiness from Nintendo supporters about the amount of critical discussion in the other thread, and now you're whining in this one too. These persecutory delusions about Nintendo are getting old. If you're going to reflexively bring up Sony as if we're a secret Sony street team, and you think Nintendo criticism must be balanced with Sony criticism in a Wii U thread, you're just taking everything too seriously like a console warrior. If someone talks about Nintendo games on other systems, it's just speculative discussion, for gently caress's sake.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
You people shouldn't wear such tight jeans. I have had no problem fitting my XL in my pockets. Generally I do have to give it its own pocket, and put my phones in the other pocket, but it has never been uncomfortable.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
My 3DS fits in my breast pocket on my jacket and fits in the pockets of most of my slacks, so it's not an issue. I don't wear jeans, really, and saying they don't fit in pockets because you do wear skinny jeans is ridiculous.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

deadwing posted:

Calling something the "shittiest thing (he has) ever loving seen jesus christ" is pretty mad for an internet post. If you were mad at a person, calling them the "shittiest person you've ever loving met" would be pretty reasonable. That post is a lot of overreaction about a children's console that he was never going to buy anyway.

People use hyperbole to convey emotion, but it's not meant to be taken literally.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

I seriously thought the 2ds was a joke at first. It took me a few minutes to accept that it wasn't a joke.
Jesus that thing is a terrible idea. The design is just so bad.

Also announcing a 50 dollar price cut a month in advance is a strange move.
I don't think that's enough to change anything..
The next gen is almost here. The real next gen.
The Wii U isn't even a consideration at this point. It'll be years until X and SMT vs Fire Emblem.

I'm tempted to preorder a PS4.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

quote:

The Wii U isn't even a consideration at this point. It'll be years until X and SMT vs Fire Emblem.

Well, probably 1 year.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

However, in this thread, people cry about why they can't play Nintendo games on their Sony console because Nintendo is clearly going to go out of business because of one weak selling console.

I don't read Sony threads. This thread was created because people were being annoying about Nintendo in the Wii U thread. Do you think I'd be able to get away with posting every day about how the Sony corporation is losing money and I can't wait to play Sony games on my Wii U? Please. We had to placate folks here to give them a thread to bitch about Wii U and more importantly, bitch about how their childhood is gone and they want it back.

When people discuss Nintendo's financial problems, it's always as if Nintendo is the only company having issues. That's my problem. I've spent plenty of time bitching about Nintendo's decisions here but when people go on their moaning about wanting to play Nintendo on their Sony, it's a little silly when bringing up the financial stability of a company. Nintendo is in great shape. Sony is not. If people want to bring up Nintendo's issues, they better bring up Sony and Microsoft.
You realize that the people posting about how poorly Nintendo is doing in the thread explicitly created to discuss how poorly Nintendo is doing aren't the ones who are out of place, it's the guy saying how great Nintendo is doing, right?

I don't know what you expect every time you come back here to read this thread instead of the other Wii U thread. I mean, you even pointed out yourself it exists! That's what it's there for!

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Toady posted:

People use hyperbole to convey emotion, but it's not meant to be taken literally.

Yes I think everyone understands that. It's just the emotions of disgust people are conveying towards a cut price console designed for 5 year olds to play pokemon on is a bit silly. Who cares if it doesn't look cool or that the 2 screens are in fact, one screen.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

The_Frag_Man posted:

I seriously thought the 2ds was a joke at first. It took me a few minutes to accept that it wasn't a joke.
Jesus that thing is a terrible idea. The design is just so bad.

It's really a great idea. You give the people who would be willing to buy a 3DS, but not for 170 bucks (like me, for example), a way to get the 3DS. But, by removing 3D from that device, you still have a reason for the people who would by it at full price to give you more money. The problem is, they also decided to combine that with "make it for kids!" and rolled it out with a terrible design. If they had a 2DS with the same clamshell design AND the weirdly designed kid's DS, I don't think there'd be any of the grumbling that's been all over the place today.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Cowcaster posted:

You realize that the people posting about how poorly Nintendo is doing in the thread explicitly created to discuss how poorly Nintendo is doing aren't the ones who are out of place, it's the guy saying how great Nintendo is doing, right?

I don't know what you expect every time you come back here to read this thread instead of the other Wii U thread. I mean, you even pointed out yourself it exists! That's what it's there for!

I always took this to be more the "armchair analysis" thread than the negativity thread. They can go together and often do, but if a criticism doesn't make sense then I don't think it should be immune from commentary just because this is where negativity is sanctioned or whatever.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

The_Frag_Man posted:

Jesus that thing is a terrible idea. The design is just so bad

I think it's pretty smart myself. It will be the stepping stone for getting Mario/Pokemon into the hands of young kids with parents worried about the 3D and the screen snapping off. It also is pretty clearly here to serve the same purpose as the GBA Micro against the PSP, it competed literally by taking up shelf space and conversation. It's one more thing for customers to think about that's made by Nintendo.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Supercar Gautier posted:

I always took this to be more the "armchair analysis" thread than the negativity thread. They can go together and often do, but if a criticism doesn't make sense then I don't think it should be immune from commentary just because this is where negativity is sanctioned or whatever.

Yeah, but when that commentary is "you're all bitter crybabies because you can't play Mario on your Sony console and you want Nintendo's building to catch on fire", it shits up the analysis.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Supercar Gautier posted:

What doesn't make sense is lamenting the lack of commentary on Microsoft and Sony's financial ups and downs in the thread about discussing Nintendo, regardless of whether it's in a positive or negative light.

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Aug 29, 2013

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Toady posted:

Yeah, but when that commentary is "you're all bitter crybabies because you can't play Mario on your Sony console and you want Nintendo's building to catch on fire", it shits up the analysis.

I wouldn't use that sort of phrasing, but I do think the idea of Nintendo going third-party has a lot of wishful thinking behind it. It's based on the idea/hope that Nintendo are in dire financial straits, and on the idea/hope that going third-party would be more profitable than picking up the pieces and releasing a better-strategized console in 2016-17. I don't think either of those are the case right now.

In light of that, is it completely off-base to try and get the money situation in perspective relative to the competition?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

I don't think anyone's genuinely predicting Nintendo's going to become a third-party developer outside the realm of wishful thinking. As much of a ludicrous disaster the Wii U is, Nintendo still more or less holds a majority of the the handheld market, paired with the perpetual cash cow that is the pokemon franchise.

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Aug 29, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godmode Enabled
Jul 14, 2013

I AM A BETAGOON, ASK ME ABOUT PROPER GRIEF TO CASH RATIOS.
I'm sure if Nintendo got in to any real financial trouble they would just make a Pokemon MMO and make billions.

• Locked thread