Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004
Ooh questions!

Trees: These are from a Chinese ebay seller that does tons of model train accessories, just look up model trees, you will find about 90% of the entries are from them. They are cheap as hell, I think I got a bag of 20 of them for $4.00, something like that.

Rust: I started with a quick rust color (some PP color that was a nice browny red) airbrush spray on the areas I planned to be rusted, not the whole model, just where I needed it.
- Then I did a quick matte seal, and took some water and tablesalt. Paint the water on where you want the rust and sprinkle it with salt, sometimes I just made a salt-mud and slapped that on as I am impatient.
- Next spray your tank color on, airbrush or light brushwork. You knock half the salt off and drop the tank at least once (this is key to the process).
- Once done, hold the tank under lightly flowing warm water and lightly brush off the salt, most of it will come off leaving a realistic pattern of rust splotches.
- *This step is optional* Realize your rust color and your tank color are the same hue and despair.
- Then take a bright orange color , water it down to almost wash status and apply it to the edges where the rust and tank color meet (I added some off-white as well to help push the difference). the quickly drying wash-paint should leave behind some fairly realistic looking oxidation patterns and it dries.
- Highlight with the same orange on the very tips and corners where fresh rust would be.

this was my first time doing rust, so I imagine there is a better way, but I learned alot, and think it came out pretty much looking like rust.

Mr.Booger fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Aug 28, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Bucnasti posted:

I, Bucnasty First of his Name, oath this Reaper Pathfinder Dragon, and these IMEF Marines (Themes Group).

Oath Complete

My crazy toxic jungle dragon, I was going for a poisonous jungle frog look but things went in a really weird direction. Photos just don't do justice to the bright toxic waste green this guy turned out.
The stones on the base are weathered a bit.

My Themed group of Paranoia Troubleshooters

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

krushgroove posted:

Winners of the Springer-Pinsel brushes (I know one of you haven't received your brushes yet), I've been asked by the very nice Springer-Pinsel lady if you guys are enjoying your brushes?

Also, I've been asked for direct feedback: "Do you have any idea if we should create other brushes for your special
and typical painting?" So please post here and let me know!

I'm afraid that...

Fix posted:

I'll admit I haven't broken them out yet. It's hard to move beyond a brush you've been painting with for half a decade while it's still working.

I'll break them out tonight and let you know.

Edit: Hey Mr Booger, as long as you're answering questions, tell us about those trees you've got there.

...this is exactly me as well, they're sat there looking all nice and pristine and I'm loath to get them out when I've been using a small handful of the plethora of brushes I own for so long. I promise I'll whip 'em out for September's oath and give a trip report :)

I was actually contemplating asking you for her contact details so I could send her a nice letter to say thank you :)

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Understood - I've PM'd you her email address so you can give a glowing recommendation :)

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
:siren:OATH COMPLETE:siren:

(DOH I just noticed some bits and pieces that need a little more work but I've got to call it a night and then I'm awaaaay)

And not all of these have been painted for oaths but I thought I'd post 'em with their bros (click for BIG)

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

edit: derp.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
:siren:Oath Complete:siren:

Claiming the Jurnal for this month - Weathering - in the form of the rusty maces and armour on the 3 grunts, and the rust on the hilt of the shaman's sword. It's a little :effort: but I tried. Also claiming Themed Group for the Orcish war party, shaman, 3 grunts, and their pet cave bear.

Will try to get some better photos later on, but I'm not likely to win any prizes for these, so...

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry
Oath Complete

I finally found time this month to get around to doing this, phew. I used a bunch of secret weapon pigment and washes because I'm tired of seeing this guy painted pristine and shiny. If there's Genestealers around, then there's muck (and spiders too, apparently).

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

IrvingWashington posted:

Oath Complete

I finally found time this month to get around to doing this, phew. I used a bunch of secret weapon pigment and washes because I'm tired of seeing this guy painted pristine and shiny. If there's Genestealers around, then there's muck (and spiders too, apparently).

Holy moley.

:aaa:

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
WhiteOutMouse Oath complete!

I tried to use some weathering powder... Tried.

I used exhaust black to try and shade the tusks but I need to play with it more. I also tried to make scratches on the face but they looked really stark, like bad lightning bolts. When I put the blue back over the bright silver/white it made an interesting distressed color.

These were 40k minis, themed group etc etc.

Haydrian
Sep 30, 2001
Paid way too much for what I do.
Oath Complete

edit: now with Ork fanfic

As his Trukk bounced from one pothole to the next, Chukkwaggen reached under his seat for another cold fungus beer. He bit down hard on the cap and wrenched it free with an angry jerk of his head, it had not been a good morning. "Them runts don't know 'ow easy they has it, does they? Wake up after the rest of the boys has footslogged it up to 'da fightin, and what does tha Boss say? 'Bring dem up here in da trukk', dat's what he says!" Chukk took at long pull of the oily fungal brew, just as a section of the road collapsed under his vehicle's heavy tires and brought them to a crashing halt. Fungus beer spewed out of the bottle and down the front of his dirty tunic, further souring his mood.

"Whut Ai want tae know is, it is, hew was 'dem boys anyhew?" Daft Georkie asked as he climbed out of the gunner's platform and moved around to push the back of the trukk. "We havenae any lads what are broon or black, has we? But them's was, they was nae proppa Orky green attall!" Chukkwaggen sighed as this continued apace, once Georkie started asking questions he wouldn't stop nattering until he had gotten the answer through his lasgun addled brain. And as un-Orkily good natured and patient as Daft Georkie was, he still stood a foot taller than the squatty Trukk driver, and had six stone of muscle on him to boot, couldn't just hammer him into quiet...

"Dey was the Shoota boys that the Boss wanted to help him fight the Humies, you remember them don't yas?" Chukk sweated as he tugged at the rusted chain winch attached to the reinforced front bumper of his Trukk, pulling it out and towards a promising tree to the side of the road. "Dey wasn't brown or durty black when we started out dis morning, but it's hard to keep yas tunic clean on the road, ain't it just?" Georkie tilted his head in puzzlement. "Wha? Them's as had the flash new red kit and the fine flash guns? I recollet as they got on tae the back o' tha Trukk, but I didnae look back again as I was keeping me eye out fo' Jonny Marbo, like ye said I must."

"Well while you was looking for that sneaky git on your side", Chukk continued as he fastened the chain and headed back to the stalled vehicle "Dem lil humies came over from MY side of da road and dey started chuckin' stikkbombs at us! 'S a good thing they wasn't proper Orky stikkbombs, and I fink that they was the humie grots anyways and 'dey couldn't throw very good, most of it landed in da mud and just made a big splash! It was mud and turds and Gork knows what else all over dem boys in the back, HAW HAW!"

"Ooch, aye now, I can remembers it as ye've told us afore! Them's as threw that dead killy petrol stikkbombs tho, that was a proppa Orky throw, twas. O'er the top it went and doon intae the back, and half of the lads are leaping and capering and all afire" Chukkwagon started to argue that it couldn't be an Orky throw if it wasn't an Ork that had thrown it, but remembered in time and just called "On three, you remember that one, roight?" "Ooch aye, thems as comes after two and afore lots, I recall!" With a mechanical whine and gut-busting grunt of effort, the Trukk slid out of the chuckhole and gouged it's way up onto the road again. "That's done it, let's get this back onto da road and get back to the yard before the Boss decides he wants some more boys at da front!"

These should count for the Themed Group bonus, right?

For these guys, I tried using stone finish spray paint to fleck them with mud, I think it worked out pretty well for a quick fix.

For these ones, I tried to simulate smoke staining with diffuse black spray paint, unfortunately it didn't work as well.

This month's figures were HARD to photograph for some reason, I've even tried a new point and shoot camera instead of the phone but it's still not working the way I would like.

Haydrian fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Aug 29, 2013

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?
I've been using the brushes I won on this month's Oath and I've really enjoyed them. I can't say that I have had a chance to get much use out of the double ended feature and I've never used high quality brushes before but these have been a real step up from the army painter brushes I normally use. I do miss the larger handles of my army painter brushes but the new brushes seem to hold paint and keep a nice spring to them without frizzing out and that is important to me since I'm pretty hard on my brushes in general.

Zhent
Oct 18, 2011

The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time.

Zhent posted:

Hey, I think I am getting the hang of this oath thing... 3/3 so far... But NOVA is in 28 days? Someone didn't plan appropriately....

I, Zhent, oath... these!

That is 12 Ravenwing Bikes - 5 Ravenwing Command, 7 Ravenwing Black Knights, from Games Workshop. There is one model primed white, and all the bikes are primed black.

The other models that I have to paint - because some of them have some slight paint on them in places, they don't qualify for the Oath per se, but since they all have to be done by August 28, I took a picture anyways...

24 models. 28 days. While planning a wedding. No problem.

While I leave for NOVA in 10 hours with 3 unpainted models, I can declare this Oath Complete

The Jurnal is claimed with the dirt / grime on the bikes treads - in some cases it does come up the side of the model as well, where I tried to model some more dirt.

Also, while I do not want to clog down this thread overly much with non-oath related photos, I feel like this has enough Oath-related material in it to count.

Ravenwing Army Complete

I am constantly amazed at the level of painting almost everyone in this thread seems to be able to achieve. It seems like every time I refresh the page there is someone else posting an incredible mini. However, this is the first army I have ever painted to [almost] completion - it's missing 3 models at this point, and one of those I intentionally left primed for the seminars I am attending this weekend. I'm proud as hell of my progress - every model in that picture was either a part of an Oath or a test for an Oath. Hopefully I can keep it up through the rest of the year and pick up some more tips from this and the 40k thread. Thanks!

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

Yeah, I don't have any bonus points to hand out this month, but goddamn.

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused
Oath Complete

Detektuv’s Jurnal

The entire iron golem has been weathered with a layer of rust. I hit the metal scrap on the base with it as well.

This is my diorama entry. I would like to claim a diorama on the kobold-a-pult. Here's my pre-painting picture for that:

It's wood scrap, plastic sprue scrap, a half a cork, some greenstuff, some random toothpicks & nails, etc etc. I feel the randomness suits the subject matter.

In Battle

It turns out the rusted old sword guardian was not quite as inactive as the tribe had hoped.

This is a conversion project. Holy cow, were these guys fun to modify. Some examples below:

Finally, the kobolds are also a Themed Group.

Iris of Ether fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Aug 30, 2013

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Smurfs don't lay eggs! I won't tell you this again! Papa Smurf has a fucking beard! They're mammals!
Alrighty, this was a terrible month for me to oath in, but I'm convinced I'll get this done by Sat.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
Oath complete!

Detective's journal: The cultists are all filthy and grimy.

I'm also claiming Themed group.

Android
Apr 20, 2012

Beep Boop Zorp

Leperflesh posted:

Is this a 40k miniature, or is it for Warhammer Fantasy?

Sorry, it's a 40k Ork kannon. The model is an old 2nd edition artillery piece that had rules for the shells to bounce around all over the place and be awesome.

Oath Complete!

Jurnal is the rust on the wheels. Tried out some weathering powder and just kind of brushed it on there dry, hoping some gloss then matte varnish will lock it in place.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Android posted:

Jurnal is the rust on the wheels. Tried out some weathering powder and just kind of brushed it on there dry, hoping some gloss then matte varnish will lock it in place.

The 'fixer' you can get (from AK Interactive and other companies) is probably just matte medium thinned a bit with water anyway. There's a DVD from Vallejo for scale modelers (Youtube link for the whole video) (done by Mig Jimenez, the super-famous scale modeler who loves tanks) that shows how to use pigments in various styles. Basically use white spirits (not mineral spirits, those are for oil washes) to 'set' the pigment in place, then go over it with thinned matte medium. Or thinned gloss medium, if you want a wet mud look.

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Smurfs don't lay eggs! I won't tell you this again! Papa Smurf has a fucking beard! They're mammals!
The pigment fixer from Secret Weapon is some kind of enamel just based on what I've heard from reviewers on youtube. I've had reasonable success with mixing a bit of matte medium with the powder to make a kind of paste.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Yeah - I meant to add in my previous post (got carried away getting the bookmarked links) that the Vallejo DVD tells you how to mix the pigment to get different colors, how to fix it in place with the thinned medium, how to mix it with whatever medium to get clumpy, dry or wet mud - it's about 45 minutes and DEFINITELY worth a viewing. If I'd known about it when I posted the challenge for this month I would have added a link to it!

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Germ posted:

Slimnoid - I saw your post about weathering powders over on the 40k thread. Are you using Secret Weapon, or another brand?

I'm using a no-name brand a customer had given me a year ago or so, but you could use the Secret Weapon powders no problem.

Monoliths
Jul 7, 2009

Zhent posted:

Ravenwing Army Complete

Ffffffffffffffff I fuckin love full bike armies, these are totally rad. Where did those attack bike bases come from? It kills me they don't come with a base, but yours really tie them in nicely.

Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!
:siren: Oath Complete! :siren:

Starting with this month's log, this Freebooter has suffered just a bit of wear while at sea:

These Skinwalkers are a themed group:

And more oaths:

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Those drat water bases of yours are ridiculous.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
How the HELL did you do those waves? :stare:

Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!
It is fairly simple, actually! I paint the water portion of the base with Exile Blue and then blend in wavy lines of Menoth White Highlight while the blue is still wet. After sealing the complete miniature I will outline where I want the water to go with water effects + white paint for the foam, then fill the rest in with plain water effects shaped in an appropriate manner. The last step is to glaze the water>foam transition point with Exile Blue then drybrush the whole thing with white.

Brock Samsonite
Feb 3, 2010

Reality becomes illusory and observer-oriented when you study general relativity. Or Buddhism. Or get drafted.

OATH COMPLETE and all that jazz.

Weathering Detail

So I tried to do paint chipping, but I'm afraid the metal I used came out way too dark. Actually I'm not satisfied at all with my weathering attempt and will probably not try it again the same way.

And since it was late and I was silly about it, THE BAG I OATHED!

Yep, still the same bag.

Blending in with Halls-World camouflage.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Brock Samsonite, that's an interesting way of painting that I've never really seen before; I can't totally tell what's freehand and what's highlighting. Those big waves on the front of the vehicle are super neat and I like them a lot. What I'm trying to say is that your tank rules.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

Red Shoe posted:

It is fairly simple, actually! I will do a video and/or photo tutorial in the Painting and Modeling Megathread or Sole.Sushi will consume in fire all that love and hold dear, up to and including my very own face!

:colbert:

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

I know I'm going to regret this, but Red Shoe, can I ask how much time you spent on your monthly oath. I just want to know what sort of input I'd have to strive for to get that combination of quantity and quality.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

thespaceinvader posted:

:siren:Oath Complete:siren:

Claiming the Jurnal for this month - Weathering - in the form of the rusty maces and armour on the 3 grunts, and the rust on the hilt of the shaman's sword. It's a little :effort: but I tried. Also claiming Themed Group for the Orcish war party, shaman, 3 grunts, and their pet cave bear.

Will try to get some better photos later on, but I'm not likely to win any prizes for these, so...

So, I did a lightbox (I still need to get a couple more lamps for proper effect, and probably do some white balancing but again, lovely paint on lovely minis so meh for this month) and captured some more useful photos:

The face is incredibly loving derpy, but the OSL is actually not awful, which is kind of a shock for me.

A closer view on this guy, showing the rust on his mace and armour.

A better groupshot of the three of them, again for the weathering.

Rear view.

Oh, poo poo guys, they turned their pet bear on us (their shiny, shiny bear, matt varnish my rear end; where can I get dullcote in the UK?)

E: and yes, MOULD LINES :spergin:, but with these minis, scraping off the mould lines would actually remove most of the mini...

Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!

You are in luck, I was planning to do WIPs for the Galleon I am painting next month.

counterspin posted:

I know I'm going to regret this, but Red Shoe, can I ask how much time you spent on your monthly oath. I just want to know what sort of input I'd have to strive for to get that combination of quantity and quality.

I feel bad saying this, but I didn't have all that much time for painting this month since I was gone all but one of the weekends which is when I do my longer stretches. I worked maybe 1-2 hours most weekday nights and painted Fiona over the course of about 6 hours on the weekend I was home.

This is the result of a lot of practice during which my projects took much longer, though. I use a lot of washes and layer my highlights with matte medium, I feel both can produce good results relatively quickly.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
So about 10 hours a week minimum, plus several hours most weekends usually? Sounds pretty good. I have wondered how you get that mass of models done each month! I've got a laptop setup that I've gotten my girlfriend (oop, now fiancee) used too over time, so she's used to it now...sucker!!

thespaceinvader posted:

where can I get dullcote in the UK?)

I got mine from The Troll Trader on ebay (user thetrolltrader I think), in a 3-pack for I think 14-15 quid, but there are shops that sell it as well online. Troll Trader is an Oath Thread Sponsor, I should add! :) And quick-ish shipping, too.

Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!

krushgroove posted:

So about 10 hours a week minimum, plus several hours most weekends usually? Sounds pretty good. I have wondered how you get that mass of models done each month! I've got a laptop setup that I've gotten my girlfriend (oop, now fiancee) used too over time, so she's used to it now...sucker!!

Probably about 13 on average? The timing is spotty since painting time = podcast time, I will usually work for the duration of an episode then take a break for a while. I think my most productive few months was when I discovered Radiolab.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Red Shoe posted:

It is fairly simple, actually! I paint the water portion of the base with Exile Blue and then blend in wavy lines of Menoth White Highlight while the blue is still wet. After sealing the complete miniature I will outline where I want the water to go with water effects + white paint for the foam, then fill the rest in with plain water effects shaped in an appropriate manner. The last step is to glaze the water>foam transition point with Exile Blue then drybrush the whole thing with white.

Show us. Is Water-Effects that easy to sculpt?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Love the skimmer! Have you done any Super Dungeon Explore-type (chibi) miniatures? The limited palette would look great on them.

And love that you went with the oathed baggie idea :v:

thespaceinvader posted:

E: and yes, MOULD LINES :spergin:, but with these minis, scraping off the mould lines would actually remove most of the mini...
Nnnnope, just don't scrape (those are soft plastic boardgame minis right?), but shave the protruding lines off with a new hobby knife blade, and greenstuff the sunken ones (like on the bear's fur). Looks much better, though it's up to you if those minis deserve that kind of effort.

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

Oath COMPLETE!
Themed Group

Glad I got these guys done. Trying to do non-standardized troops is trickier than I thought it would be. The idea is that the boss and the underboss have green cloaks because their loyalty has been bought for Khador, and that the normal guys have white cloaks because their loyalty remains where it has always been, with the bosses.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Oath Complete!

And all due apologies, but I seem to have misplaced the larger version of this pic, so I had to steal it straight from the kickstarter page. As for the log, my weathering unfortunately makes the wreck marker look a bit older and dustier here, rather than recent and explodey.

Edit: updated with better pic.

Fix fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Aug 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

krushgroove posted:

I got mine from The Troll Trader on ebay (user thetrolltrader I think), in a 3-pack for I think 14-15 quid, but there are shops that sell it as well online. Troll Trader is an Oath Thread Sponsor, I should add! :) And quick-ish shipping, too.
Wanted to second this: the troll trader is awesome! I bought a bunch of Dreadfleet scenery from them on eBay and it arrived really quickly in tons (and tons) of bubblewrap. If you're tempted by their stuff then go buy it!

Aso, congrats on the engagement, krushgroove! Did you get a timestamp?

• Locked thread