Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

The guy heer cann't stop mispeling simpel words which are corected by spellhcek. He is a manager.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Subject: THE GUY HERE ATTN: THIS THREAD

I like to capitalise my subject lines so that they appear important and nothing like spam.

Edit. The guys here with Ipads end up with so many autocorrect spelling and grammar gently caress ups it's unbelievable.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I have senior staffers who cannot resist dumb Outlook stationery. It doesn't cause problems or anything, but it just looks so unprofessional to me.

piss boner
May 17, 2003

Dick Trauma posted:

Holy poo poo it's a long weekend? :supaburn:

It sure is. The installation I work on is gonna be a ghost town today. :3:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

guppy posted:

I have senior staffers who cannot resist dumb Outlook stationery. It doesn't cause problems or anything, but it just looks so unprofessional to me.

Our HR department had to mandate Outlook signatures because a good dozen people had comic sans in hot pink letters as their sig.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Sweevo posted:

theres a guy here..... who writes like this..... like he just....... starts jabbing the . key...... every time he pauses.......

I used to make frequent (but reasonable) use of the ellipses, until I worked with a guy at my last job who did that. Never a single period, always at least three of them. The man managed to run a form of punctuation for me.

As for content, I am :yotj:ing for the second time since the inauguration of the :yotj:! Moving back to my home state, going back to being a real Linux Admin (instead of what is essentially a middleware configure-er), getting a nearly 50% raise, and moving to an area where housing in general is cheaper (I probably won't be paying much less for rent, but I won't be paying $850 for a studio apartment).

One thing I won't miss about my current job: work management and job planning. About three weeks ago I got a ticket requesting VMs for a vendor app with no project timeline or docs so I ask for a timeline and the vendor docs and forget about the ticket until I hear back from them. Three weeks pass, the guy has no timeline except "we want to use this in September" and he's uploaded the docs to "the K: drive". We don't have standard share mapping or anything, so no clue what the K: drive is. Also, they want a status report on the VMs on Friday and I still didn't have the docs until the project manager (the boss of the person who sent in the ticket) uploaded them to enterprise file sharing site at 9:30 PM last night.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from
WE HAVE A FEW WHO PUT IN TICKETS AND WRITE EMAILS IN ALL CAPS. SOMETIMES I FEEL LIKE RESPONDING AND TELLING THEM TO STOP YELLING AT ME.

chia
Dec 23, 2005
Subject: "The Guy" here writes his entire email on the loving subject line regards "the guy"

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Found out today that our department knows the details to the patient wifi test account. Even the University partnership programmer gets it, but when I ask for it when it's mentioned they go "You don't need to know everything. gently caress you. I have to pay for a data plan to do occasional checks and stay available for push notifications, while we have a wifi around the whole complex and actually have details for it.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
"That guy" at my last job would speculate about the causes of every issue? With questions after each line? Maybe he had taken one comp sci course in college and thought he knew what he was talking about? Or he had read the ticket closing emails and pulled random things from there to suggest?

sfwarlock fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Aug 29, 2013

Glans Dillzig
Nov 23, 2011

:justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost:

knickerbocker expert

BurgerQuest posted:

Subject: THE GUY HERE ATTN: THIS THREAD

I like to capitalise my subject lines so that they appear important and nothing like spam.

Edit. The guys here with Ipads end up with so many autocorrect spelling and grammar gently caress ups it's unbelievable.

I work with a lot of Navy guys, and they always mash caps lock for their subject lines. I think it's a byproduct of all the emails they get from their customers like that.

Fake edit: security clearance process begun! Hello major increase in hire-ability :getin:

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

The guy here never uses a subject line in his emails, ever. And he ends all his emails with:

Sincerely,

And that's it. No name or signature line at the bottom. :what:

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

wa27 posted:

The guy here never uses a subject line in his emails, ever. And he ends all his emails with:

Sincerely,

And that's it. No name or signature line at the bottom. :what:

At some point he probably had auto signatures turned on for every email and then it got turned off and he forgot.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Dick Trauma posted:

Holy poo poo it's a long weekend? :supaburn:
A good 2/3rds of our on-call rotation have unilaterally declared themselves to be "unreachable" this weekend. Should be good times, gooooood times.

Glans Dillzig
Nov 23, 2011

:justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost:

knickerbocker expert

Fil5000 posted:

At some point he probably had auto signatures turned on for every email and then it got turned off and he forgot.

I was guilty of that for a couple weeks after I got my computer replaced. Not my proudest moment, but whatever.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

hihifellow posted:

WE HAVE A FEW WHO PUT IN TICKETS AND WRITE EMAILS IN ALL CAPS. SOMETIMES I FEEL LIKE RESPONDING AND TELLING THEM TO STOP YELLING AT ME.

We have six different departments (all do the same job but in different regions) that do that but they have no contact with each other, ever. Their management structure is completely different too.

I really want to know how that happened, it's amazing. Sometimes I can't help myself but use all caps myself but it feels so wrong :ohdear:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

incoherent posted:

A decision that could of only been made in a Microsoft manager committee. See: shutdown button in vista.

I haven't done much in cmd.exe in a long time on servers. I think its a good move.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

incoherent posted:

A decision that could of only been made in a Microsoft manager committee. See: shutdown button in vista.

Vista doesn't hold a candle to Windows 8 when it comes to obtuse shutdown buttons.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

coyo7e posted:

I nearly got totaled last year, by a cop who was going a good 15 over the posted (30 mph) speed limit, who was busy looking down and to the side as he poked at his laptop with one hand, all the while drifitng more than 6 feet into my lane.. And there was a bicyclist on my right side!

gently caress cops with laptops.

I don't get why firefighters would need a lot of IT equipment, though. Not like you can mount that poo poo to your chest and run around a burning building with it.

I've been in IT for a long time, as well as a sometimes paid and mostly volunteer firefighter.

There is no reason for most of the IT being put into trucks.

Yes, floor plans, MSDSs, battery locations on cars, etc. You know how we have gotten those for years? In the binders and books on the truck. They are well organized and never crash.

The best uses of laptops in trucks is for computer aided dispatch, who's usage is questionable at best in a truck. Chief's car, sure.

I just don't get it. Literally everything you could need in an engine, ladder or rescue is better served by what we've had for decades, with the addition of a GPS for out of district calls where your driver might not be familiar. And even then, the officer can just read a paper map and navigate like we've been doing for decades. Hell, out dispatch still gives us a map page and grid location for every call.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Aug 29, 2013

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Motronic posted:

I've been in IT for a long time, as well as a sometimes paid and mostly volunteer firefighter.

There is no reason for most of the IT being put into trucks.

Yes, floor plans, MSDSs, battery locations on cars, etc. You know how we have gotten those for years? In the binders and books on the truck. They are well organized and never crash.

The best uses of laptops in trucks is for computer aided dispatch, who's usage is questionable at best in a truck. Chief's car, sure.

I just don't get it. Literally everything you could need in an engine, ladder or rescue is better served by what we've had for decades, with the addition of a GPS for out of district calls where your driver might not be familiar. And even then, the officer can just read a paper map and navigate like we've been doing for decades. Hell, out dispatch still gives us a map page and grid location for every call.

I see your point, but I hate your argument. "Why upgrade, the current way has worked for decades?" is not a valid reason, navigating by map is slower and less efficient most of the time. So are things like hazmat code lookup etc. Sure bring a backup booklet if you cant gurantee your systems to work, otherwise even that becomes redundant with proper equipment checks.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Someone here ends every sentence like this.. Is that a period or an elipsis.. Because the sentences could mean something completely different depending on the punctuation..
Like, "Maybe it's a problem with the router.." OK, is it a problem with the router, or is there some subtext I'm missing here?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
There are times I almost wish we lived in some pseudo-fascist dystopia where there exists a department of language that monitors the populace and reassigns those who are too liberal in their grammar and punctuation to reeducation camps.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
So I thought about one of the old threads and did this yesterday:

Too much? I should probably do blue arrow ones manually every once in a while to keep them mysterious.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
So you know how I said a few weeks ago we were getting RAID for the server?

The RAID card, the extra power supply, and the four 3TB platter drives have been sitting on top of the server for the last two weeks because we can't possibly take the server down for a few hours to properly secure over a million dollars worth of code. :suicide:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

SEKCobra posted:

I see your point, but I hate your argument. "Why upgrade, the current way has worked for decades?" is not a valid reason, navigating by map is slower and less efficient most of the time. So are things like hazmat code lookup etc. Sure bring a backup booklet if you cant gurantee your systems to work, otherwise even that becomes redundant with proper equipment checks.

That's not at all my point.

My point is that as someone who works in IT it is on average SLOWER to access the required information using a laptop. The books are that easy and well laid out.

Now imagine someone who isn't a "computer guy" (read: most firefighters) doing this.

Unless you have experience as a firefighter I'm not really sure how valid your opinion is, as you just don't know how it works. And tell me what a proper systems check is for a ToughBook, how long it takes, and how I can get someone who doesn't know anything about computers to competently perform one along with the rest of the daily truck check.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

quote:

So can you tell us what the effect of not renewing the add-on antivirus license would be? I'm not sure if we use it.

I think most likely the answer is that it won't work. You should probably figure out if you use it :|

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

We have a new guy that started this week who I've been training to be my replacement. He doesn't have a badge or formal facility access yet, but he's been added to the authorized guest list and is just waiting for the paperwork to go through.

Anyway, he didn't sign the log book in the server room since, you know, he works here. The IA troll saw this and tattled on him to the IT Director rather than just letting him know that he had to sign in. This is the same rear end in a top hat who did a Nessus scan, detected that out NetVCR was running FreeBSD, and then sent an email to upper management telling them we were breaking regulations by running unauthorized software on our network.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I have a "that guy" that is guilty of
Subject: CAN ONE OF YOU GUYS CALL ME I HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THE SCREEN IT KEEPS SHOWING A POP UP AND I DON'T KNOW IF I SHOULD PRES[outlook cuts off the rest]
Body: [blank]

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
Content:
Looks like an outlook issue I thought was fixed was in fact still rampant because nobody wanted to 'bother' me with it. Im not sure if i should report it to the Sr because his fix last time made me have to manually regenerate the profile of every outlook user in the company.

YOTJ:
I found out ive been shortlisted for an IT role which is extremely close to home for me. maybe a 20 minute walk in the summer. Just waiting on a phone call to schedule the interview

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

blackswordca posted:

YOTJ:
I found out ive been shortlisted for an IT role which is extremely close to home for me. maybe a 20 minute walk in the summer. Just waiting on a phone call to schedule the interview

Bout loving time. If he offers you anything, anything at all, TAKE THE JOB.

IamJacksAlcoholism
Apr 29, 2013

Liquor ipsum dolor sit amet golden dream stolichnaya; jose cuervo ballantine, brandy manhattan! General sherman ramos gin fizz blue hawaii. Glendronach myers grog pisco sour ketel one kamikaze bananarita oban glen keith dufftown. Negroni montgomery, murphy's cuba libre rum swizzle. Vodka martini
A ticket came in...

:supaburn: Help! We have a Server 2008 R2 machine that meets all requirements and the install keeps failing!!!

:eng101: Does it have SP1 installed?

:supaburn: No. Is that a requirement?

:tizzy: wha-...I...did you even look at the system requirements? :suicide:

Edit: I wish I could set up an autoresponder that said RTFM. That would end up solving about 98% of the cases that come in. On the flip side, it makes it more embarrassing when I personally run into an issue and the answer turns out to be RTFM :doh:

IamJacksAlcoholism fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Aug 29, 2013

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Migishu posted:

Bout loving time. If he offers you anything, anything at all, TAKE THE JOB.

What sort of animal sacrifice pleases Canadian gods? I'll build an altar in my backyard for this.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

IamJacksAlcoholism posted:

A ticket came in...

:supaburn: Help! We have a Server 2008 R2 machine that meets all requirements and the install keeps failing!!!

:eng101: Does it have SP1 installed?

:supaburn: No. Is that a requirement?

:tizzy: wha-...I...did you even look at the system requirements? :suicide:

It's just as bad as
:v: help, I can't figure this out, I've read all the troubleshooting materials and there's nothing in it that solves my problem!
:eng101: have you tried <open troubleshooting materials> ^C ^P this?
:v: that solved it, thanks!

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Paladine_PSoT posted:

What sort of animal sacrifice pleases Canadian gods? I'll build an altar in my backyard for this.

Some poutine and a sixer of Molson ought to do the trick.

IamJacksAlcoholism
Apr 29, 2013

Liquor ipsum dolor sit amet golden dream stolichnaya; jose cuervo ballantine, brandy manhattan! General sherman ramos gin fizz blue hawaii. Glendronach myers grog pisco sour ketel one kamikaze bananarita oban glen keith dufftown. Negroni montgomery, murphy's cuba libre rum swizzle. Vodka martini

Paladine_PSoT posted:

What sort of animal sacrifice pleases Canadian gods?

You must mean the "Old Gods of the Forest"? Worshiped by the Children of the Forest and the First Men?

Worshippers of the Old Gods do not have elaborate ceremonies, holy texts, hierarchies of priests, or large structures of worship like followers of the Faith of the Seven. Instead they practice quiet contemplation in godswoods.

Winter is coming

:dance:

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Toxteth OGrady posted:

One of them, has 8GB of RAM, and a 32 bit OS. wtf?
This is both a WTF and thing that I have seen myself (started a new job and the machine they'd bought for me had 6GB of RAM / x86 OS "because some of our code won't work on x64" - fair enough, but why the extra 2GB? I never got a good explanation for that)

Toxteth OGrady posted:

no one but me knows that its got 4x as much RAM as standard.
In the year 2013, why the hell does your standard machine only have 2GB of RAM? You're deploying an OS modern enough to have 32 and 64 bit versions, and I don't think ANY of them are happy with only 2GB of RAM.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

ookiimarukochan posted:

This is both a WTF and thing that I have seen myself (started a new job and the machine they'd bought for me had 6GB of RAM / x86 OS "because some of our code won't work on x64" - fair enough, but why the extra 2GB? I never got a good explanation for that)
PAE works, believe it or not. It's probably hard for them to even order a machine with less than 8GB

ookiimarukochan posted:

In the year 2013, why the hell does your standard machine only have 2GB of RAM? You're deploying an OS modern enough to have 32 and 64 bit versions, and I don't think ANY of them are happy with only 2GB of RAM.
Linux.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Maple syrup

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

We had one group that needed 32bit Win7 for some lovely application that was taking forever to get updated. They got the same laptops as everyone else with 8GB of RAM. It cost like $30 extra or something insignificant like that and their laptops will get reimaged with 64bit Win7 before too long (some already have) now that the application has been updated. If we hadn't done it that way we would need to get approval and then order the extra RAM individually each time we switched one to 64bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piss boner
May 17, 2003

psydude posted:

The IA troll saw this and tattled on him to the IT Director rather than just letting him know that he had to sign in.

Our IA troll got caught up in the furlough and wasn't renewed for employment. A few weeks ago he had every contractor removed from the access roster because "contractors couldn't be trusted".

piss boner fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Aug 29, 2013

• Locked thread