Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Aw man, I feel like I got pants in public with my junk flapping in the breeze, my bad :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Renoistic posted:

The whole "Shanks being a Yonko"-thing confused me a bit when he showed up at Marine HQ. When does the show first mention the Yonko, and when is it mentioned that Shanks and White-Beard are members?

When Garp met up with them at Water 7 he explained what they are and specifically said that Shanks and Whitebeard were members. Kaido and Big Mom's silhouettes were also shown but they weren't named until later in the series.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Ah OK, thanks! It's been a good while since I watched that part and I only remembered him mentioning Dragon during his visit.

EDIT: It's pretty funny how none of Luffy's crew was present during the most important battle (Marine HQ) of the whole series so far. Sure, they weren't even close to being strong enough to do much (even Luffy just barely survived) but it's still pretty funny. I liked it though. The crew had gotten pretty stale, and this was a good way to shake things up a bit. I hope the crew-members' individual adventures do something to develop their characters some, like how this arc forced Luffy to handle loss for once.

EDIT: Aaaand of course now comes Luffy's and Ace's tragic origin story just because I said he's never had to experience loss :v: I had just assumed that he had stayed in the peaceful town he met Shanks in, and that Ace had already left for the seas at that point. Can't wait to see what's in store!

EDIT2: I think the postage for each Shonen Jump would cost as much as the subscription, unfortunately.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Aug 27, 2013

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Senor Candle posted:

Why hasn't everyone here already subscribed to Weekly Shonen Jump. If you don't do it you're a jerk.

Not all of us are from glorious Eagleland mate! :v:

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Prison Warden posted:

I'm in Canadaland, so I could get it but i'd have to pay double the U.S. prices

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Just got past Luffy's / Ace's back story. It's been apparent for a long time that the current government is completely hosed up, and this arc proved that even East Blue is affected by it. Oda was uncharacteristically merciful by letting most of the dump residents live though, considering it was a flashback and all! Now I'm just waiting for an arc that explains that Arlong got his hatred of humans from getting hosed over by the government, or being sold as a slave. Sure, the Snake Princess said that not everyone with a sun tattoo has to be a former slave, but it would make all kinds of sense.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Aug 27, 2013

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

Parrotine posted:

Aw man, I feel like I got pants in public with my junk flapping in the breeze, my bad :(

Since you're already feeling bad, I don't think it will hurt to let you know that the past tense of pants would be pantsed.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Renoistic posted:

Now I'm just waiting for an arc that explains that Arlong got his hatred of humans from getting hosed over by the government, or being sold as a slave.

You're in luck!

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Drakkel posted:

You're in luck!

Can't wait to see if they actually go as far as making Nami team up with him... (don't tell me, please).

If he actually was a slave, then him branding Nami is just really sad.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Aug 27, 2013

Tarodia
Jan 13, 2008

Winners don't do drugs

Prison Warden posted:

Do you live in the UK, Ireland, South Africa, Australia, or New Zealand? Than good news!

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Renoistic posted:

Can't wait to see if they actually go as far as making Nami team up with him... (don't tell me, please).

If he actually was a slave, then him branding Nami is just really sad.

Everything about the Fishmen is awesome, then sad, then kind of run into the ground. But then some whale sharks do their life is fan-loving-tastic smile thing and it's all good.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Parrotine posted:

I'm in Canadaland, so I could get it but i'd have to pay double the U.S. prices

Sorry about your maple based economy. :smug:
To be honest though I still think that's a fair price for what you're getting.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Tarodia posted:

Do you live in the UK, Ireland, South Africa, Australia, or New Zealand? Than good news!

Thank you for this. Signing up now.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
What did everyone think of Sabo? I hated him and would be happy if he were dead, but I know better. Ace was so much cooler.

...man, I sound like a terrible person...

But seriously, his story of the rich kid that wants to live free or whatever (while very One Piecey I guess) is so cliche and he wasn't particularly interesting as a character. Also he was voiced by that white-haired kid from Bleach, so that might have made me hate him a bit more.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Shadow0 posted:

But seriously, his story of the rich kid that wants to live free or whatever (while very One Piecey I guess) is so cliche and he wasn't particularly interesting as a character.

His backstory is essentially the same as Ace and Luffys, not surprisingly since they were all in the flashback together, but regardless it appears to me to be like calling Ace and Luffy dull. They're not dull because we've seen them in the present and seen them do cool stuff that's made us like them, even when flashing back to their past. I'm sure if/when Sabo comes back (and I fall on the side that it's probably when) Oda will do something to make him both cool and likable too. The flashback could probably have been done before Marineford though at the very least, so he didn't feel quite so ham-fisted in his introduction.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

In my opinion, the line Sabo had about the Nobility being the real trash fit so well in context that it made me empathize with him. That one line totally sold me on him. Nice job once more, Oda. :)

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

Shadow0 posted:

What did everyone think of Sabo? I hated him and would be happy if he were dead, but I know better. Ace was so much cooler.

...man, I sound like a terrible person...

But seriously, his story of the rich kid that wants to live free or whatever (while very One Piecey I guess) is so cliche and he wasn't particularly interesting as a character. Also he was voiced by that white-haired kid from Bleach, so that might have made me hate him a bit more.

Wasn't he voiced by Naruto?

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Yeah, Sabo was voiced by the VA for Naruto, leading to them adding filler of the trio sneaking in to try ramen. The white haired kid is voiced by Romi Park, who has done poo poo loads of roles including Edward Elric and Temari.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
The Sabo re-emergence to the story is gonna be like Obito's re-entry in Naruto. . Calling it now.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Allarion posted:

Yeah, Sabo was voiced by the VA for Naruto, leading to them adding filler of the trio sneaking in to try ramen. The white haired kid is voiced by Romi Park, who has done poo poo loads of roles including Edward Elric and Temari.

I guess I can't tell them apart. I don't like Naruto either so it doesn't help. Something about the voice bothers me.

I think it was just because he felt so forced into the plot or something that made me not like him. I never felt like their bond was very brotherly. Childhood friends, maybe, but brothers? I don't know.

Hopefully he does pull a Coby and I like his adult form. It's a possibility. He might have even eaten a fruit.

Shadow0 fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Aug 28, 2013

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Crazyeyes posted:

The Sabo re-emergence to the story is gonna be like Obito's re-entry in Naruto. . Calling it now.
The end of One Piece is going to be DragonGarp D. Sabo planning to wrap the earth in a bubble of his Conqueror's Haki, the "Will of D", to hypnotize everyone into an alternate reality. Luffy will defeat him together with Ace resurrected from the Fire Fire fruit, along with all the world's previous fruit users resurrected from their fruits. Blackbeard does a 180 personality switch and helps out momentarily. Nami has her one moment of glory which amounts to hitting a few mooks with lightning or something. At the end, Frankie summons the 'Yang' version of the Going Sunny, the Going Darky, to combine into the most glorious mecha ever seen. The mecha does not complete one of its right arms because that would be too embarrasing. Garp has a one on one with Shanks just because he can and it's fun. Also Gol D. Roger invented everyone's moves.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Aug 28, 2013

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Very nice Bisse, I like where you went with that bit :cawg:

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Bisse posted:

The end of One Piece is going to be DragonGarp D. Sabo planning to wrap the earth in a bubble of his Conqueror's Haki, the "Will of D", to hypnotize everyone into an alternate reality. Luffy will defeat him together with Ace resurrected from the Fire Fire fruit, along with all the world's previous fruit users resurrected from their fruits. Blackbeard does a 180 personality switch and helps out momentarily. Nami has her one moment of glory which amounts to hitting a few mooks with lightning or something. At the end, Frankie summons the 'Yang' version of the Going Sunny, the Going Darky, to combine into the most glorious mecha ever seen. The mecha does not complete one of its right arms because that would be too embarrasing. Garp has a one on one with Shanks just because he can and it's fun. Also Gol D. Roger invented everyone's moves.

Well I was thinking more like he is a high ranking lieutenant of a yonko or becomes the general of the world government army to hunt down luffy (brainwashed) or something, but that works too, I guess.

Crazyeyes fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Aug 28, 2013

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Sabo was a great counterpoint to Ace. Young Ace's whole thing was that he was doomed to live in his father's shadow, the shadow of a father he didn't even have the benefit of knowing. On the other side of the coin was Sabo, who was forced to live in his father's shadow by his actual father, whose presence was an impediment to everything he wanted to accomplish. Both of them wanted to be pirates to escape their fathers, but for Sabo it was a choice. He's on the free will end of the spectrum, with Ace on the other end all but forced into the lifestyle, and Luffy in the middle having the choice between living as a Marine or a pirate (AND NOTHING ELSE) thanks to his lineage.

Sabo is important because he reinforces the theme that living your dream is HARD. In a world where seemingly 99% of the population is poor and oppressed, he's one of the wealthy elite. He should be able to do whatever he wants, right? But no, wealth and status carry their own burdens. You can't buy your way to your dream. You have to fight for it every step of the way, even if it means your (apparent) death.

But more than anything, he's set up to be an incredibly interesting character. He's going to be interesting no matter what, because we'll get to see how getting blasted and saved affected his thinking. Did his ideals emerge unscathed? Did his goals change? What does he live for? I can't wait to see adult Sabo. He's going to be what Luffy or Ace COULD have been, if someone had been there right at the beginning to crush their dream.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Zombie Samurai posted:

Sabo was a great counterpoint to Ace. Young Ace's whole thing was that he was doomed to live in his father's shadow, the shadow of a father he didn't even have the benefit of knowing. On the other side of the coin was Sabo, who was forced to live in his father's shadow by his actual father, whose presence was an impediment to everything he wanted to accomplish. Both of them wanted to be pirates to escape their fathers, but for Sabo it was a choice. He's on the free will end of the spectrum, with Ace on the other end all but forced into the lifestyle, and Luffy in the middle having the choice between living as a Marine or a pirate (AND NOTHING ELSE) thanks to his lineage.

Sabo is important because he reinforces the theme that living your dream is HARD. In a world where seemingly 99% of the population is poor and oppressed, he's one of the wealthy elite. He should be able to do whatever he wants, right? But no, wealth and status carry their own burdens. You can't buy your way to your dream. You have to fight for it every step of the way, even if it means your (apparent) death.

But more than anything, he's set up to be an incredibly interesting character. He's going to be interesting no matter what, because we'll get to see how getting blasted and saved affected his thinking. Did his ideals emerge unscathed? Did his goals change? What does he live for? I can't wait to see adult Sabo. He's going to be what Luffy or Ace COULD have been, if someone had been there right at the beginning to crush their dream.

And this right here is why he will be the greatest villain of the series. He will force luffy to decide between his dreams and his friends when Sabo stands opposing him on Raftel. He will be the Obito character who seeks to destroy the dreams of the world because he had suffered horrifically at the hands of his own dream and is now mentally deranged.

He'll also have the most sick-nasty top hat this side of the Grand Line.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Crazyeyes posted:

And this right here is why he will be the greatest villain of the series. He will force luffy to decide between his dreams and his friends when Sabo stands opposing him on Raftel. He will be the Obito character who seeks to destroy the dreams of the world because he had suffered horrifically at the hands of his own dream and is now mentally deranged.

W-whoa this would actually be sicknasty.

I mean i'm 100% certain Sabo is coming back, but I always thought of it as him being a good guy. But if he actually came to hate the world after those events and is now angry and messed up, that would be seriously interesting when him and Luffy meet.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Crazyeyes posted:

I don't think this is what will happen for two reasons. First, the series has already built up two big bads for Luffy to overcome in the form of Akainu and Blackbeard, and I don't think there's room for another. They already represent the biggest roadblocks to Luffy achieving his dream, authoritarian corruption in Akainu and amoral competition in Blackbeard. Both have hands in dealing Luffy the greatest emotional blow of his life (in one case literally), and have since progressed to positions where they can stand directly in his way.

As a side note, I think Blackbeard is most likely the final, final, FINAL villain of the whole thing because of the duality between him and Luffy. His introduction to the series established that he has the same dream and approach to life as Luffy, but quickly clarified that he is absolutely amoral about it. He's very much the dark version of Luffy, willing to backstab and betray to achieve his dream where Luffy has to double down on faith and friendship. It's the ultimate showdown of ideologies in a series about chasing your dream, because they're the only two that are really, REALLY after the same thing. Whitebeard even foreshadowed this when he proclaimed that Blackbeard would never be able to claim One Piece. It's both a challenge to Blackbeard and a portend that Luffy will best him.

Secondly, and perhaps more importantly, the series has placed entirely too much emphasis on friendship and its role in pursuing your dreams to set the two concepts opposed. Entire story arcs have culminated with Luffy declaring he'd be nothing without his friends. Furthermore, Luffy's dream is less about finding One Piece and more about the freedom and relationships the journey brings. If he had to choose between reconciling with Sabo and reaching Raftel, there's absolutely no question that he would choose Sabo. It's too classic a trope for One Piece, I think...a broken Sabo forces Luffy to "choose", Luffy wins Sabo over with the power of friendship, and they continue on to Raftel arm in arm anyway (or Sabo dies nobly after completing his character arc). It ends up not being a real choice, just an affirmation of friendship which the series doesn't need anyway.

Personally, I think Sabo is going to be the catalyst that gets Luffy focused on bigger issues. Even after all these years, Luffy has tunnel vision on One Piece. He's run afoul of the Navy, World Gov't, and Celestial Dragons plenty of times, but only on his way to his goal. Meeting Sabo will likely be the bridge between Luffy and his father, and if he's as messed up as I think he'll be, will also be the point at which Luffy realizes his place in the world. Luffy's on track to become one of the most influential people on the planet, but remains oblivious to it. Much like Ace's death made him rethink his relationship with his crew, Sabo's fate will make him rethink his relationship with the world. The World Gov't has been established as a huge shadow villain, but since Enies Lobby that thread hasn't really been explored. Sabo is perfectly situated to spark off a direct conflict between Luffy and the establishment.

I totally agree about the top hat, though.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I'd say that Blackbeard is the penultimate villain. Finding One Piece and conquering the Grand Line are just the adventure. Aikanu and the World Government on the other hand are direct impediments to the true dream: Freedom. Rivals to the title of Pirate King are just jerks looking to rain on a fun adventure. The world government wants to outlaw all adventures, and that just can't be tolerated.

Abitha Denton
Jan 10, 2012
Why do Blackbeard and Sabo even have to be different characters? Obviously Sabo's skin was burned in the explosion, his hair turned black and scraggly from the damage, and he lost a bunch of teeth. He gained weight from overeating due to the trauma and now he's returned to Teach the world a lesson.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Abitha Denton posted:

Why do Blackbeard and Sabo even have to be different characters? Obviously Sabo's skin was burned in the explosion, his hair turned black and scraggly from the damage, and he lost a bunch of teeth. He gained weight from overeating due to the trauma and now he's returned to Teach the world a lesson.

Because Black Beard was a grown man years before the story began sailing with White Beard. I am pretty sure he is seen in flashbacks from long before. He is significantly older than luffy and ace are. Approximately the same age as Shanks.

Just saw that last sentence. You trolling, son.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Obviously the Darkness Fruit also slows down/stops aging. Duh. I mean, accelerates it. Then stops it. Yeah.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Abitha Denton posted:

You mean Blackbeard ate Sabo and merged together.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Kild posted:

You mean Blackbeard ate Sabo and merged together.
Obviously when Blackbeard encountered Sabo's almost-dead body he used his nanomachines to implant it into his body so he could use another devil fruit.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Has anyone else been having issues with the official website? When I try and play episodes there the player doesn't buffer properly and it's constant starting and stopping. It's like I'm trying to stream a video in 1999.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Gyges posted:

It's like I'm trying to stream a video in 1999.

Only if it crashes and there's nothing but a RealPlayer logo until you reload the page.

Anyway, are you using Adblock? From my recollection the Hulu player they user for past episodes does not like that thing at all.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I have Hulu set as an exception for adblock. The weird thing is that I can see it buffer properly, then all the sudden the buffer jumps back. Like it's buffering a a few minutes ahead and then suddenly dumps everything in the buffer.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

Gyges posted:

I have Hulu set as an exception for adblock. The weird thing is that I can see it buffer properly, then all the sudden the buffer jumps back. Like it's buffering a a few minutes ahead and then suddenly dumps everything in the buffer.

Did you try a different browser?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Looks like it was adblock. Apparently for older videos adblock sees it as Hulu content but for the new ones it didn't. But only on Sundays, for some insane reason. I thought it was weird that if I watched the new episode on Sunday there weren't any ads, but since it was one day a week chalked it up to weirdness.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Gyges posted:

Looks like it was adblock. Apparently for older videos adblock sees it as Hulu content but for the new ones it didn't. But only on Sundays, for some insane reason. I thought it was weird that if I watched the new episode on Sunday there weren't any ads, but since it was one day a week chalked it up to weirdness.

Well the newest episode uses the regular flash player, it's only the previous episodes that use Hulu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Gyges posted:

If you don't turn ad block off until you actually need it you're terrible.