Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

MuonManLaserJab posted:

Buyin' some monitors at work. Yell at me if there's a better place to ask this, but I was wondering if there would be an easy way to build a switch between four PCs (linux boxes, really) and four monitors. As in, each person has a monitor, and can switch their monitor to display any person's second-screen output at will.
This sounds like something you could use a video-over-IP solution for. Otherwise you'd need 4 4-way KVM boxes and 4 4-way DVI splitters, which aren't going to be cheap--each box is probably $50 or so, so $200 total, minimum, and a crap-ton of wires. Gefen has some specialty products that will do pretty much exactly what you want, but they're expensive ($800+).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
I'm very tempted by the catleap, but I'm worried about how much a gamble they are. There's a $340 one on newegg, will buying it through them give me some protection as far as returns go?

I've also heard there are some problems with using them with a vesa mount. Does anyone have experience with that?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

tractor fanatic posted:

I'm very tempted by the catleap, but I'm worried about how much a gamble they are. There's a $340 one on newegg, will buying it through them give me some protection as far as returns go?

I've also heard there are some problems with using them with a vesa mount. Does anyone have experience with that?
Check the return policy. If it's actually sold by NewEgg and carries their usual return policy, that's a pretty big plus (I highly doubt this is the case--the cheapest "real" store I know selling those types of monitors is MicroCenter at ~$400). If it's just in their marketplace or whatever and they have nothing to do with it, I'd imagine returns would still be a giant pain in the dick--generally after 30 days NewEgg bows out and you're left dealing directly with whoever actually sold it.

Some specific models don't have standard VESA mounting holes. Most do, however, but it's best to confirm with whatever particular model you're looking at buying.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I just bought a Qnix (matte) and hot drat if this isn't the best thing I've spent money on in YEARS. No dead pixels, minimal backlight bleeding, $280 with free shipping and it got here in 48 hours? It's drat near criminal that they are trying to charge $700 over here for the exact same panel! I opened up EU IV after overclocking to 110hz and fiddling with the color, and it was like someone threw a bucket of paint in my eyes. My TN panel looks like a bloody newspaper in comparison to this thing.

No words, I need to get another one and ditch all my TN immediately.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
I'm glad you're happy with your new monitor, but don't kid yourself about why they're $300 and not $700: sure, a bit of that gets eaten up in slapping Dell or ASUS or whatever on the front, but there's a reason they're cheap. Case in point, my wife bought a Crossover a few months back, and today it wouldn't turn on. A little of investigating and a screwdriver later, I've got a driver board sitting on front of me with what appears to be a blown op-amp. Warranty return is, of course, a hilarious option, so now I'm cruising the web seeing if I can find a replacement board.

That said, if I wasn't leaving for another country for the better part of a year soon I'd probably have a pair of Qnix or similar monitors on the way to my desk as we speak.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I'd ask them to send you a new board if you've already opened it and found the problem.

Or you can swap the opamp?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
Turns out to be a MOSFET. Other people have had luck complaining to whoever they bought the monitor from, so I'm going to try that first. There's actual board damage, though, so even if I could find a replacement bit I'm not confident it would be a smart idea. New boards are available for $45, if I'm left with no other option.

cliffy
Apr 12, 2002

I've had a great experience so far with my Crossover. I think I've had it well over a year it's still going strong. Seriously, 2560x1440 on an IPS is gorgeous.

SSGT Anime
Apr 21, 2012

Pretty Cool Name posted:

What are your thoughts on the Asus PB278Q?

I'd like to hear a but more about this, too. Currently I've got my system all built except for a new GPU and monitor (currently using a 9500 GT and a Samsung 1440x900), and I'm thinking about going up to a 770 and 2560x1440 display (an EVGA GTX 770 and Asus PB278Q in particular). While the 770 seems promising even at such high resolutions, it's actually my choice of monitor I'm questioning: 27" seems loving huge, and $550 seems like a lot for just a monitor. Should I just play it safe and get a 24" Dell for (relatively) cheap, or is the Asus a good buy, and / or likely to last me for years to come? I've read through the OP, but are there any other goon approved displays?

SSGT Anime fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Aug 26, 2013

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

SSGT Anime posted:

I'd like to hear a but more about this, too. Currently I've got my system all built except for a new GPU and monitor (currently using a 9500 GT and a Samsung 1440x900), and I'm thinking about going up to a 770 and 2560x1440 display (an EVGA GTX 770 and Asus PB278Q in particular). While the 770 seems promising even at such high resolutions, it's actually my choice of monitor I'm questioning: 27" seems loving huge, and $550 seems like a lot for just a monitor. Should I just play it safe and get a 24" Dell for (relatively) cheap, or is the Asus a good buy, and / or likely to last me for years to come? I've read through the OP, but are there any other goon approved displays?

I haven't personally tried any monitors larger than 24" so I can't insure nuthin', but if price is the issue, you can try buying one of those offbrand Korean monitors for half the price. Poorer build quality, but, from the praise being showered down from the thread, worth it.

SSGT Anime
Apr 21, 2012

GrizzlyCow posted:

I haven't personally tried any monitors larger than 24" so I can't insure nuthin', but if price is the issue, you can try buying one of those offbrand Korean monitors for half the price. Poorer build quality, but, from the praise being showered down from the thread, worth it.

I thought about it, but it seemed pretty sketchy. If people are singing their praises I'll look into it a bit more, though. Anything else I should know, other than the stuff in the OP? The Crossover looks kind of promising, at about half the price.

SSGT Anime fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Aug 26, 2013

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
Not really. If you get an off-brand 27", just know that most of them ONLY support 2560x1440, so you won't be able to use them with most laptops, XBox/PS3, etc, and most only support DVI. Not an issue for most people, but something to know about. Other than that, just consider that a monitor is the primary way you interact with your computer, and a good one will last 5+ years easily. Skimping on one by getting a TN (unless you're really just playing games) or whatnot is kinda silly, especially if you've poured good money into the rest of the computer.

The Korean models are very good deals, in terms of price:performance. You take more of a risk than with brand-names of that caliber, though, as most of them use A- panels (so higher probability of a few dead/bright pixels, and the build quality isn't nearly as good--the stands are generally pretty crappy, and there's a higher chance of getting one with gaps near the edges and whatnot. That said, the vast majority of people who have bought one have had positive experiences, and consider the risk and minor defects to be well worth it, considering the price.

DrDork fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Aug 26, 2013

Mr. Talent
Feb 25, 2013
Quick question (read OP and didn't see this monitor mentioned):

I'm looking for a monitor for my 1080p gaming rig that I'm going to build with components to run on high/ultra as well as watching the NFL Sunday ticket -

I was thinking the Dell U2312hm mentioned but I saw on amazon the Asus VS247H-P Full HD LED-Lit LCD monitor for about $137 with amazon prime and rebate. Is this an IPS monitor? Which would you suggest I get? Any pros and cons? Just want the gaming on ultra and football on Sundays to look as pretty as possible. Thanks for the help!

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Mr. Talent posted:

I was thinking the Dell U2312hm mentioned but I saw on amazon the Asus VS247H-P Full HD LED-Lit LCD monitor for about $137 with amazon prime and rebate. Is this an IPS monitor?

No. You can tell because it doesn't advertise that it is, and the viewing angles are 170° or 160° as opposed to ~178°.

Mr. Talent
Feb 25, 2013

unpronounceable posted:

No. You can tell because it doesn't advertise that it is, and the viewing angles are 170° or 160° as opposed to ~178°.

Thanks - I was slightly confused because they included a note talking about IPS monitors so I was unsure.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Anandtech posted their review of the Monoprice Zero-G Slim 27" IPS display. Do not buy this monitor, brightness control is implemented incorrectly and completely fucks the image. It seems like rather than reducing the backlight brightness it just reduces the contrast of the image.

Alereon fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Aug 26, 2013

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Mr. Talent posted:

Thanks - I was slightly confused because they included a note talking about IPS monitors so I was unsure.

Yeah. Amazon pages aren't always the best for looking up these kind of specs, so I looked at the ASUS website to double check.

Saba
Jul 25, 2007

Nap Ghost

Alereon posted:

Anandtech posted their review of the Monoprice Zero-G Slim 27" IPS display. Do not buy this monitor, brightness control is implemented incorrectly and completely fucks the image. It seems like rather than reducing the backlight brightness it just reduces the contrast of the image.

Really disappointed to see this, explains why I thought mine was so bright all the time.

SSGT Anime
Apr 21, 2012
So it looks like I should be buying a Crossover from Dream-Seller?

If a pixel comes in borked, can I just try to massage it out like a regular old monitor?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
You can try, but chances of success are low, just like with a regular monitor.

carb0nex
Nov 5, 2012
I have two 23' monitors with VESA mounts. I thought about buying this, however, I really wanted something that had legs as a base instead of a clamp. I'd like something that have the amount of pivots and rotations of that stand above, but with legs.

Anybody have a recommendation?

Momonari kun
Apr 6, 2002
Yes, you needed video.
I'm looking at some of the 27 inch Korean monitors and was wondering how they perform in OS X, particularly in regards to GPU scaling. I know Windows drivers have them, and so running stuff that is lower resolution should be fine, but does anybody know the situation in OS X? Dumb question, but are BIOS screens going to be a problem?

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.

carb0nex posted:

I have two 23' monitors with VESA mounts. I thought about buying this, however, I really wanted something that had legs as a base instead of a clamp. I'd like something that have the amount of pivots and rotations of that stand above, but with legs.

Anybody have a recommendation?

It kind of needs to be a clamp so it won't fall over. If it had legs they would have to be obnoxiously large.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007
Question: I'm getting annoyed with the ergonomics of my setup. I have 2x20" Dell Ultrasharps, each in landscape orientation, but stacked one above the other. I use the computer for coding (hence wanted a taller display and having bezels horizontal and not splitting lines of text). I also do a little gaming and photo-editing. But the ergonomics kinda sucks, and the bezel still splits text horizontally, so I'm thinking of changing up.

I'm looking to upgrade to a new dell 30" U3014 since they're 30% off this week, keep one 20" in portrait orientation next to the 30", and the other 20" on my laptop. Is it worth waiting for the new 4k monitor? I would not spend $3500+ for the monitor, but if there is something new at the top end of the market, will Dell lower their price on the now 2nd tier U3014? Or since the 4k 32" will be double the price of the 30", are these going to be pitched at different market segments so there would be no reason to discount?

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

Captain Postal posted:

I'm looking to upgrade to a new dell 30" U3014 since they're 30% off this week, keep one 20" in portrait orientation next to the 30", and the other 20" on my laptop. Is it worth waiting for the new 4k monitor? I would not spend $3500+ for the monitor, but if there is something new at the top end of the market, will Dell lower their price on the now 2nd tier U3014? Or since the 4k 32" will be double the price of the 30", are these going to be pitched at different market segments so there would be no reason to discount?

The only way Dell would significantly lower the price of the U3014 would be if there was a 4k display from a major manufacurer that was priced competively to the U3014. I don't see this happening anytime soon.

30" Monitors currently fall into the following price tiers:

4k High End (Asus): $3500

2k High End (U3014): $1000 - $1200

2k Discount (Korean Specials): ~$600

Then you also have the outliers like the 4k 39" Seiki for $700 that's limited to 30Hz.

In the near future you probably won't see much movement on the price of the high end 4k monitors which means that there isn't much reason to move the price of the 2k monitors. If monitor yields start getting better then we might see a slight decrease in the price of the 2k displays but propbably nothing significant. We also might start seeing some 4k Korean knock-offs but they would probably still be priced at $1500 - $2000 and most likely be limited to 30Hz.

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.
I posted earlier about this: purchased a glossy Qnix 27" from dream-seller. It was delayed from the typhoon in China. 12 days after the order I was told it would ship soon. The next morning I was then told it wasn't available and that I could get a matte monitor or a refund. I didn't reply, and that night I saw they shipped the order, and it looks like they did. The price is about $100 more now than when I bought it, so I'm glad I was patient.

I imagine a lot of the sellers are in the same situation, but I'd suggest using another eBay seller for the time being. So far things have worked out, but I don't think I'd want to wait two and a half weeks for an expensive monitor again.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

Newegg has the ASUS VG248QE (the 144Hz one) for $240 until September 4, I know Gonkish was looking at this at one point.

I'm pretty tempted to get one myself but I'll probably just stick with keeping my PC hooked up to the TV for the time being.

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,
Apologies if this was mentioned already, but how does the U2312 compare to the HP 23bw?

Notbuckethead
Jan 27, 2009

Quack.:smug:
I picked up a Crossover 27Q LED-P; when it arrived it appeared to work at first, but after a couple of minutes it would do this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVALNWA3Pb4

When I contacted support they eventually sent me another PCB, which upon replacing, had the same behavior. Not sure if the monitor is borked or it's just my PC's configuration causing the issue. (I'm running a GTX560Ti with latest drivers / win7 ) Any ideas?

edit: fixed video permissions

Notbuckethead fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Aug 29, 2013

Guni
Mar 11, 2010

Notbuckethead posted:

I picked up a Crossover 27Q LED-P; when it arrived it appeared to work at first, but after a couple of minutes it would do this:

When I contacted support they eventually sent me another PCB, which upon replacing, had the same behavior. Not sure if the monitor is borked or it's just my PC's configuration causing the issue. (I'm running a GTX560Ti with latest drivers / win7 ) Any ideas?

Your videos set to private..

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

Notbuckethead posted:

edit: fixed video permissions

checked the pins are straight? tried it in safe mode without the drivers? does your mobo have a vga/dvi out you can test to eliminate the card being a problem? know anyone with a laptop/other computer you can borrow to test it on? Got another monitor/tv you can plug into the computer to test the computer? if it's doing that on other sources then it looks busted to me. It could be something simple like a bent pin (but probably not)

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Does the OSD look right?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

So this kinda happened earlier in the week.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

MDDY
Mar 21, 2008

I finally decided to buy a u2312hm after deliberating for about a month or so about whether I actually needed a new monitor. It is slated to replace my ~10 year old 20" Viewsonic. I'm hoping that it should be a a quite noticeable upgrade. It is a hard deal to pass up currently. I got a like new one off of the Amazon Warehouse for ~$178.

Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005
I just bought an NEC EA294WMI-BK 29" 2560x1080 IPS display new from an Amazon reseller for $327.00 shipped. Am I making a huge mistake? I know 2560x1080 is a wacky resolution and that people generally prefer 1440p for the additional vertical resolution, but that's a lot of IPS display for a cheap price. I've also always heard NEC is pretty much the best brand money can buy. What am I missing? Is this monitor just cheap because of the odd resolution?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Cmdrmonkey posted:

I just bought an NEC EA294WMI-BK 29" 2560x1080 IPS display new from an Amazon reseller for $327.00 shipped. Am I making a huge mistake? I know 2560x1080 is a wacky resolution and that people generally prefer 1440p for the additional vertical resolution, but that's a lot of IPS display for a cheap price. I've also always heard NEC is pretty much the best brand money can buy. What am I missing? Is this monitor just cheap because of the odd resolution?
It's normally around $800 so that's a good price. Did you notice the seller's 63% positive rating?

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

It's normally around $800 so that's a good price. Did you notice the seller's 63% positive rating?

Ouch. I was going to ask what the catch was, because that price was way too low to be believable.

Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Must be a different seller now. I bought it last night from a seller with a 96% out of 2726 ratings. It was the last one in stock. I'm assuming it's legit. We'll see how it goes. Someone else posted a review saying they got one for $350 and it was fine.

Dick Fagballzson fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Aug 30, 2013

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It could be that the 63% seller put it for that price (who knows why?), and the 96% seller dropped theirs to match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005
I have no idea what the story is, but if this goes through and is legit, this could be a pretty amazing deal.