Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
If you've somehow managed to never have a friend who insisted you watch it because it's "so loving cool", Boondock Saints is up and it's not as bad as people tend to say it is based on its biggest fans. It's ridiculous, but certainly watchable and goofy fun (I would put it on a similar level to Dredd).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

regulargonzalez posted:

Anyone use Netflix on a tv with a built in app? Having some weird problems with Frasier -- basically, 99% of older episodes are not available to watch. I'm on season 4 on a rewatch and skipped most of S1 and parts of S2. I want to go back and watch them, but only a couple episodes from S1 and S2 -- the ones I did watch -- show up when I select Frasier -> All Episodes. Everything Season 4 and on is fine.

I've had a few Netflix streaming devices that will only show a total of 100 episodes of any series, and it will randomly pick which blocks and episodes to show. Sort of bad with long running shows like TNG and South Park.

It makes me sort of wish that they'd go back to letting you do individual seasons in addition to full series in order not to miss out on episodes.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009

precision posted:

If you've somehow managed to never have a friend who insisted you watch it because it's "so loving cool", Boondock Saints is up and it's not as bad as people tend to say it is based on its biggest fans. It's ridiculous, but certainly watchable and goofy fun (I would put it on a similar level to Dredd).

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Parachute
May 18, 2003

JediTalentAgent posted:

I've had a few Netflix streaming devices that will only show a total of 100 episodes of any series, and it will randomly pick which blocks and episodes to show. Sort of bad with long running shows like TNG and South Park.

It makes me sort of wish that they'd go back to letting you do individual seasons in addition to full series in order not to miss out on episodes.

Likewise. This is exactly what happens with my BLU Ray player but not my Roku or PS3.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

precision posted:

This just convinced me never to watch Dredd.

JediTalentAgent posted:

Ah, that's annoying. Thanks!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I am hardly the biggest Dredd fan but that does an incredible disservice to Dredd. Boondock Saints is a bad movie and there are like a dozen Tarantino ripoff movies from the 90's that blow it away.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Boondock Saint's is average, but holy poo poo did I have the misery of seeing Boondock Saint's 2 a few years back. If you want a terrible movie with zero redeeming quality's to it, check that turd out.

PointedLizora
Jun 30, 2007

regulargonzalez posted:

Anyone use Netflix on a tv with a built in app? Having some weird problems with Frasier -- basically, 99% of older episodes are not available to watch. I'm on season 4 on a rewatch and skipped most of S1 and parts of S2. I want to go back and watch them, but only a couple episodes from S1 and S2 -- the ones I did watch -- show up when I select Frasier -> All Episodes. Everything Season 4 and on is fine.

If blocks of episodes aren't showing up on your tv, you can go to them on your computer, start up one of the hidden episodes, stop and go back to your tv. It will open that block up (and likely remove a different block)

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.

mr.capps posted:

I thought Dredd was going to be a fun action movie but instead it was a boring action movie. The shootouts weren't interesting and the slow motion was really just gimmicky. It frustrates me because I enjoyed Urban's and Headey's performances and liked the fact that it wasn't an origin story, but it just felt like it lacked any substance.
To me it seemed like Anderson's origin story. The movie gave her background, and she was the one that displayed agency and growth. Dredd seemed like such a non-character that he could have been replaced by a robot sidekick and it wouldn't have changed the movie for me. Although, I've never read Judge Dredd and know nothing about it (other than Ronald McDonald was in it once).

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

regulargonzalez posted:

Not really answering your question but I commend you for watching Frasier all the way through.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

precision posted:

I'll give you that it's not really a bad movie, just kinda average, but christ it should be illegal to say it's on the same level as Dredd. Dredd owns.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

regulargonzalez posted:

This just convinced me never to watch Dredd.

Don't listen to this man. Dredd is so much better than Boondock Saints.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Dredd is a superior movie to Boondock Saints just over using Impact instead of boring Times New Roman Italic in the main titles.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Benagain posted:

Don't listen to this man. Dredd is so much better than Boondock Saints.

I agree that it's better, just not dramatically better. It has its own, different set of issues.

The only plot issue that bothered me (with Dredd) was how Control even let Peach Trees go into War Mode when they knew two Judges were inside. That kept nagging at the back of my brain.

grahf987
May 11, 2009
Kind of late, but Saxondale really is awesome. Its like watching your old pathetic/compelling neighbor/dad dick around with people. My favorite character is a squatter (played by Coogan) who changed his name to Keanu Reeves. Its the first thing Max recommended to me and im in its debt for it, even though it has been pretty hit and miss after that. Also watch The Trip, not just funny but has an air of melancholy to it also.

vorbis vorbilby
Apr 9, 2001

d-beat dad

precision posted:

I agree that it's better, just not dramatically better. It has its own, different set of issues.

The only plot issue that bothered me (with Dredd) was how Control even let Peach Trees go into War Mode when they knew two Judges were inside. That kept nagging at the back of my brain.

You're assuming Control or the Judges are actually competent. You can kinda see how they're not when the next two Judges arrive at Peach Trees.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
I've started watching Dredd. It is pretty fun so far. The action scenes have been fun and the violence is well done. So far the slo-mo scenes have been shot well enough that I haven't found them aggravating. Also Karl Urban's :reject: is pretty amusing.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

AngusPodgorny posted:

To me it seemed like Anderson's origin story. The movie gave her background, and she was the one that displayed agency and growth. Dredd seemed like such a non-character that he could have been replaced by a robot sidekick and it wouldn't have changed the movie for me. Although, I've never read Judge Dredd and know nothing about it (other than Ronald McDonald was in it once).

I don't know, i think by the end of the movie you know a lot about dredd just based on stuff he does.

-Even though he's a representative of a, basically, fascist organization, he gives the squatter guy in the entrance of peach trees a chance to leave before arresting him for vagrancy. This might not seem like a big deal, but i think if you consider how dredd is, and how he says anderson should be, it's significant.

-Dredd is actually pretty clever, he figures out the judges that come are after him and anderson because the first one he meets never asks about anderson. Also he figures out that Mama is trying to keep the guy they arrested from getting out of Peach Trees alive so he can't become an informant. He does these, i think, pretty realistically, drawing obvious conclusions without knowing too much.

-Dredd tries not to kill children, he sets the lawgiver to stun before shooting the two kids that try to assault him near the elevator.

-Dredd is willing to pass Anderson on her evaluation because he realizes she's a deeply principled person and could help megacity one, even though, technically, she failed by allowing the red haired kid to leave.

-We also learn that dredd is a notorious and dangerous person from the deal the corrupt judges make with Mama.

-Dredd realizes that what they are doing is hopeless, that they can't respond to every crime or even most crimes, but he still does his job. There are obvious conclusions we can draw from this.

I actually thought this was an interesting way to handle judge dredd in a judge dredd movie. It involves almost no telling and almost all showing. It doesn't slap you in the face with character development, but it's definitely there if you look.
I don't think there's a comparison to make between dredd and boondock saints in regard to general quality.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Chichevache posted:

I've started watching Dredd. It is pretty fun so far. The action scenes have been fun and the violence is well done. So far the slo-mo scenes have been shot well enough that I haven't found them aggravating. Also Karl Urban's :reject: is pretty amusing.

The practical effects were really great too such as for the Slo Mo drug bust scene, they blasted the stunt men with compressed air for the rippling skin effect to simulate the shock wave from the door breach charge.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Christmas Miracle posted:

I actually thought this was an interesting way to handle judge dredd in a judge dredd movie. It involves almost no telling and almost all showing. It doesn't slap you in the face with character development, but it's definitely there if you look.

I generally agree but I thought the actual script could have been a lot better. It dips many times into territory that is a little too cheezy, or more cheezy than is necessary, like The Crow also did (which I think is a more meaningful comparison than Boondock Saints).

Didn't need Dredd spouting one-liners, I think the atmosphere would have been more effective without that kind of thing. But the actual direction and aesthetic were great.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

etalian posted:

The practical effects were really great too such as for the Slo Mo drug bust scene, they blasted the stunt men with compressed air for the rippling skin effect to simulate the shock wave from the door breach charge.
I was specifically wondering about that scene. It was beautifully done and the ripple effect was excellent.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Chichevache posted:

I was specifically wondering about that scene. It was beautifully done and the ripple effect was excellent.

He's a neat short feature on the challenges of shooting the slo mo scenes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrgFvtg9q0g

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Please nobody watch The Boondock Saints. It's an obnoxious, unfunny, unclever, uncreative, boring piece of poo poo. The dialogue is obviously trying to rip off Tarantino. Troy Duffy thinks the swearing is what made Pulp Fiction funny, to the point of including a character with Tourette's just so he could have more swearing. The action scenes are horribly filmed and boring. The ham-fisted inclusion of various religious images is a hilarious attempt to make Duffy look like an auteur. To top it off, Willem Dafoe's character is gay just so he can call another gay man a fag. It's bad.

Edit: On the other hand, Dredd owns, and is much better than The Boondock Saints.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

etalian posted:

He's a neat short feature on the challenges of shooting the slo mo scenes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrgFvtg9q0g

Thanks for this, it is an excellent little piece.

Finished Dredd and I found it enjoyable. I could see myself paying to see a sequel. The story was not amazing, but it also didn't need to be. My chief complaint about the film would have to be the way they utilized special effects. The super slo-mo was beautiful, as was the way they introduced the city. However the god awful digital blood was everywhere. They did excellent blood in some scenes, but the gatling gun scene in particular was littered with horribly fake digital blood. Considering how professionally done the fallen corpses were or Mama's death I can't see why they would choose to half rear end it elsewhere.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
I think The Raid is better action movie than Dredd for a similar basic concept.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Dredd is an amazingly middling film, why have we been discussing it for 4 pages?

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
You heard him, pack it up boys!

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Breakfast All Day posted:

Dredd is an amazingly middling film, why have we been discussing it for 4 pages?

Because it's the kind of big budget action spectacular that died out twenty years ago to be replaced with increasingly sterile disaster movies. It's rare when a movie like this comes around, and even rarer when it's this well-made. It's also a relatively new release, and those always get a lot of attention right at the start.

You could always, I dunno, suggest another movie to talk about? Seems kind of churlish to complain about the direction of a conversation you're not actually participating in.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I submit that a far superior big budget action spectacular is The Good, the Bad, and the Weird. Everyone go watch that and report back with your impressions!

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

You know what I found most awful about Boondock Saints?

EVERYONE YELLED THEIR DIALOGUE THROUGH THE WHOLE MOVIE AND IT GAVE ME A SPLITTING loving HEADACHE WHY IS EVERYONE SO LOUD PLEASE STOP YELLING!

It was so goddamn exhausting.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I submit that a far superior big budget action spectacular is The Good, the Bad, and the Weird. Everyone go watch that and report back with your impressions!

Gave it another watch and it is a lot of fun, a fine mix of gags and action. 5 stars.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

iv46vi posted:

I think The Raid is better action movie than Dredd for a similar basic concept.

Both of those movies own pretty drat hard.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs
I thought The Raid was pretty one-note, and I actually found the fights extremely boring. I don't remember it too well any more, but I do remember feeling like none of the punches actually did any damage to anyone. Like no matter how well-executed and meaty an attack was people would just kind of shrug them off. I know that's not strictly the case with every punch, but the whole thing just reminded me of an ineffective slapfight. Wait, is it even on Netflix?
Whereas Dredd is one of the finest action movies of the last decade. Undoubtedly the best comic book movie ever made. I bought my Dredd and The Raid blu rays at the same time, and I can't see myself ever watching The Raid ever again, but Dredd is something I'll always want to watch, by myself or, preferably, introducing it to friends.

And Boondock Saints is a self-congratulatory violence fantasy pile of poo poo.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009
Watch Overnight if you must watch something Boondock Saints related. Its essentially Troy Duffy being this guy for 90 minutes (ie absolutely clueless):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCRmmgfh7hQ

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I don't think Boondock Saints is terrible- it's mostly okay with a few memorable elements, most of which are named Willem Dafoe. I've no idea how it attained a cult following among the bro crowd- it's one of many QTesque crime movies, more or less competently made, with one good quotable line. Others of its ilk are more violent, more outrageous, etc.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

I don't think Boondock Saints is terrible- it's mostly okay with a few memorable elements, most of which are named Willem Dafoe. I've no idea how it attained a cult following among the bro crowd- it's one of many QTesque crime movies, more or less competently made, with one good quotable line. Others of its ilk are more violent, more outrageous, etc.

If we're going kinda limp, morally suspect '90s Quentin Tarantino ripoffs, I'd pick Thursday, myself.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

Shanty posted:

I thought The Raid was pretty one-note, and I actually found the fights extremely boring. I don't remember it too well any more, but I do remember feeling like none of the punches actually did any damage to anyone. Like no matter how well-executed and meaty an attack was people would just kind of shrug them off. I know that's not strictly the case with every punch, but the whole thing just reminded me of an ineffective slapfight. Wait, is it even on Netflix?

It's on the UK version but not the US one.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Everybody keeps saying The Raid is better than Dredd, but I find that hard to believe for no other reason except that there is no Dredd in The Raid.

I'm not a huge fan of just plain old violent action movies in particular, but I enjoyed the hell out of Dredd because of all the little things that were symbolized throughout the film (things that have already been brought up in the thread).

Honestly, even if Dredd had no Dredd and was just some badass cop, I probably wouldn't like it as much.

Basically, the :reject: makes the movie

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Any goodwill I might have had toward this movie was blasted away by the dumb ending. Action was decent, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Yes the Raid has some really cool fights but I definitely prefer Dredd. The characters in the Raid are a bit one note, whereas Dredd, Anderson, Ma-Ma and Kay are great. Though I did used to read 2000AD as a teenager and I saw Dredd first so this is probably unsurprising.

I've been watching Star Trek (the original series) and I'm nearing the end of season three. I notice Netflix has the animated series as well. Is it worth watching?

• Locked thread