Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Most Nintendo games are a lot more generic looking these days but I still maintain that (a) Returns is gorgeous, and (b) the original DKC trilogy is a lot more cartoony than you want to admit. Don't the characters even do bug-eyes when they see a boss, like straight out of Battletoads? I know they do in at least one of those games.

e: Quote from Reggie trying to poke the hornets nest

quote:

During an interview with IGN, Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime defended Wii U's value proposition for consumers this Fall.

“It’s all about the games. The competitive systems have announced their launch lineups. I’m allowed to say ‘Meh,’” Fils-Aime said. “I look at our lineup of titles and I feel good about our lineup. We’ve got Zelda. We’ve got Mario. We’ve got Donkey Kong. In addition to great titles like Pikmin 3 and Wonderful 101, I feel very good about our lineup, and I feel very good about the value proposition we’re putting out there for the consumer.”

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Aug 29, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Quest For Glory II posted:

Most Nintendo games are a lot more generic looking these days but I still maintain that (a) Returns is gorgeous, and (b) the original DKC trilogy is a lot more cartoony than you want to admit. Don't the characters even do bug-eyes when they see a boss, like straight out of Battletoads? I know they do in at least one of those games.

They also beatbox and shred guitar.

But yeah when a boss shows up they do a cartoon jaw-on floor look with eyes popping out.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

AngryCaterpillar posted:

The originals weren't realistic, but uniquely surrealistic. Whereas the newer ones are more generic in their aesthetics and tone. I don't really have anything else to say about it.
The same can be said about the Mario series, to be honest. The 8 bit pixelation of SMB1, the completely surreal 2, the very muted SMB3, and the vibrant almost manga-like style of Super Mario World. Rather different than the more standardized look it all has today. Honestly I can forgive a lot when the gameplay is as good as DKCR was though.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

absolutely anything posted:

AngryCaterpillar is a man who is weirdly fuckin' particular about his Donkey Kong Countries

Is the music in DKCR cheerful like the Mario games? The somber tunes in the originals added a lot to the moody atmosphere despite being a game about monkeys stomping lizards.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

AngryCaterpillar posted:

God drat it I hate the aesthetics of the new Donkey Kong games.

Compare Dixie here

to here

She looks practically the same to me but without the Deliverance eyes that are too close together.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

GUI posted:

Is the music in DKCR cheerful like the Mario games? The somber tunes in the originals added a lot to the moody atmosphere despite being a game about monkeys stomping lizards.

David Wise is back.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2C8XRQyfu2Y

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

GUI posted:

DCKR has a similar tone to the original games, and as bushisms pointed out David Wise is returning for Tropical Freeze.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

God drat that new bonus game looks nasty. :getin:

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Tropical Freeze looks pretty cool and Wise's music sounds great, but the dynamic camera angles they're playing around with makes me wish they (or someone else I guess) were having another crack at a 3D Donkey Kong platformer instead.

I realise that this is being made because DKC Returns sold a trillion copies, and that people might still be a bit wary of 3D DK after Donkey Kong 64 (even though I thought it was okay :shrug:), but I'd still like to see another attempt made.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Box of Bunnies posted:

Tropical Freeze looks pretty cool and Wise's music sounds great, but the dynamic camera angles they're playing around with makes me wish they (or someone else I guess) were having another crack at a 3D Donkey Kong platformer instead.

I realise that this is being made because DKC Returns sold a trillion copies, and that people might still be a bit wary of 3D DK after Donkey Kong 64 (even though I thought it was okay :shrug:), but I'd still like to see another attempt made.

If they made a 3D DK Platformer that was more like the Banjo series than DK64 (in regards to collecting stuff for 100%, I can't exactly pinpoint why right now, but collecting in DK64 was infinitely more annoying than collecting in Banjo-Kazooie or Banjo-Tooie), I'd buy it.

But Tropical Freeze looks awesome either way, and I wonder who the fourth playable character is. Still no new information in that regard.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Folt The Bolt posted:

I can't exactly pinpoint why right now, but collecting in DK64 was infinitely more annoying than collecting in Banjo-Kazooie or Banjo-Tooie), I'd buy it.

Having to swap between five characters with very different abilities and each with their own set of bananas to collect would be the likely culprit. Also the Banana Fairies.

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

Quote from Reggie trying to poke the hornets nest

I actually agree with Reggie, the games releasing on XONE and PS4 this year don't interest me at all. I've pretty much flip flopped on my opinion of the Wii U recently, I'm enjoying Pikmin 3 and The Wonderful 101 a lot and I'm going to be getting WWHD, DKCR:TF and SM3DW over the next few months. I'm pretty happy with where the Wii U is for the rest of the year, I definitely didn't feel this way a few months ago.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

It's not an unreasonable statement when you're just talking the fall/winter schedule. I expect to get a PS4 fairly soon after it releases, but not particularly on the strength of the launch lineup.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

e: Quote from Reggie trying to poke the hornets nest

He has a point but, glass houses and all that

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Having to swap between five characters with very different abilities and each with their own set of bananas to collect would be the likely culprit. Also the Banana Fairies.

Swapping between five characters weren't that annoying to me (though I wish we had something that'd allow us to swap anytime), but yes: the Banana Fairies were horrible.

And for the matter, the ways to get the Nintendo Coin and Rareware Coin were horrible too... when I was a wee child.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Folt The Bolt posted:

If they made a 3D DK Platformer that was more like the Banjo series than DK64 (in regards to collecting stuff for 100%, I can't exactly pinpoint why right now, but collecting in DK64 was infinitely more annoying than collecting in Banjo-Kazooie or Banjo-Tooie), I'd buy it.

I was thinking something more linear, Mario Galaxy-esque in that regard. I still like stuff like Banjo Kazooie, but we've already seen Donkey Kong in that formula (if taken to the extremes a bit). A different take, focused more on platforming from start to finish even if it is different routes through the one area like, as I said, Galaxy. Donkey Kong Country 3D rather than Donkey Kongzooie.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Box of Bunnies posted:

I was thinking something more linear, Mario Galaxy-esque in that regard. I still like stuff like Banjo Kazooie, but we've already seen Donkey Kong in that formula (if taken to the extremes a bit). A different take, focused more on platforming from start to finish even if it is different routes through the one area like, as I said, Galaxy. Donkey Kong Country 3D rather than Donkey Kongzooie.

That works too. I might just be starved for collectathon platformers.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Folt The Bolt posted:

I think the era of big name collectathon platformers is long over.

There's that "A Hat In Time" game that got kickstarted a while back though. It's anyone's guess as to whether it'll actually be good or not, but it's worth keeping an eye on.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

I think the era of big name collectathon platformers is long over.

There's that "A Hat In Time" game that got kickstarted a while back though. It's anyone's guess as to whether it'll actually be good or not, but it's worth keeping an eye on.

I know. At this point, having a collectathon platformer a lá N64 style is just a fantasy of mine.

Unless "A Hat In Time" will be good. Here's hoping it is.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

weird bleep posted:

I actually agree with Reggie, the games releasing on XONE and PS4 this year don't interest me at all. I've pretty much flip flopped on my opinion of the Wii U recently, I'm enjoying Pikmin 3 and The Wonderful 101 a lot and I'm going to be getting WWHD, DKCR:TF and SM3DW over the next few months. I'm pretty happy with where the Wii U is for the rest of the year, I definitely didn't feel this way a few months ago.

So do I, but in this case I fully expect it's because Reggie has to say that for his company rather than because it's actually his view. It took years for there to be two or three games that interested me enough to get the PS3 (Demon's Souls was a big deciding factor in that). There's yet to be a single game announced for the PS4 that makes me say, "I've got to get that system." (Or the Bone, for that matter, but gently caress getting a Bone.)

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
I think I'm going to bite the bullet and put in a preorder for the windwaker edition. Barring any black friday bundles that I'm not interested in that's probably going to be as good a deal as I'm going to get for a while, right?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Rayman Legends is on the eShop now.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

njsykora posted:

Rayman Legends is on the eShop now.

Wait what? I can't check right now but I thought it came out in a week?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The European eShop.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Regy Rusty posted:

Do we know if the new Donkey Kong game is going to have the slightly easier mode with 3 hearts like the 3DS version of the last one? I want to get it, but based on my experience with the previous game, the simple fact is that I will not be able to beat it if I've only got 2 hearts to work with.

The demo I played at Gamescom had 3 hearts, so presumably yes.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
I gotta say, "A Hat in Time" looks really bad. No idea why anyone cares about it, and I played the hell out of collectathon games when I was younger. Looks horribly sloppy and outdated. If the Kickstarter didn't say BANJO KAZOOIE every other word I can't imagine anyone caring.

whaley fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Aug 29, 2013

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

Folt The Bolt posted:

Donkey Kong 64 is the dream game of the spastic idiot that was me as a child, though ironically I never really played it. There's like a billion things to collect, around 5 characters you can play as, and IIRC at least half a dozen upgrades you can get for each one. If you don't already have an attachment to the game, it's going to come off as a chaotic mess.

I mean, Banjo Tooie erred on the side of collectathon overabundance, but I don't think anything will compare to DK64 and its' goddamn 1500+ bananas to collect.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Don't know if this is a mistake on Amazon's part or it actually is going to release at a lower price point, but Amazon has preorders of DKC: Tropical Freeze at $50. Lego City released at $50 as well, but none of the other (non-remake) first-party games did so :iiam:

Certainly not going to complain if this is a thing going forward, though.

E: Speaking of Amazon and preorders, does anyone know if getting a download version of Sonic: Lost World will include the Nights DLC? I had planned on just downloading it when it came out, but I'll go for the disc if it's not included.

Artix fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Aug 29, 2013

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

miscellaneous14 posted:

Donkey Kong 64 is the dream game of the spastic idiot that was me as a child, though ironically I never really played it. There's like a billion things to collect, around 5 characters you can play as, and IIRC at least half a dozen upgrades you can get for each one. If you don't already have an attachment to the game, it's going to come off as a chaotic mess.

I mean, Banjo Tooie erred on the side of collectathon overabundance, but I don't think anything will compare to DK64 and its' goddamn 1500+ bananas to collect.

Don't forget about how, after collecting all that poo poo, it slams the brakes on you at the very end. You need to beat the original Donkey Kong arcade game. On one goddamn life. Never did beat that game because of that.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Don't forget about how, after collecting all that poo poo, it slams the brakes on you at the very end. You need to beat the original Donkey Kong arcade game. On one goddamn life. Never did beat that game because of that.

I did. :smug:

And I will never loving do that again. :negative: That and the Jetpac game were ridiculously stupid roadblocks to the final boss, as cool and relatively novel as it was that you could play a video game within a video game. If they'd made it less of a pain and more forgiving I would have thought it was a really cool idea.

Which sums up DK64 really well, honestly. A bunch of cool ideas that are painfully executed.

DK Rap still owns though. :whatup:

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Oh man that arcade box was the devil itself. I had a 100% DK64 file but then my copy got hijacked by some jerk who 'borrowed' it.

Fourth character in DKCR2 is probably going to be Engaurd (or however you spell it, the drat swordfish animal buddy), unless they're actually confirming it as a fourth Kong, in which it needs to be Funky. These vikings keep trashing his planes and somebody has to make 'em pay.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Folt The Bolt posted:

This is late but the closest thing i've played to a classic N64 Collectathon game in awhile was Lego City actually. Tons of secrets and extras and they're almost all well hidden and involve goofy platforming poo poo to get to them. Kinda scratched that itch for me.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

TheKingofSprings posted:

I did. :smug:

And I will never loving do that again. :negative: That and the Jetpac game were ridiculously stupid roadblocks to the final boss, as cool and relatively novel as it was that you could play a video game within a video game. If they'd made it less of a pain and more forgiving I would have thought it was a really cool idea.

Which sums up DK64 really well, honestly. A bunch of cool ideas that are painfully executed.

DK Rap still owns though. :whatup:

I was always really baffled that they made Donkey Kong and Jetpac requirements. You'd think they would just each give you a gold banana, rather than items required to reach the final boss.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DarkHamsterlord posted:

I was always really baffled that they made Donkey Kong and Jetpac requirements. You'd think they would just each give you a gold banana, rather than items required to reach the final boss.

It's probably so you can remember that you already beat them, rather than let it be lost amidst all the other golden banana tasks.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

DarkHamsterlord posted:

You get a gold banana for beating the original DK with 3 lives. They really should have reversed the rewards for beating it on 3 lives and one life. I was so pumped for the old school games being in DK64, and had a lot of fun at first, but it's not fun having to play them for hours to get to beat the actual game.

EDIT: Actually, it may have been one life for the golden banana, too. I just remember you have to beat it twice to beat the game.

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Aug 29, 2013

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Commissar Ken posted:

This is late but the closest thing i've played to a classic N64 Collectathon game in awhile was Lego City actually. Tons of secrets and extras and they're almost all well hidden and involve goofy platforming poo poo to get to them. Kinda scratched that itch for me.

Completely agreed, Lego City is by far the best collectathon that I've played in probably a decade. That said, it's one of the only collectathons I've played in the past decade, since no one makes them anymore, but it definitely scratches that itch, especially once you beat the game and can just gently caress around in the city.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Artix posted:

Completely agreed, Lego City is by far the best collectathon that I've played in probably a decade. That said, it's one of the only collectathons I've played in the past decade, since no one makes them anymore, but it definitely scratches that itch, especially once you beat the game and can just gently caress around in the city.

The only bad thing about Lego City is The T-Rex isn't a usable vehicle outside of the one city mission it appears in :argh:.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Artix posted:

Exactly. I think I spent just as much time after I had beat the game dicking around in Lego City as I did playing the story.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The only bad thing about Lego City is The T-Rex isn't a usable vehicle outside of the one city mission it appears in :argh:.

Yeah but I can ride around in a wheelchair as an Indian chief or on a skateboard as Frankenstein or an ATV as a man in a gorilla suit and that's just as good.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Commissar Ken posted:

Exactly. I think I spent just as much time after I had beat the game dicking around in Lego City as I did playing the story.

Yeah but I can ride around in a wheelchair as an Indian chief or on a skateboard as Frankenstein or an ATV as a man in a gorilla suit and that's just as good.

True, but you forgot to mention that it should be a nitrous-powered wheelchair (one of the red bricks unlocks nitrous on everything. And it means everything). Nothing else is good enough and you should know better :colbert:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

weird bleep posted:

I'm actually really interested in Watch Dogs but then at E3 it turned out that'll be on the Wii U so v:v:v

• Locked thread