Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
I'm kind of surprised that you guys can't tell that those are the same two people every time. By that I mean that I basically could tell the coin flip pair had the same voices as the pair in the raincoats on the boat, and once I knew they were showing up every so often it was really obvious they were the bar pair.

EDIT vvvv I noticed the same thing too, but just chalked it up to me somehow not looking in the right spot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
I only just finished the first video but something odd happened at the end. When Dawit was looking through the binoculars there was a juggler and a lady standing on the platform below him. The thing is he looked over there before and after the binoculars and there was nobody there. WTF

Azzur
Nov 11, 2009

Victory.

Gideon020 posted:

THere's a very good reason for that.

You've summed up every major and minor point in this game. There's ALWAYS a reason.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Anonymous Zebra posted:

I'm kind of surprised that you guys can't tell that those are the same two people every time. By that I mean that I basically could tell the coin flip pair had the same voices as the pair in the raincoats on the boat, and once I knew they were showing up every so often it was really obvious they were the bar pair.

It helps that the woman is noticeably voiced by Jennifer Hale. I suppose that she's the Rosalind Lutece Sundowner mentioned in the OP, so maybe she and her brother might be using the anomalies mentioned in the third video to travel around, shield them etc.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
edited out

thiswayliesmadness fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Aug 29, 2013

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

thiswayliesmadness posted:

Are we allowed to spoil future songs they're going to "old tyme" up? I honestly didn't notice this part of the game at all till later on when I took a walk by a 'beach' much further on and heard a popular 80's song. Whoever did the job of converting some of the music was just fantastic.

I've got something to say about that later on, but I'm pretty sure that fall into the no spoilers land.

Doctor Chef
Nov 3, 2005
"Clothes Pigs?"
I found a lot of the song choices to be thematically important so it may technically be considered a spoiler. It's also one of those nice surprises you don't really want to have ruined for you when you get to it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Are we allowed to spoil future songs they're going to "old tyme" up? I honestly didn't notice this part of the game at all till later on [...] and heard a popular 80's song. Whoever did the job of converting some of the music was just fantastic.

95% of people miss that song, and 100% of people have a "what the frak" moment when it's pointed out to them, but I think it can wait. Don't want to spoil the surprise.

And I agree, somebody had a lot of fun making bits of these games. Whoever drew/painted/whateverthetermis those paintings depicting Lincoln? They're so detailed and so well done.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Anonymous Zebra posted:

EDIT vvvv I noticed the same thing too, but just chalked it up to me somehow not looking in the right spot.

I didn't really notice that the coin flippers were also the people from the boat given reuse of incidental character voice actors is pretty common in games but once the bar was hit yeah it was pretty obvious it was the same people all three times.

Speaking of the coinflippers the sandwich board with all those 'heads' results that they were discussing in jaded terms is one of the more terrifying things in any of the three updates if you really think about it, since it suggests that probability doesn't work right in Columbia.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Feinne posted:

I didn't really notice that the coin flippers were also the people from the boat given reuse of incidental character voice actors is pretty common in games but once the bar was hit yeah it was pretty obvious it was the same people all three times.

Speaking of the coinflippers the sandwich board with all those 'heads' results that they were discussing in jaded terms is one of the more terrifying things in any of the three updates if you really think about it, since it suggests that probability doesn't work right in Columbia.

You can flip a zillion heads in a row without effecting the 50/50 probability of heads or tails.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Real hurthling! posted:

You can flip a zillion heads in a row without effecting the 50/50 probability of heads or tails.

Yes, but the number of heads in a row they had achieved was extremely, extremely statistically improbable. Just because it has to happen somewhere, sometime, eventually doesn't mean you shouldn't start to suspect something is wrong with your expectation of the probability after such a result. I'm pretty sure they were engaging in this exact same argument, too.

EDIT: Going back and looking at the video their current streak is 153 heads in a row. While that certainly CAN happen, given all the other weird poo poo that's been going on I don't think it's a terribly unsafe thing to posit that reality is kinda broken.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Aug 29, 2013

GenHavoc
Jul 19, 2006

Vive L'Empreur!
Vive La Surcouf!
To be specific, that's odds of 1 in 11,417,982,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000. Give or take a few trillion trillion trillions.

I would wager that odds of one in Eleven-and-a-half Quatuordecillion (yes, that's a real thing) is enough to warrant a conclusion that probability is a bit off. Either that or your coin is weighted.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Azzur posted:

You've summed up every major and minor point in this game. There's ALWAYS a reason.

That may be true, but most of the time the reason boils down to just "weird quantum nonsense" more than anything else.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I didn't say it wasn't weird I said you used the word probability wrong.

GenHavoc
Jul 19, 2006

Vive L'Empreur!
Vive La Surcouf!

Real hurthling! posted:

I didn't say it wasn't weird I said you used the word probability wrong.

No, you said that flips of a coin do not affect the probability of a later coin flip, which is true under the rules of normal probability, but potentially untrue in Columbia, at least if the evidence is anything to indicate. Something is plainly messing with probability (among other things) here. It may be something completely different, but it's certainly possible.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare

Are we allowed to spoil songs ...stuff...

Absolutely not and you've said more than I would have cared to at this early stage in the LP, as well. The music is something special in this game. The OP already mentions a thing about not posting about the music in the game. "No spoilers" certainly means as much!

I need to make the no spoilers section bigger somehow :v:.

Sundowner fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Aug 29, 2013

NoodleBox
Jul 11, 2009

Feinne posted:

Yes, but the number of heads in a row they had achieved was extremely, extremely statistically improbable. Just because it has to happen somewhere, sometime, eventually doesn't mean you shouldn't start to suspect something is wrong with your expectation of the probability after such a result. I'm pretty sure they were engaging in this exact same argument, too.

EDIT: Going back and looking at the video their current streak is 153 heads in a row. While that certainly CAN happen, given all the other weird poo poo that's been going on I don't think it's a terribly unsafe thing to posit that reality is kinda broken.

Maybe the coins in Columbia have more mass on the "tails" side as opposed to the "heads" side, maybe them being that high in the sky is screwing with things

Checkmate video game symbolism :smug:

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Sundowner posted:

Absolutely not and you've said more than I would have cared to at this early stage in the LP, as well. The music is something special in this game. The OP already mentions a thing about not posting about the music in the game. "No spoilers" certainly means as much!

Let's Play: I Need To Make the No Spoilers Section Bigger Somehow

For what it's worth, I have no idea how to reply to anything in this thread without feeling like I'm giving away something important later on. drat this game :(

TheWetFloorSign
Jan 6, 2013
I think my favourite part of the starting walkaround on Columbia is that you're not just watching interesting things happen. There are no-name NPCs, like the man on the bench or the food stand attendant, who will say hello or start a quick conversation with Booker. It really ends up feeling like your a part of the city.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

cokerpilot posted:

I only just finished the first video but something odd happened at the end. When Dawit was looking through the binoculars there was a juggler and a lady standing on the platform below him. The thing is he looked over there before and after the binoculars and there was nobody there. WTF

I noticed that too. I think it was those 2 again.

Barf Wight
Sep 4, 2011
OK, you can stop yelling :hf:

GenHavoc posted:

To be specific, that's odds of 1 in 11,417,982,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000. Give or take a few trillion trillion trillions.

I would wager that odds of one in Eleven-and-a-half Quatuordecillion (yes, that's a real thing) is enough to warrant a conclusion that probability is a bit off. Either that or your coin is weighted.

Wildly unsupported theory #1
This number is also how many theories you will have put forth by the end of this lp

Just yankin' your chain, pal, I like your crazy theories.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Sundowner posted:

Why not just put a big honking image file in the OP? Something like this (except more elaborate, of course):

Mind you, anyone who does spoil stuff doesn't read the OP anyway. Maybe PM a mod, ask them to add 'NO SPOILERS!' into the title?

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

CommissarMega posted:

Why not just put a big honking image file in the OP? Something like this (except more elaborate, of course):

Mind you, anyone who does spoil stuff doesn't read the OP anyway. Maybe PM a mod, ask them to add 'NO SPOILERS!' into the title?

I agree. Slap a giant ugly banner at the start of the OP, and ask Slowbeef to put "[No Spoilers]" at the end of the thread title.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

CommissarMega posted:

It needs to be bigger, and Blingee'd. If playing games with goons has taught me anything it's that they'll pay attention to something if there's enough spinning pot leaves and snoop dogs

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
If this doesn't help then I don't know what to do beyond buying the upgrade to report, which I may end up doing regardless.

GenHavoc
Jul 19, 2006

Vive L'Empreur!
Vive La Surcouf!
Hopefully others will report any spoiling even if you can't Sundowner. And I hope that banner works, but I'll be honest, I've never once seen a thread on these forums where the spoiler policy was universally respected.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Sundowner posted:

If this doesn't help then I don't know what to do beyond buying the upgrade to report, which I may end up doing regardless.

This is good, but I was thinking making it the very first thing in the OP, above the title even. Just to hammer the point in, I should think.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
So, Letuce and her "brother"... Doesn't anyone think it weird that they literally seem to have one mind? This is my speculation: They're both a single Schrodinger's Cat. In the "Unadulterated Cat" sense of the phrase. It'd be heavy handed, but it makes sense, in the way people popularly understand Quantum... thingumajigs.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
My theory is that they have been using a coin with heads on both sides.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
I was just thinking about the DLC's coming up (for the love of father Comstock do not go look them up if you haven't already and wish to approach this game/LP blindly, you might ruin things for yourself) and I think if paced right I can start the first story DLC just as the 3 month rule runs out but I doubt I'd be able to pace that for another 3 months before the second half of said DLC is released. I may do a 1999 (hardest difficulty) run somewhere in there to pad if necessary. Not sure really how interesting that would be, however, as not much changes except you need to hide a bit more often.

We'll figure something out. Perhaps we can run a Clash in the Clouds (100% gameplay/wave mode DLC) tournament or something. :v:

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Sundowner posted:

I was just thinking about the DLC's coming up (for the love of father Comstock do not go look them up if you haven't already and wish to approach this game/LP blindly, you might ruin things for yourself) and I think if paced right I can start the first story DLC just as the 3 month rule runs out but I doubt I'd be able to pace that for another 3 months before the second half of said DLC is released. I may do a 1999 (hardest difficulty) run somewhere in there to pad if necessary. Not sure really how interesting that would be, however, as not much changes except you need to hide a bit more often.

We'll figure something out. Perhaps we can run a Clash in the Clouds (100% gameplay/wave mode DLC) tournament or something. :v:

Just saying, but my hope is that this lp ends before those finally come out, since I planned on hitting them in my own lp of this game. :v:

No offense of course.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
I'd really like to cover them here too but I certainly don't want to dissuade people from your LP. Granted there's no release date for the new DLC yet but I figured it would have to be soon so as to beat the new consoles and all the games coming out in Q4 and given that college has just kicked off for me and I have real life stuff to prioritize, it might take me a couple of months at one update a week to finish the main game.

No offence taken at all but in that same breath I hope you won't mind too much if I do cover them when appropriate. It would bug me if I felt like I had an incomplete LP. I know the new DLC is considered standalone but, at least to me, it's still going to be very much important, without elaborating too much on why for obvious reasons.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Oh man, Bioshock Infinite. I think this is probably the best adventure game of the decade. Too bad all the shooter stuff got mixed up in there.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Arglebargle III posted:

Oh man, Bioshock Infinite. I think this is probably the best adventure game of the decade. Too bad all the shooter stuff got mixed up in there.

The shooter stuff is really good though!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Ehhhh... the shooter stuff is acceptable. The plot and art direction are exceptional.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The art and music are great and amazing, but I feel like the plot really falls apart as you go along.

The most frustrating thing about discussing this game is that literally everything is kind of a spoiler.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

This game does look beautiful. One of my favorite details so far is that the people actually seem to be the right height for the period, something that is almost never done. Booker is very tall (his Pinkerton card said he's 6'1") and it feels that way.

My theory is that there's some sort of time-travel going on, and it's the sort that spawns alternate timelines. Booker is deliberately sent back to this particular day, when Columbia is set to invade America, to prevent that from happening. Or maybe prevent them from winning twenty years later in his timeline. All stories like this tend to get confusing.

Wild speculation is that going back in time might end up causing people to inhabit different bodies. Thus the twins could actually be the same person (shades of Heinlein in the bar), and even Booker himself could well be the girl he's trying to rescue. Or perhaps better said, she's this timeline's version of him.

What isn't yet clear is how much is understood by the people in Columbia. If there are alternate timelines, are they aware of them? I though there have been references to both favorable and unfavorable outcomes of Wounded Knee, and perhaps those are just differing viewpoints or they actually mean things changed in the past. Is this how they can recognize Booker (by branding him in the future?)

I also wonder what Comstock was doing in the first painting with Lincoln. He seemed almost curious, and even when I saw it before the later BoC images I was struck that someone who set up Columbia would want to position himself in there. Unless in this timeline he actually had a cabinet position, but then he'd be extremely long-lived.

edit: Forget to mention that with some of the themes and the PI background for Booker, I'm sort of hoping for a Dirk Gently reference at some point.

Kangra fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Aug 29, 2013

Goggle Fox
Jul 9, 2011

At this point, I'm not really sure if time travel is involved or not, at least in the traditional sense. It feels like there might be some method of peeking forward into the future, seeing the most likely outcomes of present-day actions, and using that to produce prophecy. More than that, there might be something that can influence past and future events, and produce alternate histories that override, or overlap, reality. This is probably what Comstock is using to predict the future, and how people knew that the number 77 would be drawn in the raffle, by Booker.

The statue changing from Robert to Rosalind, plus the rotoscope showing only Rosalind as the "greatest mind" of Columbia, leads me to believe they're not twins but the same person in two bodies. Those energy bursts appearing all over may be the result of something Lutece did, but isn't willing to speak about yet. And that's what leads us to Booker.

I think Booker was chosen to go to Columbia and retrieve this girl in the photo because he's an anomaly. Whatever happens, he has to survive. Whether Columbia is stuck in a place where probabilities are out of sorts, or Booker himself does it, is hard to say, but Lutece seems very interested in this either way. When he gets the shield upgrade flask, it "should have killed him," and probably would, but because it's Booker it can't have killed him. When you "die" and respawn at a checkpoint, going through the door to Booker's PI office, it's a symbol for him returning to a safer point in his history (or returning from a precognitive fugue) to do things for real this time, because he cannot die. The upgrade vials, meanwhile, are in quantum superstate, constantly switching from one to the other, because any of them could help him but he can only choose to have one.

I could be way off the mark, but this is what I get out of what we've seen so far.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

JamieTheD posted:

So, Letuce and her "brother"... Doesn't anyone think it weird that they literally seem to have one mind? This is my speculation: They're both a single Schrodinger's Cat. In the "Unadulterated Cat" sense of the phrase. It'd be heavy handed, but it makes sense, in the way people popularly understand Quantum... thingumajigs.

It's a twin/BFF thing. My brother and I have spent so much time together that we'll finish each other's sentences and pick up trains of thought before the other person's finished saying them. Other people say it's like we're speaking code to each other; when we really get into a problem or idea we use just enough words and gestures for the other guy to run with it, since we know how each other thinks and don't have to worry much about being misunderstood.

It also gets me in trouble with other people when they can't follow what I'm saying, because I do it out of habit. I'll drop off in mid-sentence because the guy I usually talk to can fill in the blanks, leaving whoever I'm currently talking to hanging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Would it be spoiling myself somehow to look up VAs for this game? Because I'm rewatching the videos, and Comstock's actor sounds a little too young (to me anyway) for some old guy with a flowing beard. I was expecting something like James Coburn, but the dude barely sounds like he's out of his 40s. I mean, this game is supposed to be some kind of AAA title, why skimp on VA?

• Locked thread