Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Stare-Out posted:

I do use it, but I can't fullscreen anything with it and anything HD goes out of sync with the audio. At least VLC gets updates once in a while despite the annoying bug I mentioned.

For the de-syncing problem, make sure the "Number Of Threads" setting in the Prefs is at least 2, since all Macs these days are at least dual core. There should be literally no reason you can't use full screen with it, unless something about your setup is horribly non-standard.

Or you have an Extension conflict LOL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

jototo posted:

I'm looking through the documentation in Carbon Copy Cloner about making a bootable backup of my HDD to an external drive. It says in there not to buy Western Digital external drives for this as they're not always bootable on Mac. I'm thinking of getting this one.

I use that exact drive as a Time Machine backup drive and it works fine. Not sure why CCC docs think WD drives are a bad idea; some drives arrive formatted the wrong way and the mfr bundles software to make the one touch backup button on the drive work or some such thing, but in my experience you can safely ignore bundled software, nuke and pave with Disk Utility, install an OS, and bam bootable external. Just make sure to set the partition table format to GPT.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Chris Knight posted:

I sincerely doubt the vast majority of posters here remember holding down the space bar on start up to bring up the Extension Manager to deal with that nightmare. :smugdog:

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

mayodreams posted:

I sincerely doubt the vast majority of posters here remember holding down the space bar on start up to bring up the Extension Manager to deal with that nightmare. :smugdog:
:smugdog::hf::smugdog:

That just gave me a really stupid hack idea: visual verbose mode. Instead of all the lines of text, make a bunch of icons representing them and have them pop up left to right along the bottom of the screen as they load.

Then the Oscar the Grouch extension/song at the end.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Chris Knight posted:

For the de-syncing problem, make sure the "Number Of Threads" setting in the Prefs is at least 2, since all Macs these days are at least dual core. There should be literally no reason you can't use full screen with it, unless something about your setup is horribly non-standard.

PC users still had to deal with high memory and IRQs until like, 1999.
It was poo poo all around.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

mayodreams posted:

Not the vast majority, but I still remember, and I replaced that poo poo with Casady & Greene's Conflict Catcher first chance I got; it made EM look sick and allowed you to specifically sort the startup order to your liking, instead of just shoving spaces in front of certain extensions or renaming them.

At the beginning of the OS X era, some French author wrote something called Diablotin that allowed you to pick and choose what system extensions / prefpanes got loaded and which didn't but someone must've yelled hard at him or he realized playing fast and loose with system extensions was a losing proposition.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Aug 28, 2013

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
This isn't Mac specific, per-se, but all my computers are Macs so...

I can't reach a whole bunch of websites. Trello (boards, not the site root) and Digg are among the ones I can't reach. The JavaScript console has a lot of references to missing cloudfront resources: "Failed to load resource: https://d2k1ftgv7pobq7.cloudfront.net/css/1fb2b72012e57a4940c74335ff72bc27/core.css"

Anyone else seeing similar behaviour?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Lexicon posted:

I can't reach a whole bunch of websites. Trello (boards, not the site root) and Digg are among the ones I can't reach. The JavaScript console has a lot of references to missing cloudfront resources: "Failed to load resource: https://d2k1ftgv7pobq7.cloudfront.net/css/1fb2b72012e57a4940c74335ff72bc27/core.css"

Are you using your ISP's lovely DNS servers? Try OpenDNS (208.67.222.222/208.67.220.220) or Google DNS (8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4)

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Binary Badger posted:

At the beginning of the OS X era, some French author wrote something called Diablotin that allowed you to pick and choose what system extensions / prefpanes got loaded and which didn't but someone must've yelled hard at him or he realized playing fast and loose with system extensions was a losing proposition.

Huh, I hadn't heard of that one before. Looked it up and apparently it lets you control most plugin-ish stuff that goes under /Library.

Neat, but kinda pointless. Classic Mac system extensions were a nightmare because they worked by patching into the base OS at a low level using mostly undocumented techniques. Update the OS, patches break. Install too many, some of them will conflict. OS X pref panes, kernel extensions, contextual menu items, etc. all interface to OS X APIs formally defined and maintained by Apple, so there's less potential for explosions and excitement.

See also Unsanity, the company devoted to bringing the "wonderful" experience of classic Mac hack & patch style extensions forward into the OS X era! They even invented a cutesy name for their products, "haxies", and tried to evangelize their framework for injecting haxies into the system to other developers. This did not work out very well for them because Apple gave no fucks about radically changing OS X internals at whim. They spent a lot of their time playing catch-up to get their stuff working on the latest OS X release. Also, their software was so notorious for destabilizing the system that many application developers (and Apple itself) refused to take bug reports from users who had Unsanity products installed ("go uninstall that poo poo and then tell me if the bug still happens"). They lasted a lot longer than Diablotin, but finally seem to have disappeared off the web after years of hanging around promising that yes they'd finally be catching up to modern OS X releases real soon now.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Bob Morales posted:

Are you using your ISP's lovely DNS servers? Try OpenDNS (208.67.222.222/208.67.220.220) or Google DNS (8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4)

Please don't recommend DNS servers which hijack NXDOMAIN (OpenDNS). Nobody should use OpenDNS. Ever.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

evol262 posted:

Please don't recommend DNS servers which hijack NXDOMAIN (OpenDNS). Nobody should use OpenDNS. Ever.

I never knew this was a thing, I always thought OpenDNS was the place to go. Would you recommend Google DNS or something else?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

dexter6 posted:

I never knew this was a thing, I always thought OpenDNS was the place to go. Would you recommend Google DNS or something else?

Google DNS is fine. Or use the traditional 4.2.2.1-4 (they'll probably eventually gently caress with these, but they've been good for 10 years)

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

evol262 posted:

Why?

Sue
Apr 1, 2008

Lexicon posted:

I had a similar problem a few years ago.
Flushing my Mac's DNS cache fixed it. Maybe you want to give it a try?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

dexter6 posted:

The hijacking is where if you enter a URL with a domain that doesn't exist, you get directed to an OpenDNS-sponsored search page. Not a huge deal for home users, but it technically isn't doing the 'right' thing.

OpenDNS can work better for some people than Google DNS when GeoIP stuff gets involved and you're trying to download a huge file from a CDN (such as a big update or new version of OS X from the App store), which is the reason I listed both of them.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

evol262 posted:

Google DNS is fine. Or use the traditional 4.2.2.1-4 (they'll probably eventually gently caress with these, but they've been good for 10 years)
To be fair those servers are can have really bad respond times, or even timeout. I've had issues with servers having DNS errors when they were used

http://briandagan.com/warning-dont-use-4222-for-public-dns-use-8888

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

The hijacking is where if you enter a URL with a domain that doesn't exist, you get directed to an OpenDNS-sponsored search page. Not a huge deal for home users, but it technically isn't doing the 'right' thing.

OpenDNS can work better for some people than Google DNS when GeoIP stuff gets involved and you're trying to download a huge file from a CDN (such as a big update or new version of OS X from the App store), which is the reason I listed both of them.

I dunno I kinda like that feature since it's way better then the usual sites you get when you mistype.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

SRQ posted:

I dunno I kinda like that feature since it's way better then the usual sites you get when you mistype.

Many home users are served better by that - but you can get weird problems that surface because you're not connecting to the site you intended. Which is why evol suggests against using them, they aren't technically correct servers.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
Sorry for causing what is arguably a derail... but yeah, changing DNS sorted my issue. It's been many years since I've run into a problem like this with DNS... I'm embarrassed to admit it never ever occurred to me as a solution.

Thanks all :)

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

Bob Morales posted:

To be fair those servers are can have really bad respond times, or even timeout. I've had issues with servers having DNS errors when they were used

http://briandagan.com/warning-dont-use-4222-for-public-dns-use-8888

I'd take 4.2.2.x over Google's DNS. The Level3 servers have been around forever for the purpose of being DNS servers, versus Google's relatively new DNS offering sure to eventually suffer the same fate of all the other Google projects that never earn money. One dude's complaint that 4.2.2.x is "slow" isn't a great reason to dump them.

Both of them will ruin GSLB and probably cause worse performance overall, so it's better to use your ISPs DNS servers (or your own recursive running locally) first and then 4.2.2.x after that.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

BobHoward posted:

They even invented a cutesy name for their products, "haxies", and tried to evangelize their framework for injecting haxies into the system to other developers.
Remember when the official Logitech drivers used them? :haw:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Ninja Rope posted:

I'd take 4.2.2.x over Google's DNS. The Level3 servers have been around forever for the purpose of being DNS servers, versus Google's relatively new DNS offering sure to eventually suffer the same fate of all the other Google projects that never earn money. One dude's complaint that 4.2.2.x is "slow" isn't a great reason to dump them.
I experienced DNS failures (worse than just being slow) using them on various networks over the last few years. I was on the 4.2.2.x train forever so it was a surprise.

quote:

Both of them will ruin GSLB and probably cause worse performance overall, so it's better to use your ISPs DNS servers (or your own recursive running locally) first and then 4.2.2.x after that.

ISP servers are almost always way out of date or do their own hijacking.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

Bob Morales posted:

ISP servers are almost always way out of date or do their own hijacking.

What do you mean "out of date"? And at least with comcast you could opt-out before they canned the program entirely.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Ninja Rope posted:

What do you mean "out of date"? And at least with comcast you could opt-out before they canned the program entirely.

Just the other day I had a DNS server provided by Qwest which had week-old DNS records in it. A client had changed their MX record and we were having mail bounce because it was going to their old host.

Fiki
Dec 5, 2006
You mean Gumbercules? I love that guy!
Regarding upgrading to Mavericks when it is released, does Apple typically give the upgrade for free if you purchased a new system relatively recently (end of July)? The last Mac I owned was one of the G5 Mac Pros years ago and I got free upgrades through my job at the time.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Fiki posted:

Regarding upgrading to Mavericks when it is released, does Apple typically give the upgrade for free if you purchased a new system relatively recently (end of July)?
Nope that probably won't fall under the free upgrade window.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

BobHoward posted:

See also Unsanity, the company devoted to bringing the "wonderful" experience of classic Mac hack & patch style extensions forward into the OS X era! They even invented a cutesy name for their products, "haxies", and tried to evangelize their framework for injecting haxies into the system to other developers. This did not work out very well for them because Apple gave no fucks about radically changing OS X internals at whim. They spent a lot of their time playing catch-up to get their stuff working on the latest OS X release. Also, their software was so notorious for destabilizing the system that many application developers (and Apple itself) refused to take bug reports from users who had Unsanity products installed ("go uninstall that poo poo and then tell me if the bug still happens"). They lasted a lot longer than Diablotin, but finally seem to have disappeared off the web after years of hanging around promising that yes they'd finally be catching up to modern OS X releases real soon now.
I used their LabelsX haxie until Apple finally fixed their own poo poo. Took them long enough.

Ethereal
Mar 8, 2003

Ninja Rope posted:

I'd take 4.2.2.x over Google's DNS. The Level3 servers have been around forever for the purpose of being DNS servers, versus Google's relatively new DNS offering sure to eventually suffer the same fate of all the other Google projects that never earn money.

This is a ridiculous mentality to take regarding Google's DNS offering. Google needs DNS resolution for their own uses and will keep them up and running for as long as they are a company.

Now about their other products...

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Is there any way to make Mumble stop sending notifications every time someone joins or leaves channel?

Hopewell
Nov 29, 2004

I killed the president of Paraguay with a fork.
Are the boxes that say "Notification" still checked?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Hopewell posted:

Are the boxes that say "Notification" still checked?

Ohh, I didn't notice the "Advanced" checkbox there.

Hopewell
Nov 29, 2004

I killed the president of Paraguay with a fork.

wdarkk posted:

Ohh, I didn't notice the "Advanced" checkbox there.

What, you didn't notice the moronic UI toggle for "all the useful options" placed in a completely random spot? Whattsamattayou? :v:

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

Ethereal posted:

This is a ridiculous mentality to take regarding Google's DNS offering. Google needs DNS resolution for their own uses and will keep them up and running for as long as they are a company.

Now about their other products...

For their own uses? It's not like they're running their servers through that cluster too. Whenever you use Google DNS you "break" GSLB for every other site, reducing performance to every site that's not Google's, and they get to log every domain you visit (if that kind of thing concerns you).

This really isn't the thread for this so go hog wild using whatever DNS server you want. But for best performance, use your ISP's DNS servers or set up your own to query first, and use whatever else as a secondary.

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004
Not sure if I should ask here or in the mouse thread, but since we are talking software...how is the logitech software for OSX? I know a few years ago the consensus was to just use STEETMOUSE or similar, but supposedly their drivers / software has gotten better?

Or is it still a buggy mess? Mouse is a G500S btw.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Bonobos posted:

Not sure if I should ask here or in the mouse thread, but since we are talking software...how is the logitech software for OSX? I know a few years ago the consensus was to just use STEETMOUSE or similar, but supposedly their drivers / software has gotten better?

Or is it still a buggy mess? Mouse is a G500S btw.

The main question is, what do you (think you) need it for?

It's much better than it used to be, but generalist input managers still fare a bit better. Even so, most of the time you just don't need any of it unless the software you're using is clunky to begin with and/or doesn't handle function binding properly innately.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
Has anyone installed mavericks beta on an older macbook? How does it run for you? I have a 2008 macbook core2duo which is still on snow leopard. It's mostly used as a desktop because the battery only holds 30 minutes.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

lostleaf posted:

Has anyone installed mavericks beta on an older macbook? How does it run for you? I have a 2008 macbook core2duo which is still on snow leopard. It's mostly used as a desktop because the battery only holds 30 minutes.

You need a 2009 with the GeForce 9400M to even run Mountain Lion. If you have a 2008 it won't run Mavericks.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

You need a 2009 with the GeForce 9400M to even run Mountain Lion. If you have a 2008 it won't run Mavericks.

I have the late 2008 aluminum model with 9400. It can run mountain lion I just didn't see any benefit to the upgrade to mountain lion. Mavericks seems like there are core system improvements so if anyone has tried it on an older model I would like to hear if there's tangible improvements.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

How does in place OSX updating work?
I want to install 10.9 beta on my shiny new retina 15'', but I don't want to have to reinstall everything I just installed. I assume it keeps the apps and I won't have weird driver problems?
I've always been shy of in place updating since it was a clusterfuck with 90s windows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

SRQ posted:

How does in place OSX updating work?
I want to install 10.9 beta on my shiny new retina 15'', but I don't want to have to reinstall everything I just installed. I assume it keeps the apps and I won't have weird driver problems?
I've always been shy of in place updating since it was a clusterfuck with 90s windows.

Usually, it retains pretty much everything as far as programs and settings go. Depending on how it has been implemented, you may occasionally have to re-enter your registration info for some third-party software (older Adobe suites have been notoriously horrible in this regard, so if you have any of those installed, you're probably better off wiping it and re-installing after the upgrade anyway). Your Library and any settings inside it will be retained in full with some of Apple's own setting files being replaced to match new OS components. If it discovers anything in the process that it deems incompatible, it will also be saved in a special “incompatible software” directory, so you can go through it manually and figure out if any of it can be replaced or updated.

…but that's for full releases. I have no idea how much a beta might screw you over.

Either way, I'm sure that, for absolutely best performance and stability, clean installs are the best way to go for OSX as well, but I have machines that I have done in-place upgrades on, all the way from Tiger up to Mountain Lion, without any appreciable ill effects.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Aug 29, 2013