Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

CobiWann posted:

You say "powerbomb," I say "lazily dropped from a jackknife position."

So he took a Nash powerbomb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

So he took a Nash powerbomb.

That was the joke, yeah. Good that you repeated it for the new page in case someone missed it.

cunny mcalister
Mar 21, 2004
Somehow less than meets the eye.
Except that was exactly the powerbomb he needed to deliver this time, so ripping on him for this one is retarded "Nash is dumb" one-upsmanship.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I hear Nash is so stupid he thought Dunkin Donuts was a basketball team

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

triplexpac posted:

It's funny because WWE didn't even book Rey that well when they got him, either. Rey is one of those guys who seems to get over despite WCW/WWE thinking "meh he's so small, how can anyone like this guy???"

Judging by the CM Punk DVD, this is still going on, and coming from people who should know a lot better given the course of wrestling over the last twenty years.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I got a question for those more knowledgeable: I've heard the story that Hulk Hogan would take vacations whenever WCW was airing against the NBA finals or another big sporting event, when ratings would obviously slide. Then when he came back, he'd say that the return to regular ratings was solely and consequence of him coming back (and therefore he deserved a big raise).

How the hell did no one catch on? I find it impossible to believe that no one at Turner Television could look at that argument and realize that it was the equivalent of saying that a rooster causes the sun to rise in the morning. Was it just a one time thing where he got WCW to give him an outrageous contract and the story just got retold enough to make it seem like several occurrences? Was WCW's management just that disconnected with the network that owned them? Or was it just a case of Ted Turner being so enamored with Hogan that he allowed such BS? Or maybe all of the above?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

SirPhoebos posted:

Was WCW's management just that disconnected with the network that owned them? Or was it just a case of Ted Turner being so enamored with Hogan that he allowed such BS?

Both of these. TBS and WCW basically communicated entirely with "Dear Ted: Please send more money. Yours, Eric."

And Ted, as has been proved time and time again, was just a dirty great mark.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

SirPhoebos posted:

I got a question for those more knowledgeable: I've heard the story that Hulk Hogan would take vacations whenever WCW was airing against the NBA finals or another big sporting event, when ratings would obviously slide. Then when he came back, he'd say that the return to regular ratings was solely and consequence of him coming back (and therefore he deserved a big raise).

How the hell did no one catch on? I find it impossible to believe that no one at Turner Television could look at that argument and realize that it was the equivalent of saying that a rooster causes the sun to rise in the morning. Was it just a one time thing where he got WCW to give him an outrageous contract and the story just got retold enough to make it seem like several occurrences? Was WCW's management just that disconnected with the network that owned them? Or was it just a case of Ted Turner being so enamored with Hogan that he allowed such BS? Or maybe all of the above?

I remember in early '98 he wasn't under contract but he booked himself(he had creative control in everything he did)in all the main angles so WCW bookers couldn't tell him to hit the bricks. It worked as they re-signed him for his usual 5 mil a year deal and managed to get a 1.5 million dollar signing bonus as well. His creative control got so ridiculous for when Souled Out '98 came the Hart vs Flair main event had to be moved to a semi main event because Hogan was going to do a run-in for another match before and the 'almighty Hulkster' couldn't be involved with anything other than main events.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

LordPants posted:

I hear Nash is so stupid he thought Dunkin Donuts was a basketball team

I laughed very hard at this because for some reason I'm imagining Patrick Ewing saying it.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

I was able to pick up the Essential Starrcade on the cheap and I'm now remembering when WCW was good. However, who the gently caress thought up the Battlebowl? That was a gigantic clusterfuck and I'm glad to see it go.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

SirPhoebos posted:

People talk about "the wrestling bubble" as this thing Dave Meltzer is caught up in, but in reality, the wrestling bubble really affects wrestling in general. Every January people in WWE would see the ratings swing up and talk about how things were getting hot... ignoring that football was over and this happened every year. WCW had their heads up their asses even more and were run by a guy who lived by the credo that "He who has Hogan wins." So when Hogan manipulated little things like when he took a vacation, that flies under the radar. This is a company that gave Sting 15 months off from 96 to 97 and then gave him another 5 month vacation in late 98. Guys taking time off was normal, they weren't going to pay attention beyond that.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

MassRafTer posted:

So when Hogan manipulated little things like when he took a vacation, that flies under the radar. This is a company that gave Sting 15 months off from 96 to 97 and then gave him another 5 month vacation in late 98. Guys taking time off was normal, they weren't going to pay attention beyond that.

Right, but I think he was more referring to Hogan claiming the ratings spikes were him and that execs believed it. I don't know that all the execs believed it, but it's certainly just another card that Hogan would think to have in his pocket and is an example of the way he played politics in general. To the OPs question, I don't think it was the crux of Hogan's contract negotiations but he's certainly the kind of guy who would keep PPV numbers, ratings numbers and whatever else he could to show that he's the top dog and should remain as such.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

nasboat posted:

Right, but I think he was more referring to Hogan claiming the ratings spikes were him and that execs believed it. I don't know that all the execs believed it, but it's certainly just another card that Hogan would think to have in his pocket and is an example of the way he played politics in general. To the OPs question, I don't think it was the crux of Hogan's contract negotiations but he's certainly the kind of guy who would keep PPV numbers, ratings numbers and whatever else he could to show that he's the top dog and should remain as such.

What I'm saying is wrestling companies don't pay attention. They never noticed that Hogan would leave at a traditionally weak period, they just saw the correlation between Hogan leaving and ratings going down, Hogan returning and ratings going up. WWE, a much more on the ball company didn't want to accept their January increases weren't their own doing, would a company that was based entirely around Hogan not do the same?

There's a good example of this mindset is the bit in this week's retro Observer about Sullivan. One week ratings were bad, Sullivan got the blame. The day after GAB 96 with the hot nWo angle, ratings were huge and Sullivan was a hero. Did anything change about his booking in that week? No. But his fortunes rose and fell with the ratings.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
One of the things I remember most fondly about Nitro is the stuff that TNT put on afterwards:

- The Mortal Kombat TV series, with guest star MENG
- The Island of Dr. Moreau, starring a really pasty/fat Marlon Brando
- The Postman, where Kevin Costner becomes a super mailman in the apocalypse

I'd try to think of more, but honestly, I feel like I must've seen Dr. Moreau and The Postman a million times. I think Waterworld got in there, too.

Edit: How could I forget READY TO RUMBLE?!

Red fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Aug 29, 2013

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Red posted:

One of the things I remember most fondly about Nitro is the stuff that TNT put on afterwards:

I'd try to think of more, but honestly, I feel like I must've seen Dr. Moreau and The Postman a million times. I think Waterworld got in there, too.

Meng totally powerbombed a dude on that show.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I loved the Mortal Kombat TV series

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Red posted:

Also that Robin Hood show.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

I like to think David Arquette got to marry Courtney Cox solely because of his star turn in "Ready to Rumble".

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

nasboat posted:

Executives get to where they are by understanding what battles to pick. A lot of them would be smart enough to 'get' what Hogan was doing (if they even cared to think about it), but they certainly wouldn't risk their positions to point it out.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Supreme Allah posted:

Executives get to where they are by understanding what battles to pick. A lot of them would be smart enough to 'get' what Hogan was doing (if they even cared to think about it), but they certainly wouldn't risk their positions to point it out.

Yeah I guess it boils down to, if you're an exec at WCW, do you want to tell your boss that his favourite wrestler in his pet project is lying to him?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Red posted:

I think they also aired Witchblade, but I remember mostly the Mortal Kombat show.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Watch the Postman enough times late enough at night and it becomes high art. Probably explains my collection of bad movies more than watching MST3K.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
Let me tell you, when that guy gets shot for trying to deliver mail, I lost it.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

I think I've seen every ending to every episode of "Walker, Texas Ranger" despite never trying to ever watch an episode. I'd always watch the first hour of nitro, then switch over to USA, get the quick shot of the crowd "WE ARE LIVE IN A SOLD OUT ARENA, TUNE IN NEXT TO MONDAYYYY NIGHTTTT RAWWWW", and then watch Chuck Norris & friends dispatch a bad guy and/or give a monologue while a 2:00 timer counted down to 8 for a live RAW.

Also, how the gently caress did the Westminster Dog Show leverage itself to kick the hottest show on cable from it's time slot several times a year? WWE was pulling 6.0 ratings on cable and would still have to give its timeslot up for a dog show. Today this would be like AMC pre-empting the Walking Dead several times per year for tractor pulling.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

Also, how the gently caress did the Westminster Dog Show leverage itself to kick the hottest show on cable from it's time slot several times a year? WWE was pulling 6.0 ratings on cable and would still have to give its timeslot up for a dog show. Today this would be like AMC pre-empting the Walking Dead several times per year for tractor pulling.

It was part of the contract that WWF signed when they first got USA to air RAW. At that point they had no idea how big Raw would end up being.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Pretty sure the Dog Show had been preempting wrestling on TV since the days of Prime Time Wrestling.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

bobkatt013 posted:

I think they also aired Witchblade, but I remember mostly the Mortal Kombat show.

I also really remember that La Femme Nikita aired after Raw, I think. The opening theme to that show was amazing.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Silk Stockings!

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

nasboat posted:

Silk Stalkings!

MD2020
May 30, 2003

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

fart blood posted:

Also that Robin Hood show.

IIRC, for the premier of this show, Nitro "ran out of time" right during the main event of Giant v. Hogan (or somebody big in the NWO), but TNT magnamioiusly decided to cut back to the match "live" during commercial breaks of the Robin Hood show.

I think they did this for the first couple sets of commercial breaks, so the Giant must have really been giving it to Hogan for like 20 minutes!

thatguyclint
Apr 11, 2005
See, I didn't know that...ducks eat for free at Subway.

Testekill posted:

I was able to pick up the Essential Starrcade on the cheap and I'm now remembering when WCW was good. However, who the gently caress thought up the Battlebowl? That was a gigantic clusterfuck and I'm glad to see it go.

Battlebowl was, somewhat unsurprisingly, a Dusty Rhodes idea. The first year they made the drawing completely random, which resulted in horrible matches. The 1992 version (the one with the most matches on that DVD set) was clearly fixed, but not so much that it was completely obvious; the result included one really good tag match (Muta/Windham vs. Pillman/Scorpio), and several others that weren't terrible. I've never seen the 1993 PPV (which split off for its own show), but the 1996 one was entirely fixed, and horribly at that. You saw Public Enemy kept together, and every match either had a tag team split apart or enemies against each other.

It's a decent idea with continually horrible execution.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

thatguyclint posted:

Battlebowl was, somewhat unsurprisingly, a Dusty Rhodes idea. The first year they made the drawing completely random, which resulted in horrible matches. The 1992 version (the one with the most matches on that DVD set) was clearly fixed, but not so much that it was completely obvious; the result included one really good tag match (Muta/Windham vs. Pillman/Scorpio), and several others that weren't terrible. I've never seen the 1993 PPV (which split off for its own show), but the 1996 one was entirely fixed, and horribly at that. You saw Public Enemy kept together, and every match either had a tag team split apart or enemies against each other.

It's a decent idea with continually horrible execution.

How odd, then, that every War Games match had the bad guys winning the coin toss. :raise:

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

MD2020 posted:

IIRC, for the premier of this show, Nitro "ran out of time" right during the main event of Giant v. Hogan (or somebody big in the NWO), but TNT magnamioiusly decided to cut back to the match "live" during commercial breaks of the Robin Hood show.

I think they did this for the first couple sets of commercial breaks, so the Giant must have really been giving it to Hogan for like 20 minutes!

Nope. It was all the way to the final commercial break.

And the match still ended with a nWo run-in after Hogan got beat up for "50" minutes.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 17 days!

CobiWann posted:

Nope. It was all the way to the final commercial break.

And the match still ended with a nWo run-in after Hogan got beat up for "50" minutes.

I seem to recall that at the time, they even tried to legitimately tout it as one of the longest Hogan matches ever, or some poo poo like that. :v:

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

I think I've seen every ending to every episode of "Walker, Texas Ranger" despite never trying to ever watch an episode. I'd always watch the first hour of nitro, then switch over to USA, get the quick shot of the crowd "WE ARE LIVE IN A SOLD OUT ARENA, TUNE IN NEXT TO MONDAYYYY NIGHTTTT RAWWWW", and then watch Chuck Norris & friends dispatch a bad guy and/or give a monologue while a 2:00 timer counted down to 8 for a live RAW.

The people who watch the dog show had a lot of disposable income and thus were very attractive to advertisers. The people who watch a lot of pro wrestling dont tend to be doing so great financially. For some readon

bartok
May 10, 2006

Red posted:

How odd, then, that every War Games match had the bad guys winning the coin toss. :raise:

Didn't the TNA War Games equivalent have the faces win the advantage a couple of times?

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

david carmichael posted:

The people who watch the dog show had a lot of disposable income and thus were very attractive to advertisers. The people who watch a lot of pro wrestling dont tend to be doing so great financially. For some readon

While I understand that, this was the late 90's where wrestling was killing it in the coveted 18-40 something demographic. It's just odd to me that the hottest show on cable tv would get bumped for a dog show. Sure, the viewers of the dog show may have a higher income but how many actually watch it? I totally get the contract thing but it still strikes me as bizarre.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

While I understand that, this was the late 90's where wrestling was killing it in the coveted 18-40 something demographic. It's just odd to me that the hottest show on cable tv would get bumped for a dog show. Sure, the viewers of the dog show may have a higher income bracket but how many actually watch it? I totally get the contract thing but it still strikes me as bizarre.

When they returned one of the things the new contracts said was it could not be preempted for the Dog Show.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

While I understand that, this was the late 90's where wrestling was killing it in the coveted 18-40 something demographic. It's just odd to me that the hottest show on cable tv would get bumped for a dog show. Sure, the viewers of the dog show may have a higher income but how many actually watch it? I totally get the contract thing but it still strikes me as bizarre.

I think the numbers I read were that the Dog Show beat Raw in the ratings up until around '95 or '96. After the Monday Night Wars really took off, Raw beat it consistently until they moved to TNN.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Golf has an entire channel about it, and its really successful and like 8 guys are watching it at any point during a weekday.