Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Kaethela posted:

I don't remember many details, but wasn't the first XIV launch a hilarious failure?

So is the second!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

The Locator posted:

Hrm, good point. I guess due to the mechanics of this game that makes sense to just re-do your existing character. I'll switch back just because of the better gear I guess, even if I did pick a dumb nickname because I had no idea that it was your nickname that is actually your character name in game.

Then again, all my MMO characters have dumb unimaginative games, so it fits right in.

To restart simply for a respec doesn't make sense mechanically. But if you are not that far into the game, really if you haven't gotten to Egypt yet, then go with the character you'd rather end up playing with. The amount of XP you get from Egypt/Transylvania is well beyond (first quest in kingsmouth is 50K xp, later quests are 500K-1Mil xp) what you get in the first few zones. While it doesn't make sense to keep restarting, go with the one you'd rather have, QL3 is hardly anywhere into the game. It sure beats buying a bunch of name changes like plat/roxor/evilbillmurray.

EDIT: VV well, not everybody has grandmaster, especially those that bought the game because it was $15

Reverend Dr fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Aug 26, 2013

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Reverend Dr posted:

To restart simply for a respec doesn't make sense mechanically. But if you are not that far into the game, really if you haven't gotten to Egypt yet, then go with the character you'd rather end up playing with. The amount of XP you get from Egypt/Transylvania is well beyond (first quest in kingsmouth is 50K xp, later quests are 500K-1Mil xp) what you get in the first few zones. While it doesn't make sense to keep restarting, go with the one you'd rather have, QL3 is hardly anywhere into the game. It sure beats buying a bunch of name changes like plat/roxor/evilbillmurray.

Hey now! My first name change was with bullshit points they gave me back in August or September last year during some event weekend. I held onto them until they were about to expire and since I didn't see any clothes worth buying I got a name change. The second one? Yeah that was just vanity but also paid for with Funcom points during a spot with no costumes I wanted.

Rainbow_Horse
Apr 23, 2002

I just started playing again if you want someone to talk to while playing. IGN Sont. I don't really know anything, but I play fairly regularly.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

So yesterday on the first character, I got a call right in middle of a huge defense fight at the junkyard (call from my Illuminati faction boss) which I declined since I was on the last wave or so of the defense, and accepting would have cancelled the mission. Is there any way to get that mission back if it happens again? I don't see any way to call my boss back.

I got that same mission today on my new Dragon character and ran it, and holy poo poo did I die a lot before I figured out how to tiptoe around all those nasty dudes. The actual mission 'reward' when I finished was useless, but the mob drops on the way out had some great drops, upgrading several slots to Q3 greens, and a pair of Q3 blues (including a claw weapon, booyah).

I also got a spiffy uniform.

Even if I never play the game again after tonight, I've gotten more than $15 bucks worth of entertainment out of it simply based on the hours I've played in the last couple of days.

E: I try to remember to rejoin 'awful' in game after zoning - IGN is TheLocator

Rainbow_Horse
Apr 23, 2002

If you go to the main quest NPC in the Labyrinth the mission should be on her desk.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

The Locator posted:

E: I try to remember to rejoin 'awful' in game after zoning - IGN is TheLocator

Create a folder called "scripts" inside your game's install folder and add two text files called "auto_login" and "auto_teleport", no file extensions (so not "auto_login.txt"). Both files should contain the following:
code:
delay 5000
/chat join awful
/chat list #awful
That'll put you in the channel and tell you who else is there whenever you start the game or change zones.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Thank you!

I was going to research how to do that tonight, based on the link in the OP. Seems like just including that code and instructions in the OP instead of a link on scripting in the game would be pretty helpful for newbies.

Bursk
Nov 12, 2007

Bank of Bursk
I'm assuming you just did Into Darkness? If so, did you keep your headlamp? If not, open a petition in-game and tell a GM you accidentally deleted it! The headlamp from that mission works anywhere in the game, and it's so, so useful. I've only been playing since the start of July, and I play pretty casually (just the Orochi quests left to do in KM), and didn't know prior to running Into Darkness that I should be keeping my headlamp. It was just lucky that I was browsing the forums soon afterwards and found people talking about it. I then simply contacted a GM and they returned it to me :)

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Bursk posted:

I'm assuming you just did Into Darkness? If so, did you keep your headlamp? If not, open a petition in-game and tell a GM you accidentally deleted it! The headlamp from that mission works anywhere in the game, and it's so, so useful. I've only been playing since the start of July, and I play pretty casually (just the Orochi quests left to do in KM), and didn't know prior to running Into Darkness that I should be keeping my headlamp. It was just lucky that I was browsing the forums soon afterwards and found people talking about it. I then simply contacted a GM and they returned it to me :)

That's the mission. I did not delete it, so I should still have it. Thanks for the heads up.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

The Locator posted:

That's the mission. I did not delete it, so I should still have it. Thanks for the heads up.

There's a lot of stuff from missions that you can't delete, despite it having no discernable use afterwards, my bank has a bunch of old quest items in it. Stands to reason the one thing you can get repeated use out of wouldn't be flagged as indestructible. Because funcompetence.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Pilchenstein posted:

There's a lot of stuff from missions that you can't delete, despite it having no discernable use afterwards, my bank has a bunch of old quest items in it. Stands to reason the one thing you can get repeated use out of wouldn't be flagged as indestructible. Because funcompetence.

Petition to remove the old ones.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

The Locator posted:

Thank you!

I was going to research how to do that tonight, based on the link in the OP. Seems like just including that code and instructions in the OP instead of a link on scripting in the game would be pretty helpful for newbies.

Good idea, I just updated the OP with a quick and dirty how-to.

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Maybe if I actually played Mafia, I'd get a better gift from my Mafia Secret Santa. :(
I got attacked by a friendly NPC in Egypt today. Funcom :argh:

Okita
Aug 31, 2004
King of toilets.
I gotta say this game's writing and general questing experience is on-par with a good quality single player RPG. I wish I had checked it out at launch, it's kind of sad reading the posts heralding the death of this game.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Thanks for the dungeon run tonight goons. I've got tons of stuff I can't use yet now :)

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Okita posted:

I gotta say this game's writing and general questing experience is on-par with a good quality single player RPG. I wish I had checked it out at launch, it's kind of sad reading the posts heralding the death of this game.

It's only dead until Issue 8 when there's a new, and probably super broken and buggy, thing to grind.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Len posted:

It's only dead until Issue 8 when there's a new, and probably super broken and buggy, thing to grind.

And then Tokyo, an awesome multiple-Issue zone (riddled with holes).

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Cheston posted:

And then Tokyo, an awesome multiple-Issue zone (riddled with holes).

My bet is still a duo Halloween/Issue 8 launch. I'm feeling a near complete rehash of last years event, with maybe a new mission or two, and a broken as gently caress janky rear end contest. Issue 8 will work for 50% of the player base as the first mission shits the bed on tier 4. Also the harbinger of scorched desert will be back.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Len posted:

Yeah, the problem with this game is that, at least right now, there's a surprisingly low limit on the amount of stuff to do. Off the top of my head...

-If you're interested in story, there's a lot of missions to do. But most of them don't have much replay value.
-Interested in the basics of builds, then there's endgame dungeons to do. But those get samey, there's only so much you can do of it in a day, and there's only so much you can do with the results.
-PvP, but that sucks, and it's not a stable thing since it keeps getting revamped (because it sucks).
-If you're a clothes whore, there's deck outfits and achievement clothes. That'll last you a while, especially for some of the higher-grade stuff like the rare monster jacket, but there's still a hard limit there.
-If you're really into builds, then you can signet farm and/or AP grind to get more abilities. But that's for a minority, and frankly unless you want to be Tron As gently caress there's literally no point to having every ability. Some just suck.

Issue 8 will help a lot for even the base level of player, since its content probably isn't going to be NM-level bullshittery, but first it needs to come out. Personally, I like the game, and even I'm taking a break because I've just flat-out run out of things to do. The only thing left on my plate that I'm interested in is killing rare monsters for the jacket, and that's demoralising since the only ones left to kill are in the City of the Sun God.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Zephonith posted:

I got attacked by a friendly NPC in Egypt today. Funcom :argh:
Something Villager in al-Merayah?

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Maybe if I actually played Mafia, I'd get a better gift from my Mafia Secret Santa. :(
Nah, Marya Fighter or something, from the little barricade near the trucks between the two outposts. I think it might have been something buggy with the flamethrower, because I was setting a whole bunch of cultists on fire in that area earlier. She was showing up as Friendly so I couldn't offensive target her, but she kept hitting me with her shotgun so I had to run away till she stopped chasing me.

Also, totally feeling the lack of content. I only started playing in April and I've only got Master Planners, Lair Bosses, 10K kill achievements and Taco Hat left to do.

Zephonith fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Aug 28, 2013

alfheimwanderer
Jun 1, 2011

Oh brave new world that hath such people in it...

Zephonith posted:

Nah, Marya Fighter or something, from the little barricade near the trucks between the two outposts. I think it might have been something buggy with the flamethrower, because I was setting a whole bunch of cultists on fire in that area earlier. She was showing up as Friendly so I couldn't offensive target her, but she kept hitting me with her shotgun so I had to run away till she stopped chasing me.

There are times when using AOE skills will aggros the friendlies in Egypt. I've seen this happen when using Stunning Swirl to intervene in a melee between the Maryas and Atenists near the East camp.

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

Simply beautiful

EDIT: Found 2 bugs with Laceration. The first is actually corrects another bug I found. We're getting 6-8% less crit damage than listed on the sheet, but under laceration we get the listed value. Effectively this gives Laceration an extra 6-8% crit damage over its listed value. The second bug is that it actually increases non-crit penetration damage by 10% (get ~60% extra damage on pen instead of 50% extra damage).

Reverend Dr fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Aug 28, 2013

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
So they can make testlive restricted to players with a membership, but they can't make your DLC unlocks on testlive based on whether you have a membership. Funcom.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

So I'm confused about my combat stats. I am getting a lot of evades and glances, so according to the tool-tips on my characters offensive statistics, I want to increase my 'hit' rating.

I equip a sword with +55 hit rating, and my character shows 55 hit rating. I then equip claws in off-hand with +39 hit rating, and my character now shows 39 hit rating. Re-equip the sword, and back to 55 hit rating.

Does only the highest rating work? Did I waste a glyph? What will happen when I can equip the talisman's I've been saving that also have hit rating, does only 1 apply, or is this a dumb display bug?

If it's a display bug, and all of them add together, what should my target be for hit rating?

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice
Glyphs on weapons only apply to attacks with that weapon. Glyphs on talismans apply to all attacks (including Auxiliary weapon attacks).

Edit: Your target for endgame should be 650-700 hit. In the mean-time, upgrading your weapon skill level (whichever track is highest for each of your equipped weapons) should also reduce glances.

UrbanLabyrinth fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Aug 29, 2013

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

So that's completely obvious (or maybe not). Thanks!

I've got main weapon skill up to 6, and off hand at 4. Need to get my talisman skills up to equip the nice stuff from last night's dungeon runs, then I'll boost the off-hand weapon skill more.

thwoompa
Nov 9, 2004

My fanfiction makes baby Jesus cry

The Locator posted:

So that's completely obvious (or maybe not). Thanks!

I've got main weapon skill up to 6, and off hand at 4. Need to get my talisman skills up to equip the nice stuff from last night's dungeon runs, then I'll boost the off-hand weapon skill more.

You can also buy ql6 weps from a vendor just outside DW, the third dungeon in blue mountain using the solomon tokens you have been getting from quests.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

thwoompa posted:

You can also buy ql6 weps from a vendor just outside DW, the third dungeon in blue mountain using the solomon tokens you have been getting from quests.

That's where my blade is from, but holy poo poo is it the most terrible looking thing ever.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
You can buy items to make item A look like item B while keeping its stats. No matter what hammer I get I'm always using a loving pipe unless there's a comically large Mario-esque hammer around.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

The Locator posted:

That's where my blade is from, but holy poo poo is it the most terrible looking thing ever.

What do you have against ancient Mayan weapons?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Len posted:

What do you have against ancient Mayan weapons?

They look stupid, other than that, nothing.

I saw the thing to make it look like another weapon, but need more coins to do that.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

The Locator posted:

They look stupid, other than that, nothing.

I saw the thing to make it look like another weapon, but need more coins to do that.

If you're still at the point where the gear from that vendor is useful, it's not really worth spending sequins on casting kits. If you've got nothing else to spend them on, then by all means go nuts but be aware that they're a one-use item and depending on how fast you play/how many dungeons you run with goons, you might not have the weapon for long anyway.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

First death to lag. Everything just stopped responding, in the middle of a fight, but of course I was still taking damage. Died, went to the rez spot, but couldn't do anything there either, eventually timed out with a 'disconnected from server' message.

Luckily, death is pretty meaningless in this game.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

The Locator posted:

Luckily, death is pretty meaningless in this game.

Fuckin' bees.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

My favourite part about death in TSW is that by the time I got to Egypt I started going "it wants me to run how far? gently caress that" and just killing myself to get around quicker.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
The Secret World is bleeding over into the real world :cthulhu:

quote:

Staff at Paseo Grill, located in Oklahoma’s historic Paseo Arts District, are still making sense of a mysterious concrete block that materialized on their front lawn last Friday.

The three-foot-high monument to the fictional deity Azathoth is rough to the touch. It appears as if it has been chipped loose from a base.
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/monument-god-chaos-materializes-front-oklahoma-city-restaurant-article-1.1439431

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Brain In A Jar posted:

My favourite part about death in TSW is that by the time I got to Egypt I started going "it wants me to run how far? gently caress that" and just killing myself to get around quicker.

And if your doing Ghetto-Porting on a budget, kick off all your gear first. Good habit to get into because repair costs get stupid later on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
So, I've barely played this game - mostly beta and a few free weekends, but I apparently got co-opted into an ARG that's just started for it - at 1:30 AM last night I got a call from New York with a freaky sounding somewhat garbled message that said "One, yes! One final question, among the many I have asked. A penny for your thoughts?" To be honest it was somewhat unnerving considering the voice that said it and the time, but once I googled the number it turns out it was a number that was used in a previous Secret World ARG. Huh.

• Locked thread