Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

some texas redneck posted:

The original owner of my F-150 had installed their version of an anti theft system - a switch under the dash that cut power to the coil.

I figured out how to hit it with my foot, it was a lot of fun to turn it off, go WOT, then turn it back on. I also got very good at pulling over and grabbing half of my exhaust out of the road after epic backfires. :smith:

Back when I was in high school, I was following my parents to a car show. Back then we had a really clean 66 Deluxe bus that we took to shows. They were driving from Houston up to the Ennis show and I was in their f150 basically as a safety vehicle cause the bus was slow as poo poo. It had a stinger on it with baffle, but the only thing that held the baffle in was a single bolt, and as we were pulling off the highway and heading up an incline, my dad got on the gas and the bus blew its load. It was one of the most hilarious things I have ever seen to just see a stinger shoot out its baffle right at the truck I was driving. I had to pull over and go grab that hot rear end bastard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Saw something ugly today..

I honestly cannot tell if they're trolling or not.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
It's a Daewoo, it might be all they can afford.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

It looks like a diseased fly.

Citycop
Apr 11, 2005

Greetings, Rainbow Dash.

I will now sing for you a song that I hope will ease your performance anxiety.
Perhaps they just could not afford the official auto-zone version of this:

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Seat Safety Switch posted:

It's a Daewoo, it might be all they can afford.

Daewoo you in and take all your monies.

:haw:

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

NoWake posted:

Are those extra-long hot-dogs with uncooked spaghetti sticking out of them?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

"I'm afraid your car has Morgellons, sir."

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I... Words fail me... Sweet Mother of Plastichrome...

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

KoRMaK posted:

It looked like lengths of old fuel hose with zip ties poked through them. :pwn:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Pretty sure this guy owns that car... http://i.imgur.com/XzCa4Da.jpg

(May be considered NSFW at suit-required establishments)

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

They should have sent a poet.

A retarded poet.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
From an otherwise awesome car that a coworker/fellow goon purchased

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

falz posted:

From an otherwise awesome car that a coworker/fellow goon purchased

This would be my 1970 Fiat 124. There were also several empty Budweiser cans in the trunk.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Geirskogul posted:

When I kill my Enfield motorcycle with the killswitch instead of hitting the carb fuel, five to ten seconds after I turn it off there is a massive, deep "BWOOMP/BANG" combo inside the echo chamber exhaust pipe. :iia:

our Kohler powered Husky ride on does that too- If you roar into the shed with it at full noise, drop it to idle and shut it down, it will give you JUST enough time to take your ear muffs off before making you think you blew a loving wall off the shed with the boom from the exhaust. Ride in at idle and it all quiet, but theres no fun in that.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Ferremit posted:

our Kohler powered Husky ride on does that too- If you roar into the shed with it at full noise, drop it to idle and shut it down, it will give you JUST enough time to take your ear muffs off before making you think you blew a loving wall off the shed with the boom from the exhaust. Ride in at idle and it all quiet, but theres no fun in that.

Not that you care, but that's a fantastic way to screw up an air cooled motor. I'm not even talking about the backfire......I'm talking about not letting it cool down at idle for a few minutes before shutting it down.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Air has to be flowing over the motor for good cooling. Letting an air cooled motor just sit there and idle is a bad thing, too.

I don't call it "warming the engine up," if you do it for more than 5 minutes; I call it "smelting."

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Geirskogul posted:

Air has to be flowing over the motor for good cooling. Letting an air cooled motor just sit there and idle is a bad thing, too.

If we're talking about lawn mowers and things of that sort, they never really have much more ait flowing over them than the crank fan provides regardless. So sitting still or moving makes no measurable difference.

I'm also not talking about letting it sit for a half an hour. I'm talking 2 or 3 minutes here, rather than going form full load to off in a matter of 30 seconds.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Geirskogul posted:

I don't call it "warming the engine up," if you do it for more than 5 minutes; I call it "smelting."

What do you call traffic then, an unintentional foundry?

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

The first thing that came to mind was "Oh, it's wearing its dress uniform."

That's one highly decorated Chrysler.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

I hope he junkyard picked most of those chrysler wing badges, because if he didn't thats just like $1200 in OEM badges from the one angle.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I wonder how upset the owner would be if I asked them what kind of car it was.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Deeters posted:

I wonder how upset the owner would be if I asked them what kind of car it was.

Nah, gotta say something, like "nice Chevy man!" as you walk by.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

The first thing that came to mind was "Oh, it's wearing its dress uniform."

That's one highly decorated Chrysler.

Somehow I feel like the rear wheels should be taken off and the brakes rested on a pair of skateboards.

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012

BraveUlysses posted:

Nah, gotta say something, like "nice Chevy man!" as you walk by.

No way. Call it a Miata.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

anonumos posted:

Ah! I've done that. Probably did untold amounts of damage to the engine, though.

The point of cutting fuel at X RPM is to prevent damage. The computer cuts the engine off before its turning faster than its designed to.

NoWake posted:

I wonder if the thought process going into this was "we can't afford to spend $10 on e-bay eyelashes so I'll just have my boyfriend make me some with odds and ends he has laying around the garage."

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Does a steaming shitheap daewoo deserve anything better?

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
I'd love to LeMons a 16V DOHC Lanos hatchback, but they are pretty rare in 5 speed form. That might be a decent car compared to, let's say, a 1987 Hyundai Excel or something.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
If LeMons existed in the UK, I can pretty much guarantee someone would do a Daewoo Nexia with a Vauxhall C20 turbo in it.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Terrible Robot posted:

Kinda surprised at how well the AE86 seems to have held up, all things considered. Although it does look like somebody went through the windshield. :ohdear:

Saw this at my girlfriend's apartment complex. The rear spoiler had to be only a dozen or so degrees off vertical, I can only imagine it acts more like an air-brake and gas mileage destroyer. The rain makes the paint look much better than it was, it had pretty bad orange peal. I went to high school with this idiot. At least the rear window sticker is mostly truthful, I can totally believe he "built" this in his backyard.

I found this car's stupid cousin:

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

DJ Commie posted:

I'd love to LeMons a 16V DOHC Lanos hatchback, but they are pretty rare in 5 speed form. That might be a decent car compared to, let's say, a 1987 Hyundai Excel or something.

I think the Hyundai Stellar and Pony would be entertaining LeMons beaters, you can still see them on the road from time to time in Ontario (The same cannot be said of early Excels). From what I understand they're basically a knockoff Ford Cortina with the Mitsubishi driveline.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

InitialDave posted:

If LeMons existed in the UK, I can pretty much guarantee someone would do a Daewoo Nexia with a Vauxhall C20 turbo in it.

Due to its hilarious lack of value I'd love to lemons my awd v70, I also saw a Saab 900 turbo for £440 earlier this week, looked fun.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

InitialDave posted:

I wanted to setup a LeMons over here. Never happened though.

HairyNipple!
Dec 31, 2004

hello i am fast cheap awesome

KoRMaK posted:

Yeah, what idiots. Don't they know you're supposed to cook it afterwards?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

BraveUlysses posted:

I found this car's stupid cousin:

Caged for when the rubber bands come off the wheel and it does a flip across four lanes of traffic.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

DJ Commie posted:

A mate had one of those for his first car when they first came out. Suprisingly not a bad car at all, much nicer to drive than an Excel.

They used to have a racing league here in AU with I think the MIVEC engine out of the FTO (or was it some 4 banger MIVEC engine) in them, was quite interesting to watch.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Caged for when the rubber bands come off the wheel and it does a flip across four lanes of traffic.

I love seeing cages in slammed cars that will never be within 100 miles of a track :allears:

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Crustashio posted:

I love seeing cages in slammed cars that will never be within 100 miles of a track :allears:

I should put a cage in my car, I live within 75 miles of two :science:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

SaNChEzZ posted:

I should put a cage in my car, I live within 75 miles of two :science:

Sounds pretty dangerous. I'd definitely suggest a cage then.