Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
Unless they're running some sort of bizarre stripped down version on workstations, if you're trying to run some sort of production version of Linux - OpenOffice, KDE/GDE/Unity and what have you - won't be too happy on 2GB either (Developers get an 8GB model, so perhaps they've already had the joy of trying to run Eclipse on a low memory machine)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Galler posted:

We had one group that needed 32bit Win7 for some lovely application that was taking forever to get updated. They got the same laptops as everyone else with 8GB of RAM. It cost like $30 extra or something insignificant like that and their laptops will get reimaged with 64bit Win7 before too long (some already have) now that the application has been updated. If we hadn't done it that way we would need to get approval and then order the extra RAM individually each time we switched one to 64bit.

Earlier this year my XP machine was replaced with a modern Dell (not sure which one E6430 perhaps?) with 4GB RAM, 64bit Windows and a DVD drive with no burning facilities at all.

It takes about 15 seconds to switch tabs in Visual Studio 2012, and about 10 seconds to alt+tab to another application, such as Outlook. The other applications I need to use regularly are Gimp and a certain proprietary DTP package that supposedly only works on XP but I fixed that myself. (Copied over the running install and reg keys from my XP machine, made a few symlinks for when it attempts to write to it's own directory in program files.

Lum fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Aug 29, 2013

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

A new guy came in. He thinks racist jokes about coworkers are funny. gently caress you new guy.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Lum posted:

Earlier this year my XP machine was replaced with a modern Dell (not sure which one E6430 perhaps?) with 4GB RAM, 64bit Windows and a DVD drive with no burning facilities at all.

It takes about 15 seconds to switch tabs in Visual Studio 2012, and about 10 seconds to alt+tab to another application, such as Outlook.

Good god. I love VS2012, but I couldn't imagine using it on anything but 8+gigs of ram and a SSD now. :psyduck:

TBH I am not sure if I like Eclipse or VS2012 more though. Both have their strengths and weaknesses.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

FISHMANPET posted:

Someone here ends every sentence like this.. Is that a period or an elipsis.. Because the sentences could mean something completely different depending on the punctuation..
Like, "Maybe it's a problem with the router.." OK, is it a problem with the router, or is there some subtext I'm missing here?

Motherfucking ellipsis users! Just use a drat period. I used to have a boss who would use ellipsis to end most of his sentences in email. Everything was so ambiguous...

:what: I need to get you to sign off on this thing we need
:clint: Yes, go ahead and make that purchase...
:what: Is that like a dare or a threat or something?

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

ratbert90 posted:

Good god. I love VS2012, but I couldn't imagine using it on anything but 8+gigs of ram and a SSD now. :psyduck:

Probably goes without saying that this machine does not have an SSD.

VS2008 on my old 2GB XP machine was much more pleasant to use, however everything else about that machine was horrible!

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

jim truds posted:

A new guy came in. He thinks racist jokes about coworkers are funny. gently caress you new guy.

My desktop guy came in wearing house shoes and red velvet pants. He also doesn't look or smell like he showered. We have a relaxed dress code, but drat dude.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

ookiimarukochan posted:

Unless they're running some sort of bizarre stripped down version on workstations, if you're trying to run some sort of production version of Linux - OpenOffice, KDE/GDE/Unity and what have you - won't be too happy on 2GB either (Developers get an 8GB model, so perhaps they've already had the joy of trying to run Eclipse on a low memory machine)

I routinely run F19 plus pycharm or ninja-ide (depending on the day and project) with MATE or Xmonad in 2GB, with about 25 tabs open in FF and at least 1 VM running. More memory is always better, but something is terribly wrong with your environment if you can't run Eclipse+KDE on 2GB. LibreOffice is more of a pig, but devs don't often need it open anyway.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Sickening posted:

My desktop guy came in wearing house shoes and red velvet pants. He also doesn't look or smell like he showered. We have a relaxed dress code, but drat dude.

I thought the walk of shame was supposed to end at home.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
You guys should read this book: http://www.amazon.com/Eats-Shoots-Leaves-Tolerance-Punctuation/dp/1592402038

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
gently caress PRINTERS.TXT:

I just spent 30 minutes re-installing a printer because I kept getting errors about a missing dll somewhere. I guess I don't understand why HP's driver installer can't just go "Oh you are missing a dll? Hey we happen to have it right here for you."

One of the instructions in HP's solution was to manually go through c:\Windows\inf and check oemxx.inf files to see if they pertained to the printer and delete those and reinstall the driver.

Turns out the dll is in a cab that is in the folder the installer extracts to, it just doesn't seem to know that.

RE: Email etiquette, the accounting software we use is case sensitive for pretty much everything, so finance uses caps almost all of the time. For some reason they never switch it off when composing emails. I always get giggle imagining they are yelling about really innocuous things. One person exacerbates this by ending sentences with !!!!!.

Also the chief of police said "Lol" in an email the other day. I realize it is 2013 but I'm pretty sure I still wouldn't use any net abbreviations in an email. Especially work email.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Nativity In Black posted:

I realize it is 2013 but I'm pretty sure I still wouldn't use any net abbreviations in an email. Especially work email.

You wouldn't, I wouldn't, and yet I think everyone has a story of just that guy. I knew a project manager who used internet abbreviations in conversation (and likely still does.)

"TTYL" has double the syllables of either "later" or "goodbye."

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Motronic posted:

That's not at all my point.

My point is that as someone who works in IT it is on average SLOWER to access the required information using a laptop. The books are that easy and well laid out.

Now imagine someone who isn't a "computer guy" (read: most firefighters) doing this.

Unless you have experience as a firefighter I'm not really sure how valid your opinion is, as you just don't know how it works. And tell me what a proper systems check is for a ToughBook, how long it takes, and how I can get someone who doesn't know anything about computers to competently perform one along with the rest of the daily truck check.

The best use for the MDTs is as an early alert system. They generally beep about 10-20 seconds before the pagers go off, so if we happen to be standing near the trucks, we can get a little head start. We do keep our CAD database up to date, so you'll get location info like "handicapped child" or "FDC at AB corner behind bush" but yeah, binders are way easier.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

18 Character Limit posted:

You wouldn't, I wouldn't, and yet I think everyone has a story of just that guy. I knew a project manager who used internet abbreviations in conversation (and likely still does.)

"TTYL" has double the syllables of either "later" or "goodbye."
Don't you guys realize? The higher up you get, the more weight you get to throw around and the less professional you have to be while gaining more influence.

My rule is to play like a 10 year old and I'll end up as CEO some day.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

RE: Cops and Firefighters with laptops.

I think the fire chief and asst. fire chief have iPads for the purpose of handling command on the outside, but generally the other guys just rely on communication.

Cops have various reasons for having them including GPS and that fancy poo poo they do where they scan license plates to see if everything is square. So far ours are just going to be for writing/printing tickets. The idea is to make it easier, so they do them more and generate more revenue for the city. A part of me hates being complicit in that (cause gently caress the police right?) but another part sees where more revenue for the city = big budget for things like paying me and buying new equipment.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Lum posted:

Probably goes without saying that this machine does not have an SSD.

VS2008 on my old 2GB XP machine was much more pleasant to use, however everything else about that machine was horrible!

I went from a 1tb platter drive to a 240gig ssd at work and will never, EVER not use a SSD for coding again. Compiling is just so magically fast. :allears:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Erwin posted:

The best use for the MDTs is as an early alert system. They generally beep about 10-20 seconds before the pagers go off, so if we happen to be standing near the trucks, we can get a little head start. We do keep our CAD database up to date, so you'll get location info like "handicapped child" or "FDC at AB corner behind bush" but yeah, binders are way easier.

Absolutely. Unfortunately our CAD isn't kept nearly as up to date as our own records, and getting the county to update things is usually pretty brutal.

The other thing that I just love about the MDTs is as on officer on a big scene. I can review all my on-scene and responding units so I can put them on the board (to make up for missing radio traffic when the poo poo is hitting the fan and I'm on 3 different radios at once - gotta love your closest mutual aid being in a different state with a totally different radio system).

There are too many people trying to apply technology to problems just because they can. It doesn't always make things better, and often makes them much worse. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a well organized book, and I should probably be surprised (but I'm not) that someone thinks using a GPS is better/faster than having a second person looking at a map book who can make intelligent decisions about routes to take rather than blindly following whatever the hell route the Garmin spit out. I suppose for those who are growing up without any map reading skills that may be the very sad truth.

This misapplication of technology is something I also see in the business world, and many IT people are to blame. If more IT people had a business background and looked at problems from the perspective of what makes the business work best (with a full understanding of the what/who/how of that business) there would be a lot fewer lovely user interfaces, terrible software processes, failed ERP deployments, and wasted time and money.

Nativity In Black posted:

Cops have various reasons for having them including GPS and that fancy poo poo they do where they scan license plates to see if everything is square. So far ours are just going to be for writing/printing tickets. The idea is to make it easier, so they do them more and generate more revenue for the city. A part of me hates being complicit in that (cause gently caress the police right?) but another part sees where more revenue for the city = big budget for things like paying me and buying new equipment.

Our cops also use their laptops to check for warrants/solen property/etc. I'd argue that some of what they can do is pretty critical to their safety and a big improvement from the old days when they didn't have access to this information (dispatch isn't going to have to time to look it up all for them in every situation).

Motronic fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Aug 29, 2013

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

Motronic posted:

gotta love your closest mutual aid being in a different state with a totally different radio system).

Not to go off on a somewhat unrelated tangent, but when our system gets set up for P25, I will be so happy. A lot of the adjacent departments are on the same system we are but the bigger city we are a suburb of is not. It will be nice to have the PD/FD be able to flip a channel to hit their main.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Motronic posted:

Our cops also use their laptops to check for warrants/solen property/etc. I'd argue that some of what they can do is pretty critical to their safety and a big improvement from the old days when they didn't have access to this information (dispatch isn't going to have to time to look it up all for them in every situation).

Having to go to a secondary channel and then do Code 10s on fifteen kids a cop found throwing rocks at their school is something I wouldn't miss. That and searching serial numbers on a mountain of worthless crap found in a pickup truck bed. A cop once had me running serial numbers from clock radios and toaster ovens.

MDTs implemented properly made a huge difference on the dispatcher workload. Let the cops run their own run of the mill requests, and let the dispatchers handle the more challenging searches, like people with multiple AKAs, incomplete info etc.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Dear HP, if you send me a replacement Hard Drive (or replacement anything, for that matter) and you want the old one back within 5 days like it says on the included sheet: Don't include a UPS ground label. Either send me a 2nd Day Air label, or ask for the old one within 10 days.

Yes, I realize that UPS Ground is *generally* 3 business days, but it's never a guarantee, and there's also the idea of having to take time to actually replace parts. Not everything is a SAS drive that's part of a RAID array and only takes 10 seconds to replace.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
OMG
Im on holiday. Just went by work to pickup some personal affects, going back to work monday. Now get this: My personal cupboard has been broken into. Literally ripped open. And I know exactly who it was. That shithead feels entitled to have access to MY dvds for work at all times. Apparently this includes breaking into my only personal space at work. Currently trying to determine how far to raise this issue. Considering calling in HR and maybe even threaten with cops. I am glowing white on the inside with rage. How can one think breaking into a coworkers personal belongings coild ever be ok... :psypop:

If you guys want I can keep you updated.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Motronic posted:

I just don't get it. Literally everything you could need in an engine, ladder or rescue is better served by what we've had for decades, with the addition of a GPS for out of district calls where your driver might not be familiar. And even then, the officer can just read a paper map and navigate like we've been doing for decades. Hell, out dispatch still gives us a map page and grid location for every call.

I'm mostly with you, but back in the early 90s when I was in da navy we took a distress call from a German MTB coming into our port with an unspecified fire under deck. We had plans for all the Danish warships in the truck, but nothing of German design. Any kind of data (other than a distressed Captain with a horrible accent on the radio) would have made the whole situation slightly less hair raising.

Luckily the Germans keep their munitions and fuel in similar locations to the Danish MTBs, and the fire was small and easily contained.

Plus, does a FLIR count as high-tech? Superman-like see-through-walls-vision is the poo poo. Don't even need enter and sweep, just close the hatch and move on. :clint:

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

SEKCobra posted:

OMG
Im on holiday. Just went by work to pickup some personal affects, going back to work monday. Now get this: My personal cupboard has been broken into. Literally ripped open. And I know exactly who it was. That shithead feels entitled to have access to MY dvds for work at all times. Apparently this includes breaking into my only personal space at work. Currently trying to determine how far to raise this issue. Considering calling in HR and maybe even threaten with cops. I am glowing white on the inside with rage. How can one think breaking into a coworkers personal belongings coild ever be ok... :psypop:

I would be careful how much information you post on the internet, especially if you decide to take it to the cops.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

SEKCobra posted:

OMG

Raise hell. That is a serious violation of trust. He should be fired as any employee handbook that I have seen prohibits theft.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Crowley posted:

Plus, does a FLIR count as high-tech? Superman-like see-through-walls-vision is the poo poo. Don't even need enter and sweep, just close the hatch and move on. :clint:

We've had thermal imaging cameras for decades in the fire service. They are awesome, and a perfect example of well-implemented technology solving a real problem.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

RadicalR posted:

I would be careful how much information you post on the internet, especially if you decide to take it to the cops.

This isn't America, I can't hurt my case by sharing details about it. At least I think that's what you're referring to?

KweezNArt
Jul 30, 2007
Hades, my cat, has decided that my work performance to date has been inadequate, and therefore I am to be "coached" into better tech support habits by alternating head boops and lap clawings. :3:

Gehenomm
May 1, 2008

Ask me about hitting on mathematicians.

SEKCobra posted:

OMG

Donīt threaten to take this to the cops, take it to the cops, and let them and whoever is in charge there sort it out.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Gehenomm posted:

Don´t threaten to take this to the cops, take it to the cops, and let them and whoever is in charge there sort it out.

I dont really want to make my boss mad at me.

Glans Dillzig
Nov 23, 2011

:justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost:

knickerbocker expert
CF, is that you?

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

SEKCobra posted:

Your boss should be looking out for you if he or she is worth a drat.

Gehenomm
May 1, 2008

Ask me about hitting on mathematicians.

SEKCobra posted:

You are the one that is supposed to be mad at this whole thing! If he doesnīt like it he can shove it and complain to the cops.

Donīt be a doormat.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

SEKCobra posted:

So it was your boss?

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

anthonypants posted:

So it was your boss?

No but Im pretty sure he would mind, he's off the "lets settle things internally" type. Easily feels betrayed etc.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
If it's company property that wasn't removed from the building the cops aren't going to care, it's still in possession of the company.

Personal stuff yes you probably could get them involved but if it's work-related personal stuff and he was getting into it to do work with you really shouldn't involve the cops. Get it returned, get his/your boss to make sure he knows not to do this.

edit: I wouldn't get HR involved either, if the bosses think he needs a note in his file or something for it let them manage that, part of their job.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Aug 29, 2013

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
My inclination would be to take it to HR rather than involve the cops. Am I missing something about this that makes it worth invoking criminal law? Is there even a case, if it was on company property?

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
Just got an email from my manager

To help manage office 2013 keys, he wants us to create an @live email account for every computer it is installed on or tell the client to buy an eopen license.

blackswordca fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Aug 29, 2013

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Practicing Hypnolaw since 1990
Grimey Drawer
We just put ServiceNow into production. Like, this morning. I'm already missing RT's simplicity.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
th guy hr,

PFA the ndfl doc. lts rvw lr. tx

code:
The Guy Here, 

Please find attached the needful (required) document. Let's review later.
(He writes like each keypress costs ten dollars.)

edit: whoops! thread moves fast!

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Aug 29, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

jim truds posted:

Did you go to management about this? I think it would strongly depend on your office environment but where I work you would be fired during your first week for doing that poo poo.

Spazz fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Aug 29, 2013

• Locked thread