Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Atomicated posted:

According to Reggie the name is wholly unrelated to their sales issues

http://kotaku.com/nintendo-says-wii-us-name-not-responsible-for-wi-us-p-1221242513

I think the its struggles are a combination of factors. The name, the price, the release a year before the start of a new console cycle, and the lack of first-party showcase titles. I'm not convinced it would be doing so much better if it was called the Wii 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Has Nintendo ever stated a reason for the name of the console? I figured it was because in Japanese there is a kanji that can mean "fun", is read "Yu" or ゆ and they just shortened it to "U". Then, they just didn't give a poo poo that it made no sense in English (which is usually par the course for Japan).

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators
Just a hypothetical question...I know it is extraordinarily unlikely Nintendo would go third party - but say they did, do you guys think they'd favor Sony over Microsoft or vice-versa? This is purely speculative and opinion but I was thinking about it to myself. Are Nintendo and Sony over the SNES disc drive days? Would Nintendo rather support a Japanese company? Would MS/Sony pay truckloads of money to them to be exclusive? Or would they release equally for both? It's just an interesting idea to think about.

Beanboy
Apr 6, 2004

Git Mah Belt Son posted:

Just a hypothetical question...I know it is extraordinarily unlikely Nintendo would go third party - but say they did, do you guys think they'd favor Sony over Microsoft or vice-versa? This is purely speculative and opinion but I was thinking about it to myself. Are Nintendo and Sony over the SNES disc drive days? Would Nintendo rather support a Japanese company? Would MS/Sony pay truckloads of money to them to be exclusive? Or would they release equally for both? It's just an interesting idea to think about.

Sony, if anyone. Nintendo is an incredibly Japan-centric company.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

Mercury_Storm posted:

Has Nintendo ever stated a reason for the name of the console? I figured it was because in Japanese there is a kanji that can mean "fun", is read "Yu" or ゆ and they just shortened it to "U". Then, they just didn't give a poo poo that it made no sense in English (which is usually par the course for Japan).

I recall during the original unveiling of the thing, Reggie's marketing spiel for the name was something like "because it's for You, the hardcore gamer".

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

miscellaneous14 posted:

I recall during the original unveiling of the thing, Reggie's marketing spiel for the name was something like "because it's for You, the hardcore gamer".

Hahaha this is hilarious

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

miscellaneous14 posted:

And the funny thing is the only game on the system that would appeal to hardcore gamers is Monster Hunter 3 U. However most people who are just used to playing Nintendo centric games get destroyed in Monster Hunter.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

miscellaneous14 posted:

Haha, he probably came up with that on the spot.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

midwat posted:

I wonder how many people are actually confused about the WiiU being a separate system. I know we make a big deal about it here (and it is pretty horrible branding), but I wish I knew if it were seriously depressing sales.

If so, then the fact that a 2DS can play 3DS games is going to confuse the gently caress out of people.

During 'video game week' on Late Night a year ago, Jimmy Fallon referred to the Wii U as an add-on for the Wii. Reggie later corrected him, but that's just one nationally televised example.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

miscellaneous14 posted:

I just spat out some water and laughed reading this. Thank you. I'm sure this was caught on film at E3 anyone able to find it?

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Beanboy posted:

Sony, if anyone. Nintendo is an incredibly Japan-centric company.

Yeah, if they wanted to actually sell games in Japan, they sort of have to favor the PS4. My as well just keep the Wii U if they are interested in never making a profit.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

One and the Same posted:

I expect Windwaker HD will probably sell well to those who already have the console, but anybody who hasn't been motivated to get a WiiU thusfar is unlikely to be motivated to buy one once it's released. Also- holy hell, poor Wonderful 101. :stare: Nintendo just can't seem to win with any of their new IP's.

The WiiU is pretty much toast I think. I don't think even Smash Bros will convince me to get one given how poor the system's outlook is. I'll still get the 3DS version but goddamn, what a disappointment. :(

edit: Wow, and the price drop was finally announced as I posted. $50 isn't enough, the value proposition is still dismal.

These couple games totally motivate me to pick up a WiiU in 5-6 years. Hopefully they just never roll out an account system and I can buy up a bunch of someone's eShop content with it.

Al Borland posted:

I just spat out some water and laughed reading this. Thank you. I'm sure this was caught on film at E3 anyone able to find it?
I coulda sworn it was Iwata but yeah it was Reggie, here.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Aug 29, 2013

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Atomicated posted:

According to Reggie the name is wholly unrelated to their sales issues

http://kotaku.com/nintendo-says-wii-us-name-not-responsible-for-wi-us-p-1221242513
I don't see how they can generate buzz and excitement when they refuse to talk about any games that aren't immediately launching within six months. It's a philosophy that I think has burnt them, because it gives the consumer the impression that nothing's coming in the future.

I mean, nobody's buying a PS4 so they can play Black Flag at a slightly higher resolution, they're buying it for the titles that they'll eventually be able to play. But if all that's on the horizon for Wii U is Smash and Mario Kart, that's not really.. enough.

I don't care if the games won't arrive until 2019, Nintendo should show some sort of teaser for a new Metroid title or a new Zelda title because that would sell systems. It doesn't matter if the games don't actually exist yet. You say it's coming and you get people excited about it. Hint at a Starfox revival. Show a cutscene of Little Mac punching a dude. Anything.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Quest For Glory II posted:

I mean, nobody's buying a PS4 so they can play Black Flag at a slightly higher resolution, they're buying it for the titles that they'll eventually be able to play. But if all that's on the horizon for Wii U is Smash and Mario Kart, that's not really.. enough.

People are also buying PS4s for third-party games that haven't even been dreamt of yet. There's at least some assurance that these games are at least going to be made. That cool things are coming down the pipe.

We pretty much know exactly what's trickling down the Nintendo pipe. Same thing that came down the pipe last gen. And the gen before that.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

That's not quite true. A lot of Nintendo fans are under the impression that Metroid is dead, F-Zero is dead, and Starfox is dead, based on lack of activity as well as things Nintendo has said (Nintendo has pretty much all but said F-Zero is dead dead dead dead). All that's guaranteed at this point are Mario, Kirby, and Zelda titles.

I know quite a few people that are Nintendo fans that haven't bought a Wii U because they don't even expect to see the Nintendo staples that they used to see on past systems, so the value proposition of "it has Nintendo games" is not a good enough hook for them.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Nintendo said themselves that they can't think of what to do with F Zero so they're just sitting on it. Instead of maybe letting another company take the licence and make a game and just have Nintendo act as a publisher.

Other than Wipeout there are not a whole lot of fast paced racing games out there. There arn't a lot of wii U games either, so sitting on an established franchise makes little to no sense. You could easily have turned out a new FZero that felt fresh if you combined Excite trucks with hydro Thunder.

It also would have probably been better if they released Wonderful 101 at 20 bucks. Sony did this for their experiment title like katamari and Tokyo Jungle. Hell ubisoft learned this with Rayman origins after it took off when it's price was lowered.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Aug 29, 2013

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Heran Bago posted:

I coulda sworn it was Iwata but yeah it was Reggie, here.

The hesitant applause is what makes that video.

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Dear Nintendo,

Do you want to capture the adult American gamer demo? I bet you do. There's tasty dollar-doos there. Here's how:

1) Close up shop on the Wii-u. nice try, we're done here

2) New console WiiHD or Wii2 or SUPER NINTENDO Wii or MEGA Wii or Son of Wii: The revenge part 2: First blood

2a) Hardware: Talk to Epic games, or Bethesda, or DICE about what hardware specs they would like to see in a home console. This will future-proof your system and allow easy cross platform porting of major AAA titles.

2b) Online: Partner with Valve or maybe Gamestop (I like Impulse, shut up) for your online interface. Steam dominates the PC gaming scene so hard you don't even know, and I'm sure Valve would chomp at the bit to get into the console market without having to actually, you know, make consoles. The big name partnership will catch the attention of all the sweaty PC nerds, and most of the "HARDCORE" gamers that spend all those big american dollars.

2c) interface. People liked the wii, a bunch. Keep it. just make as much of an improvement as you can to the responsiveness / add 2 face buttons to the wii remote. The Pro-controller is there for traditional gamers, and wii-remote fans can play skyrim while flailing like a crazy person.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
"Can't think of what to do with F-Zero" sounds like business speak for "Won't make any money"

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

That's not quite true. A lot of Nintendo fans are under the impression that Metroid is dead, F-Zero is dead, and Starfox is dead, based on lack of activity as well as things Nintendo has said (Nintendo has pretty much all but said F-Zero is dead dead dead dead). All that's guaranteed at this point are Mario, Kirby, and Zelda titles.

I know quite a few people that are Nintendo fans that haven't bought a Wii U because they don't even expect to see the Nintendo staples that they used to see on past systems, so the value proposition of "it has Nintendo games" is not a good enough hook for them.
And on top of that, the staples we're still getting are simply not that great. Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword were massive comedowns from Ocarina of Time and Wind Waker, Other M was an abomination and Metroid Prime 3 was the weakest of the three, and okay, Galaxy and Galaxy 2 were brilliant, but they haven't said word one about Galaxy 3 -- instead it's yet another retread of New Wii Super Mario Brothers U Luigi Whateverthefuck.

"No new games except from Nintendo" is a bad offer to begin with, but when the games themselves were lagging in quality last generation and Nintendo obviously, admittedly cannot develop in HD? That's catastrophic.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

illcendiary posted:

"Can't think of what to do with F-Zero" sounds like business speak for "Won't make any money"

Perhaps the same could be said of all Wii-U games !!

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Trollologist posted:

Dear Nintendo,

Do you want to capture the adult American gamer demo?
Dear Consumer,

Yes, but only if it means that we do whatever we want and focus on the casual Japanese market, and then you buy it anyway.

Love,

Nintendo

Sarcasm aside, this:

quote:

2b) Online: Partner with Valve or maybe Gamestop (I like Impulse, shut up) for your online interface. Steam dominates the PC gaming scene so hard you don't even know, and I'm sure Valve would chomp at the bit to get into the console market without having to actually, you know, make consoles. The big name partnership will catch the attention of all the sweaty PC nerds, and most of the "HARDCORE" gamers that spend all those big american dollars.
Is brilliant. First console smart enough to partner with Steam wins their generation, flat-out. The first time there's a Steam Sale and everyone sees games for your console selling at $15, they'll be lining up around the block to buy it. And then you win.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

illcendiary posted:

That didn't stop them from funding The Wonderful 101.

I'm worried that Nintendo's output is just going to be the obligatory Mario Kart, Smash Bros, and Zelda game, with a Kirby game or two a few years down the line, with yearly New Super Mario Bros. games to fill the gaps. They're going to be as by-the-numbers and safe as possible, except with the controller features either being ignored or implemented to such a degree that they ruin the whole game.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Was this discussed already? If so, ignore, but Xenoblade and Metroid Trilogy are now (slightly) cheaper at GameStop:

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/08/2...28Siliconera%29

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

miscellaneous14 posted:

I would laugh my rear end off if it was secretly a Bob's Game reference.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

That loving Sned posted:

That didn't stop them from funding The Wonderful 101.

I'm worried that Nintendo's output is just going to be the obligatory Mario Kart, Smash Bros, and Zelda game, with a Kirby game or two a few years down the line, with yearly New Super Mario Bros. games to fill the gaps. They're going to be as by-the-numbers and safe as possible, except with the controller features either being ignored or implemented to such a degree that they ruin the whole game.

Well you're going to waiting a while because theres not going to be any new NSMB games until the 4DS comes out.

As far as IPs go Nintendo makes a lot of small new IP games that nobody pays attention to, whivh is why there's always the stigma they only make Mario, Pokemon, Zelda and Kirby.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

zenintrude posted:

Was this discussed already? If so, ignore, but Xenoblade and Metroid Trilogy are now (slightly) cheaper at GameStop:

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/08/2...28Siliconera%29
Wow what savings. Thanks Gamestop. :jerkbag:

Pixeltendo posted:

Well you're going to waiting a while because theres not going to be any new NSMB games until the 4DS comes out.

As far as IPs go Nintendo makes a lot of small new IP games that nobody pays attention to, whivh is why there's always the stigma they only make Mario, Pokemon, Zelda and Kirby.
Mario 3D World is the same philosophy as NSMB, where you take the previous game and create new levels for it in a level editor and then call it a new game.

And all the small new IPs Nintendo makes are on 3DS, not Wii U, so it's a fair stigma.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Aug 29, 2013

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Pixeltendo posted:

They did release that Luigi expansion pack, for nearly the price of a brand new game.

I do really like some of the other series they produce, especially Rhythm Heaven, Mother, Xenoblade, Wario Ware, Elite Beat Agents, and Freshly-Picked: Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland, but these types of games come out so infrequently, and most of them are relegated to the portable systems.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Wow what savings. Thanks Gamestop. :jerkbag:

Mario 3D World is the same philosophy as NSMB, where you take the previous game and create new levels for it in a level editor and then call it a new game.

so why is Super Mario Galaxy 2 well regarded if its the same philosophy as NSMB?

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
Someone mentioned earlier something about Nintendo's online network taking forever with patching and everything seeming simple just because its so unused right now.

You're probably right. Their online networking code is utter poo poo. I've seen some of the code and spoken to people who have worked with it and no one likes it. There are a lot of really badly done programming things like overwriting memory that shouldn't be touched if you run out of space. And other horrible things.

Spiffo posted:

Perhaps the same could be said of all Wii-U games !!

Beat me to it. I was going to say, it never stopped them from making the decision that he Wii-U was the right way to go. Also, at this point as much as we'd like to see them realize the system sucks and try to roll something better out they really can't They're stuck with this thing for several years because they can't shaft the people who own it.

Look how much some 3DS owners are griping over the 2Ds.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Pixeltendo posted:

so why is Super Mario Galaxy 2 well regarded if its the same philosophy as NSMB?
I think because the level design is more inspired. Each planet has its own interesting mechanic and setting. Maybe it comes from the Star design as opposed to the Star Coin design, but NSMB games have the most unimaginative levels in the world. The games do nothing to switch things up from level 1 to fighting bowser. When I saw the level based on Starry Night by Van Gogh in NSMBU, I thought "oh maybe they're doing something different this time around." Nope, it was the only level like that.

In the Galaxy games you don't really know what you're in for with each level until you get there. And that's a trait of some of the best platformers out there. Rayman Origins/Legends and DKC/DKCR are very similar. There's no level wasted. Each new level introduces something new or interesting. You are not just going through the same motions. The NSMB series, in my opinion, plays like Just Another Platformer rather than a Nintendo Platformer.

Mario 3D Land is somewhere inbetween, because it has a lot more variety to its levels and yet at the same time you definitely feel deja vu as you play. It uses some of the gameplay mechanics of Galaxy, like the rhythm-based platforms and the blue/red platforms that swap when you jump. But I don't think it really invented much of its own. It seemed to just crib from past titles.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Aug 29, 2013

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

illcendiary posted:

It really can't be anything else. They can't claim that they can't think of anything new and interesting to do with it on one hand, and then wet-fart half a dozen New Super Mario retreads every time you turn around with the other. Or I guess they can. Whatever.

The last F-Zero was on the Gamecube- a new one in HD would just be swell. It's not hard to imagine. It's a game about racing around at 1000 mph while strapped to a cruise missile. :geno:

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I don't see how they can generate buzz and excitement when they refuse to talk about any games that aren't immediately launching within six months. It's a philosophy that I think has burnt them, because it gives the consumer the impression that nothing's coming in the future.

I don't care if the games won't arrive until 2019, Nintendo should show some sort of teaser for a new Metroid title or a new Zelda title because that would sell systems. It doesn't matter if the games don't actually exist yet. You say it's coming and you get people excited about it. Hint at a Starfox revival. Show a cutscene of Little Mac punching a dude. Anything.

I remember Nintendo really didn't want to show off Skyward Sword until it was almost released. They were afraid that if everyone saw it they would copy all the new innovations like actual motion controls and the painterly filer draw distance. Somehow they thought it would be the killer app for the Wii add-on no one really used yet and the system was totally not already old hat and underpowered.

And they made money too!

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

I think because the level design is more inspired. Each planet has its own interesting mechanic and setting. Maybe it comes from the Star design as opposed to the Star Coin design, but NSMB games have the most unimaginative levels in the world. The games do nothing to switch things up from level 1 to fighting bowser. When I saw the level based on Starry Night by Van Gogh in NSMBU, I thought "oh maybe they're doing something different this time around." Nope, it was the only level like that.

In the Galaxy games you don't really know what you're in for with each level until you get there. And that's a trait of some of the best platformers out there. Rayman Origins/Legends and DKC/DKCR are very similar. There's no level wasted. Each new level introduces something new or interesting. You are not just going through the same motions.

I understand, yeah if theres one thing I don't like about the NSMB games is their repeated _____ world thing, its always the same grass, desert, water etc. Nsmb 2 did mix it up a bit with the mushroom and fire flower world, but again nothing like raymans or SML2.

Super Mario 3D world I do have hopes for, It looks like there will be better boss battles and more unique themes like 3D land did too.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Heran Bago posted:

I remember Nintendo really didn't want to show off Skyward Sword until it was almost released. They were afraid that if everyone saw it they would copy all the new innovations like actual motion controls and the painterly filer draw distance. Somehow they thought it would be the killer app for the Wii add-on no one really used yet and the system was totally not already old hat and underpowered.

And they made money too!
They did make money but it was the lowest selling 3D Zelda title and the Wii was already in a billion homes. It's a bit different when you're not in any homes at all and the reason for a portion of that absence is lack of excitement about future titles.

Pixeltendo posted:

Super Mario 3D world I do have hopes for, It looks like there will be better boss battles and more unique themes like 3D land did too.
I hope the themes are more unique than the 3DS title because I feel like it kept cycling between similar themes. Like it always had the same underground motif and the same tropical motif. That may have been a memory/file space issue, I dunno.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Aug 29, 2013

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

The 3D Mario games are really imaginative, even Sunshine since it's the only one that takes place in a less abstract and more realistic world. There is so much you can do with 2D games now that you're not limited to the capabilities of the SNES, (although Yoshi's Island really pushed it to the limit) but the NSMB games really just feel like they're devoid of creativity.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

That loving Sned posted:

The 3D Mario games are really imaginative, even Sunshine since it's the only one that takes place in a less abstract and more realistic world. There is so much you can do with 2D games now that you're not limited to the capabilities of the SNES, (although Yoshi's Island really pushed it to the limit) but the NSMB games really just feel like they're devoid of creativity.

The original New Super Mario Bros was like "HEY REMEMBER THIS???" and we were like "Whoooah, yeah! I remember this from ages ago!!"

Now they keep going "HEY REMEMBER THIS???" and we're like "uh, yeah grandpa, you already showed us that one last time" anyway what I'm saying is that Nintendo is going senile and needs to be put in a home

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Heran Bago posted:

I remember Nintendo really didn't want to show off Skyward Sword until it was almost released. They were afraid that if everyone saw it they would copy all the new innovations like actual motion controls and the painterly filer draw distance.

If this is true it's the stupidest thing I've ever heard of ever.

IF DEVELOPERS COPY YOUR FIRST PARTY INNOVATIONS THAT MEANS THERE WILL BE MORE GAMES MADE FOR YOU SYSTEM HENCE MORE SYSTEM/SOFTWARE SALES YOU RETARDS!!!!!

I mean, There's dumb. But this is like....virtual boy dumb.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Is there a quote from anyone to that effect? That honestly sounds like the usual fanfic-y speculation about what's happening behind the scenes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Trollologist posted:

If this is true it's the stupidest thing I've ever heard of ever.

IF DEVELOPERS COPY YOUR FIRST PARTY INNOVATIONS THAT MEANS THERE WILL BE MORE GAMES MADE FOR YOU SYSTEM HENCE MORE SYSTEM/SOFTWARE SALES YOU RETARDS!!!!!

I mean, There's dumb. But this is like....virtual boy dumb.

In one of the interviews with Cerny people posted around e3 he said that Sony's first party teams basically were doing that before/during the ps3 launch. They were actually keeping tips and tricks away from 3rd party developers so their games were the best or something. Then they realized how retarded that was and did a 180 where they brought devs in to teach them.

• Locked thread