Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Yodzilla posted:

I was disappointed that attempting to open the front porch door and leave the house at the beginning didn't just reveal a huge monster that kills you instantly ala Alone in the Dark.

No joke, I thought for sure after I had found the first servant hallway that not checking to make sure the front door was locked meant a burglar would have broken in and started wandering around out of sight.

Then, on my way to the front door to check, the footsteps started.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

death .cab for qt posted:

No joke, I thought for sure after I had found the first servant hallway that not checking to make sure the front door was locked meant a burglar would have broken in and started wandering around out of sight.

Then, on my way to the front door to check, the footsteps started.

This all just disappoints me more than anything. I want a good horror/thriller game for once and this had the perfect kind of groundwork for it. :mad:

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Yardbomb posted:

This all just disappoints me more than anything. I want a good horror/thriller game for once and this had the perfect kind of groundwork for it. :mad:

I honestly think that would be the best kind of horror game. I mean, be honest. How many of you actually closed the doors behind you when you first walked in?

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

RightClickSaveAs posted:

It also made me a little nostalgic for the 90s, which is something I never really thought of before. The 90s was sort of a forgotten decade in that sense, it's too recent for serious nostalgia and was overshadowed by the 80s (of which there is plenty of misplaced nostalgia) and the excitement of the year 2000. But I'm just old enough to be nostalgic about it, I think.
There's seemingly a 20 year lag on this sort of thing, presumably because that's the time gap between a generation being teenage rebels and being mid-30s professionals who can afford to invest in nostalgia. A lot of 90s stuff hasn't really gone away (people still play Street Fighter and Mario games) and I'm not so sure we've moved on that much musically. I think we're going to see more nostalgia for that period over the next few years though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwS14TiO7Pk

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

I honestly think that would be the best kind of horror game. I mean, be honest. How many of you actually closed the doors behind you when you first walked in?

I did because I wasn't raised in a goddamn barn. :mad:

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

OatmealRaisin posted:

You would get the bonus mode where you are haunted by a Christmas duck that appears in different spots in rooms, or disappears. If you pick it up, the eyes very slightly follow you as you move it

Nothing else happens

Laradus
Feb 16, 2011

OatmealRaisin posted:

I did, because the atmosphere was already getting to me. :)

E: I would have enjoyed that bonus mode more I think!

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

There were so many openings for subtle things to unnerve the player. I would have poo poo myself if, while walking around, i noticed a door was closed while I was purposefully leaving them all open to mark rooms I explored

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

I did. I also turned off lights when I left a room, just like I do in real life, so I was slightly peeved that there was that note that said "you're as bad as your sister" about turning lights off :mad:.

Also, holy poo poo, nobody look at the forums on Steam for this game. People are just so angry that the game that openly advertises itself as being an immersive narrative experience with no combat or puzzles turned out to be an immersive narrative experience with no combat or puzzles.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007
Did Dear Esther get this kind of backlash?

I don't even like DE in the least, I just can't figure out why there's such a ridiculously unmeasured response to this particular game.

It's because the main characters are all women :ssh:

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
Dear Esther didn't get nearly the amount of positive reception this game did. There was nothing to lash back against.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It's received a lot of critical acclaim, has feminist themes, and doesn't have action or puzzles. Unsurprisingly this is threatening to many gamers.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Yardbomb posted:

You might try Scratches if you haven't already. It's not the same kind of game (adventure game-style puzzles that have at least a moderate grounding in reality, point and click rather than free movement) but it's the same "big house oh god ghosts" kind of thing.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

DreamShipWrecked posted:

You might try Scratches if you haven't already.

Yep, it was a pretty fun game but at the same time it didn't have the same kind of pop. Plus once or twice it ran into the *CLICK EVERYWHERE OR ELSE* problem, where that one key you direly needed was just randomly dumped in a vase that's identical to the dozen other vases. :v:

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
I looked over a few of the dates in the game.

April 5, 1995 - Sam's journal entry worrying about her parents sending her away.
April 6, 1995 - TV Guide clipping about the de-gay camp.
April 22, 1995 - Sam's entry about her parents confronting her about Lonnie.

I wonder who took the clipping. Maybe the parents suspected something? Maybe Sam removed it from the TV guide for other reasons, perhaps to keep her parents from finding it just in case?

I couldn't find the date of Oscar's death, I wonder if this fits in somewhere.
March 8, 1976 - Date on publisher note refusing to publish the third book.
February 3, 1978 - Date on paper recommending Terry write for HiFi mag.
August 1, 1994 - Date on moving company invoice.
August 15, 1994 - Date on request to review CLD-D703 laserdisc player.
August 20, 1994 - Sam's entry about the new house
September 15, 1994 - Postmark on HiFi shipping box, listing change of address.
November 1, 1994 - Letter from the editor about the declining reviews. Mentions "the last few months" which I don't know if he refers to the time Terry started submitting reviews or the time that his reviews have declined.
Present day - Unfinished review of CLD-D703 laserdisc player sitting in typewriter. Geez, that is one patient magazine.

I'm not sure how to parse this.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Yardbomb posted:

Yep, it was a pretty fun game but at the same time it didn't have the same kind of pop. Plus once or twice it ran into the *CLICK EVERYWHERE OR ELSE* problem, where that one key you direly needed was just randomly dumped in a vase that's identical to the dozen other vases. :v:

And you can tell which vase it is by opening a window via a fifteen step process that only slightly increases the brightness of the room but apparently is *just enough* to find it, I get what you're saying.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

DreamShipWrecked posted:

And you can tell which vase it is by opening a window via a fifteen step process that only slightly increases the brightness of the room but apparently is *just enough* to find it, I get what you're saying.
Don't forget you can't find the key in the vase until you go into another room and look at the picture of the vase with a key hanging over it! :pcgaming: adventure game logic :pcgaming:

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

Many words have been said but I haven't seen anyone comment on my favorite thing...

My dread at the beginning was entirely based around my personal safety- ghosts, dangers in the house, etc. Whereas my dread as it developed over the course of the game became entirely external. I no longer was worried about myself, I was worried about everyone else- were they okay? How did this subplot develop, what were they feeling? How did it end up? Where are they now?

I thought that was really meaningful, in its way, and I think it might be what people are referring to when they say they rushed straight for the attic etc. Over the course of the game you've learned to dismiss any threat to yourself and take on the fears of other people. Fears of murder or burglary turn to fears of suicide. Fears of ghosts turns to fears of oppressive pasts. and so on. I dunno, I don't think I'm explaining it completely, but it meant a lot to me. these are the things that actually haunt us- things we had no control over, things about what other people think or feel, things about mistakes we've made

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Fina posted:

I looked over a few of the dates in the game.

April 5, 1995 - Sam's journal entry worrying about her parents sending her away.
April 6, 1995 - TV Guide clipping about the de-gay camp.
April 22, 1995 - Sam's entry about her parents confronting her about Lonnie.

I wonder who took the clipping. Maybe the parents suspected something? Maybe Sam removed it from the TV guide for other reasons, perhaps to keep her parents from finding it just in case?

I couldn't find the date of Oscar's death, I wonder if this fits in somewhere.
March 8, 1976 - Date on publisher note refusing to publish the third book.
February 3, 1978 - Date on paper recommending Terry write for HiFi mag.
August 1, 1994 - Date on moving company invoice.
August 15, 1994 - Date on request to review CLD-D703 laserdisc player.
August 20, 1994 - Sam's entry about the new house
September 15, 1994 - Postmark on HiFi shipping box, listing change of address.
November 1, 1994 - Letter from the editor about the declining reviews. Mentions "the last few months" which I don't know if he refers to the time Terry started submitting reviews or the time that his reviews have declined.
Present day - Unfinished review of CLD-D703 laserdisc player sitting in typewriter. Geez, that is one patient magazine.

I'm not sure how to parse this.

Not sure if you checked these before or after it, but today's patch changed fixed some dates. I don't know if it applies to these, though.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Anyone else try looking up some of the ISBNs from the books that had them? So far I've found these three, I'm going to play through again and check out the rest later (If I were to :spergin: out I'd point out that ISBN-13 wouldn't have been around yet in 1995 and the books would have had 10 digit ISBNs most likely, but I'm not gonna do that!):

Book 1 and 2 written by Terry have the ISBN 9781932698183 which brings up

Cabinet 22: Insecurity by Najafi, Sina & Jeffrey Kastner & Eyal Weizman

quote:

The idea that our time is obsessed with the modes and methods of security is by now a commonplace, yet behind this familiar syndrome lies a less-examined array of social and psychological phenomena--not just related to the nature of the threat faced (whether real or simply perceived) but also to the fundamental notions of stability and integrity these perils are understood to jeopardize. The Insecurity issue of Cabinet features Brian Dillon on hypochondria; Gaby Wood on phantom limbs; Eyal Weizman on the relationship between postmodern architectural theory and contemporary strategies of urban warfare; and Jeffrey Kastner on eighteenth-century master locksmith Joseph Bramah. It includes a conversation with Olivier Razac (on the history of barbed wire) as well as an artists' portfolio of real and imaginary "security blankets," Celeste Olalquiaga's examination of the sewers of Paris, Jenny Tobias's take on stock photography and an interview with accent coach Sam Schwa.
:catstare:

And the JFK nonfiction book from his study whose title I forgot to screencap has ISBN 9781402894626 which is "America by Air: The Early Years of Air Transportation, 1914-1927", no cover image available. :iiam:

Although I do have to point out that Terry's first two books have the same ISBN immersion ruined this game is bullshit

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Although I do have to point out that Terry's first two books have the same ISBN immersion ruined this game is bullshit
Clearly every copy of a book in his house was a proof with a placeholder ISBN. They couldn't know then that 13 numbers would actually be used in the future. :eng101:

(Those books actually sound pretty interesting.)

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Podcast with Steve Gaynor (one of the devs) that I haven't listened to but which I guess has information about ~~secrets~~!

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007
After playing Gone Home I can't say I'd mind if certain games did away with "gameplay" as we currently know it. Two games I'm thinking of off the top of my head are Walking Dead and Deadly Premonition.

You know what I loved about Deadly Premonition? The town of Greenvale, the whole cast of weird and quirky characters, the little side quests and errands you ran for the townsfolk, and digging into all of the deep dark secrets the town had to offer. You know what I didn't love about Deadly Premonition? The clunky Resident-Evil-4-submerged-in-molasses combat sections. I've always felt that if you took Deadly Premonition, cut out the combat levels, and maybe illustrated the danger of the shadows in a different way to compensate, it would be my dream game.

Walking Dead was another game that I really liked except for, ironically, the gameplay part. It had a really awesome narrative and compelling characters and held up the illusion that your choices mattered better than any other game I've played, but it got bogged down by the puzzles. Every puzzle in that game was barely more complex than, "Your progress is blocked by a square hole. Find the square peg in this area and insert it to proceed." It was like this tautological thing, Walking Dead is an adventure game and it has puzzles because adventure games have puzzles.

Obviously this wouldn't work for every game under the sun. Dead Rising is fun because you get to smash zombies in increasingly absurd ways, Mario is fun because you get to play all kinds of platforming challenges, and Skyrim is fun because you get to travel the land and be a big dragon-stomping hero. I just feel like gaming as a whole would be improved if developers were conscious of whether traditional gameplay adds to the experience they want the player to have, or if they're just sticking gameplay conventions into their game because it's a game and needs to have gameplay conventions.

ookuwagata
Aug 26, 2007

I love you this much!
I experienced a really weird bug where I save and quit in the foyer... and when I restarted, I had a bottle of vodka in my hands. Okay Katie, yeah I know you're processing some really heavy stuff right now, but drinking's not the answer.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

OatmealRaisin posted:

You know what I loved about Deadly Premonition? The town of Greenvale, the whole cast of weird and quirky characters, the little side quests and errands you ran for the townsfolk, and digging into all of the deep dark secrets the town had to offer. You know what I didn't love about Deadly Premonition? The clunky Resident-Evil-4-submerged-in-molasses combat sections. I've always felt that if you took Deadly Premonition, cut out the combat levels, and maybe illustrated the danger of the shadows in a different way to compensate, it would be my dream game.
The combat in that game was notoriously tacked on. I don't mind there being some combat element (the boss fights are thematically interesting, and you need to use a gun/weapon to access various items and areas in the town map as well), but having every otherworld area just stuffed with them was poor balancing. The stealth mechanic (holding your breath) introduced right at the beginning could have been made more important than it was. There are certainly elements of gameplay outside of combat though, from the weird puzzles to the fetch quests to the racing sequences.

But yes, it was a game with a story that could have worked well without the combat (and is easily one of my favourite of this last generation despite the game looking like poo poo for the most part).

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Podcast with Steve Gaynor (one of the devs) that I haven't listened to but which I guess has information about ~~secrets~~!

It's not real secrets, it's a framing device for the interviewer to embarrass Steve Gaynor with gushing voice mails from various people in the industry. "I found a secret room and all these voice mails came out!"

Pinterest Mom fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Aug 28, 2013

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Pinterest Mom posted:

It's not real secrets, it's a framing device for the interviewer to embarrass Steve Gaynor with gushing voice mails from various people in the industry. "I found a secret room and all these voice mails came out!"

Dude, spoilers <:mad:>

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Thanks for posting that, that was great. It goes into the writing process of the game a bit early on which I hadn't seen elsewhere.

The voice messages later on are kind of touching as well.

DentArthurDent
Aug 3, 2010

Diddums
I’m mostly a PC gamer, but a week or so ago I decided to look into what was happening in the console world. I didn’t realize that the next gen consoles were coming out this fall, so I looked at the release-day games for both new console systems … Maybe this would be the year I give up and buy an Xbox of Playstation (and my PC is getting a little old).

But looking at the release-day titles for both systems, I did not see a single one that filled me with enthusiasm. It was kind of depressing. Sure, there were a few games I would have tried if they were put in front of me, but nothing that would make me go out and spend hundreds of dollars on a particular system. If these were the big titles of the next six months, would I even be playing video games much in the coming year?

(I don’t want this to turn this entirely into a PC vs Console feud, as I have played some great games ported over to the PC from the console, or released for both systems: Alan Wake, Dishonored, the Mass Effect series, Skyrim, etc.)

Feeling discouraged by what passes for triple-A games these days, I opened up the Steam store to see what new or upcoming PC games were there, and immediately saw four that caught my attention. The first was Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs (a must buy, considering how great the first game was). The second was Outlast (looks like an Amnesia rip-off, but there are worse games to rip off). The third was Sir, You are Being Hunted (it looks delightfully quirky, I hope the game is as good as it promises). And the fourth was Gone Home.

I kind of regret buying and playing Gone Home first, since I don’t see any way the other three games can come close to being as unique and original as it was. But it did make me feel a whole lot better for the future of PC gaming. If all we get in the coming years is more games like Gone Home (with the occasional big-budget title ported over from consoles, or cross-platform releases like Skyrim) I’ll be perfectly happy sticking with my PC.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

DentArthurDent posted:

Sir, You are Being Hunted (it looks delightfully quirky, I hope the game is as good as it promises)

It's pretty fun but it's still in alpha last time I looked, so if you do grab it don't be put off by things still looking a little wonky and all that. Aside from that it's a pretty neat little game though.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

exquisite tea posted:

It's received a lot of critical acclaim, has feminist themes, and doesn't have action or puzzles. Unsurprisingly this is threatening to many gamers.

It's pretty much a Unity game with a hefty price tag slapped on it. I like adventure games, I have received uni credit for multiple classes in feminism, yet I still found Gone Home to be pretty much a scam.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

DentArthurDent posted:

But looking at the release-day titles for both systems, I did not see a single one that filled me with enthusiasm. It was kind of depressing. Sure, there were a few games I would have tried if they were put in front of me, but nothing that would make me go out and spend hundreds of dollars on a particular system. If these were the big titles of the next six months, would I even be playing video games much in the coming year?

Well you're in luck because the next big game of this type "Everybody's Gone to the Rapture" will be a PS4 exclusive:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3PG7k6vyyY

steinrokkan posted:

It's pretty much a Unity game with a hefty price tag slapped on it. I like adventure games, I have received uni credit for multiple classes in feminism, yet I still found Gone Home to be pretty much a scam.

If you think charging 20 bucks for a game made with Unity is a scam then get ready to enter a sinister world with con men around every corner, because Unity is the future.

ambushsabre
Sep 1, 2009

It's...it's not shutting down!

steinrokkan posted:

I'm not sure why having multiple degrees in feminism makes you more qualified to play Gone Home than I am but ok.

e: sorry multiple class credits not degrees.

e2: FROM UNI

e3: I'd like to apologize for this post, I actually represent the opposite of what feminism achieves.

ambushsabre fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Aug 30, 2013

Al Nipper
May 7, 2008

by XyloJW

OatmealRaisin posted:

After playing Gone Home I can't say I'd mind if certain games did away with "gameplay" as we currently know it. Two games I'm thinking of off the top of my head are Walking Dead and Deadly Premonition.
I agree. Normally when I sit down with non-gamer friends to share the best parts of a game, it requires skipping combat or gameplay elements that interrupt the narrative or come across as nonsensical to layman. I loved exploring the environments in BioShock Infinite more than the combat, and hated being interrupted by clunky and frustrating fights. And I tried Walking Dead but lost interest when nonsensical adventure game mechanics reared their ugly head.

Gone Home works because the gameplay services the narrative without interrupting it, and doesn't feel tacked on.

There's always a place for games where the experience is defined by twitch gameplay (GTA, TF2) but there need to be logic and balance when pairing it with a compelling story. Dead Space worked because it makes sense that Isaac would have to kill thousands of enemies on his journey, whereas a lot of games (Tomb Raider, Last of Us) have a disconnect between the protagonist's character arc and the fact that they're killing machines. It's really interesting that a lot of attention has been paid to this disconnect in the past year or so by critics and fans, with even a silly action game like Far Cry 3 revealing that the 'hero' is perceived by his friends as a bloodthirsty maniac by games end.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

ambushsabre posted:

I'm not sure why having multiple degrees in feminism makes you more qualified to play Gone Home than I am but ok.

e: sorry multiple class credits not degrees.

e2: FROM UNI

The premise of the post I reacted to was that players were intimidated by this game's content. Hence me saying that this was not my first encounter with the topic, and that actually it was a fairly disappointing experience, implicitly extrapolating that some other users had the same experience, and that considering the mode assumed by most feminist work, thi game feels rather sleazy and dishonest.

E: But congrats on being able to craft false meaning out of arbitrarily emphasized words. It's almost like you represent the opposite of what feminism tries to achieve.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Aug 30, 2013

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

steinrokkan posted:

The premise of the post I reacted to was that players were intimidated by this game's content. Hence me saying that this was not my first encounter with the topic, and that actually it was a fairly disappointing experience, implicitly extrapolating that some other users had the same experience, and that considering the mode assumed by most feminist work, thi game feels rather sleazy and dishonest.

I really wish people would stop saying this. It's been pointed out before that this game does almost exactly what it says on the tin.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

t3h z0r posted:

(The Last of Us) A disconnect between the protagonist's character arc and the fact that they're killing machines.

That's not a very good example. Joel IS a cold-blooded killer in his character, it just fades with Ellie around for a little bit but oh boy does it come back to the spotlight later.

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

the black husserl posted:

If you think charging 20 bucks for a game made with Unity is a scam then get ready to enter a sinister world with con men around every corner, because Unity is the future.

Yeah, "Pretty much a Unity game" might be code for "pretty much a 3D video game made by anyone other than a major AAA manufacturer or very very tech-centric indie" in about two years time.

Bluedust
Jan 7, 2009

by Ralp
The only thing that really got me from this game was when I found a Leaves of Grass book. I know it's meant to be back in the 90s but I'm sure that was a Breaking Bad callout considering literally any other book could have been used. I laughed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

steinrokkan posted:

Guys Unity is pretty much the new Flash and we all know you don't pay for Flash games right??

• Locked thread