Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
The IW engine is amazing - when you load a new section it kills the executable and starts another. A new instance popping back up is intended behaviour.

It also led to the difficulty level bug in Thief: DS, because every time a new instance was created the difficulty would reset to normal!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
If IW was any good it'd be begging for a source port. As it stands...

MrL_JaKiri posted:

It also led to the difficulty level bug in Thief: DS, because every time a new instance was created the difficulty would reset to normal!

Hah, reminds me of X-COM, which would reset the difficulty to easy after the first fight. This led people to complain that even the highest difficulty levels were too easy, and as a result of that feedback, the sequel, X-COM: Terror From the Deep was made brutally difficult.

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL
Yeah I'd heard about it having to kill itself and start back up every time you load, which is loving incredible, but what's even more incredible is that that would actually be a huge improvement for me - IW won't even shut itself down, I have to kill the process myself or else it just hangs on the load screen forever. Just killing the process takes a minute or two, then there's another minute or two for it to reboot, and I've heard this game has an unbearable amount of area transitions, so unless I can find a fix I'm probably gonna have to give up... which I realize is what I should be doing anyway.

Little Blue Couch
Oct 19, 2007

WIRED FOR SOUND
AND
DOWN FOR WHATEVER

Crindee posted:

Goddamn you guys weren't kidding about IW. I'm one of those poor fools who wants to try to power through it just because of how good the original is, but the game's not making it easy on me - especially the part where every time it loads a new area I have to ctrl+alt+delete, shut down the game, and wait (sometimes several minutes) for a new instance to spontaneously pop back up like nothing happened, at which point it loads the new area. Google says to set the process to only use one core, but apparently Google is wrong because that doesn't seem to do anything. Anybody know a fix? At this rate I won't be able to make myself continue wasting precious minutes of my life on this reportedly-mediocre game, and may be forced to do something constructive with my time.

Do you want to hear what fixed this problem for me? Exiting every instance of Google Chrome. Puzzle that one out.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I had a friend play Invisible War on steam, and he annoyed everyone on his friends list because every couple of minutes "X IS PLAYING DEUS EX: INVISIBLE WAR" would come up because the game launches itself over again whenever time it loads.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Crindee posted:

I've heard this game has an unbearable amount of area transitions

It's true, the areas are really small. They split up a level from Deus Ex that was formerly one area in the first game into two, if that's any indication of how bad it is. I guess it was due to the XBox's low level of system memory but there's still no excuses, it is just terrible.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I remember hearing the reason for this being that they wanted to write a new engine for the game, but the guy who was writing it (yes, just one guy) left the company in the middle of the project, so the rest of the team was left with this poorly optimized, minimally documented piece of poo poo engine they were forced to cope with.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

iirc that guy stripped out unreals lighting engine and wrote his own, but quit when it was half finished and they couldnt revert it for some reason.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

GreatGreen posted:

I remember hearing the reason for this being that they wanted to write a new engine for the game, but the guy who was writing it (yes, just one guy) left the company in the middle of the project, so the rest of the team was left with this poorly optimized, minimally documented piece of poo poo engine they were forced to cope with.

Oh wow, so it's literally an exact repeat of what happened with the original Thief's Dark engine, only the Dark engine was much better than Invisible War's.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Sometimes people get mad when they scrap a game and start over from scratch, for example the new Thief game. But just imagine how much better off we would all be if they did just start from scratch on IW and Thief: Deadly Shadows

The Colonel posted:

Oh wow, so it's literally an exact repeat of what happened with the original Thief's Dark engine, only the Dark engine was much better than Invisible War's.

If you mean Deadly Shadows then it's not a repeat, it really is the same engine, the same guy, and the same story. Unless you mean something like that happened for the original.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

If you mean Deadly Shadows then it's not a repeat, it really is the same engine, the same guy, and the same story. Unless you mean something like that happened for the original.

Yeah, the original Thief and Thief 2 had a really weird Dark engine. The developers themselves didn't how to fully use it, because the guy who designed it left mid-development. It also caused a bit of trouble with the System Shock 2 developers, since they had no idea how to use the engine, and the version they were using was unfinished, and the people at Looking Glass didn't entirely know how to fully use it either. The difference is that the Dark engine actually allowed for huge open environments, and didn't ruin the games.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

But just imagine how much better off we would all be if they did just start from scratch on IW and Thief: Deadly Shadows

It's funny, because this is all playing out again with Prey 2. Human Head dropped the project* and now Arkane is heading it. A lot of people are upset but by most accounts all they had done was art assets and a scripted "vertical slice" demo for E3, while Arkane made Thief 4 Dishonored and is internally referring to their take on Prey 2 as a spiritual successor to System Shock 3 :swoon:

*Admittedly, they dropped it because Zenimax/Bethesda have a history of doing shady poo poo involving bringing on a new dev, sabotaging their game's development, and loaning money to keep them afloat until they can finally just take over the studio. Given the choice between going into debt and being bought out and just walking away I'd probably take the latter too.

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

There's a postmortem on the Thief development on Gamasutra. They were still able to have the renderer programmer around on a contractual basis at least. They were in a similar situation with the AI system but did end up starting over in the last six months of development.

Hammsturabi
Dec 25, 2003
Law 54: If a house collapses, and the owners hamster should die, the builders hamster shall be put to death.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

It's funny, because this is all playing out again with Prey 2. Human Head dropped the project* and now Arkane is heading it. A lot of people are upset but by most accounts all they had done was art assets and a scripted "vertical slice" demo for E3, while Arkane made Thief 4 Dishonored and is internally referring to their take on Prey 2 as a spiritual successor to System Shock 3 :swoon:

What the...? That's awesome news. A combination of Prey and System Shock 2 would be amazing. Both games already have the whole "creepy alien body horror" vibe going on. If they could also incorporate the following two elements from SS2 into Prey, it would be the perfect game for fans of both series:
- In SS2, you actually felt like prey, i.e. scared and struggling for survival.
- In SS2, you could revisit any part of the game you'd already been to. It really felt like exploring a space station, rather than a sequence of levels. Now imagine exploring a space station with all of Prey's signature gimmicks: portals, shrinking, walking on ceilings, etc. It would be an improvement on both games, especially considering the linear Doom 3/Quake 4 gameplay of Prey.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Hammsturabi posted:

What the...? That's awesome news. A combination of Prey and System Shock 2 would be amazing. Both games already have the whole "creepy alien body horror" vibe going on. If they could also incorporate the following two elements from SS2 into Prey, it would be the perfect game for fans of both series:
- In SS2, you actually felt like prey, i.e. scared and struggling for survival.
- In SS2, you could revisit any part of the game you'd already been to. It really felt like exploring a space station, rather than a sequence of levels. Now imagine exploring a space station with all of Prey's signature gimmicks: portals, shrinking, walking on ceilings, etc. It would be an improvement on both games, especially considering the linear Doom 3/Quake 4 gameplay of Prey.

But they would need twice the number of wall vaginas and offensive Native American mysticism references. I mean, it's a sequel. :colbert:

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner
This is going to make me sound weird, but I've just noticed there's a strange little piece of censorship in the GOG version of the game. One of doors to an inaccessible room in the 'Ton Hotel had a comedy sound effect of a couple going at it hammer and tongs. With the GOG version, it's been replaced by the sound of someone watching an action film at an obnoxious volume ( car tyres screeching , etc ) . So bear that in mind if you want The Full Deus Ex Experience, I guess.

Also, didn't the throwing knives used to be shurikens in some versions, until they changed it to comply with Britain's stringent Anti-Ninja laws of the time? Or am I conflating it with Shadow Warrior?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
You're conflating with Shadow Warrior, which changed shuriken (an exotic item not easily obtainable in the UK, especially if you want ones actually balanced for throwing) with darts (balanced for throwing, easily obtainable in any pub, basically cost nothing). They've been throwing knives in every version I've ever played.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Prenton posted:

This is going to make me sound weird, but I've just noticed there's a strange little piece of censorship in the GOG version of the game. One of doors to an inaccessible room in the 'Ton Hotel had a comedy sound effect of a couple going at it hammer and tongs. With the GOG version, it's been replaced by the sound of someone watching an action film at an obnoxious volume ( car tyres screeching , etc ) . So bear that in mind if you want The Full Deus Ex Experience, I guess.

Also, didn't the throwing knives used to be shurikens in some versions, until they changed it to comply with Britain's stringent Anti-Ninja laws of the time? Or am I conflating it with Shadow Warrior?

I thought one of those rooms had sound effect of people clearly having sex

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

I thought one of those rooms had sound effect of people clearly having sex

...Yes, that is what he said.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Prenton posted:

comedy sound effect of a couple going at it hammer and tongs

:psyduck: Learnin some new slang here...

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

AXE COP posted:

...Yes, that is what he said.
Like... bags of sand...

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much

Prenton posted:

One of doors to an inaccessible room in the 'Ton Hotel had a comedy sound effect of a couple going at it hammer and tongs.

I think they're only banging shagging the second time you get to Hell's Kitchen, though if that was the case for you then that's a bummer but it's unprecedented (GoG censoring things) as far as I know.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Mr.Hotkeys posted:

I think they're only banging shagging the second time you get to Hell's Kitchen, though if that was the case for you then that's a bummer but it's unprecedented (GoG censoring things) as far as I know.

They're banging only if you save them from the hostage situation. Otherwise they're, you know, dead.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Party Plane Jones posted:

They're banging only if you save them from the hostage situation. Otherwise they're, you know, dead.

Seriously?

This game. :allears:

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta

Party Plane Jones posted:

You've just blown my mind if this is true because I was sure I knew absolutely 1005 of everything there is to know about Deus Ex.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008

...of SCIENCE! posted:

... and is internally referring to their take on Prey 2 as a spiritual successor to System Shock 3 :swoon:

I'd settle for a spiritual sucessor to System Shock 2 :v:

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner

Fuzz posted:

Seriously?

This game. :allears:

Having played a bit further, this appears to be true. You win again, Deus Ex.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Is there anyplace to get pistol ammo in Hong Kong? I've specialized in pistols not realizing enemies stop carrying them (and thus ammo).

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

Upmarket Mango posted:

Is there anyplace to get pistol ammo in Hong Kong? I've specialized in pistols not realizing enemies stop carrying them (and thus ammo).

I think the police station has a pretty well-stocked area that probably has them.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Derek Dominoe posted:

I think the police station has a pretty well-stocked area that probably has them.

Does it restock? I think I already raided that.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

Upmarket Mango posted:

Does it restock? I think I already raided that.

I don't think so. Google search is telling me there are several places to find 10mm in Versalife, including some crates. But here's the real solution to your ammo troubles: Dragon's Tooth. :ssh:

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Derek Dominoe posted:

I don't think so. Google search is telling me there are several places to find 10mm in Versalife, including some crates. But here's the real solution to your ammo troubles: Dragon's Tooth. :ssh:

Yeah, I still got that. I was just hoping to avoid having to spend the points to increase my skills.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Upmarket Mango posted:

Yeah, I still got that. I was just hoping to avoid having to spend the points to increase my skills.

Pretty sure Tracer Tong's has some in the firing range. Jock's apartment should have some in the closet.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Anyone have the sound skipping issue with Nihilum where voiced sentences cut off early? I don't have that issue with vanilla Deus Ex, so I'm quite confused about why it's happening.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
How do you get the code for that door to the aug upgrade in Osgood and Sons on your first visit to Hell's Kitchen?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Talk to Janey in the Underworld Bar, agree to save Sandra from Johnny in the nearby alley, then return to Janey to get the code. I think if you save Sandra without talking to Janey first, you might miss out on getting the code. (if you missed it, it's 6549).

Mzbundifund fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Oct 1, 2013

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
I'm in the middle of my first playthrough (at least my first one past the first mission), and I'm wondering how are you suppose to destroy doors with the Dragon's Tooth Sword? I keep hitting doors that don't have infinite damage stability, but nothing happens. If it helps, my low tech weapon skill is at advanced and I'm playing using the New Vision mod (which actually looks really nice, but shouldn't affect anything gameplay wise).

VVV Yeah, I picked heavy lifting because I figured I wouldn't be doing too much meleeing. That's what I get for going in blind (which is still fun, but I know I'm probably missing out on some good stuff).

But, on the upside, the DTS is still loving amazing when it comes to taking out those huge Robocop-style guards that shoot rockets. :)

Obeast fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Oct 3, 2013

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
All doors have a minimum damage threshold you have to pass in order to damage them. On some doors this damage threshold is unpassably high, with others you can just swing away with almost anything. The only way to know is to just swing and try. Later in the game the doors are super sturdy, you might need master skill or the combat strength arm augmentation to manage it. If you installed the heavy lifting augmentation instead, you're out of luck as far as door beating goes, but you can still pick/hack/blow down doors with explosives, but there's no alternatives to heavy lifting as far as moving big objects around. I find the heavy lifting aug more useful for that reason.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
One of the mods like Shifter changed the DT so instead of doing 1x60 damage, it does 3x20 in quick succession. This was deliberate so the DT couldnt lightsaber open doors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

It's the worst change.