Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

rockinricky posted:

The way I saw it is that "The Emancipation Proclamation" is the title of the document, and titles must be exact, including spelling. Like the episode played yesterday with the response of "Waitin For Godot".

I always thought it was just judge's discretion on degree of misspelling but phonetics is the literal rule according to contestants that have commented (or the misspelling is inconsistent to the category like "starts with A"). Most Jeopardy answers are proper nouns anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.

The Piper posted:

The bad news: today begins a multi-week stretch of reruns
The good news: Colby is back up in dis bitch

I used to play those new fangled table top games like Dominion with him all the time before our mutual friend and I had a falling out. He's an even cooler guy in real life.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
So besides Ken Jennings whose twitter account speaks for itself, Colby has to be the coolest Jeopardy contestant in recent memory right? At least tied with that black kid who won the Teen Tournament like a boss.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So besides Ken Jennings whose twitter account speaks for itself, Colby has to be the coolest Jeopardy contestant in recent memory right? At least tied with that black kid who won the Teen Tournament like a boss.

The only way that finale of the teen tournament would have been if he hosed up and wagered too much, and crashed and burned while being smug about it.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

rockinricky posted:

The way I saw it is that "The Emancipation Proclamation" is the title of the document, and titles must be exact, including spelling. Like the episode played yesterday with the response of "Waitin For Godot".

You know I'd been wondering about that. That really sucked, she clearly just forgot to write the "g".

Miyamoto Musashi
Jul 22, 2006

Ogmius815 posted:

You know I'd been wondering about that. That really sucked, she clearly just forgot to write the "g".

Yeah, she got in a hurry and left 1 letter off. I recall at least 2 occasions where the correct response was "All Quiet on the Western Front" and the contestant got dinged for "Alls Quiet..." It is unfortunate, but as long as it's consistent, I don't have a problem with it. I do think that allowing misspellings that don't change the phonetic pronunciation of the answer are a sensible compromise, though. It's strict without being overly punitive.

yourafagpleasedie
Jun 27, 2013

by zen death robot
Can we go one episode ONE episode where there isn't a question or whole topic devoted to religion?

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
Religion has a long history of influence in everything from scholastics to art to music to exploration to conflict to you name it. It also has a long history of influential events and historical persons, which fits rather well in the context of a brainy television quiz show.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006
Yeah, unfortunately, religion is a huge part of our history and cultural heritage. It makes sense for it to show up a lot.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, I hate how many categories are about literature because I know SFA about it, but I totally understand why it's there.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I loving love the religion categories, and I'm an Atheist. There was an Islam category once and I got the entire thing.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
One episode from this year's Tournament of Champions had a category about Al Gore. A friend used this as an opportunity to make known his feelings about the show's covert liberal bias.

Everybody else laughed at him and changed the subject.

EDIT: The dude was being serious. We laughed even harder.

Gene Hackman Fan fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Aug 16, 2013

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

yourafagpleasedie posted:

Can we go one episode ONE episode where there isn't a question or whole topic devoted to religion?

Well there are a lot of old women who go to church so I understand why you're so annoyed by those categories.

Cordyceps
May 16, 2011
I'm glad they're re-airing the Teen Tournament because I forgot for a little while how much I hate Barrett

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006
I can't decide if Barrett is more likely to become a murderer or a sex-scandal politician.

Maybe both. During sex tourism "diplomatic mission" in Asia, murders his underage prostitute.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Sadly, Barrett's voice was not loud enough to un-preempt Jeopardy, in favor of this SF-SD preseason football game.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
:siren: 30TH SEASON PREMIERE TONIGHT :siren:

New opening! New set! Alex wearing a pocket square!

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
After Final jeopardy, the camera switches and although the winning outcomes are the same, the answers are different (the champion's said "What is Kitty Hawk, NC?").

Do they do fake Final Jeopardy for certain shots or something? I couldn't figure out what was going on....

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
The new set bothers me way more than it should because when the camera is focused on the contestants while they're waiting for someone to ring in, it's at a slight angle instead of looking at them straight on. :spergin:

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

Sorry, a system error occurred.
The new Daily Double screen reminds me of some Lisa Frank poo poo. Jeopardy sets are generally stuck in the 90's, I think.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
A-ha! Someone must've screwed up and edited in a shot from tonight's show last night.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

That is one snazzy new set.

Cordyceps
May 16, 2011
The new set reminds me of the backgrounds we'd get for pictures in elementary school

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Who are these two drunk idiots?

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Who are these two drunk idiots?

They host one of the morning shows. Their gimmick is getting hammered each and every morning.

Sulphuric Sundae
Feb 10, 2006

You can't go in there.
Your father is dead.
I was excited tonight to see a category I knew I'd go all-in for for Final Jeopardy. I was surprised that none of the three got Firefox, but I suppose Chrome has kinda eclipsed it as the default browser people use instead of IE.

I also did a lot better in the Georgia O'Keefe category than I thought I would. That one about groups of nations/territories killed me, though.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001
My ex-girlfriend from high school was on Jeopardy last night, which was pretty funny to see.

I couldn't believe nobody got Firefox. I knew it instantly.

Sulphuric Sundae
Feb 10, 2006

You can't go in there.
Your father is dead.
Being an IT guy, I try to remember that I might have a disproportionately good knowledge of "nerdy" stuff, but I thought Firefox was relatively mainstream (and the first animal-named program I can think of other than MacOS X versions).

I recall the players the other day doing pretty well at the iOS/Android app category, though.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Oh wow, Neal Pollack is the current champ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJj2fGUgqkM

Unfortunately I can't find the punk rock version of this piece.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

To celebrate their 30 year anniversary, Jeopardy is apparently having a fan favorites tournament. Remember, it's important not just to vote Jennings, but to not vote for Rutter.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

jscolon2.0 posted:

To celebrate their 30 year anniversary, Jeopardy is apparently having a fan favorites tournament. Remember, it's important not just to vote Jennings, but to not vote for Rutter.

And yes, Lt. Frank Spangenberg still has his mustache.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
God how I wish somebody in the scene was into Jeopardy. Its the only show I can't buy or stream through some subscription service, and I miss it like hell. I need to plop some cash down for a decent antenna, I guess.

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up

Arms_Akimbo posted:

God how I wish somebody in the scene was into Jeopardy. Its the only show I can't buy or stream through some subscription service, and I miss it like hell. I need to plop some cash down for a decent antenna, I guess.

Build this bad boy! It works really, really well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWQhlmJTMzw

yourafagpleasedie
Jun 27, 2013

by zen death robot
loving act like its the 30th anniversary, people.

iS!
May 23, 2003
Almost An Ambigram

jscolon2.0 posted:

Jennings and Rutter are both automatically in. The voting is to fill one spot per decade, with five choices for each.

Vote for Ryan! He's a wonderful, funny, goony guy who was in the Tournament of Champions with me and lost way too early. Don't let the woman who said "What is a threesome" win!

You can vote on the website, on Facebook, and on Twitter by posting "Ryan #JeopardyVote" (or whichever player's name, but really you should vote for Ryan).

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

iS! posted:

Vote for Ryan!

quote:

Personal Message

Why would you be fools to have the Jeopardy! Decades Tournament without me? In a word: SEX. No former Jeopardy! Tournament of Champions contestant delivers the blow-the-doors-off-the-hinges, pound-for-pound raw sexuality that I do. (And please note that since I am quantifying my sexuality on a "per pound" basis, I have to work that much harder to deliver the sex amounts, since I am so fat.)

I endorse this message.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

iS! posted:

Jennings and Rutter are both automatically in. The voting is to fill one spot per decade, with five choices for each.

Vote for Ryan! He's a wonderful, funny, goony guy who was in the Tournament of Champions with me and lost way too early. Don't let the woman who said "What is a threesome" win!

You can vote on the website, on Facebook, and on Twitter by posting "Ryan #JeopardyVote" (or whichever player's name, but really you should vote for Ryan).

I realized that after the fact. My penance is voting for Ryan.

Glenn_Beckett
Sep 13, 2008

When I see a 9/11 victim family on television I'm just like 'Given the existence as uttered forth in the public works of Puncher and Wattmann of a personal God quaquaqua'
Mat. is actually the dumbest human on earth.

e: This september 11th famous phrase was said on september eleventh by september eleventh guy in what year?

Umm is it 1944 I'm a STUPID gently caress

Glenn_Beckett fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Oct 17, 2013

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Glenn_Beckett posted:

Mat. is actually the dumbest human on earth.

e: This september 11th famous phrase was said on september eleventh by september eleventh guy in what year?

Umm is it 1944 I'm a STUPID gently caress

Yeah that was atrocious, and then he just kept digging. I know Mat in real life, though not very well, so I was vaguely rooting for him. Oh well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

iS! posted:

To hell with Ryan im voting for angry eyebrows guy