Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

RabidWeasel posted:

The giant iguana / komodo dragon / whatever that's supposed to be has an alchemical symbol on its snout, anyone know what it stands for?

I couldn't find anything like it with some quick googling; it does look like a cartoon picture of a water molecule, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bad boyfriend worse lay
Feb 18, 2011

And when they went,
I heard the noise of their wings,
like the noise of great waters.

RabidWeasel posted:

The giant iguana / komodo dragon / whatever that's supposed to be has an alchemical symbol on its snout, anyone know what it stands for?
Looks like the symbol for aqua vitae.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
But if it's AV, it's upside-down. The direction makes it look like the symbol for magnet/lodestone, but that one doesn't have a central ring in the references I've seen. (Of course, there are always many variants of any given symbol because there was no ISO at the time to standardize practices.)

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Aug 28, 2013

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Interesting. Last chapter we got Renard backstory and character development. Now it's looking like this chapter is Ysengrin backstory and character development. It's almost like they're being set up for future direct conflict around Annie.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

The horned demon on the fourth panel and the celophane ghoul in the last are competing for the position of smuggest monster in fun city.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Faraday Cage posted:

Looks like the symbol for aqua vitae.

At first glance it's closer to sal alkali.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Male Man posted:

At first glance it's closer to sal alkali.

Useful site. For reference, lodestone and aqua vitae.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT
"Stand down, soldiers. Your eyes deceive you: This is no human, but a terrible fire-demon. Also, she has told me that she can beat any one of you sissies in single combat. Her words, not mine."

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Here's an idea: Hetty was a member of Ysengrin's "army" but left, only to somehow become trapped in the body of a doll and under the control of a little girl (and then Adam).

This is why Renard knows her, he knew her from the Forest. Also explains why she was so into "honor" and "getting power" and that kind of stuff.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

bartolimu posted:

Interesting. Last chapter we got Renard backstory and character development. Now it's looking like this chapter is Ysengrin backstory and character development. It's almost like they're being set up for future direct conflict around Annie.

It's pretty hot on the heels of Jones backstory and development, and a touch of Jimmy Jims development.

Doctor_Blueninja
Oct 23, 2012

Just some guy with a college doctorate and a passing knowledge of what it means to be a ninja.

Chronojam posted:

It's pretty hot on the heels of Jones backstory and development, and a touch of Jimmy Jims development.

I seemed to have missed the part in The Stone where Jones "developed" at all as a character. She seemed to always be the same to me! :v:

Doctor_Blueninja fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Aug 29, 2013

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Rasamune posted:

"Stand down, soldiers. Your eyes deceive you: This is no human, but a terrible fire-demon. Also, she has told me that she can beat any one of you sissies in single combat. Her words, not mine."
And then Annie whips out the Coyote Tooth and proceeds to kick everyone's rear end :black101:

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I present panel one as an example of a bad decision, with panels two and three as my supporting evidence.

Also wow these guys are jerks. Jerks who apparently don't pay attention, seeing as their questions were quite clearly just answered by panels one through three.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
Good job CQC Slamming that snake Ysengrin!

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

I love all these new monstrous designs every single one these pages are all amazing. Besides the giant bugs and snakes are any of them directly taken from any sort of mythology or are these all straight from Tom's head?

For real this is my favorite chapter just LOOK at everyone.

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

AE-35 Unit posted:

I wonder if ol' Ysengrin's gonna have to flex some muscle to jog these guys' memories as to why he's a general. Forest rules and all that.

Looks like I'm gonna get my wish! :neckbeard:

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I love the bedazzled look of the snake in pannel 2.
Just look at that. The eye looks perplexed, the tongue is all twisty. The hissing comes to an aprupt end. The fang is bent outwards. That looks really painfull by the way.
Mister Sidel developed a fine artstyle over the years.

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:
Oh man, Annie's gonna have to light some dudes on fire. :dance:

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
"No you fools, because I'm the only thing standing between you and an horrible fiery death".

Doctor_Blueninja
Oct 23, 2012

Just some guy with a college doctorate and a passing knowledge of what it means to be a ninja.
I think the most interesting bit about this page is the implication that these dudes don't care about Coyote's authority. For the most part, they aren't animals of any sort, so I kinda wonder where they fall within the whole hierarchy of the forest's denizens.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
At this point everyone should be remembering this page.

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret

Doctor_Blueninja posted:

I think the most interesting bit about this page is the implication that these dudes don't care about Coyote's authority. For the most part, they aren't animals of any sort, so I kinda wonder where they fall within the whole hierarchy of the forest's denizens.

There doesn't really seem to be a "hierarchy" of sorts. After "Leader(?)" Coyote and "General" Ysengrin there mostly just seems to be "everyone else".

Hierarchies and titles are a human thing. All that matters to most of the forest denizens is strength and power (or at least the perception thereof). More than likely, Ysengrin's army of forest "soldiers" are just a loose-knit group of creatures that chose to follow him because he was the most aggressive and powerful.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Air is lava! posted:

I love the bedazzled look of the snake in pannel 2.
Just look at that. The eye looks perplexed, the tongue is all twisty. The hissing comes to an aprupt end. The fang is bent outwards. That looks really painfull by the way.

Nah, snake's fine, from the slit pupil it's clearly a viper or a pitviper, and they have hinged fangs which bend all over the place in the course of normal behaviour (well, up and down anyway, if it's bent out to the side it might be a problem but the picture is ambiguous). Kudos to Tom for research, even though there are obvious fantasy elements in the scalation most people don't bother drawing the extended trachea or get the lower teeth correct

/herpchat

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Splicer posted:

Funny, it reminded me more of this one.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet
Doesn't look like they care much about Ysengrin's authority either. Went rogue or got dumped when Coyote took over?

Splicer posted:

That seems distinctly undiplomatic.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

Doesn't look like they care much about Ysengrin's authority either. Went rogue or got dumped when Coyote took over?

Fire is just a continuation of diplomacy by other means.

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

Forest negotiations are a bit different than human ones. Setting someone on fire is more like a stern look to them.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Diplomacy is taking what you want and, in exchange, allowing the survivors to go fetch clean pants.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.

Whitenoise Poster posted:

I love all these new monstrous designs every single one these pages are all amazing. Besides the giant bugs and snakes are any of them directly taken from any sort of mythology or are these all straight from Tom's head?

The leafy guy on the far right could conceivably be a green man.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

In all seriousness, this seems like Ysengrin setting Annie up to prove that she is strong. The obvious answer to their questions in the last panel is "because she demands it", followed by evidence of why they should listen.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Splicer posted:

There's also these two pages from chapter 32.

Ahaha I didn't notice before how goddamn dirty Annie's feet were after she came back from for forest. Tom has such great attention to detail.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
It's nice to see Ysengrin not being the butt of other people's schemes for once.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Reading the bonus page from From The Forest She Came, it occurred to me that there was, at some point, someone in the Court's administration who thought "hmm I wonder where we can put Year 9 students - and what will we do with these abandoned oil rigs? If only there were some way to solve BOTH these problems..."

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature
The best part? Ysengrin became general of these folks before he got his tree body, as hinted at by the headmaster during the mechanic bird incident.

He could kick all these monsters' asses as a lil' wolfie :3:

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Cyphoderus posted:

The best part? Ysengrin became general of these folks before he got his tree body, as hinted at by the headmaster during the mechanic bird incident.

He could kick all these monsters' asses as a lil' wolfie :3:

Not no mo' he can't :(

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

I'm predicting Monday we'll either see a reference to Annie being Surma's daughter, which they will all respect for some unknown reason, or we'll see a lot of barbecued monsters.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Freudian posted:

Reading the bonus page from From The Forest She Came, it occurred to me that there was, at some point, someone in the Court's administration who thought "hmm I wonder where we can put Year 9 students - and what will we do with these abandoned oil rigs? If only there were some way to solve BOTH these problems..."

Problem solved!

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

BobTheJanitor posted:

I'm predicting Monday we'll either see a reference to Annie being Surma's daughter, which they will all respect for some unknown reason, or we'll see a lot of barbecued monsters.

I hope it's the latter. Annie gots'ta be her own person and earn her own respect :colbert:

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

"No, because she demands it" would probably be one of the best things Ysengrin could say next. These folks don't seem like the types to respect anything but the rules of nature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Whitenoise Poster posted:

For real this is my favorite chapter just LOOK at everyone.
The thing on the left in the final panel looks like something out of Del Toro movie