Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Here is a video of a kestrel I think you guys will like :3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgRkWiw7qzk

Kestrels are the most :3: bird of prey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Hannah's lost his head!

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

That is certainly a rude parrot.

Amaya
Aug 5, 2006

Paws up!

Well I guess Marceline and Marshall can never be on the same cage together ever again sigh :( She always gives him a hard time but seemed like she was getting better about leaving him alone and just now she attacked him and bit his toe so hard it started bleeding. It's the same one he was lifting before so maybe she nipped him earlier and I didn't see it happen. The bleeding has stopped and he's not holding it up or anything bad but we have a vet appointment for thursday that I'm certainly going to now. Ughhh. They got along so good before :( I wonder what happened. I'm so stressed out over his poor toe. Birdssssssssssssssssss

Psycho_Puppy
Sep 15, 2004

Founder, Mutant Ninja Peek-a-Poo Death Squad.
I have to say that one of my favourite things about Nikki, my Grey, is the "Stupid Human" look I get when I try to explain something to her. With Zack, my Senegal, it is the fact that I can do most anything that involves having him in my hand or on my hand and he doesn't mind. From them both, it's the happy calls I get when I come in from work; just letting me know they are there and they missed me!

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb, Destroyer of Seeb.
Hey fellow bird folk, long time no talk. I spent most of this year very ill and posting dropped because of it. But the derpatiel and keets are all alive and well. BUT, I have a question.

I live in a tiny one bedroom poo poo apartment with a wall air unit. It's molded and awful so the apartment is going to clean and repaint the unit. What precautions do I need to take, other than "put birds in room without drying paint" should I follow for this? Everything I check on the internet is so manic it's like "PAINT YOUR PARROT THE WILL BE FINE!!!" or "SEND PARROT TO ANOTHER STATE BLINKING COULD KILL THEM LET ALONE PAINT!"

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Just keep in mind that they have very sensitive respiratory systems, so the fumes could be harmful in large, or small quantities. I'd say as long as their cage is near a breezy window or if the paint has a day or so to dry without the birds around you should be fine.

Also, hope you're doing better! Glad to see you back :)

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
If you're able to get them housed somewhere else for a few days it would probably be a really good idea.

I just don't think it's a good idea to take any chances.

Chicken in Black
May 22, 2005

So lovely
I tried to get a video of Goldy talking clearly, but today he wasn't having it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yW4nDI1DU6c

My husband and Goldy have to do this every morning, trying to get Goldy to say good morning, and Goldy normally saying good night, but sometimes he will blurt out good morning. Every night is Goldy demanding good night and making very loud kissing noises :3:

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Captain Log posted:

I live in a tiny one bedroom poo poo apartment with a wall air unit. It's molded and awful so the apartment is going to clean and repaint the unit. What precautions do I need to take, other than "put birds in room without drying paint" should I follow for this? Everything I check on the internet is so manic it's like "PAINT YOUR PARROT THE WILL BE FINE!!!" or "SEND PARROT TO ANOTHER STATE BLINKING COULD KILL THEM LET ALONE PAINT!"

It's going to depend on the paint. If they're only painting the unit and they're using a water-based paint, it shouldn't be much of an issue if you can keep them as far from the unit as possible while it's drying. On the other hand, whatever they use to get rid of the mold could be an issue. Try to find out what they're going to use for cleaning the unit (like the mold, it's probably not good for you or the birds) and what type of paint/solvents they'll be using (to be honest, I wouldn't use a water-based paint for that purpose) before the big day.

I use diluted cleaning products near the area where my sun lives, but if I'm using concentrated products (oven cleaner, undiluted bleach, cleaning all the windows in the room, etc) I put him in a room as far away as possible.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Thanks for all the words, folks.

I'm just wondering if them being in my room with the door closed (Or bathroom) for a day works or if they really need to get boarded. I moved to Kansas for a job so I don't have any family or friends to shack them up with.

My apartment layout it living room/bedroom with a door between.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Captain Log posted:

I'm just wondering if them being in my room with the door closed (Or bathroom) for a day works or if they really need to get boarded. I moved to Kansas for a job so I don't have any family or friends to shack them up with.

That's how ours is and we cook, clean etc. with Ritz in the bedroom. If anything, I'd say put a towel under the door, they should be fine.

Also for cleaning:
http://www.petstore.com/venus-labor...CFYl_QgodvGEA_A

Holy crap does it work.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Without friends or family to house the birds, I would seriously be looking for somebody who can babysit them, if its professional (requires payment), so be it. I would also leave them there for at least a week while the house is fixed up and aired out. You're right, though. Some birds can be on the sturdy side of "just paint them, they'll be fine", but I prefer to err on the side of "blink and they'll drop dead! D:". Because then you're certain it'll be fine.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I'd agree with Sekkira since I am a huge worrywart.

Also, Amadeus was sitting on my desk grooming. I looked at him and said "Hi, bird!" and he promptly hopped down and shoved himself against my arm. :3:

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Good god I want a GCC so bad.

Anyway, our too didn't mind it when we repainted the house, but we kept him on a separate floor and kept the house very well ventilated. And it was summer, so he spent all day outside for like two weeks. I'm going with everyone else in saying it's almost just better to board them for a bit. A week is maybe a bit excessive, I'd keep them out of the apartment for painting day and two days after.

e: We showered Teeka yesterday but I didn't get to hold him because he was drying in the evening sun and then it was bedtime. Today as soon as I finished my morning work I got him out, let him relax for like a minute, and then BURIED MY FACE IN CLEAN, NOT DUSTY OR OILY, AND PLEASANT SMELLING UMBRELLA COCKATOO. Aside from grooming 6" cuticles, after shower is the best part of that bird.

Eejit fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Aug 30, 2013

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Captain Log posted:

Just to double check. It's the air conditioning unit and not the whole room which is being cleaned and repainted, isn't it? I'm not sure how they're planning to properly clean and paint the unit without removing it from the wall, so it's possible that the stuff involving chemicals can be done away from your apartment. If it's just that single item being painted, your birds should be fine in another room for a day or two.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I've got a female parakeet who has laid about three eggs. What's a good way to get her to stop?

I've raised baby parakeets before, and it's not an easy path, I've seen birds go egg-bound and eventually die when I was younger, and sometimes adults will attack the babies. Once was enough for that, you come across one baby bird with a broken neck, assume it's dead, take it out, and it starts convulsing before dying right in your hands.

I'm also fairly sure that these aren't fertilized, as I've never seen this pair mate; the male is very passive and has never attempted to mount the female. Also, the female refuses to get near the nesting box I provided, and prefers to lay 'em wherever the food is.

It's just not going to end well. How do I get her to stop?

Official Bizness
Dec 4, 2007

wark wark wark

If she's interested in "brooding," let her sit on them until she loses interest. Don't remove the eggs until she gives zero fucks; she could lay more to replace the missing ones. Parakeets usually cap off around three to six eggs, which is taxing, but not impossible. Stick in some cuttlebone and offer millet to keep her calcium levels and energy up. If you're worried about the eggs possibly being fertilized, shake them violently. This will scramble the, uh. Thing. Inside of it.

words hard at 3:30am

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Official Bizness posted:

If she's interested in "brooding," let her sit on them until she loses interest. Don't remove the eggs until she gives zero fucks; she could lay more to replace the missing ones. Parakeets usually cap off around three to six eggs, which is taxing, but not impossible. Stick in some cuttlebone and offer millet to keep her calcium levels and energy up. If you're worried about the eggs possibly being fertilized, shake them violently. This will scramble the, uh. Thing. Inside of it.

words hard at 3:30am

Thanks. She's sort of lost interest in them, it's been about a week, but for a while there, it was the most important thing on the planet to her to squeeze into the tiny food box and move those eggs around. Adorable really, but worrying, all things considered. I've put a cuttlebone in, but she used it only once that I saw, so I got some pricy "conditioning" seed and started putting vitamin drops in the water every day. Hedging my bets, because today she had just laid her third egg, right in the new food container I'd placed on the cage bottom to replace the one she had taken over.

About half the female birds I've had, whether they lay eggs or not, just love to root around the food boxes. I remember one bird took a shine to the food box, so I glued bottle caps in the bottom so it'd still hold seed but be impossible to scratch around in and not be nearly as comfortable. It took her about a week to stop giving any fucks about those bottle caps and I finally gave up and let her take over the thing.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Aug 30, 2013

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Lolie posted:

Just to double check. It's the air conditioning unit and not the whole room which is being cleaned and repainted, isn't it? I'm not sure how they're planning to properly clean and paint the unit without removing it from the wall, so it's possible that the stuff involving chemicals can be done away from your apartment. If it's just that single item being painted, your birds should be fine in another room for a day or two.

It's just the piece of crap wall unit. A SLIGHT UPGRADE OVER A WINDOW UNIT! If you have ever lived in a dorm, think of one of those pieces of poo poo air conditioners. They are going to remove it, break it down for cleaning (outside or it would look like an engine exploded on my carpet), re-install it, and paint it to my knowledge. When I get the main guy who handles maintenance requests I'll ask for a detailed description of the process.

I try not to be a worrier and think it's too easy to move into a thought process of keeping your birds/other pets/belongings/yourself in a "threat" free bubble. Also, my neurotic cockatiel holds a grudge against me when I leave the room. When she has stayed with friends in the past it upset her eating and sleeping habits. Don't anger the potato, don't confuse the potato, just scritch the potato. Once I find out a more detailed process for what they are doing I'll make a decision. Probably after asking more opinions.

Sigh, I miss sharing a nice house in Nashville with my friends. gently caress life moving you around for jobs. And surgeries on your throat.

I really appreciate the input err'body!

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Ohtori looking good, getting petted.

E: Don't know what happened, the second picture stopped showing but was still on my Imgur account, with a different URL

Battle Pigeon fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Aug 31, 2013

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

One of my favorite things about Fred was how few fucks he gave, no matter how much I messed with him. When I lived with my fiancée at the time, she would get up and leave for the bathroom, and I would grab Fred, lay on the floor, put him on my chest and start yelling for help. She'd come tearing around the corner to see me laying there with Fred on my chest just glaring at me while I'm yelling "Somebody get this crazy bird off of me!"

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Oh we're posting conure photos?

He has started to spend a lot of time sitting on my hand and just preening.

He reallllly loves head scratchies. You can also see his stubby toe :( It doesn't look bad at least. He gets around fine despite it.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Battle Pigeon posted:

Ohtori always seems so smug to me

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Battle Pigeon posted:

He is soooo pretty

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

Ohtori always seems so smug to me

It's 'cause he knows he's just the most gorgeous drat thing.

zbeezy
Jan 3, 2007
it's officially official! Tonight I'm meeting with a 6 month old GCC. It's was bought hand weaned - I guess from a breeder? I'm not sure. The lady says the bird is six months old and she's rehoming her rabbit and her GCC, because her 5 year old son decided he'd like to give away his current pets to get a Great Dane. I'll keep my comments to myself about all that mess, but it's turning into the perfect deal for me.

I get the bird (she never told me its name) + cage + all bird trimmings for $100. She really, really wants this bird gone. As far as I know it's nothing tempermant wise with bird. She just wants to get the drat kid a great dane on Sunday. They'll be by at 5:30ish CST. I've prepared my front room where the bird will be. In a spot away from wires and drafts. No candles, no incense, dusted. Is there anything else I should do before they get here?

Also, are there any good ways to introduce myself to the GCC. Unfortunately, I don't have any walnuts. I do have dried veggie chips with no added flavor. Do GC's like that sorta thing? Tips on introducing him to my cat Dr. Zoidberg would also help. Zoid is a 13 year old, declawed (his previous owners did that), lazy lump of a cat with no real prey drive. He's been friends with rodents and other birds before.

Help me win this bird's love. Thanks PI.

This is the rascal in question:

zbeezy
Jan 3, 2007
He's mine now and we are adjusting to being friends pretty easily. He's sitting on my lap being cute.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Just give him space, let him do his thing, and try to get to know each other. It will take time for both of you to learn each others' body language. Make sure he has someplace he feels is safe to go to, and just hang out together. Honestly you'll probably end up with a velcro bird in no time.

Congratulations on your new buddy!

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

zbeezy posted:

He's mine now and we are adjusting to being friends pretty easily. He's sitting on my lap being cute.

Yay! I can't wait to see him on cam later

zbeezy
Jan 3, 2007

DarkHorse posted:

Just give him space, let him do his thing, and try to get to know each other. It will take time for both of you to learn each others' body language. Make sure he has someplace he feels is safe to go to, and just hang out together. Honestly you'll probably end up with a velcro bird in no time.

Congratulations on your new buddy!

we're enjoying a bagel and television right now. :parrot:

what can i do to curb cage agression?

zbeezy fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Aug 31, 2013

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010

zbeezy posted:

Be extremely careful with cats. The saliva is as deadly as a chomp to birds iirc. I wouldn't risk all too much interaction, and definitely supervised forever if you aren't gonna listen to that.

zbeezy
Jan 3, 2007

Wozbo posted:

Be extremely careful with cats. The saliva is as deadly as a chomp to birds iirc. I wouldn't risk all too much interaction, and definitely supervised forever if you aren't gonna listen to that.

did not know salvia was deadly. I will keep that in mind and try to keep the two apart. Cat shows no further intrest in bird and went back to sleep.

Kenshin posted:

Yay! I can't wait to see him on cam later

Dude, where are you???

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

It's 'cause he knows he's just the most gorgeous drat thing.

I've got to draw/paint him at some point, maybe just copy that first photo. I love all his colours and how his face looks fiery.

zbeezy posted:

This is the rascal in question:

Congratulations! Do we officially have more GCCs than cockatiels in the goon flock now?

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
It's possible but keep in mind that I have my stockpile of 4 tiels

Amaya
Aug 5, 2006

Paws up!

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

It's possible but keep in mind that I have my stockpile of 4 tiels

2 conures and a quaker, BRING IT, TIEL ARMADA. :colbert:

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

zbeezy posted:

Dude, where are you???
Now you know, and omg he is SOOOOO cute on cam. He's so active!

zbeezy
Jan 3, 2007

Kenshin posted:

Now you know, and omg he is SOOOOO cute on cam. He's so active!

my toes at the bottom of my cast are NOT in fact tasty sausages, Fry.
How do i stop him from gnawing on my cast. We've been sticking to stitting on my knee (I am alpha bird), but today he noticed my vienna sausage toes and the cast plaster. THIS is bad! Please help? I keep trying time out but he comes right back.

we've been having a lot of time out
Fry bites me and he goes to sit on his chill out pillow
i've got to rid myself of all my pretty shiny nail polish, because it's making him drawn to my nails.

he needs his nails trimmed and it's been a long time, since i trimmed nails. I need more of the stuff to stop accidental bleeding. What is that called?

goddamn he's got some energy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Congratulations, you have a conure. :)

Do you have a playstand or anywhere else to put him, anything else for him to do?

His nails in the first photo don't look long, can't see well enough in the second one. You could consider filing them if you're worried about causing bleeding. Someone else can give the proper name for what you're looking for but flour/cornstarch can also work.