Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Advent Horizon posted:

If the weapons pod basically just straps onto an existing hardpoint, why don't they put 2 of them on each wing?

Or, for that matter, why not just make a cheap 'stealth box' out of foam and absorbent coatings that falls off a sidewinder as it launches?

I'd really love to see what happens when they put this in a flyoff with an F-35, especially the special snowflake STOVL edition.

The answer to everything is probably weight. I think I'll die laughing if the F-35 loses out to the F-18 advanced and F-15SE or whatever though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

hobbesmaster posted:

The answer to everything is probably weight. I think I'll die laughing if the F-35 loses out to the F-18 advanced and F-15SE or whatever though.

I would love that.

I've got some Boeing stock.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Advent Horizon posted:

Or, for that matter, why not just make a cheap 'stealth box' out of foam and absorbent coatings that falls off a sidewinder as it launches?
This would be a nice, redeeming followup to the old "Sidewinder falls off F-18 as it traps" problem.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

RandomPauI posted:

Are there airplane equivalents to the Volkswagon Beetle or the Honda Civic?

Something like half the civilian airplanes in the country are Cessna 172s.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
This is horrible. Not sure how I missed it.

747 literally falls out of the sky due to a cargo shift: http://youtu.be/Hpv3h6bazXo

I'm assuming the video is from a military vehicle. The driver was entirely silent except for an exasperated "ah, gently caress." after approaching the wreckage.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
It's several months old and was posted in here, GiP, and GBS.

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012

RandomPauI posted:

Piper Tomahawk, Cessna 150 and 172.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Slo-Tek posted:

For the last month or so Boeing has been flying the Advanced Super Hornet out of St. Louis and Pax River.

http://www.boeing.com/boeing/Features/2013/08/bds_adv_super_hornet_08_28_13.page

What do y'all reckon about the Super Duper Hornet? This going to peck away at the edges on international F-35 orders? The USN likely to pick any up?

Are the conformational tanks and little baby strap-on weapons bay enough? Is a 50% reduction on RCS of a Superhornet enough to tick a 'stealthly' box on procurement for anybody?

I'm going to have to get some more pictures of that, just to see how completely they've altered the design. I've never been big into Boeing military aviation, but the F/A-18 as always interested me, from an aerodynamics perspective (most of my favorite aircraft were built by companies Boeing bought out, though :P).

The engine intakes look different, as does the 'transition' from wing to fuselage. That weapons pod looks like something out of some cyber-punk/near future sci-fi anime or Dues-Ex.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Slo-Tek posted:

What do y'all reckon about the Super Duper Hornet? This going to peck away at the edges on international F-35 orders? The USN likely to pick any up?
Boeing is certainly positioning itself to take up orders from governments bailing on the F35, as they should. I certainly hope Canada is one of them, although I lust for the Silent Eagle.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

RandomPauI posted:

The Piper Cub is the VW Beetle of the skies; just like its automotive namesake, ask any pilot of a certain age and they'll have a story about "this one time, in a Cub..." except there will (likely) be a whole lot less marijuana use in the comparable Cub story.

The Cessna 172 is more like the Toyota Corolla of the skies; solid and cheap to run but small and largely devoid of speed or character. As for other aircraft, the Beech King Air is pretty much the Ford F150 of the skies in that it can go anywhere (and is everywhere) and can do just about anything you ask of it...plus it handles like a truck too. The Beech Bonanza would be the Mercedes S-Class of piston singles (though its doctor-killing reputation would be more in line with the Porsche 930 Turbo), while your averae Piper single would be the Ford Focus of the skies (though the Tomahawk is more the Ford Festiva). Aerobatic aircraft are like your track day cars; Lotus Elises, Caterhams and the like. Business jets are the luxury cars of the aviation world; the Cessna Citation is like the BMW 3-Series in that it is cheap(ish), very capable and available in many different performance levels. The Citation Mustang is like the 316d (lol), while at the other end of the spectrum the Citation X is more like the M3 of business jets. Falcons and Gulfstreams are the Bentleys and Rolls-Royce of that class as well.

As for airliners, I tend to group them more by manufacturers than by models. Boeings are the Fords of the skies (the big, lumbering American giant known the world over for good but otherwise bland products) while Airbus is the Toyota of the sky (the upstart foreigner who nearly unseated the American giant with innovative products). McDonnell-Douglas would be the Chrysler of the aircraft builders; a company that was once a giant of the industry, only to have rotted from the inside out for decades, then met an ignomious end. Lockheed, in terms of airliners only, would be Rolls-Royce; they don't build many, but the airliners they build are/were unquestionably the best available and are all icons in their own right.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

Jealous Cow posted:

747 literally falls out of the sky due to a cargo shift: http://youtu.be/Hpv3h6bazXo

I'm assuming the video is from a military vehicle. The driver was entirely silent except for an exasperated "ah, gently caress." after approaching the wreckage.

Did you see the unreleased video of what really happened?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XpojLYBNyc

Made by a goon, too.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Thanks, now my nightmares will have Chrysler built airplanes in them. I guess more specifically Chrysler constant speed props...

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
The nerve to call Boeing bland. :mad:

PatrickBateman
Jul 26, 2007

MrChips posted:

The Piper Cub is the VW Beetle of the skies; just like its automotive namesake, ask any pilot of a certain age and they'll have a story about "this one time, in a Cub..." except there will (likely) be a whole lot less marijuana use in the comparable Cub story.

The Cessna 172 is more like the Toyota Corolla of the skies; solid and cheap to run but small and largely devoid of speed or character. As for other aircraft, the Beech King Air is pretty much the Ford F150 of the skies in that it can go anywhere (and is everywhere) and can do just about anything you ask of it...plus it handles like a truck too. The Beech Bonanza would be the Mercedes S-Class of piston singles (though its doctor-killing reputation would be more in line with the Porsche 930 Turbo), while your averae Piper single would be the Ford Focus of the skies (though the Tomahawk is more the Ford Festiva). Aerobatic aircraft are like your track day cars; Lotus Elises, Caterhams and the like. Business jets are the luxury cars of the aviation world; the Cessna Citation is like the BMW 3-Series in that it is cheap(ish), very capable and available in many different performance levels. The Citation Mustang is like the 316d (lol), while at the other end of the spectrum the Citation X is more like the M3 of business jets. Falcons and Gulfstreams are the Bentleys and Rolls-Royce of that class as well.

As for airliners, I tend to group them more by manufacturers than by models. Boeings are the Fords of the skies (the big, lumbering American giant known the world over for good but otherwise bland products) while Airbus is the Toyota of the sky (the upstart foreigner who nearly unseated the American giant with innovative products). McDonnell-Douglas would be the Chrysler of the aircraft builders; a company that was once a giant of the industry, only to have rotted from the inside out for decades, then met an ignomious end. Lockheed, in terms of airliners only, would be Rolls-Royce; they don't build many, but the airliners they build are/were unquestionably the best available and are all icons in their own right.

So..... which model is a Fiero? Wait, don't answer that.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

YF19pilot posted:

The engine intakes look different, as does the 'transition' from wing to fuselage.

The top of the wing root/fuselage joint looking different is probably down to the conformal fuel tanks that Boeing added. Export models of the F-16 have a similar setup, and they're pretty noticeable when they're fitted.

PatrickBateman posted:

I'd argue for the Piper Tomahawk being the Fiero of the air.

It was intended to be a more challenging trainer than the Cessna 152, mainly by using a design that was easier to spin and required deliberate control inputs to recover. Unfortunately, Piper cut some corners in between the design being certified and production starting, so the aircraft had an alarming ability to enter into unrecoverable spins in certain situations.

The problem was eventually resolved, but the reputation of the Tomahawk never really recovered (the Cessna 152 outsold it a bit more than 2:1), although the surviving aircraft do have a bit of a following.

azflyboy fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Aug 30, 2013

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Jealous Cow posted:

speaking of the Bagram crash... Im kinda curious to know what an armored vehicle looks like after its been ploughed into the ground like that. Generally aircraft turn into very small pieces because of how lightweight they're built, so Whats 20 odd tonnes of steel vehicle going to do?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

PatrickBateman posted:

I would say the Fiero of the skies would be the Grumman American singles, like the AA-5 Tiger. A neat looking airplane designed ostensibly to be a sporty aircraft, but by the time it made production it was repurposed to be an everyday runabout, only it kept a lot of the weird features from its initial purpose.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Advent Horizon posted:

If the weapons pod basically just straps onto an existing hardpoint, why don't they put 2 of them on each wing?

They probably will, assuming the weight isn't an issue (the centerline is stronger than outboard on the wing, obviously).

quote:

Because that wouldn't be cheap at all, and the materials are closely-guarded secrets. Making it out of radar-transparent material wouldn't help, because then you're still gonna see the weapons inside.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I always like the EA18G/Growler Ace Combat looking load out.

Godholio posted:

Because that wouldn't be cheap at all, and the materials are closely-guarded secrets. Making it out of radar-transparent material wouldn't help, because then you're still gonna see the weapons inside.

Also you really don't want to go dropping radar absorbent/reflective materials all over the place.

Plinkey fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Aug 30, 2013

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

YF19pilot posted:

The engine intakes look different, as does the 'transition' from wing to fuselage. That weapons pod looks like something out of some cyber-punk/near future sci-fi anime or Dues-Ex.

The intakes look the same as far as I can tell from a side angle. They look a bit more forward than they really are because the camera is slightly behind. The chine is different because of the conformal tanks above.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

MrChips posted:

As for airliners, I tend to group them more by manufacturers than by models. Boeings are the Fords of the skies (the big, lumbering American giant known the world over for good but otherwise bland products) while Airbus is the Toyota of the sky (the upstart foreigner who nearly unseated the American giant with innovative products).

Boeings are the Toyota's of the world in that they a built like brick poo poo-houses and will do whatever you want them to. If you ask more than you ought, they'll just look at you, say "...whatever..." and get the job done regardless.

Airbus are the Hyundai's as they're plastic utility planes that will last exactly until they aren't meant to, then they break irreparably. Unless you put so much as a toe even slightly over the line, then they break instantly. And they have the build quality, performance and character of a Hyundai.

Embraer are the Daewoo's (or maybe one of the chinese cars) as they are poo poo to own, utter poo poo to work with and poo poo to fly. They break all the god-damned time and are horrifically unreliable, but hey, they're cheap.

Captain Postal fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Aug 30, 2013

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Captain Postal posted:

Boeings are the Toyota's of the world in that they a built like brick poo poo-houses and will do whatever you want them to. If you ask more than you ought, they'll just look at you, say "...gently caress it" and get the job done regardless.

Airbus are the Hyundai's as they're plastic utility planes that will last exactly until they aren't meant to, then they break irreparably. Unless you put so much as a toe even slightly over the line, then they break instantly. And they have the build quality, performance and character of a Hyundai.

Embraer are the Daewoo's (or maybe one of the chinese cars) as they are poo poo to own, utter poo poo to work with and poo poo to fly. They break all the god-damned time and are horrifically unreliable, but hey, they're cheap.

Nah, I think he was spot on with Boeing/Ford. And if you ask more than you ought, they'll look at you, say "gently caress it" and go AOG for six days.
Airbus is more VAG/PSA group.

Embraer are more like Hyundai, and Bombardier, I dunno, Fiat? This analogy is getting stretched to its breaking point.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

slidebite posted:

Boeing is certainly positioning itself to take up orders from governments bailing on the F35, as they should. I certainly hope Canada is one of them, although I lust for the Silent Eagle.

It would be a good way for the government to claw back some reputability after the F35 debacle. They've got the infrastructure to run and maintain F18s, and the pilots are pretty poo poo hot with them.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

Linedance posted:

Nah, I think he was spot on with Boeing/Ford. And if you ask more than you ought, they'll look at you, say "gently caress it" and go AOG for six days.
Airbus is more VAG/PSA group.

Embraer are more like Hyundai, and Bombardier, I dunno, Fiat? This analogy is getting stretched to its breaking point.

737's are the hilux of the commercial world. They just keep on going.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Kill-9 posted:

It is. It still amazes me that something that big can even get off the ground. I love seeing them parked next to MD-80s at DFW. It's like the 80s are toys.
Everyone should get a chance to experience intercontinental First Class on an American, or any other airline's, flagship. I did DFW to Tokyo and back a couple years ago. I can see why the people that can afford it do it. It means arriving at your destination refreshed instead of exhausted. Now I dread my next trip across the world because I won't be able to afford sitting up there.

Switch your credit card to one that earns Avios. The Flyertalk forums have pretty good advice on how to rapidly accumulate miles, then you get to look forward to flying instead of dreading it.

KingPave
Jul 18, 2007
eeee!~

Mobius1B7R posted:

Absolutely incredible air to air from a Lear of many different types of planes. Love when the F-15s go burner and pull away.

http://vimeo.com/70994185

I utterly love this clip - I think I watched it about 15 times today.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

MrChips posted:

What's that make the Concorde? A Ferrari?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

rscott posted:

What's that make the Concorde? A Ferrari?

Concorde is the McLaren F1- instantly recognized, but no one really wants to replicate it again either.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

StandardVC10 posted:

Concorde is the McLaren F1- instantly recognized, but no one really wants to replicate it again either.

Then what was the Tu-144? :v:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Phy posted:

I don't see the Navy buying these new Hornets, but maybe. The AF and Marines certainly won't.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

Captain Postal posted:

Boeings are the Toyota's of the world in that they a built like brick poo poo-houses and will do whatever you want them to. If you ask more than you ought, they'll just look at you, say "...whatever..." and get the job done regardless.

A friend of mine works for one of the biggest aircraft MRO companies and works on Boeings exclusively, and according to him, Boeings are indeed built like brick shithouses when compared to Airbuses.
On the other hand, in an example he gave me, if you have to replace a door on an Airbus, you apparently order the replacement door, throw the old one out and mount the new one, job done. On a Boeing, nothing will fit perfectly, so they'll have to make it work. According to him, using a hammer (among other things). I was slightly concerned.

Phy posted:

A Lamborghini Countach. Looks super cool, but at no point in its existence will all systems work perfectly at the same time. Both also have very questionable handling characteristics.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES

Phy posted:

This

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Or maybe a Delorean.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
There is a lot of speed tape utilized on the USAF E-3's.

The first time I had a crew chief ask if I was cool with them taping over a hole, I was like, "are you loving with me? If not, yea that's fine."

Shavnir
Apr 5, 2005

A MAN'S DREAM CAN NEVER DIE
So does that make Cirrus a Lexus?

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

hobbesmaster posted:

This is still a possibility with South Korea's FX-III competition (specifically with the F-15SE).

Fake edit: That actually just happened last week..."F-35 and Eurofighter eliminated from FX-III competition." They priced themselves out of the competition, also didn't hurt that the ROKAF already has a fleet of F-15Ks that aren't too far removed from the -SE. Both LockMart and EADS are basically saying "nuh-uh, we're not out, the competition wasn't fair, we're in talks with the ROK government right now and we look forward to presenting how awesome [our jet] is, etc," so we'll see if the eliminations and de facto F-15SE selection actually stick, but like I said the F-15SE makes a lot of sense, especially since Boeing has a leg up on the others as far as tech transfer is concerned given their rather broad relationship with KAI and the fact that they already signed an agreement with KAI three years ago to jointly develop the conformal bay on the -SE.

As far as the Stealth Hornet, even if NAVAIR wants some (which is a maybe at best) there is no way in hell the Navy buys any with how political the F-35 program is. Every Stealth Hornet bought is one less F-35 bought, and that increases the unit price just that little bit more for everyone. International customers are already bailing, there's no way in hell the Pentagon is going to let a service bail on their commitment, regardless of what the service wants to do.

holocaust bloopers posted:

There is a lot of speed tape utilized on the USAF E-3's.

The first time I had a crew chief ask if I was cool with them taping over a hole, I was like, "are you loving with me? If not, yea that's fine."

poo poo, we don't even ask, we just do it as a normal practice.

Of course ours have a considerably..."less demanding" flight environment than pretty much anything turbofan powered.

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012

Shavnir posted:

So does that make Cirrus a Lexus?

Yeah, basically. Pretty innocuous.

The Bonanza is the EVO or SRT-4. It's everyone's first "fast" plane, and tons of them end up scattered around airport perimeters as idiots stall going base to final.

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012
Miata = Citabria
S2000 = Extra

Quantrill
Nov 18, 2005

Should I take a ride in a DC-3 this weekend?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Why not?