Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
As a biology major one is a squid and one is an octopus.

For shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Also the squid has three eyes, not one

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Linedance posted:

:siren:either a bike themed business, or local biker hangout, be it bar, restaurant, cafe, whatever.:siren:

I rode right past "TWO WHEEL CAFE BIKERS WELCOME" yesterday. It was raining so hard it was down to about 100' visibility and I missed it.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

oh, damnit, I was just up Mount Glorious at the biker cafe place and completely forgot to get a picture of my bike. (On an amusing note, it was like walking into an Alpinestars commercial up there).

Did get this picture though;

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

I'm not good at framing photos. And apparently they're closed because of a family death. Hopefully not bike related. To the far left is a small gear shop catering to Korean Harley riders. I'll get a pic inside next time.

Next challenge : Your bike next to a statue of a general or military dude. Horseback optional!

nullscan fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Aug 27, 2013

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

nullscan posted:

I'm not good at framing photos. And apparently they're closed because of a family death. Hopefully not bike related. To the far left is a small gear shop catering to Korean Harley riders. I'll get a pic inside next time.

Next challenge : Your bike next to a statue of a general or military dude. Horseback optional!

That's interesting, so hyosung aren't called that in Korea?

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

The scooters are, the 250 and my 650 are branded S&T. I'm not entirely sure why there's a difference. I do get a lot of confusion from both Koreans (why is whitey riding a Korean bike) and Whiteys (What the hell is an S&T).

At least all the parts are cheap and easy to get while I'm here.

\/\/\/ I can only compare it against my old 89 GSXR 750 but I like it, nimble, plenty of power. Done a few long rides up to Seoul and around the country with no complaints. I'm happy with it so far!

nullscan fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Aug 27, 2013

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Is that the SV650 copy? How do you like it?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Is that the SV650 copy? How do you like it?

Having ridden both, it isn't remotely an sv650 copy. Not even the engine is the same, there was no visible parts compatibility. The suspension is vastly superior and the handling much better. The engine has more power and feels slightly peakier than the SV and the brakes are slightly better. Better instruments too.

I don't know why people rag on hyosungs, the 250's suck but the more recent 650's are great.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
The carbs from a gen 1 SV fits the older carbed GT650 without modification and vice versa, and the front sprocket is the same between them, and thats the only engine/drivetrain commonality. Otherwise there are multiple easy ways to spot differences. Oil filter on the GT is an internal cartridge while the SV has a spin on (and in a different position too). Water pump is is a different position as well.

Around 2004-05 the GT650 had a lot of problems with valves breaking as well. But if we disregard quality and finish, my experience is that the Hyosung has better brakes and suspension than my gen 2 SV.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
Right, this one? I loving got this one.

Bam.

My girlfriend doing her best impression of B Gen Hamilton A Gault, the founder of the Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry.
It's an infantry regiment in the Canadian Armed Forces that I serve with. This guy's a character - a wealthy Montreal businessman who decides at the outbreak of the First World War that the Dominion of Canada should be doing all it can to help, so he promises the gov't a whack of cash to stand up probably the last privately raised infantry unit in the commonwealth. Oh, then he goes over as part of the unit to take part in the great war, getting shot a bunch of times, eventually prompting one of his subordinates (this being a war of attrition, he was the Commanding Officer by this point) after he's been critically wounded and lying on a stretcher, to just put his pistol in his hand so that he could face the bastard hun when they came over the wall. :black101:
http://ppcli.com/

The statue stands in what used to be the former army base in Griesbach, just in the northern part of Edmonton, Canada. It's mostly been turned into fashionably expensive housing, but the statue and park around it have been refurbed because it's coming on the 100th anniversary of the birth of the regiment.

Next challenge! :siren: Your bike doing a burnout, or something equally irresponsible. :siren: Bonus points if you have some old dude shake his fist at you.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!

Simkin posted:

Next challenge! :siren: Your bike doing a burnout, or something equally irresponsible. :siren: Bonus points if you have some old dude shake his fist at you.

Impossible on my ninjette :(

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Nonsense! It's just a matter of finding a suitably slippery surface.

Or you could do a wheelie. I'm pretty sure you can wheelie a Ninjette with a bit of clutch.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Not true. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxJt8sI8IBs

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Proved me wrong AND made your kid cry, definitely irresponsible - whats the next challenge :(

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Voltage posted:

Proved me wrong AND made your kid cry, definitely irresponsible - whats the next challenge :(

That's an old video, not him

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Observe 18 seconds of me stalling my bike.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZShnI87t0NI
Burnouts are hard when you have to do them and video them.

Next up:

:siren:Show me a place where you crashed.:siren:
If you haven't crashed, show me a road you're scared of for some reason.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Loose definition of burnout, and this coming from the guy who got 3" of air...

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

nsaP posted:

Loose definition of burnout, and this coming from the guy who got 3" of air...

That's the best burnout video I've ever seen. Most are like yay a burnout, OK I'm sick of it. That got me to laugh.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Sounded like a steam engine giving out :lol:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Safety Dance posted:

Next up:

It should have looked something like this:

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
Well, it is from safety dance, so maybe that's as irresponsible as his sensitivities allow him to be. :smith:

Did you disconnect your kickstand safety switch? It should have immediately died if you tried moving with it down, no?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Simkin posted:

Well, it is from safety dance, so maybe that's as irresponsible as his sensitivities allow him to be. :smith:

Did you disconnect your kickstand safety switch? It should have immediately died if you tried moving with it down, no?

I'm pretty bad at hooliganing, it's true.

Either the kickstand switch came disabled, or the bike wasn't built with one. In fact, none of my bikes have ever had working kickstand or clutch switches.

chia
Dec 23, 2005

Safety Dance posted:

Next up:

:lol: pro-click, this is the best burnout I've seen.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

Got my license today, so I went for a ride to get used to the bike.

I learned that thumpers are loud! First stop was a pharmacy to pick up some earplugs and try slow the progression of tinnitus.

Next up, what do you do when you first get your license and your own vehicle? Take it to the track.

(Side not, probably the slowest lap I've ever done. Going down the esses was terrifying even at 40km/h.)

Safety Dance posted:

As for the actual challenge, I haven't crashed on a powered bike yet. This corner was on the way to/from uni when I used to live in the area, and I would ride my bicycle to uni most days. This corner was always my favourite because it has a very steep camber on the inner section, so I'd always cut the corner when I could see the road was clear. One day I was riding home in the middle of winter while it was belting down sleet and I came through the corner at full lean on tiny little bicycle tires, when I hit an ice patch and lost it. No injuries or scars from that one but I learnt to be careful during the wet.

Assuming that counts, how about :

:siren:Take us on a photo tour of your local town/suburb.:siren:
Show us the notable areas and attractions and tell us why it's worth checking out. If you have nothing notable or interesting around, make something up. Try to point out at least three locations.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

poo poo, that is awesome you can take it to Mount Panorama. I knew Philip Island was open to the public, but not Bathurst.

Nice bike, I used to have the '07 model. Heads up, although you've probably already realised this, don't actually keep tools in the pouch on the back. People nick them.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Pretty sure all of the Bathurst race track is a normal street when it's not being used for racing?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Shimrod posted:

Pretty sure all of the Bathurst race track is a normal street when it's not being used for racing?

Pretty sure you're thinking of Monaco...

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Slavvy posted:

Pretty sure you're thinking of Monaco...

Is this some kind of unfunny joke?

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

freebooter posted:

poo poo, that is awesome you can take it to Mount Panorama. I knew Philip Island was open to the public, but not Bathurst.

Nice bike, I used to have the '07 model. Heads up, although you've probably already realised this, don't actually keep tools in the pouch on the back. People nick them.

Yeah, Mount Panorama is a public road that's kept open throughout the year as it's the main access for the residents. They only open the tunnel and back road when they're using the track for an event. 60km/h speed limit the entire way around and the local cops like to sit at the bottom of conrod straight in the driveways so it's pretty dangerous to speed (on that section at least).

And I need to replace the pouch as it has a cut through the top anyway, it's pretty much useless. Just trying to find a tool tube or get the motivation to buy some PVC from Bunnings.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ephphatha posted:

:siren:Take us on a photo tour of your local town/suburb.:siren:
Show us the notable areas and attractions and tell us why it's worth checking out. If you have nothing notable or interesting around, make something up. Try to point out at least three locations.

IF I can get my clutch cable installed, and IF I can get out tomorrow, I can maybe get this one!!

Its definitely a kinda.

Slush Garbo
Nov 20, 2007

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK

the philosophers stone, Plaza Midwood

they have a nice patio.

Visart Video, last real video store in Charlotte

They have stuff Netflix don't. Today I got Attack of the Killer Tomatoes.
You have to look both ways crossing aisles because Twiggy hauls rear end on her roller skates while restocking.

Common Market, also in plaza midwood

It's like a funky convenience store where you can buy beer and wine and drink it there too. They also have sandwiches, and stay open late and have punk rock.

Beer.

Wine.

:siren: your bike with a hydroelectric dam in the shot :siren:

VVV ahaha sorry OP! I was out workin' on mine when you posted about yours...

Slush Garbo fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Sep 10, 2013

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ffffffffffffffffff

Might still do mine anyway.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Hugh Malone posted:

:siren: your bike with a hydroelectric dam in the shot :siren:

Sweet, I got this one. Not too far out of the way coming home from work actually. Not too many places to get a good look at this thing, I had to drive onto the sidewalk to get any kind of shot though. The whole time hoping no police would come by and wonder what the hell I'm doing up on the sidewalk. My story would've been that I stalled and needed to pull it up out of traffic... and was taking a picture for uh, who knows what.

Elkhart Hydroelectric Dam built in 1912.

:siren: a bar with a clever or ridiculous name, with your bike in front of it of course :siren:

SB35 fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Sep 11, 2013

tbb9
Sep 6, 2011

God I love fzrs so much, or maybe I just love 90s graphics and twin circle headlights.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

tbb9 posted:

God I love fzrs so much, or maybe I just love 90s graphics and twin circle headlights.

Yeah, most of 'em have pretty :krad: 90s paint jobs

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Thats a really clean (and therefore rare) FZR. Very nice. I like the probably OEM No Fear sticker as well.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Thats a really clean (and therefore rare) FZR. Very nice. I like the probably OEM No Fear sticker as well.

It has it's little nicks and small broken stuff, but what can you expect for a 20 year old bike? PO put on the No Fear stickers, and I left 'em on because HOLY 90S BATMAN! and you can still see the outline due to fading, so eh

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Finally replaced the starter relay on my bike, I'm tempted to go all the way to Tacoma to get a sandwich and picture at ElevenEleven at 1111 11th Ave. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
A day later than I hoped, but here it is.

ElevenEleven, on 1111 11th Ave. Just off of MLK Way, yes, but their sandwiches are the best and worth the detour if you're in Tacoma for any reason. It's the first silly name I could think of, I don't know if there's any Tricky Dick's or Bearded Clams around here.

:siren:Go exploring!:siren:
Go somewhere vehicles wouldn't usually go. Ride inside of an abandoned hospital, park on the flat section of a long set of stairs, or just go a ways down a footpath.

• Locked thread