Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

I ain't no Brown Moses, but the T-72 there has what looks like a bunch of bricks on the turret, but not enough on the body to be at T-72B.

Syria is listed as having bought 1600 of the base model, and probably bought reactive armor upgrade kits from whomever was willing to sell.

Regardless, they were monkey models. The Russians didn't give out bleeding edge stuff, even to their closest allies.

EDIT: Hurrr. Should have just checked wikipedia. It lits the Syrian army using the T72-M1M. Which is an upgraded export model. Still a deathtrap.

MRC48B fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Aug 28, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
There are plenty of videos of Syrian tanks with RPGs bouncing off the armor, turning and ace-ing the rebels with the main gun. Not to say that either side isn't making constant tactical errors, but basically urban warfare looks like it sucks total balls for everyone.

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?

monkeytennis posted:

loving gnarly. Dude with no feet had no loving chance at all. Must have been hurting like a bitch though. For a while anyway...

Edit: what did they hit it with? Looked fiery, like a molotov, but that wouldn't take out a tank would it?

From the looks of it the right hand side rear sprocket seems hosed which could suggest a previous hit of some sort, The first strike isn't a Molotov but rather an RPG as there is no flash then instant fire that usually come with them and also where the fire starts you can see fuel has already leaked out of the wagon. On another note as a Challenger 2 gunner, tanks brewing up always gimme the creeps But they are poo poo export models and they don't even have the side skirts.

MonkeyLibFront fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Aug 28, 2013

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
One of the YT comments (yeah I know) reckons it's a staged job with prisoners made to sit in a previously wrecked tank while it's attacked and filmed. Any thoughts on that?

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?
The tank was already hosed before the that clip was recorded no question about that. Dunno about t72's but when you release the grips in a CR2 on STAB mode the barrel will raise which suggests if its the same with these then that adds credence to it already being hosed.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
They staged a man getting his foot blown off?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I read another Youtube comment saying it was a false flag staged by Chechens, any thoughts on that?

Also, thoughts on twerking?

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
Well I don't like twerking and I wish I didn't know what it is, that's my thoughts on that :v:

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

MonkeyLibFront posted:

From the looks of it the right hand side rear sprocket seems hosed which could suggest a previous hit of some sort, The first strike isn't a Molotov but rather an RPG as there is no flash then instant fire that usually come with them and also where the fire starts you can see fuel has already leaked out of the wagon. On another note as a Challenger 2 gunner, tanks brewing up always gimme the creeps But they are poo poo export models and they don't even have the side skirts.

As long as ex-Soviet/Russian tanks are dependent on carousel autoloaders they're always going to brew up like that.

Also, while that particular T-72 might have always lacked sideskirts, the ones that did come with them as ordered/were upgraded with them tend to lose them pretty quickly since they're just rubber flaps with a bunch of ERA bricks bolted on top. In an urban environment either get snagged or rattled off after some use. The T-64/80 series has got a 'normal' setup where the sideskirts are either supported by a steel frame or are part of the chassis itself - I can't recall which of the two it was though.

More evidence of the T-72 line always being intended as more of a second rate model I'd say.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Fallom posted:

I read another Youtube comment saying it was a false flag staged by Chechens, any thoughts on that?

Also, thoughts on twerking?
How do you random YouTube commenters know these things? Also I prefer the term bootie pop. "Twerk" sounds like an iPhone app.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xcwd_Nz6Zog

Axegrinder
Jul 26, 2004
Sometimes sarcasm can help us think more clearly.

Smoke Crack posted:

Broke out a couple from the personal stash, really wish I took more pictures. Took 'em in Wardak if anyone is curious.

Please excuse an ignorant civilian question, but why does nothing grow on those hills?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Axegrinder posted:

Please excuse an ignorant civilian question, but why does nothing grow on those hills?
Steep slope, poor soil.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

MRC48B posted:

They are also Russian export model tanks. Which makes them twice the deathtrap.

I thought the myth of the 'monkey model' export versions is largely exaggerated.

Koesj?

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

T-72's have really lovely autoloaders that like the cook off the ammo and kill everyone inside iirc.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Veins McGee posted:

I thought the myth of the 'monkey model' export versions is largely exaggerated.

Koesj?

The MiG-21FL's sold to Egypt were armed with a pair of R-3 AAM's...and that was all. No guns, just a pair of lovely Sidewinder copies that rarely worked as advertised. There were a couple other examples I can't recall offhand, all middle eastern, of the various MiG types being much less capable than their Russian counterparts.

VVV I figured if it applied to aircraft it'd be stupid of them not to apply the same logic to armor. Especially as paranoid as the USSR was.

Plastic_Gargoyle fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Aug 29, 2013

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

The MiG-21FL's sold to Egypt were armed with a pair of R-3 AAM's...and that was all. No guns, just a pair of lovely Sidewinder copies that rarely worked as advertised.

tank wise...

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
I recall reading that the T-72 autoloaders store the rounds in a ring under the floor of the turret so if you hit the turret ring they all detonate.

Nog
May 15, 2006

Axegrinder posted:

poo poo grows on them, but it's all thorny scrub brush. The soil is like 90% rock, gets hardly any rain, is at a high altitude, and local goats eat the rest. Most of the plants in Afghanistan are botanical miracles; they don't seem to have any leaves or means of conducting photosynthesis, they just grow thorns and live on hate.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Bolow posted:

T-72's have really lovely autoloaders that like the cook off the ammo and kill everyone inside iirc.

Mortabis posted:

I recall reading that the T-72 autoloaders store the rounds in a ring under the floor of the turret so if you hit the turret ring they all detonate.

The problem is not the autoloader per se, the Leclerc, K2, and Type 10 all have autoloaders but are more survivable because their ammo is stored in separate compartments with armored bulkheads and blowout panels to protect the crew from ammo cooking off after a hit (as in the M1, Leopard 2, Challies, etc.) The 'problem' (if you will) with Soviet designs from the T-64 onward is that they indeed store their ammo on the bottom of the turret in a rotating carousel. This is a robust system and provides for decent reload speed, while the armor on the forward chassis of the tank (aka the glacis) should provide enough frontal protection bar hits which would have taken out the tank anyway.

Like so:

It's a big trade-off, although no worse than contemporary ones made in the West. Remember, design work for the T-64 started in the early sixties, so its analogues were the M60, Leopard I, and Chieftain. Ultimately, if you expect to be on the advance 90% of the time, while having numbers on your side, it might not be that bad of a choice. Overall, the Soviets got a shitload of capabilities out of their approach, with for example relatively great protection on their smallish turrets:

Veins McGee posted:

Yeah this is a can of worms since every armchair Zhukov out there will loudly claim that Iraqi tanks was a fourth rate cast-offs. Supposedly they didn't have the ceramic inserts which would have significantly upped turret protection for example (darker areas in the above pic). All in all it's a bit disingenuous since those T-72M/M1s were good enough to be delivered to Warsaw Pact allies back in the day, and they were supposed to carry their weight if push had come to shove.

I can't recall whether or not fire control systems were degraded in the export version as well, and I gather the initial munitions were probably poo poo too. Then again, one excellent source on the export T-72 doesn't mention it being a significantly lesser tank (this guy is an ex-NVA armor officer who did a short stint in a BW Leopard 1A5 unit after reunification so he should know what he's talking about).

Since those Syrian tanks got upgraded in all kinds of different ways it's probably a moot point anyway. The one that's shown in the vid has at least the M1M protection package, what with all the ERA bricks attached, and a large number of SAA T-72s got upgraded with thermal sights and better commo gear.

Koesj fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Aug 29, 2013

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Veins McGee posted:

Koesj?

It's accurate in many of their aircraft.

Edit: I'll leave tank chat to people who know more about tanks than "oh that one looks cool."

mokhtar belmokhtar
May 8, 2013

by T. Finninho

makes you think, folks

ghost bones
Apr 27, 2013

everyone is fabulous always
:eyepop:

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

I can't imagine how lovely it must have been to be wearing a flak, kevlar, SAPIs, *and* a loving Mario costume in Afghanistan.

NIGGER DEATH TURBO
Jul 4, 2013

by Lowtax

mokhtar belmokhtar posted:

makes you think, folks

made me think

Smoke Crack
Apr 6, 2009

Oh, sure, sure. I know you. You're gonna keep on saying I'm suave and sophisticated, and then when I start to believe it, then you're gonna say how pointy head I have, and how floppy arms I have, and how dull I am, I know you.

Admiral Bosch posted:

I can't imagine how lovely it must have been to be wearing a flak, kevlar, SAPIs, *and* a loving Mario costume in Afghanistan.

Dude had a plate carrier, so it sucked a little less but yeah, he was wearing all that poo poo.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)
Well, here is a particularly brave fellow: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoFRXks2X68&t=75s

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
For every 30 allahu ackbars get 2 free!

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I am shocked that he could run so fast with those giant balls.

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

Let's say I want to go AWOL and join the fight in Syria, how should I get started?

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Caro parachute account spotted

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Step 1: Fly to Jordan
Step 2: Walk north

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Scratch Monkey posted:

Caro parachute account spotted

This would own so loving much.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?
Caro is the true hero with a thousand faces for our time - like the king under the mountain he will return when he hears the drums of battle, not to lead his own people but to mess about in some third world shithole.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Vindolanda posted:

Caro is the true hero with a thousand faces for our time - like the king under the mountain he will return when he hears the drums of battle, not to lead his own people but to mess about in some third world shithole.
He's dead, though, right? I'm pretty sure I heard that he died. Or was homeless. Mixed reports.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Something like that.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

It's like trying to up the loving stairs with Logan.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
We absolutely should start doing all our rifles in goofy-rear end tigerstripe.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
I want some drat multicam :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

If you want the best gear you have to play airsoft.

• Locked thread