Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Take care of my animals while I'm gone
I was a little annoyed at that "I did this for you Sue" line... UP UNTIL THAT ENDING OF COURSE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I loving love what the Ultimate Universe is doing the Fantastic Four. That last page was loving awesome.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

coconono posted:

I didn't put it together until the reveal.

I put it together right at the force-field knife. Kinda disappointed though, because that whole takedown scene with Reed was pretty fuckin' sweet, really. Then to just have it undercut was a bummer.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I loving love what the Ultimate Universe is doing the Fantastic Four. That last page was loving awesome.

Can somebody tell me how Johnny got all brain-dead? Last I saw he was at Aunt May's Home For Gifted Youngsters until Peter died.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

TwoPair posted:

I put it together right at the force-field knife. Kinda disappointed though, because that whole takedown scene with Reed was pretty fuckin' sweet, really. Then to just have it undercut was a bummer.

Can somebody tell me how Johnny got all brain-dead? Last I saw he was at Aunt May's Home For Gifted Youngsters until Peter died.

He went and helped out the mutants in a time when that was a very unpopular thing to be doing. The government raided the group he was helping out and that's the last we heard of him. It was implied he was dead, but apparently he just got brain damaged.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

TheJoker138 posted:

He went and helped out the mutants in a time when that was a very unpopular thing to be doing. The government raided the group he was helping out and that's the last we heard of him. It was implied he was dead, but apparently he just got brain damaged.

No they said they found him but he was beaten pretty bad. It was just one panal in Ultimates Divided We Fall. I just finished that and I am not sure if it was the order they stuck the trade in, but the whole thing really does not make sense.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

The stuff with Johnny was reminding me a lot of The Venture Bros.

For those who haven't watched the show, the Johnny Storm analogue on the show ignites whenever he's touching oxygen and actually feels the pain of being on fire. The evil Reed Richards character on the show uses him to power their version of the Baxter building.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I jumped in to Ultimates this week just for the hell of it and enjoyed it. Looks like I'll go get the other issues and check them out too.

Can someone post that panel where Johnny is found in Divided We Fall? I honestly don't remember that scene at all.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

notthegoatseguy posted:

I jumped in to Ultimates this week just for the hell of it and enjoyed it. Looks like I'll go get the other issues and check them out too.

Can someone post that panel where Johnny is found in Divided We Fall? I honestly don't remember that scene at all.

I think its in Ultimate Comics - X-men 19

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
It's a shame the first arc sucked, because Johnny hanging around with Kitty and co. was pretty sweet.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Ultimate Spider-Man: still gold. Is this the first appearance of Ultimate Taskmaster?

thet0wer
Dec 4, 2012

Squidster posted:

Ultimate Spider-Man: still gold. Is this the first appearance of Ultimate Taskmaster?

Yes

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

Is the Nathaniel Essex in Spider-Man a different character than the Sinister that was in Kirkman's UXM or are they just ignoring that characterization?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Dacap posted:

Is the Nathaniel Essex in Spider-Man a different character than the Sinister that was in Kirkman's UXM or are they just ignoring that characterization?

Different guy.

thet0wer
Dec 4, 2012

Dacap posted:

Same person. Unknown how he came back from the dead.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

TheJoker138 posted:

Different guy.

thet0wer posted:

Same person.

Well that settles it.

I do remember him showing up in an issue of Spencer's UXM talking to a dummy dressed like Apocalypse, but I understand if that's being ignored because he wasted an entire year of comics without moving the plot forward.

Dacap fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Aug 30, 2013

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.

Dacap posted:

Well that settles it.

I do remember him showing up in an issue of Spencer's UXM talking to a dummy dressed like Apocalypse, but I understand if that's being ignored because he wasted an entire year of comics without moving the plot forward.

Bendis gives no fucks about your non-Spider-Man, Ultimate continuity.

thet0wer
Dec 4, 2012

Kaleidoscope posted:

Bendis gives no fucks about your non-Spider-Man, Ultimate continuity.

Or his own. He switched Lori and Lana AGAIN in this issue.

Can't even remember what his loving characters are called.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Dacap posted:

Well that settles it.

It's a different dude. Sinister from X-Men turned into Apocalypse and died. This Nathaniel Essex has never called himself Sinister and doesn't have any tats. He also acts totally different (he's not a weird street punk and he doesn't stutter).

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

TheJoker138 posted:

It's a different dude. Sinister from X-Men turned into Apocalypse and died. This Nathaniel Essex has never called himself Sinister and doesn't have any tats. He also acts totally different (he's not a weird street punk and he doesn't stutter).

He was alive again in Spencer's X-men and looks more clean cut and somewhat in line with the one in USM now. I don't think we've seen him not wearing a suit/lab coat so there's no way to tell that he doesn't have the tats.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

thet0wer posted:

Or his own. He switched Lori and Lana AGAIN in this issue.

Can't even remember what his loving characters are called.

Could that just be an art error?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

There's no way that Nathaniel Essex is a common enough name that they would use it for two different, unrelated characters.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Opopanax posted:

There's no way that Nathaniel Essex is a common enough name that they would use it for two different, unrelated characters.

This is like the third version of him. The first was the crazy serial killer who pushed Xavier down the stairs. The second in Kirkman's run and is sanish as there is an Apocalypse. This is a third and with Bendis you never know as he likes loving with people with character's names.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

bobkatt013 posted:

This is like the third version of him. The first was the crazy serial killer who pushed Xavier down the stairs. The second in Kirkman's run and is sanish as there is an Apocalypse. This is a third and with Bendis you never know as he likes loving with people with character's names.

I guess I mean unrelated more than that different there. If he's not the same one surely he either has something to do with Sinister or at the very least Bendis wants us to think he does

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Guys Bendis just didn't know or didn't care that someone else already used him. He's done this with a bunch of other characters too. Just stop worrying about it.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
He's done it in his own books. Eddie Brock appears as a reporter asking Justin Hammer questions (during the Doc Ock arc) a good 15 issues before the Venom arc begins, and is then portrayed as a skeevy college student during the Venom arc.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Aug 30, 2013

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

El Gallinero Gros posted:

He's done it in his own books. Eddie Brock appears as a reporter asking Justin Hammer questions (during the Doc Ock arc) a good 15 issues before the Venom arc begins, and is then portrayed as a skeevy college student during it.

This can probably be attributed to Bendis not thinking the Ultimateverse would last beyond 20 or so issues. But poo poo like referring to the Reed Richards' world famous Baxter Building should've stopped long before, say, the Venom story, where Eddie Sr. and Richard Parker are talking about what a great colleague Reed probably is even though he's like 17.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Mr Deliciousman posted:

She signs up with SHIELD at the end of Ultimate Doomsday (which she's in a fair bit), but after that and the time she got gassed she's not really in Ultimates at all, which always seemed like a waste to me. I'd have figured she could be in that line-up for the new Howling Commandos but I guess the writers didn't want to use her or her USM appearances mean she's not available over there?

While I like U Spider-Woman, they've really gone nowhere with her and wasted most of the fresh-steam she had when introduced.

Her interaction around the House of Spiderfriends arc was kinda interesting, but went nowhere and then she's tossed on the SHIELD train (because that's... necessary?) which felt rushed & not well established. Since then she's... kinda done nothing "SHIELD"-y other than serve as an excuse to deliver hi-tech Spider gear to Miles, with the occasional pep-talk/training stuff. That and the weird cross-over with the big battle.

Very aimless :iiam:

Would have way prefered seeing the "Enemy of SHIELD & All the baddies"-arc, that was kinda hinted at after the Clone Arc, explored, instead of dropping off the face of the Earth to do "Her Own Thing" (smack random minor villains around) until the SHIELD thing.

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Aug 30, 2013

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I think Hickman might've had plans for her in Ultimates because I do recall her being on the Triskellion and appearing for a few pages in like issue 3 or 4 or something but then he was rushed off the book.

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.

notthegoatseguy posted:

I think Hickman might've had plans for her in Ultimates because I do recall her being on the Triskellion and appearing for a few pages in like issue 3 or 4 or something but then he was rushed off the book.

She was added to the Ultimates team but then Humphries happened and now Disassembled.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Reed better not go down AGAIN like a complete amateur.

Indie Rocktopus
Feb 20, 2012

In the aeroplane
over the sea

I wonder if they'd consider bringing over Ultimate Spider-Woman as well as Miles. "Embittered female clone of Peter Parker with his memories" is high-concept enough to work, especially if you keep the parallel universe stuff in the background, and play up the alienation of knowing you're a damaged copy of a beloved superhero. I haven't read a ton of either character, but as I understand it both Superboy and the recent Scarlet Spider series have gotten some mileage out of similar set-ups.

Especially if Bendis wrote her, this might be a way for Marvel to finally get a financially successful continuing "Spider-Girl" series.

Indie Rocktopus fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Sep 3, 2013

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Indie Rocktopus posted:

I wonder if they'd consider bringing over Ultimate Spider-Woman as well as Miles. "Embittered female clone of Peter Parker with his memories" is high-concept enough to work, especially if you keep the parallel universe stuff in the background, and play up the alienation iofknowing you're a damaged copy of a beloved superhero. I haven't read a ton of either character, but as I understand it both Superboy and the recent Scarlett Spider series have gotten some mileage out of similar set-ups.

Especially if Bendis wrote her, this might be a way for Marvel to finally get a financially successful continuing "Spider-Girl" series.

It'd be pretty cool to team her up with Kaine

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Man, they really don't need ANOTHER Spider-Woman though.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

I'm starting to wonder if she's going to get killed off during this whole Roxxon story. I hope not, but for some reason I started getting that vibe while reading the last issue. I guess it depends on whether or not the Ultimate line is actually ending, and whether or not she is getting brought over with Miles.

muscles like this? posted:

There is a perfectly lame 616 Spider-Woman that can be killed off to make room.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

DFu4ever posted:

There is a perfectly lame 616 Spider-Woman that can be killed off to make room.

But then who will be Carol Danvers' BFF?

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

Dacap posted:

But then who will be Carol Danvers' BFF?

Rogue.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

So it's not just me that finds 616 Spider-Woman to be completely characterless? I was starting to wonder.

I can't remember a single thing she's done in the last 10 years of Summer Blockbuster stories, or the Avengers between that (do you count the Skrull Queen as something *she* did?).

She's just kinda... there, in the background, making some snarky comment, maybe :geno:

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

muscles like this? posted:

They've got so many already I doubt one more can really hurt.

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010
Miles is not bring bought over to 616. It would completely ruin the character. I just can't see it happening. It would be such a ridiculous thing to do I can't believe people are even entertaining such a thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

krakagar posted:

It would be such a ridiculous thing to do I can't believe people are even entertaining such a thought.

Pretty much everyone here has read enough comics to realize that nothing is too ridiculous in this industry.

• Locked thread