Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

ReindeerF posted:

I wonder if she would be able to answer the magazine/newspaper question today if it were dropped on her randomly in an interview. I'd put $20 on "no."

Give her a break, man. She gave plenty of answers the first time around. "Most of them", "all of them", "any of them"...how many more indefinite answers does she need to give to sate your liberal bloodlust!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Warcabbit posted:

So, her pressing for the inspector general is cover? I understand that she wants to keep Kelly. He's... well, he's certainly been doing a job. But she has been hitting Stop and Frisk harder and harder each week. I'm not against Quinn's authoritarian streak, you need some ruthlessness to run this town. But, you know, convince me here. What would be the big difference between the two once they got into office? I mean, being Mayor is like being President. Probably the closest job to being President that isn't a Governor. You have limits and constituents you have to listen to. I dig DiBlasio says he's wanting this, this, and this, but I don't know if he'd get it. Quinn wants less, but I think she's more likely to get the lesser things she wants done. She grew up a minority, and I think that'll show in her governing. Convince me, here, I'm reachable.

She's been dancing around the actual stop-and-frisk issue (because she supports it) while hitting de Blasio on the optics and pushing her inspector general plan to try and show some opposition to Bloomberg/Kelly (which, I mean, it's not really much in the way of opposition).

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

SedanChair posted:

Wow, literally boning Arianna Huffington? I'm going to be ill.

No, he was willing to deny that.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Warcabbit posted:

So, her pressing for the inspector general is cover? I understand that she wants to keep Kelly. He's... well, he's certainly been doing a job. But she has been hitting Stop and Frisk harder and harder each week. I'm not against Quinn's authoritarian streak, you need some ruthlessness to run this town. But, you know, convince me here. What would be the big difference between the two once they got into office? I mean, being Mayor is like being President. Probably the closest job to being President that isn't a Governor. You have limits and constituents you have to listen to. I dig DiBlasio says he's wanting this, this, and this, but I don't know if he'd get it. Quinn wants less, but I think she's more likely to get the lesser things she wants done. She grew up a minority, and I think that'll show in her governing. Convince me, here, I'm reachable.

http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entry/booker-so-what-does-it-matter-if-i
Bookerchat:

The problem is that keeping Kelly, who I think we can all say is a True Believer in Stop and Frisk specifically and racial profiling more generally, really undercuts her expressed opposition, which is decidedly lukewarm. Her authoritarian streak seems to be, like her potential predecessor, directed towards stomping non-white New Yorkers and I think that's unacceptable.

I'd also hesitate to suggest that because Quinn grew up both a woman and LGBTQ, she's automatically going to govern favorably on issues that face other minorities (as if the LGBTQ community doesn't have its own problems with racism), especially since she's cozied up to Bloomberg - not exactly the progressive's progressive on race or gender.

SedanChair posted:

Wow, literally boning Arianna Huffington? I'm going to be ill.

Countdown until someone suggests it was a media strategy ... and he would've gotten away with it, too, if it weren't for those meddling kids!

Gay rumors have sort of dogged Cory Booker for decades, though, supposedly even in law school.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Nice Davis posted:

Give her a break, man. She gave plenty of answers the first time around. "Most of them", "all of them", "any of them"...how many more indefinite answers does she need to give to sate your liberal bloodlust!?
I would pay $1,000 to interview Sarah Palin for any job on Earth.

So, describe your experience with business software? What applications are you familiar with?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

The Warszawa posted:

Countdown until someone suggests it was a media strategy ... and he would've gotten away with it, too, if it weren't for those meddling kids!

Gay rumors have sort of dogged Cory Booker for decades, though, supposedly even in law school.

This is turning into a Barry Sonnenfeld movie.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Ayuh, wull Michaud's now leading LePage by 4% (by 15% if it becomes a two way race) up there in Maine. Also, 20% of Mainers believe that Obama hates white people (and, by extension, the entire state of Maine). This makes some sense, since Obama's IRS gestapo has been killing people in the state for five years now.

Meanwhile, I have to give Tom Cotton's press office some credit here. Back when he was writing for the Harvard Crimson he wrote a column about how racist civil rights leaders were for talking about race all the time. His office has responded to this being dug up with, "Most college students think they know it all, and most who later look back on what they wrote in college—including Tom—would probably put things differently today."

This begs the follow-up: so how would he put it today?

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

The Warszawa posted:

The problem is that keeping Kelly, who I think we can all say is a True Believer in Stop and Frisk specifically and racial profiling more generally, really undercuts her expressed opposition, which is decidedly lukewarm. Her authoritarian streak seems to be, like her potential predecessor, directed towards stomping non-white New Yorkers and I think that's unacceptable.

I'd also hesitate to suggest that because Quinn grew up both a woman and LGBTQ, she's automatically going to govern favorably on issues that face other minorities (as if the LGBTQ community doesn't have its own problems with racism), especially since she's cozied up to Bloomberg - not exactly the progressive's progressive on race or gender.

I can see that being a problem, but again, like Tatum said, she strikes me as the 'realists choice'. I remember Dinkins. He was a good guy. He was nice. The city _ate_ him. Quinn, being a gay woman and making it to the head of the city council says that she has the, ah, willpower, to kick heads in when needed.

I'm maybe not the world's biggest progressive. I'm more an Eisenhower Republican. I believe in making the changes you can, and setting things up so the people after you can make more changes. Quinn strikes me as, even with her lesser goals, being able to perform better than DiBlasio. She says she wants to keep Kelly, and that's because Kelly has huge approval ratings. I'm sorry, but it's true, he's 'kept the city safe'. I suspect he's going to leave after she settles in, to go do something else, we've been hearing rumors.

I don't know how she'll do on the whole ethnic issue, but again, her performance on the city council says she's pretty good at handling factions back and forth, and that's what most of it will wind up being.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Warcabbit posted:

I can see that being a problem, but again, like Tatum said, she strikes me as the 'realists choice'. I remember Dinkins. He was a good guy. He was nice. The city _ate_ him. Quinn, being a gay woman and making it to the head of the city council says that she has the, ah, willpower, to kick heads in when needed.

I'm maybe not the world's biggest progressive. I'm more an Eisenhower Republican. I believe in making the changes you can, and setting things up so the people after you can make more changes. Quinn strikes me as, even with her lesser goals, being able to perform better than DiBlasio. She says she wants to keep Kelly, and that's because Kelly has huge approval ratings. I'm sorry, but it's true, he's 'kept the city safe'. I suspect he's going to leave after she settles in, to go do something else, we've been hearing rumors.

I don't know how she'll do on the whole ethnic issue, but again, her performance on the city council says she's pretty good at handling factions back and forth, and that's what most of it will wind up being.

Yeah, as the demographic who gets stopped and frisked, it's not a trade I'm willing to make - willpower to kick heads in isn't commendable if it's towards a lovely goal. Kelly "kept the city safe" (for rich white people) by treating black and Hispanic New Yorkers as criminals from the get go.

I mean honestly, it's not that I think she's more "realistic" than De Blasio, it's that I think her goals are significantly worse than De Blasio's and Thompson's - those two are against racial profiling, she's fine with it if the polling's good (at best, at worst, she's a true believer).

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
You're completely right about how the city treats blacks and hispanics. Now, how are you going to change it? It's always been the government selling out to the rich white people. When has it not? I work in drug treatment and homeless shelters. I know how bad things are, and I'm trying to make it better. I'm working for a better tomorrow. I just don't think a reformer can walk in and clean-sweep everything without running into massive fights with the unions. I think the inspector general is a good start. I'd rather federal oversight, though, the NYPD needs a good rear end-reaming.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Quinn also did stupid poo poo like holding up a vote on paid sick leave (which had a veto-proof majority) for years until she started losing too much support and finally had to cave a few months back.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Warcabbit posted:

You're completely right about how the city treats blacks and hispanics. Now, how are you going to change it? It's always been the government selling out to the rich white people. When has it not? I work in drug treatment and homeless shelters. I know how bad things are, and I'm trying to make it better. I'm working for a better tomorrow. I just don't think a reformer can walk in and clean-sweep everything without running into massive fights with the unions. I think the inspector general is a good start. I'd rather federal oversight, though, the NYPD needs a good rear end-reaming.

I think both Thompson and De Blasio a) have better plans to end stop-and-frisk, starting with ditching the guy who's hailing it (and racial profiling) as the Real Solution to Crime and b) are more likely to take steps to actually end stop-and-frisk (and curb racist police practices to a greater extent). Quinn's tepid opposition to stop-and-frisk is hard to take as indicative of the presence of both ability and willingness to end it - I think the best case scenario is that bad police practices won't be exacerbated in a Quinn administration because it simply won't be a priority. I'm particularly fond of Thompson's documentation plan (though his opposition to bills recently enacted over Bloomberg's vetoes is discouraging), since I think it will either provide greater insight into how practices need to be modified beyond "loving quit it" or it will actually decrease lovely practices because cops don't want the hassle of documenting a stop. I think that's a much better start than Quinn's plan.

The Warszawa fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Aug 28, 2013

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I haven't paid any attention at all to the NYC mayoral candidates whose penises I haven't seen, but do any of them advocate ending the NYPD's "Demographic Unit", which has spent a decade watching soccer games in parks and visiting shawarma restaurants in the tri-state area to save us from terrorism?

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Joementum posted:

I haven't paid any attention at all to the NYC mayoral candidates whose penises I haven't seen, but do any of them advocate ending the NYPD's "Demographic Unit", which has spent a decade watching soccer games in parks and visiting shawarma restaurants in the tri-state area to save us from terrorism?

Yeah, the NYPD surveillance of Muslim student groups has kind of been folded into the stop-and-frisk issue - if you look at the two bills that the city council just passed over Bloomberg's veto, they deal with that too.

"Stop-and-frisk" has basically become catch-all code for the entirety of NYC racist practices.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
Cory Booker released a new criminal justice reform platform today. Among other things, he's pushing to eliminate mandatory minimums and reduce sentences on non-violent crimes, wants to decriminalize marijuana, eliminate the absurd crack sentencing disparity, get rid of private prisons, restore felon voting rights, increase funding for public prisons on education and treatment, fix the census incarcaration issue, and has a plan to try and reduce recidivism.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Yeah but his friends are bankers and he tweets.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
It must be pretty cool knowing you have a senate seat lined up for you months in advance.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The joint Rand Paul - Cory Booker press conference on the Justice Safety Valve Act will be entertaining when Rand starts explaining civil rights history.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

jeffersonlives posted:

Cory Booker released a new criminal justice reform platform today. Among other things, he's pushing to eliminate mandatory minimums and reduce sentences on non-violent crimes, wants to decriminalize marijuana, eliminate the absurd crack sentencing disparity, get rid of private prisons, restore felon voting rights, increase funding for public prisons on education and treatment, fix the census incarcaration issue, and has a plan to try and reduce recidivism.

We're in the Obama administration. Everyone in their right mind should know by now the value of what a politician "wants" to do.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

ReindeerF posted:

Yeah but his friends are bankers and he tweets.

I remember mcmagic being somebody I didn't reflexively scroll past in prior years. What the hell sent him off the deep-end about Cory Booker?

Gygaxian
May 29, 2013

jeffersonlives posted:

Well, even if he doesn't get it through Congress, Booker can easily promote these issues across the nation, so I guess it's a start. If he acts like an average Democrat on banks, then this is a good tradeoff.

Caros
May 14, 2008

mooyashi posted:

I remember mcmagic being somebody I didn't reflexively scroll past in prior years. What the hell sent him off the deep-end about Cory Booker?

"Hello. My name, is mcmagic. You killed my father. Prepare to die."

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Oxxidation posted:

We're in the Obama administration. Everyone in their right mind should know by now the value of what a politician "wants" to do.

He is essentially elected rather than campaigning at this point. That he's saying these things after he was de facto elected means he probably means them, as opposed to things he said only to get elected.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
It's also important to note that two of the biggest pieces of Booker's crime reform platform, dealing with mandatory minimums and sentencing disparities, are active bills in both the Senate and the House. In the Senate Leahy, Paul, and King have been working on these issues since the start of the year and are almost certainly open to building on that work with other items in Booker's list. So he will have immediate allies for that agenda when he's a Senator in November and those bills have a very high chance of passage in the Senate as soon as they get on the calendar. Naturally, whether anything passed the House these days is a big problem, but not a problem that can be blamed on Booker.

In fact, the thing Booker should worry about is that the Senate will pass those bills before he's sworn in, which would rob him of claiming credit for it.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
(if someone wants to make a new thread about NYC mayor race that's cool, though I don't have much to say).

de Blasio really has a pretty big lead. I think Weiner really helped him by entering/exploding/blowing a bunch of votes up in the air, but this is still surprising to me.
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/29/nyregion/poll-shows-de-blasio-with-big-lead.html
http://www.quinnipiac.edu/images/polling/nyc/nyc08282013.pdf/

VVV fixed, sorry by copying and pasting them they got f-ed up

pangstrom fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Aug 29, 2013

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

pangstrom posted:

(if someone wants to make a new thread about NYC mayor race that's cool, though I don't have much to say).

de Blasio really has a pretty big lead. I think Weiner really helped him by entering/exploding/blowing a bunch of votes up in the air, but this is still surprising to me.
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/29/n...h-big-lead.html
http://www.quinnipiac.edu/images/po...yc08282013.pdf/

I'm getting 404s on both of those links.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Willa Rogers posted:

I'm getting 404s on both of those links.

Here's the polling memo. Suffice to say that at the rate that Quinnipiac has undecideds breaking towards BdB, unless he implodes or their modeling is wrong (and I'm not entirely convinced by a poll that has BdB leading Thompson among African-American voters given how terribly the pre-election polling did at modeling Thompson votes in 2009, though BdB has unique appeal to that community for a white progressive type), de Blasio has a good chance at averting a runoff.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

evilweasel posted:

He is essentially elected rather than campaigning at this point. That he's saying these things after he was de facto elected means he probably means them, as opposed to things he said only to get elected.

Yea he's got the senate seat already in all but technicality, if he's running around saying this poo poo now you gotta at least believe he believes in them. Now the feasibility of getting support for them are another argument but at the very least I have faith that he'll campaign for them and make them public issues.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

jeffersonlives posted:

Here's the polling memo. Suffice to say that at the rate that Quinnipiac has undecideds breaking towards BdB, unless he implodes or their modeling is wrong (and I'm not entirely convinced by a poll that has BdB leading Thompson among African-American voters given how terribly the pre-election polling did at modeling Thompson votes in 2009, though BdB has unique appeal to that community for a white progressive type), de Blasio has a good chance at averting a runoff.

Holy poo poo, it's amazing that de Blasio's that close to avoiding a runoff, given how quickly the numbers have changed since Weinergate. What's the ad-purchasing/running been like? (In other words, is there a decided ad advantage for any of the candidates?)

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Willa Rogers posted:

Holy poo poo, it's amazing that de Blasio's that close to avoiding a runoff, given how quickly the numbers have changed since Weinergate. What's the ad-purchasing/running been like? (In other words, is there a decided ad advantage for any of the candidates?)

Don't know about official buy numbers, de Blasio's been hammering both broadcast and cable with this ad featuring his biracial son talking about the key issues, including stop-and-frisk (which also has the value of creating a family man narrative for the candidate who was initially splitting a base with Anthony Weiner), and it's probably the most effective ad I've ever seen in a local race:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgvXniTz7D8

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Yeah. I'm dubious about the likely voter screen, myself, but it's going to come down to if his inspirational ability can match Quinn's machine get out the vote.

I'm liking this guy more every time I see him, though.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
The real hilarity is, as always, on the Republican side of the line in the NYC mayoral race (Carlos Danger, esquire, excepted)

quote:

"I'd say to him, 'What did you do to provoke it?'" billionaire businessman John Catsimatidis said of his son, John Jr.

Joseph Lhota, the former MTA chairman and Giuliani administration official, said he'd remind his daughter, Kathryn, of the legal history that allowed police to interrogate suspects, and try to determine whether the officers crossed the line.

Doe Fund founder George McDonald stumbled over the question, but gathered his thoughts and said his child didn't live in a high-crime neighborhood. "My son, John, isn't going to get stopped — and that's the whole point."

Those were the responses to "What would you do if your child was Stop and Frisked by the NYPD". Don't worry, they also can all agree that if elected, they'll name a monument for Bloomberg.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

jeffersonlives posted:

Don't know about official buy numbers, de Blasio's been hammering both broadcast and cable with this ad featuring his biracial son talking about the key issues, including stop-and-frisk (which also has the value of creating a family man narrative for the candidate who was initially splitting a base with Anthony Weiner), and it's probably the most effective ad I've ever seen in a local race:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgvXniTz7D8

Oh hot drat that's a great ad.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Nancy Pelosi doesn't want to be Speaker again, so if the Democrats retake the House in 2014 (:laffo:) they'd most likely have Steny Hoyer as their leader.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Joementum posted:

Nancy Pelosi doesn't want to be Speaker again, so if the Democrats retake the House in 2014 (:laffo:) they'd most likely have Steny Hoyer as their leader.

Out of the frying pan and into the fire. :sigh:

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007
That's not true Joe. He'd never get the votes. It'll either be Van Hollen or Becerra.

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi
Well I never knew what to make of Brooker but those are solid criminal justice reforms.

Sigh, it's a bummer when the criterion for good candidate is "has at least one position I like", but so it goes.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Ocean Book posted:

Well I never knew what to make of Brooker but those are solid criminal justice reforms.

Sigh, it's a bummer when the criterion for good candidate is "has at least one position I like", but so it goes.

It isn't that I don't support his criminal justice reforms, but it seems like those would be much easier to implement (maybe even some unilaterally) if he was Governor of New Jersey. The only real advantage of being a Senator Booker rather than Governor Booker is revising federal statutes which typically are much harsher than state statutes and offer less options for early release and alternatives to prison.

For example, restoring felon voting rights is already the reality in 13 states (sentence ends, you can vote when you're out of prison) and there's blue, purple, and solidly red states among those 13. And in New Jersey, Booker's state, it ends after parole is over.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

notthegoatseguy posted:

It isn't that I don't support his criminal justice reforms, but it seems like those would be much easier to implement (maybe even some unilaterally) if he was Governor of New Jersey. The only real advantage of being a Senator Booker rather than Governor Booker is revising federal statutes which typically are much harsher than state statutes and offer less options for early release and alternatives to prison.

For example, restoring felon voting rights is already the reality in 13 states (sentence ends, you can vote when you're out of prison) and there's blue, purple, and solidly red states among those 13. And in New Jersey, Booker's state, it ends after parole is over.

A lot of that stuff is either reform to federal system or stuff that could be most effectively pushed on states by the federal government.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Joementum posted:

This part is hilarious:

quote:

UPDATE: 1:10 p.m., Friday, August 30

Speaker Pelosi's office blasted a press release this afternoon contesting the wording of NJ's question and asking for a correction. In fact, the recorded audio file supports the edited transcript above. Here is the question and answer, from the tape:

National Journal: Do you wish for the chance for the speaker position again?

Pelosi: No, that's not my thing. I did that.

They didn't even add a clarification; just straight-out repeated her answer from the taped convo. I wonder what it was that her office wanted "corrected."

• Locked thread