Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

It's getting straight 10s from the TFN folks, so... maybe?

I'm not surprised at the Firefly comparisons; most reviews mention that this book is very much a "western" (think The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly to Shatterpoint's Apocalypse Now), and when you combine westerns and sci-fi, well, people can't help but mention that show. :clint:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
It's funny, I think space western, and well, I think Star Wars already

I mean, an outlaw blasting a bounty hunter in a cantina and then hightailing it on his horse Falcon out of town because he's on the run from the marshalls Empire is about as western as it gets.

Course, I'm probably preachin' to the choir here

Minnesota Manatee
Aug 28, 2009

Plus, Luke in a poncho.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Conquistador posted:

It's funny, I think space western, and well, I think Star Wars already

I mean, an outlaw blasting a bounty hunter in a cantina and then hightailing it on his horse Falcon out of town because he's on the run from the marshalls Empire is about as western as it gets.

Course, I'm probably preachin' to the choir here

Sure, one of my favourite levels from Star Wars: Bounty Hunter was the first or second Tatooine mission where you're sent to take back a sleepy frontier town from a gang of laser-slinging outlaws led by this guy called Longo Two-Guns, who boasts of his sobriquet as "the fastest blaster on Tatooine".

Then there was a Marvel Star Wars story where Han assembles the Magnificent Seven in space (the group includes Bucky O'Hare and Don Quixote).

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Cross-Section posted:

It's getting straight 10s from the TFN folks, so... maybe?

The same group that tried to give ratings of 11 to Dark Nest and Legacy of the Force?

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

api call girl posted:

The same group that tried to give ratings of 11 to Dark Nest and Legacy of the Force?

I had wondered what, if any, credibility those guys had, and welp, I burst out laughing when I read this. I really hope thats true.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Well, I went and tracked down the review threads for the Dark Nest novels.

No crazy 11s but overall, each novel still averaged about a 7 out of 10 (except for Swarm War which came out as an 8 :stare:). Still quite fanboy-ish, but sadly, not as much as we thought. Well, unless you're looking for individual reviews but I'm not reading through 11 pages of "the Killiks actually, like, symbolize the human soul, man :catdrugs:"

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

It's really ridiculous how much Karen Traviss's early stuff got hugely hyped on TFN. She's really not liked there now but there was a reallllly long time when she was held up as a genuine literary great there. I think it took the combination of her final LOTF entry and her Order 66 book before the cult of adoration around her broke and a lot of people realized how bad she'd been for so long.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I genuinely enjoyed her first Trooper novel and the second one was fun, mostly because I hadn't become familiar with all her poo poo writing habits.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
So my buddies and I sat down and watched the Rifftrax edition of The Holiday Special. I never thought I'd see an elderly Wookiee devour his own face while watching a vaguely erotic, incredibly 70's singer. I also never thought I'd see Harvey Korman glitch out and flick his tongue at the camera, but, well, here we are.

I'm also convinced that Chewie turned to a life of crime with Han in order to help pay for medical bills and other assorted expenses regarding Lumpy's down syndrome.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

WhyteRyce posted:

I genuinely enjoyed her first Trooper novel and the second one was fun, mostly because I hadn't become familiar with all her poo poo writing habits.

Nah, the first two books are good, and I'd call her a passable if not good writer if she stopped there and retired. The Third book however :catstare:.

On a lighter note finished "Tales of the New Republic" That was a good omnibus, My favorite so far between Jaba, Cantina, New Republic, and Bounty Hunters is probably bounty hunter, although my favorite story has to be the story of the Rancor's keeper. :cry: It's like Old Yeller really..

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Aug 31, 2013

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I dunno, I could have done without the sexual undertones between the Rancor and the other dude

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Is the first story in "Bounty Hunters" the Dengar one or the IG-88 one? I didn't really enjoy the latter very much when I read it (I gather it's not generally too highly regarded) but I remember thinking the former was one of the best ones in the book.

I believe the Boba Fett stories in all three collections were written by Daniel Keys Moran (he also co-wrote the story for the DS9 episode "Hard Time" although he didn't script it himself). They were pretty good. It's too bad he never got to write a Fett novel.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I don't know man, I like Boba Fett a lot, to the degree I even have a Fett tattoo, but I'm not sure the EU needed more Fett-centric books

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Conquistador posted:

I don't know man, I like Boba Fett a lot, to the degree I even have a Fett tattoo, but I'm not sure the EU needed more Fett-centric books

Unless I'm mistaken there's really only the Bounty Hunter Wars trilogy, a bunch of comics, and a couple short stories. We could have done with another novel or two by a decent writer imo.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
He was in some lovely rear end books where he was like, old and decrepit and sad and poo poo about his daughter or some crap and thats when I stopped reading Star Wars books

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Epi Lepi posted:

Unless I'm mistaken there's really only the Bounty Hunter Wars trilogy, a bunch of comics, and a couple short stories. We could have done with another novel or two by a decent writer imo.

They did a Young Adult series based on the time period between Geonosis and him starting work at Jabbas palace. It wasn't all that great, but ti wasn't terrible either.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Conquistador posted:

Maybe not, though at the time the TOTBH stories were written, they were pretty much Fett's first important appearance in EU prose stories (he'd been in Dark Empire but that was about it). What I should have said was, what if Daniel Keys Moran (who wrote "The Last One Standing" and "A Barve Like That") had written a Fett novel instead of K. W. Jeter writing the Bounty Hunter Wars.

(I should note that Moran also wrote the Labria story from Tales From the Mos Eisley Cantina, which was my favourite one in the book)

Minnesota Manatee
Aug 28, 2009

Metal Loaf posted:

Is the first story in "Bounty Hunters" the Dengar one or the IG-88 one? I didn't really enjoy the latter very much when I read it (I gather it's not generally too highly regarded) but I remember thinking the former was one of the best ones in the book.

I'm halfway through Tales of the Bounty Hunters. IG-88's story is first, and I honestly really liked it. When I had heard about IG-88 and the Death Star I thought it sounded pretty stupid but I really didn't mind it once I actually read the story. I thought the whole droid revolution plot was pretty cool, especially the takeover of the production planet.

But Dengar's story, wow. I was very surprised and impressed by that story, how it was much more about his emotions and morals than the action. Dork alert, I actually teared up when he got jacked in to Manaroo's emotions and remembered what it was like to have a conscience.

Minnesota Manatee fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Sep 1, 2013

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Daniel Keys Moran is definitely one of the best authors the EU had, but is criminally undervalued. I think both because he only did a few short stories, and most of what he did was then invalidated by Lucas in Attack of the Clones and then Traviss in her Mando wankology.

(I do think the Jango Fett: Open Seasons comic does a good job of bridging the gap between Moran's Fett backstory and the new Lucas backstory, as well as being a really solid story on its own merits.)

But really, The Last One Standing is a really great story, and all we really needed to read about old Fett.

Conquistador posted:

He was in some lovely rear end books where he was like, old and decrepit and sad and poo poo about his daughter or some crap and thats when I stopped reading Star Wars books

We wanted more Daniel Keys Moran, and got Karen Traviss instead.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Chairman Capone posted:

(I do think the Jango Fett: Open Seasons comic does a good job of bridging the gap between Moran's Fett backstory and the new Lucas backstory, as well as being a really solid story on its own merits.)

I liked Open Seasons a lot. I actually first discovered it when the "Fall" chapter was included as a bonus feature in the Star Wars: Bounty Hunter game.

It had a kind of Joe Madureira-type manga-influenced art style which I found interesting at the time. It reminded me a lot of Jedi vs Sith.

quote:

We wanted more Daniel Keys Moran, and got Karen Traviss instead.

We got K. W. Jeter and the Official Bounty Hunter Wars Backstabbery Flow Chart(TM) first.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
That is the most :stare: chart I've ever looked at. I've read those books like 4 times each and I still get a migraine when I see that chart

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Metal Loaf posted:

It had a kind of Joe Madureira-type manga-influenced art style which I found interesting at the time. It reminded me a lot of Jedi vs Sith.

I actually think it's the same artist. He also did a tie-in comic to the Starfighter games that was pretty fun, but I don't think it's ever been collected.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The one with Nym? It's been collected in one of the omnibuses, but I can't remember which one off the top of my head.

Fuzzyjello
Jan 28, 2013

Minnesota Manatee posted:

I'm halfway through Tales of the Bounty Hunters.

The only reason I started reading Star Wars books.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

Servetus posted:

No not really; he's an insufferable blowhard of a Jedi who turns into an insufferable blowhard of a Sith. Balance Point is a moment of Peak Jacen however, with the whole "Jedi shouldn't save people because it could involve violence" line Jacen was pushing.

I remain convinced that the only book, literally the only book in the entire EU, in which Jacen is an interesting character is Traitor, and even then it's mostly just Vergere being interesting and Jacen being in interesting situations.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern
I'm about halfway through the new Kenobi audiobook and so far it's very engaging.

I don't think it spoils much when I say what to my annoyance isn't covered, but just in case:

I wish the author had included a scene between the Larses and Obi-Wan concerning just why the hell they should look after Luke and especially why the kid gets to keep his last name. As it is, it's glossed over with one or two sentences basically saying that the deal had been struck, and now it was time for Obi to find a home nearby.

Genuine spoilers from now on:

I loved how the age and look difference between Ewan McGregor and Alec Guinness was explained:
A shopkeeper tells Obi-Wan about an actor who came to Tatooine and wanted to shoot his new desert epic there. He never took precautions against the suns, went into the desert for half a year and came back so shriveled and sun-blasted that his own agent didn't recognize him and his acting career was effectively over. Obi-Wan listens and makes a point of leaving his hood down - as becoming unrecognizable as quickly as possible is pretty much a bonus for him.

As I said, so far it's a fun and gripping listen, with only one or two eye-rolling moments so far. And if you're a fan of the Dark Horse comics, there is a nice callback to one of the earliest Dark Horse stories from the prequel era, Outlander.

Dave Syndrome fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Sep 1, 2013

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Dave Syndrome posted:

As I said, so far it's a fun and gripping listen, with only one or two eye-rolling moments so far. And if you're a fan of the Dark Horse comics, there is a nice callback to one of the earliest Dark Horse stories from the prequel era, Outlander.

I was going to ask, is A'Sharad Hett in it? Legacy established that at the end of the Clone Wars, he survived Order 66 and returned to Tatooine to unite the Tusken clans in the same way his father had many years earlier, but when his raids came too close to the Lars homestead Obi-Wan stepped in, humbled him in front of his men and exiled him into space.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Isn't there something more pressing he could have done in the galaxy than unite the loving Tuskens.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Metal Loaf posted:

I was going to ask, is A'Sharad Hett in it? Legacy established that at the end of the Clone Wars, he survived Order 66 and returned to Tatooine to unite the Tusken clans in the same way his father had many years earlier, but when his raids came too close to the Lars homestead Obi-Wan stepped in, humbled him in front of his men and exiled him into space.

So far, no, but his father is mentioned a lot. The main Tusken leader in the book is the sibling (kinda) to K'Sheek, who became Sharad Hett's wife. It is mentioned that A'Sharad has "disappeared" (i.e. went back to Coruscant with Ki-Adi Mundi). Keep in mind that I only know half the book so far.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Metal Loaf posted:

From what I understand, Kenobi is entirely set within a few months of the ending of ROTS, so that's still several years before Hett returns to Tatooine as shown in Legacy.

I knew already it wouldn't happen, but I still would have exploded if they had included the old non-canon Dark Horse comic where Obi-Wan fights Cyber-Maul on Tatooine. As dumb as bringing Maul back for The Clone Wars was I was still hoping it meant that story would become official. For a dumb-sounding premise, it was a great little short story (and it actually gave Owen something to do, too.)

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Just concurring that Kenobi is alright so far.

Anyone know what books are slated to be adapted for audio in the near future? The most recent adaption of an older book was Allegiance a couple months ago. I'm hoping they continue to sell well so the X-Wing series will get an unabridged release, and maybe the Hand of Thrawn as well. I'd even buy some of the dorky 90s stuff like Bounty Hunter trilogy if they released it unabridged.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

"All fiction is on hiatus b/c of Disney. There were plans for a 3 part collaboration between @aaronallston, @MikeStackpole, & Zahn"

https://mobile.twitter.com/SWatDC/status/374291732751745024

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Chairman Capone posted:

"All fiction is on hiatus b/c of Disney. There were plans for a 3 part collaboration between @aaronallston, @MikeStackpole, & Zahn"

I really am wondering what will become of the already announced (and in some cases probably already finished) stuff like Sword of the Jedi. That tweet only directly references future plans, not stuff that was already confirmed...

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Chairman Capone posted:

Now that loving sucks.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

Casimir Radon posted:

Now that loving sucks.

I'm honestly not feeling very depressed that the flow of awful books will slow to a diarrhea-like trickle.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Van Dis posted:

I'm honestly not feeling very depressed that the flow of awful books will slow to a diarrhea-like trickle.

Yeah, but what about the good stuff? For every Bounty Hunter Wars, there is a Thrawn Trilogy. For every Crystal Star there is a Mercy Kill.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
I believe your ratios there are a bit off, friend.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Van Dis posted:

I believe your ratios there are a bit off, friend.

Well, I find a lot more of the EU "good" than the average goon seems to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Well let's look at it this way--there'll be one Stackpole/Allston/Zahn collaboration and then there will be easily a dozen Troy Denning books. What was that Spock cost/benefit ratio analysis quote again? Anyway, we still come out ahead.