Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight really was something special for its time. The scale of the levels was massive, the music was what you would expect from a Star Wars game, the enemies were diverse, and the scenarios made you feel like you were playing something besides a random assortment of levels. I seem to remember one of the maps had you going through a massive series of canyons, and there were these large, aggressive whale things swimming around in the water below, and when you finally got to your objective, it was a gigantic open area with a whole mess of patrolling Stormtroopers and AT-ST walkers.

And yeah, the crashing ship level was really cool.

EDIT: I'm watching some of these "let's play" videos of JK and I forgot how many levels had non-combatant characters/creatures and vehicles in them. Between that and the "looks vaguely like an actual place by 1990's standards", a lot of the areas actually felt alive. Pretty impressive for a game that came out in 1997.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Aug 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Dark Forces 1 was no slouch either. The engine was about as capable as Build and could do room-over-room and animated polygonal objects. Most of the levels have areas with really impressive verticality.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Kakumei posted:

I mean like, just look at this.

Yeah, it's technically competent, but even the map doesn't reflect how loving frustrating it is to wander through the same hallway after the same hallway and trigger invisible switches that maybe opened up that wall back there??? oh nope actually it opened a wall near the beginning of the goddamn level but guiding you in that direction would be WAY too much work so gently caress that, wander around for an hour, have fun!

The end bit in the crater was pretty fun, but it certainly wasn't worth crawling through that loving temple.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

That was the level I got stuck on and gave up on last time i played alien vendetta. I was really really impressed with how it looked, but it was confusing as hell.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
I honestly thought that was the map from that thing someone did last year where they combined all the Doom 2 maps into one level.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Anyone else feel this has been a surprisingly slow year for Doom so far? The past couple years have been kinda nuts, but I just took a look at the current Cacowards nominees, and it's a pretty small list, and about half of them are still in development. Even Brutal Doom is apparently finishing up sometime in the next few days, and likely won't be updated again for quite a while.

Tormentor667 is still trying to get his crew together one last time to do a final, polished-up version of ZDCMP2 (which I loved even in its beta form), and things seem slow there. More and more folks seem to be falling off the face of the internet.

As an interesting aside, I recall that 2010 was one of the most (if not THE most) active years for Doom in general.

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011
It has been, hasn't it? Aside from Project MSX and a few of WildWeasel's stuff (and maybe Samsara)... heck, I don't know if any big Megawads were released this year.

Are there any Marathon-style .wads? Anything that takes place in space. I know of Junko.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Clearly, everyone's holding back for Doom's 20th birthday in December :colbert:

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

JackMackerel posted:

It has been, hasn't it? Aside from Project MSX and a few of WildWeasel's stuff (and maybe Samsara)... heck, I don't know if any big Megawads were released this year.

Are there any Marathon-style .wads? Anything that takes place in space. I know of Junko.

If you're just looking for space, there's the Vrack series. Be warned, though, they are slaughtermappy as hell. I think I kinda just gave up partway through the second one because it ceased being fun to me.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

JackMackerel posted:

(and maybe Samsara)...

Samsara was released last year, actually.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I'm not a huge fan of it due to personal taste (the maps are all a bit larger than I generally like as a no-saves pistol starter), but Hellbound is a really well-made megawad that's been released this year.

Carver
Jan 14, 2003

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Clearly, everyone's holding back for Doom's 20th birthday in December :colbert:

Man, that reminds me of spending the summer of 98 playing Doom maps and mods and being amazed at how people still cared about the game even after Quake.

Seeing how it is 15 years after that is pretty crazy.

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012
Compared to most games, I'd say Doom's modding community is still really active even if it has slowed down. I wouldn't be surprised if this was just a dry year. Hell, even if it is starting to die we have enough content to last a lifetime.

glam bam rock
Jun 2, 2009

aaaaaaaaawwwwwwwww
WHAM BAM THANK YA GLAM

I love Misri Halek :qq:

but if you don't, you don't! It's all good

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy

Mak0rz posted:

The end bit in the crater was pretty fun, but it certainly wasn't worth crawling through that loving temple.

I took a glancing look at that map and it clicked in my head, 'is this that one level?'

Yeah. Yeah it's that one map. Probably spent more time looking at the automap than anything else going through there, haha!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I think people kind of blew their wads (:haw:) last year, so folks are still building new stuff or recovering (for lack of a better word) from pushing out so much awesome.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

kmxexii posted:

I love Misri Halek :qq:

but if you don't, you don't! It's all good

I bet you like Eternal Doom, you monster.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Well, this is pretty cool.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oE77bYYjO-Q

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Never realized I wanted a Wolfenstein animated series before, I could definitely watch a few seasons of BJ blowing away Nazis with a poo poo eating grin.

glam bam rock
Jun 2, 2009

aaaaaaaaawwwwwwwww
WHAM BAM THANK YA GLAM

closeted republican posted:

I bet you like Eternal Doom, you monster.

You got me!

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

All we need are the Final Fight dudes and we can have a three-way over who gets to eat food found in questionable places.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Doctor Shitfaced posted:

Compared to most games, I'd say Doom's modding community is still really active even if it has slowed down. I wouldn't be surprised if this was just a dry year. Hell, even if it is starting to die we have enough content to last a lifetime.

Yeah, I don't think the Doom scene is dying. Like I said, I think the biggest year for Doom modding was 2010, so the game didn't really hit its peak until about 15 years after release.

This seems to be the year of struggling to get projects done, though. Even some things that are like 95% done (ZDCMP2) have managed to stall out at the last minute.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

That went in a completely different direction than I was expecting, but drat, that was pretty cool.

Szymanski
Jul 31, 2005

You down with OCP?
Sugartime Jones

Dominic White posted:

This seems to be the year of struggling to get projects done, though.

Lots of projects struggle, lots more die. I don't expect to see Millennium or Mordeth 2 anytime soon.
There's a screenshot from Odium halfway down this page http://derekmd.com/ which has been stuck at 95% done for years.

On the plus side Plutonia 2 was reborn from the originals ashes*

* not sure poop turns to ash

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

This is real rad and where can I play this game.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
My favorite little touch is the turkey leg being both steaming and covered in cobwebs

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Well, here's some good news. Vlambeer's (Super Crate Box, Ridiculous Fishing, etc) Wolfensteiny shooter-with-heavy-rap Gun Godz is now free for all, along with a prototype of their upcoming multiplatform roguelike shooter Wasteland Kings. Previously Gun Godz was a subscribers perk for the Venus Patrol blog.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7JNczDp3UM

It's pretty fun.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Fantastic stuff! Pity it crashes instantly upon starting the first level in Windows 8 (don't use Windows 8, guys) :(

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Nice, really cool of them to give it away now that the kickstarter's finished.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I honestly couldn't understand that whole Venus Patrol thing but yay Gun Godz is pretty neato.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur
It's an interesting game, but gently caress if the music isn't terrible. The first set of levels began to border on intolerable for me after a few minutes because the music was just so grating.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Looks like Bethesda's making more Doom merch to ramp up for the 20th anniversary, including these cute little bastards:

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

The Kins posted:

Looks like Bethesda's making more Doom merch to ramp up for the 20th anniversary, including these cute little bastards:

Oh, if only the Pain Elemental had little plushie Lost Souls in his mouth too! :3:

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I'd pay extra for ones that made pain noises when you squeezed them, with the occasional death noise every few squeezes. :3:

e: Also looking at that shop the $200 pewter miniatures are sold out. Sheesh.

Geight fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Sep 2, 2013

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Too bad id couldn't be arsed to make Doom 4 for the 20th anniversary :v:

Maybe if the unholy gods are good we'll at least get some concrete news.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I didn't know id was selling DeviantArt prints.

That's really goofy.

JerryLee posted:

Too bad id couldn't be arsed to make Doom 4 for the 20th anniversary :v:

:saddowns:

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Yodzilla posted:

That's really goofy.

To be fair, Doom, Quake, etc are all pretty goofy too.

mister negative
Jun 2, 2004

Salad Prong
I have been waiting at least 10 years for a cacodemon plush to be made, so now I have to pay up. I bought two and a pain elemental. :3:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

HellFox posted:

I have been waiting at least 10 years for a cacodemon plush to be made, so now I have to pay up. I bought two and a pain elemental. :3:

I live in Spain and I'm about to check if I can buy both. I must have them :3:

Edit:
Hell yes, Shipping methods:
USPS First Class International $11.13
USPS Priority International $30.00

As a man-child I'm so happy right now.

Guillermus fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Sep 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

It's no Hissy but it'll do. Pulled the trigger and got them both. I don't care what anyone thinks!