Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

There are a few spells that can be permanently missed, however. A couple of summons, two bard songs, and while you do get a second chance at some blue magic, you can also squander that second chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Not to mention that one of the most hilarious blue spells is only on a boss that rarely uses it.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

dis astranagant posted:

Not to mention that one of the most hilarious blue spells is only on a boss that rarely uses it.

Every Blue Magic spell is on at least one random encounter enemy, though?

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
FFV is the easiest game in the series to break over your knee in difficulty, rivaled only by FF1,FF2,FF3,FF4,FF6,FF7,FF8,FF9,FF10,NOT FF11,FF12,FF13,NOT FF14,FFT,FFTA,FFTA2,FFD,FF4TAY,FF13-2,FF10-2.

What I'm getting at is that every game is the worst game in the series.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Mystic Quest doesn't even put up the pretense of needing to be broken though. :colbert:

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

dis astranagant posted:

Wait, which one is this? I've learned every blue spell before and don't remember having to use a boss to learn any of them.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Mind Blast is only used by Stalker in that one temple you go to near the beginning of world 3.

E: oh, I guess some random in the rear end end of the void uses it, too.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

dis astranagant posted:

Mind Blast is only used by Stalker in that one temple you go to near the beginning of world 3.

E: oh, I guess some random in the rear end end of the void uses it, too.

Oh, yeah, just have someone with Learning smack a Mindflayer upside the head and he'll counter with it. I actually didn't even know there was anything else that casted that.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

It's awesome in the Ancient Cave hack since you can get it out of chests real early and it shuts down basically every random enemy and many bosses. Autohit paralysis is no joke, the damage and sap are just icing on the cake.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

So I'm not a huge fan of MMOs but a bunch of friends are playing the FF14 re-release and are saying it's basically the best FF game that has come out in a while.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

So I'm not a huge fan of MMOs but a bunch of friends are playing the FF14 re-release and are saying it's basically the best FF game that has come out in a while.

Well, I mean, with a bunch of friends its basically like playing coop FFXII and FFV's weird-rear end baby so its got a very clear appeal.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

You saying this made me realize how low a bar the phrase "best FF in ten years" sets.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Well gameplay wise it's "basically Japanese WOW" but the story, graphics and music are supposed to be on par with an FF game, instead of just a barely passable MMO shell.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Well gameplay wise it's "basically Japanese WOW" but the story, graphics and music are supposed to be on par with an FF game, instead of just a barely passable MMO shell.

FFXI was the same way; they've got pretty good stories for an MMO and do a good job of making side-stories self-contained and enjoyable while also tying back into the main questline. Current FFXIV is basically FFXIV-2 because the plot is an all new start point that continues from the results of the endgame of FFXIV. You won't be lost if you hop in now because the game does a pretty good job of getting you up to speed and meeting the heroes you need to meet but there might be some background fluff bits you're not familiar with.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I've heard enough good that I'd be willing to give it a shot, but seriously, gently caress subscription-based games.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Think of it as paying to not go through the bullshit you would have in a free-to-play game.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

That loving Sned posted:

Think of it as paying to not go through the bullshit you would have in a free-to-play game.

Does XIV not have a cash shop?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

That loving Sned posted:

I legitimately prefer the bullshit in a F2P game to having to pay $150/year to keep playing a game. Like to the point where it isn't even a question. I would take a F2P over a subscription 10 times out of 10.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I'd post about subscriptions and F2P or whatever but this really isn't the thread for that. Go over here if you wanna complain about that.

We can talk music here, though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmgIaZ1W7NU

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?
FFXIV looks really cool, but the initial buy in plus the subscription is too much. I wouldn't play it enough to justify the expense. I'm still kind of burned out from WoW too even though it's been a year since I stopped playing it.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I'm playing through FFXIV right now, and it's really good. I'm not a music guy, but Ul'dah's city theme is good. I'm not a monster guy, but I like the look of the monsters. I'm not an MMO guy, but I think this game is good. I'm not a grinding guy, but the leveling in this game is really easy, but at the same time not ridiculously so. I'm not an opinions guy, but my opinion about this game is that it's great.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
I've played and enjoyed both, but XIV beats the pants off of XI. You can make meaningful progress solo in less than an hour, the graphics and music are great, the jobs are unique and fun.. If you're into MMOs or FF, it's worth trying.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
And if you don't like MMOs at least listen to the music because it's pretty bomb.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
I buckled and got XIV earlier this week and made a character during the early access thing I got despite canceling my preorder. My biggest issue is that all the worlds are apparently full unless you go on Japan's servers. I had to ditch my first character and start a new on Anima(JP). I got to level 11 within a few hours. I like it a lot more than WoW at least.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
I got a chance to try the e3 demo of FFXIII-3 at PAX this morning, reporting some impressions. Note that I haven't followed 13-3 a whole bunch so some of this may be old news to people following more closely.

First, I hadn't really been following info about the gameplay so I walked in thinking it would be a lot more of an action RPG than it is. It's not, at all. In fact it has a vibe very close to how the previous two games worked despite a lot of rejiggering to the combat system; you essentially hit buttons to choose attacks until your ATB bar is empty, then switch to another skill set and repeat while empty ATB bars on other classes refill. Of the three classes I had access to all three had a dedicated block skill; when an enemy winds up for an attack you can hold it down to activate block and reduce damage; if you time the block correctly you can stun the enemy and get some hits in. That's basically it for core combat, you can sort of move around the arena but very slowly and not enough to dodge attacks. Maybe other classes in the game leave you more agile.

Stagger has been changed a lot, since it now relies on hitting weaknesses and not just chaining ravager attacks until a bar fills up. A building stagger will fall off quickly, too, so I was only ever able to reliably get it off on the boss at the end of the demo. It worked pretty well, I thought.

I had access to 3 classes, a tank class, an offensive sword class, and a sorceress class with a pretty egregious fanservice victory pose. The only main differences was skill selection and the tank class having a block which absorbed more damage; all 3 classes got a block.

Music was pretty good and the game is pretty and well-animated up close. As for plot it was a chunk right out of some larger section but even 15 minutes of it was enough for me to know it's as loopy and hard-to-follow as ever. I stopped giving a poo poo about the plot in 13 very early on so I wasn't even irked at (minor spoiler I guess?) what appears to be localized amnesia on Lightning's part; it didn't seem like she recognized Hope, and more significantly the girl who looks like Serah. Then again, she did remember Snow, so who knows? Also, Serah has a new VA and is horrible. The VA is also horrible.

Boss fight was alright although it boiled down to build stagger -> block -> build stagger -> block -> stagger -> limit break ("overclock") -> win. Overclock basically just gives you unlimited ATB on whatever class you're using for a few seconds to let you spam attacks. I'm assuming (hoping) it was early on in the game.

On the whole I feel exactly like how I felt about 13 and 13-2, a resounding "meh". I'll get it, like it enough to finish it, probably think it was worth the money and never actively think about it again once it's over. Basically however you felt about early games in the series 13-3 probably won't move your opinion one way or the other.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
So my wife enjoys watching me play video games. We've recently played through The Walking Dead and Catherine. I had played through both games previously, but I replayed them with her making all the decisions. When looking for new games for her to watch, I popped in Final Fantasy 13 yesterday. I had bought FF13 when it first came out but only got the part in (I think about chapter 9) where you are rescuing Sazh and Vanille from the airship. At that point I got distracted by other games and never went back to it. I even went and bought FF13-2 when it came out but have never even removed the shrinkwrap.

Now we're playing back through it and I'm actually really enjoy FF13. I mean, I'm only about 4 hours into the game right now and the first 90 minutes or slow are a little monotonous, but it reminds me why I like a good classic JRPG.

I'm happy I'll finally be forced to finish this game and play through 13-2.

Raruna
Mar 30, 2010
Sweet, seems like FFXV is going to show up at TGS like we wanted!

I know the article does mention that this list seemingly isn't final, though the fact that it comes from the official TGS site is pretty promising! I can only hope we get entirely new gameplay videos, and maybe a clear explanation of how the game's battle system works, types of weapons available and so on. I hope Nomura really does deliver on that promise he made of Noctis using several types of firearms, along with his melee weapons.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Mordiceius posted:

So my wife enjoys watching me play video games. We've recently played through The Walking Dead and Catherine. I had played through both games previously, but I replayed them with her making all the decisions. When looking for new games for her to watch, I popped in Final Fantasy 13 yesterday. I had bought FF13 when it first came out but only got the part in (I think about chapter 9) where you are rescuing Sazh and Vanille from the airship. At that point I got distracted by other games and never went back to it. I even went and bought FF13-2 when it came out but have never even removed the shrinkwrap.

Now we're playing back through it and I'm actually really enjoy FF13. I mean, I'm only about 4 hours into the game right now and the first 90 minutes or slow are a little monotonous, but it reminds me why I like a good classic JRPG.

I'm happy I'll finally be forced to finish this game and play through 13-2.

How is your wife enjoying all her decision-making options?

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Raruna posted:

Sweet, seems like FFXV is going to show up at TGS like we wanted!

I know the article does mention that this list seemingly isn't final, though the fact that it comes from the official TGS site is pretty promising! I can only hope we get entirely new gameplay videos, and maybe a clear explanation of how the game's battle system works, types of weapons available and so on. I hope Nomura really does deliver on that promise he made of Noctis using several types of firearms, along with his melee weapons.

Plot twist: Final Fantasy XV and Agni's Philosophy are actually one in the same. Agni's Philosophy is the card game.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Mordiceius posted:

I mean, I'm only about 4 hours into the game right now and the first 90 minutes or slow are a little monotonous, but it reminds me why I like a good classic JRPG.

:psyduck: How is FF13 like a classic rpg? Maybe a few of them were linear, but that's about it for similarities.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Meiteron posted:

I got a chance to try the e3 demo of FFXIII-3 at PAX this morning, reporting some impressions. Note that I haven't followed 13-3 a whole bunch so some of this may be old news to people following more closely.

First, I hadn't really been following info about the gameplay so I walked in thinking it would be a lot more of an action RPG than it is. It's not, at all. In fact it has a vibe very close to how the previous two games worked despite a lot of rejiggering to the combat system; you essentially hit buttons to choose attacks until your ATB bar is empty, then switch to another skill set and repeat while empty ATB bars on other classes refill. Of the three classes I had access to all three had a dedicated block skill; when an enemy winds up for an attack you can hold it down to activate block and reduce damage; if you time the block correctly you can stun the enemy and get some hits in. That's basically it for core combat, you can sort of move around the arena but very slowly and not enough to dodge attacks. Maybe other classes in the game leave you more agile.

Stagger has been changed a lot, since it now relies on hitting weaknesses and not just chaining ravager attacks until a bar fills up. A building stagger will fall off quickly, too, so I was only ever able to reliably get it off on the boss at the end of the demo. It worked pretty well, I thought.

I had access to 3 classes, a tank class, an offensive sword class, and a sorceress class with a pretty egregious fanservice victory pose. The only main differences was skill selection and the tank class having a block which absorbed more damage; all 3 classes got a block.

Music was pretty good and the game is pretty and well-animated up close. As for plot it was a chunk right out of some larger section but even 15 minutes of it was enough for me to know it's as loopy and hard-to-follow as ever. I stopped giving a poo poo about the plot in 13 very early on so I wasn't even irked at (minor spoiler I guess?) what appears to be localized amnesia on Lightning's part; it didn't seem like she recognized Hope, and more significantly the girl who looks like Serah. Then again, she did remember Snow, so who knows? Also, Serah has a new VA and is horrible. The VA is also horrible.

Boss fight was alright although it boiled down to build stagger -> block -> build stagger -> block -> stagger -> limit break ("overclock") -> win. Overclock basically just gives you unlimited ATB on whatever class you're using for a few seconds to let you spam attacks. I'm assuming (hoping) it was early on in the game.

On the whole I feel exactly like how I felt about 13 and 13-2, a resounding "meh". I'll get it, like it enough to finish it, probably think it was worth the money and never actively think about it again once it's over. Basically however you felt about early games in the series 13-3 probably won't move your opinion one way or the other.

There are classes with dedicated dodge roll moves. The victory pose was an E3 demo-only thing. Lightning's been asleep for 500 years, so the amnesia might be attributed to that. As for "Serah", that's Lumina, not Serah. She's still a mystery at this point.

There's also going to be a Hard mode so that should diversify what seems like rote gameplay.

Azure_Horizon fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Aug 31, 2013

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

^^^Hey Azure! I'm psychic! Hard mode will have enemies with exponentially more hp and more numbers in their stats, while everything else will be the same. I doubt SE will break this mold.

E3 dude,
When you say it was "hard to follow", do you mean it in the sense "this seems like an interesting part of a larger plot" or "Typical Toriyama bullshit"?
Or is it too early to tell?

I have a feeling I know the answer, but one can always hope it's the former.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Aug 31, 2013

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

SSNeoman posted:

E3 dude,
When you say it was "hard to follow", do you mean it in the sense "this seems like an interesting part of a larger plot" or "Typical Toriyama bullshit"?
Or is it too early to tell?

Well, I'm making a few projections based on what I saw. It's 15 minutes of gameplay that is very obviously carved out of the middle of a larger plot arc and so it will, by necessity, be a little bit flimsy when taken out of context like it is. That said, those 15 minutes of gameplay contained some awkward dialogue, far too many references to "chaos" as a generic placeholder for "evil poo poo" (I am aware of the existence of "chaos" from 13-2, of course, where it had basically the same purpose in the plot) including the lines "the chaos levels are spiking, we may lose communication (paraphrased)" and random people showing up spouting cryptic lines before running off and leaving beasties behind.

More minor spoilers I was pretty interested in finding out what the hell is going on with Snow because they talk about it a fair bit without answering the question in the content provided. So there was some interesting stuff in there.

Now, they can take all that and make it a part of an interesting plot. It can also just be indicative of an overall plot which will be all over the place in terms of focus and quality. I saw a lot more of the latter in 13 and 13-2 and eventually learned to just tune out my brain from some of the loopier parts while focusing on the parts of the game I liked (gameplay), and 13-3 was prompting the same reaction from me almost immediately. I stand by the prediction that however you feel about 13-2 is going to carry over to 13-3 without a lot of adjustment.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Barudak posted:

FFXI was the same way; they've got pretty good stories for an MMO and do a good job of making side-stories self-contained and enjoyable while also tying back into the main questline. Current FFXIV is basically FFXIV-2 because the plot is an all new start point that continues from the results of the endgame of FFXIV. You won't be lost if you hop in now because the game does a pretty good job of getting you up to speed and meeting the heroes you need to meet but there might be some background fluff bits you're not familiar with.
Part of my problem with story in an MMO is that they are, by nature, a social medium. The story gets made up as you gently caress around with your buddies, it doesn't come from some NPCs prattling on for five minutes at a time. Plus I found it really hard to receive FF11's delivery when all of it was in your chat window and while you could skip that, you had to watch NPCs doing /emotes and scripted walking and poo poo. It was all pretty jarring.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I have found I can never really choose a favorite Final Fantasy. I genuinely like every single entry in the series for one reason or another so my favorite always seems to be what I'm replaying currently. Right now that's Final Fantasy XII IZJS. There are a few games I've played that really gave me the feeling of "adventure" and FFXII is right at the top of that list, right along with Skies of Arcadia. It has problems, for sure, but something about the tone of the story and the characters really tickles me. I love the idea that they aren't the most important people in the world - they are just the right people in the right place at the right time for the most part.

IZJS has changed some stuff up so I'm having to re-learn pretty much everything. At least the early Gladius steal still works. That really makes a gigantic difference in the Lhusu mines stretch of the game. I love the job system changes to the License board. I've really had to strategize and think about my gambits more given that not everyone can do everything. Some parts seem more difficult because of it but I feel like the characters being job-focused makes them more powerful more quickly so the curve is just different. I definitely feel like some of the marks are a little easier than before.

Did they add any bosses or content other than the few weapons and general item/stat changes? I roughly remember the flow of the original but I'm kind of hoping to see something new. I never did fight Yiazmat or Omega so I suppose I can do it this time around. It's new to me!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

The White Dragon posted:

Part of my problem with story in an MMO is that they are, by nature, a social medium. The story gets made up as you gently caress around with your buddies, it doesn't come from some NPCs prattling on for five minutes at a time. Plus I found it really hard to receive FF11's delivery when all of it was in your chat window and while you could skip that, you had to watch NPCs doing /emotes and scripted walking and poo poo. It was all pretty jarring.
For what it's worth, there were a few villains I actually wanted to kill. That's a pretty high bar for the modern FFs to clear (according to 13 and 13-2, at least) and I don't feel bad praising 11 for that if nothing else.

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

:rolleyes:
In Final Fantasy 2 is there any penalty to using both White and Black Magic? Like, I know that leveling your strength and stamina lowers your magic, but does increasing Spirit lower your Intelligence and vice versa?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

NIV3K posted:

In Final Fantasy 2 is there any penalty to using both White and Black Magic? Like, I know that leveling your strength and stamina lowers your magic, but does increasing Spirit lower your Intelligence and vice versa?

No. Strength can lower Intelligence, Intelligence can lower Stamina, and Spirit can lower Strength. Keep in mind this is all just for the NES version, as I believe future versions removed the stat loss penalties entirely.

As long as that character focuses on casting both sets of magic and avoids equipment that gives magic penalties (mainly heavy armor, and for the NES version only, most weapons and all shields), they should level both stats well enough to be effective in both schools of magic.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

The Saga games were made by the same director as FFII, and I think they used the same levelling system, along with very non-linear gameplay. If you like Final Fantasy II's system, then you should try one of these games, since they apparently have much better implementations.

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/saga/saga.htm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
Yes and no. RNG is even more prevalent in the SaGa games and they are also ludicrously hard if you don't stumble upon the best abilities in the game. SaGa games are notable for basically telling you jack poo poo about how to play them. FFII does this as well, but SaGa does this with everything.