Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN posted:

Can anyone recommend a good TV show on Netflix to watch while trying to fall asleep? Something focused more on dialog than visuals, that doesn't have an ongoing storyline (so I won't miss anything important if I doze off halfway through an episode) and ideally has at least a couple seasons available. I'm starting my second run through all 13 seasons of King of the Hill, but it might be time for something new.

Frasier is all about the dialogue and it is 11 seasons long. I used to fall asleep to this all the time back when it was in re-runs at my bedtime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Can anyone recommend a good TV show on Netflix to watch while trying to fall asleep? Something focused more on dialog than visuals, that doesn't have an ongoing storyline (so I won't miss anything important if I doze off halfway through an episode) and ideally has at least a couple seasons available. I'm starting my second run through all 13 seasons of King of the Hill, but it might be time for something new.

It violates your "Multiple seasons" rule, but I'll turn on Cosmos if I want to watch something while falling asleep. It's a great show, but Sagan's cadence and voice is so mellow that it makes it perfect for sleeping.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Bob's Burgers is pretty great if you're trying to relax. Cradle me with your voice, Jon Benjamin :allears:

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

SRM posted:

Bob's Burgers is pretty great if you're trying to relax. Cradle me with your voice, Jon Benjamin :allears:

It's just great, period.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

foodfight posted:

Watch Overnight if you must watch something Boondock Saints related. Its essentially Troy Duffy being this guy for 90 minutes (ie absolutely clueless):

I want to reiterate this - Overnight is a FANTASTIC documentary. It really gives you an eye on what the Hollywood process looks like, and you get to see Troy Duffy being insane. I've watched it a few times now and it never gets old.

It used to be on Netflix, not sure if it is anymore and can't check since I'm at work. :(

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

AFewBricksShy posted:

It violates your "Multiple seasons" rule, but I'll turn on Cosmos if I want to watch something while falling asleep. It's a great show, but Sagan's cadence and voice is so mellow that it makes it perfect for sleeping.

Me too.

And as an added bonus you wake up smarter.

Mike Rowe narrating How the Universe Works is pretty relaxing too, but sometimes that one is a little more jarring than Cosmos

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Finally actually watching Wilfred. No idea why I never got past the 2nd episode earlier. This is definitely my kind of show.

And I'm 4thing or whatevering that Bob's Burgers is the greatest show and perfect to fall asleep to.

I also love that Netflix gets a bunch of campy horror movies. The Collector was dumb and The Awakening was ok (Dominic West :allears:)

Aaaaaand Wilfred Season 2 is awesome so far.

Shyfted One fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Aug 30, 2013

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
Thanks to everyone who suggested Dredd. That was surprisingly entertaining.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost

Bolek posted:

Impossible to say for me since I've seen it with the subs but it's kind of better if you infer what they say rather than having it spelled out. I don't know, they could get rid of half the dialogue in the thing and just exchange pensive glances and I would love it all the same.

Right that's why I say the missing subtitles aren't a huge deal, just be aware they're supposed to be there. If I remember correctly the extended conversation between Vincent and the Doctor-Painter is basically just driving home the theme of wandering warriors for hire which is right in the frickin' title.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

Dang, before I got to that second sentence all I was thinking was KOTH.

There's always something like It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. And stuff like American Dad or Futurama that's you'd miss out on a number of great visual jokes but still dialog will get you far.

But you might try some of the older shows like Cheers. Fraiser was a pretty good recommendation too.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Thanks to everyone who suggested Dredd. That was surprisingly entertaining.

I just watched it last night, myself, and holy poo poo, what a good action movie!

How It's Made. That show is so goddamn soothing.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

A few episodes of TNG will do it.

Inudeku
Jul 13, 2008
What's some great shows on Netflix to show my 7 year old nephew? He's pretty familiar with a lot of superhero stuff on there, so I'm looking for something a little less action-y.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Inudeku posted:

What's some great shows on Netflix to show my 7 year old nephew? He's pretty familiar with a lot of superhero stuff on there, so I'm looking for something a little less action-y.

Doctor Who.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Inudeku posted:

Adventure Time is great--although you might watch an episode or two to see if he would like it.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
(trigger warning: anime)

Hell yeah they just added Trigun to instant streaming!

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

Trigun's actually been up for a long time, they just recently added the movie.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
Well poo poo, don't know how I missed that. Either way Trigun :woop:

Hitch
Jul 1, 2012

I've been enjoying the heck out of Fringe lately. I'm working through seasons 2 and 3 right now. I'm impressed with how the story seems to have been laid out from the beginning.

I'm still at work so I can't check but does anyone know if season 5 is up yet? I'd hate to get into it only to find I'd have to wait or put money up for the final season!

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Hitch posted:

I've been enjoying the heck out of Fringe lately. I'm working through seasons 2 and 3 right now. I'm impressed with how the story seems to have been laid out from the beginning.

I'm still at work so I can't check but does anyone know if season 5 is up yet? I'd hate to get into it only to find I'd have to wait or put money up for the final season!

It's getting posted September 12th. Due to an error on their end it went live earlier this month but they pulled it in less than a day.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

How is Fringe past the first few episode into season four? I was in love with the first three seasons of the show, but season four effectively wiping anything that happens from the show when peter is removed from existence was loving awful. All that amazing writing down the toilet so that Peter and Olivia could re meet each other again just angered me so much, I quit watching and never checked into it again.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Khorne Flakes posted:

How is Fringe past the first few episode into season four? I was in love with the first three seasons of the show, but season four effectively wiping anything that happens from the show when peter is removed from existence was loving awful. All that amazing writing down the toilet so that Peter and Olivia could re meet each other again just angered me so much, I quit watching and never checked into it again.

Agreed. Like almost every show/movie the writers have no idea how to write romantic relationships beyond initial infatuation and gave themselves an easy out. It's the relationship narrative equivalent of knocking out a character because you're too lazy to figure out how to get them from A to B.

Bolek
May 1, 2003

I don't know all the issues with writing giant romantic story arks for characters in a long running TV show all I know is that The Office turned to poo poo once Jim and Pam got together.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Khorne Flakes posted:

IMHO season 4 was a tremendous mis-step because they practically rebooted it to try and make it accessible to new viewers but in the process completely destroyed all the goodwill they had built up in the first 3 seasons and effectively neutered the show. It's a huge regression in quality with a needlessly convoluted ending that completely destroys the characterization of a few characters that had already gotten proper send-offs because they couldn't be assed to actually come up with anything new. The best episode was probably the stealth pilot for season 5, and season 5 itself was basically one giant fetch quest that tread water for almost all of its runtime.

Seasons 1-3 are one continuous climb in quality and I really enjoyed them (especially season 3) but season 4 and 5 are mediocre no-budget sci-fi procedurals punctuated by odd moments of excellence.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Watched Fearless. I liked it, but it was more fun before it got all serious and was a wacky kung fu movie. Here comes my Iron Head!

Past Tense Ragu
Oct 17, 2005

manyak posted:

Hahahahah yeah the only movies that come out nowadays are "sterile disaster movies". We need to start seeing more big budget action movies based on comic book heroes!! When was the last time one of those came out anyway

you know what he means. every comic book hero movie is basically a disaster movie nowadays. the whole world must be saved, cities are being destroyed, the night is always darkest before the dawn blah blah, but dredd is just about getting out of an apartment complex. which used to be the kind of plot that was good enough to carry a blockbuster movie and is much more interesting anyway

tliil
Jan 13, 2013

Past Tense Ragu posted:

you know what he means. every comic book hero movie is basically a disaster movie nowadays. the whole world must be saved, cities are being destroyed, the night is always darkest before the dawn blah blah, but dredd is just about getting out of an apartment complex. which used to be the kind of plot that was good enough to carry a blockbuster movie and is much more interesting anyway
You have a point. A lot of these comic book movies get wrapped up in the "spectacle" of CGI characters throwing CGI poo poo at each other and forget to actually have fun stories. I'm gonna check out Dredd, you've piqued my interest good sir.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

Khorne Flakes posted:

Iffy. Season 4 takes way too long to start putting the pieces back together and even then the rest of the series takes place in the merged timeline, and we only get back original Peter and original Olivia (kinda) . There's some really cool stuff were we get great callbacks to some of the better stories and characters from the other seasons, but aside from that it's not very good.

Like of SCIENCE! said, there's one super cool episode which sets the stage for season 5. Fringe always had trouble with bloated 20+ episode seasons, so Season 5 being 13 episodes really should have been amazing... but instead they just do the same thing and give us 13 episodes that probably should have been like 6.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

My one complaint about anime on Netflix is that I really only seem to like the 80s/early 90s stuff, and Netflix doesn't really have a lot of that.

I don't know if that's a combination of the rights being tied up all over the place, interest, lack of (quality) dubs, cost or popularity.

I'd probably like it if even 1/4th of any of the 90s US distributors catalogs of titles showed up.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Inudeku posted:

Regular Show. It's kind of like Adventure Time, but the fantastical happenings are in a more mundane setting, which for me makes it more fun.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Season 4 of Fringe started really rocky for me but the last few episodes were decent enough. Still haven't gotten past the season 5 premiere.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Finished up The Fall and the only thing I can say about it is that John Lynch has perfect hair.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies

JediTalentAgent posted:

My one complaint about anime on Netflix is that I really only seem to like the 80s/early 90s stuff, and Netflix doesn't really have a lot of that.

I don't know if that's a combination of the rights being tied up all over the place, interest, lack of (quality) dubs, cost or popularity.

I'd probably like it if even 1/4th of any of the 90s US distributors catalogs of titles showed up.
I think my biggest copmlaint is that (at least for Trigun), is that the english subtitles are for the Japanese version, with the english version having different pacing and words than the subtitles. It's annoying to watch, so I'm not sure I want to watch the non-dubbed version. :v:

If Netflix gets Cowboy Beebop and Rurouni Kenshin on instant, I'd be pretty happy as far as my anime needs go.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

I think I've been watching Louie for like 4 hours now. Just a real kind of draining show, but in a way that I enjoy. I'm almost done with the episodes they have on Netflix, so I guess I gotta find something else after that. Before Louie it was Bob's Burgers, which I don't like as much, but it's still good.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Bolek posted:

I don't know all the issues with writing giant romantic story arks for characters in a long running TV show all I know is that The Office turned to poo poo once Jim and Pam got together.

Random tangent but my girlfriend is rewatching The Office right now, and it's almost surreal how as soon as Michael Scott leaves the show (in a weirdly melodramatic send-off episode, no less) they start pulling retcon after retcon rapidly, I guess just trying to find a format that worked. And in a later episode they bring back the crazy bitch lady (Jan, I think?), and though they all mention "Oh man we have a shared history with this person!" for some reason none of them brings up that she used to date Michael, and when they show a series of flashbacks he's been edited out of each one. It's fascinating and vaguely depressing to find a show lose it's footing so suddenly, and this is from someone who binged through it all on Netflix in the span of a month. I imagine if you'd been following the show for years it has to be almost heartbreaking.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

I Before E posted:

I think I've been watching Louie for like 4 hours now. Just a real kind of draining show, but in a way that I enjoy.

If you liked Louie, you'll love Lincoln https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-FGfyEwVXM (unfortunately it's just an SNL skit)

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

I Before E posted:

I think I've been watching Louie for like 4 hours now. Just a real kind of draining show, but in a way that I enjoy. I'm almost done with the episodes they have on Netflix, so I guess I gotta find something else after that. Before Louie it was Bob's Burgers, which I don't like as much, but it's still good.

I've been on a Louie binge too! I saw part of the first season a while back but only recently started seeing the rest on Netflix. It just blew my mind that Pamela Adlon is the voice of Bobby Hill after thinking that she sounds really familiar.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
I watch a lot of Asian movies on Netflix. Two I've watched recently:

The Yellow Sea: a Chinese Korean who has to go South Korea to pay off his wife's debts to the mob by assassinating a complete stranger. He's not an experienced killer, he's a cab driver. His wife also went to South Korea, so he wants to find her while he's there.

Nightfall: set in Hong Kong. A crazy (maybe?) guy gets out of prison and supposedly kills a famous pianist. But of course, it goes much deeper than that.

Both of these movies started out strong, then devolved into silliness. The Yellow Sea began very well, kind of slow, contemplative, then became a lovely action movie with people taking unrealistic amounts of damage. Nightfall became so convoluted, it ruined the mystery it set up in the beginning. This seems to happen a lot in the East Asian movies I watch on Netflix.

Bolek
May 1, 2003

hope and vaseline posted:

I've been on a Louie binge too! I saw part of the first season a while back but only recently started seeing the rest on Netflix. It just blew my mind that Pamela Adlon is the voice of Bobby Hill after thinking that she sounds really familiar.

Wow I had no idea that was her. She's had a pretty cool career so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

nickmeister posted:

I watch a lot of Asian movies on Netflix. Two I've watched recently:

The Yellow Sea: a Chinese Korean who has to go South Korea to pay off his wife's debts to the mob by assassinating a complete stranger. He's not an experienced killer, he's a cab driver. His wife also went to South Korea, so he wants to find her while he's there.

I was contemplating watching this one soon. Trying to shrink my queue. I did watch The Assassins with Chow Yun Fat. It wasn't bad, but wasn't that great either. I think if I knew more about the history of the area and time it would have been more enjoyable.

• Locked thread