Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

nrr posted:

Holy geez, thread.

It was shorter than a tipping argument at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tastic
Jun 3, 2005

Well just had my first bartending shift in about a year. I got sent home early cause it was dead, said they would call me if they wanted me back basically. hosed up the one drink I made. Thing about it is, I bartended a little and barbacked a shitload at a decent bar that tried craft beers, cocktails, etc. This is a blue collar everyone knows everyone and the nicest beer there is Corona. They don't even have shakers. Also, I am the only dude bartender and I look like a hipster. There was about 5 dudes sitting at the bar, I walk in talk to the manager "Hi Im Tastic" then my glasses break. She starts talkin to me and all the guys leave. I misheard the one drink I had to make. I overthought everything and was nervous as poo poo the whole time. And to top it off, I had the worst week of my life before this. Ugh.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

Tastic posted:

Well just had my first bartending shift in about a year. I got sent home early cause it was dead, said they would call me if they wanted me back basically. hosed up the one drink I made. Thing about it is, I bartended a little and barbacked a shitload at a decent bar that tried craft beers, cocktails, etc. This is a blue collar everyone knows everyone and the nicest beer there is Corona. They don't even have shakers. Also, I am the only dude bartender and I look like a hipster. There was about 5 dudes sitting at the bar, I walk in talk to the manager "Hi Im Tastic" then my glasses break. She starts talkin to me and all the guys leave. I misheard the one drink I had to make. I overthought everything and was nervous as poo poo the whole time. And to top it off, I had the worst week of my life before this. Ugh.

Don't worry. Consider it a warmup for your next, proper trial shift.

That said I've never known anyone ever do a full shift for a trial shift anyway. You always get sent home early.

Tastic
Jun 3, 2005

Masonity posted:

Don't worry. Consider it a warmup for your next, proper trial shift.

That said I've never known anyone ever do a full shift for a trial shift anyway. You always get sent home early.

I went in today to say I had to jump town for a few days and everything was cool. I was just wiggin out cause dam I miss working behind a bar and this is really my only shot to get back into it. Plus, it is under new owners and a lot of good stuff is happening. Its just one of those things where it was comical how everything went wroung.

Anyone have any advice on how to bring in some more blue collar folk to a bar? There was mention of bringing in glass front coolers to show off the imports they would be bringing in. Thing is, I don't think the bar manager knows poo poo about imports/crafts. Even then, there are soooo many pretty fuckin amazing bars in this town doing that it would be stupid to try and compete with em. We are out of the way from a lot of places so not really anything you can hop to. The other big thing is live music. There was a mention that they cant hold music because the previous owners screwed up something. I am aware there is some sort of live music liscensing thing? Does anyone have any experience with that? I am in the state of Illinois if that helps.

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot

Tastic posted:

I went in today to say I had to jump town for a few days and everything was cool. I was just wiggin out cause dam I miss working behind a bar and this is really my only shot to get back into it. Plus, it is under new owners and a lot of good stuff is happening. Its just one of those things where it was comical how everything went wroung.

Anyone have any advice on how to bring in some more blue collar folk to a bar? There was mention of bringing in glass front coolers to show off the imports they would be bringing in. Thing is, I don't think the bar manager knows poo poo about imports/crafts. Even then, there are soooo many pretty fuckin amazing bars in this town doing that it would be stupid to try and compete with em. We are out of the way from a lot of places so not really anything you can hop to. The other big thing is live music. There was a mention that they cant hold music because the previous owners screwed up something. I am aware there is some sort of live music liscensing thing? Does anyone have any experience with that? I am in the state of Illinois if that helps.

If it's Chicago, you sure as poo poo have to have licensing for live music, and it's pretty annoying. It's known as a PPA.

Blue collar? Be open during earlier hours, advertise High Life, and have a jukebox stocked accordingly with hits blue collar sorts might like. Old country, some classic rock, Gordon Lightfoot, I don't know. That sorta thing. I can point you in the direction of a few places to take notes from if you are indeed in Chicago.

Edit: Also man, relax. The clientele will warm to you or they won't. But chances are, if you're the only bar they can go to (key point: be open during hours others aren't), they'll make do with you. They're old codgery sorts and don't like change and don't like new poo poo. The day you get one of them to try a Hooegarden, and they like it, they will order it maybe once, maybe twice ever again, then have a lovely day, order their usual, and things will be the same as ever. At least that was how it was for me.

Ally McBeal Wiki fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Aug 19, 2013

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Also if all the bars downtown are doing A and people love A and you're not downtown that isn't necessarily a reason NOT to do A. Give them what they want closer to home and maybe they won't go down there for it but stay nearby instead. Depends on what A is, of course -- Coyote Ugly in the burbs doesn't work.

Is there a bar that has Quiz / Trivia Night locked down in your town yet? If not you should be that bar. Blue Collar people like quiz night.

Any major industries in town? Go directly to them and talk to HR or whatever, see if you can get them to hold their holiday party or other events at your place instead of wherever they usually do it. Offer a great price / open bar for an hour or so or whatever, see what can be done. Send a thank you card afterward with a tray of sandwiches or something to try to seal the deal.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
Tomorrow I take my leave of the wood, 3:00am drinking, and all the other poo poo. I'm not out of the industry yet, stepping into a busy breakfast place to serve (no tender, and the only booze they have is vodka (for caesers), sparkling wine (for mimosas), and poo poo local beer) - closes no later than 4pm, so I can actually spend time with my 9-5 partner and friends.

Hopefully a year from now I'll be out of the industry entirely.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

JawKnee posted:

Tomorrow I take my leave of the wood, 3:00am drinking, and all the other poo poo. I'm not out of the industry yet, stepping into a busy breakfast place to serve (no tender, and the only booze they have is vodka (for caesers), sparkling wine (for mimosas), and poo poo local beer) - closes no later than 4pm, so I can actually spend time with my 9-5 partner and friends.

Hopefully a year from now I'll be out of the industry entirely.

I'd love to work until 4 or 5pm. I'm considering leaving the trade for it. I doubt I'd have much luck looking for office roles even though I have a degree (2:2 in economics and law, 2007) so I'll probably look for management jobs in more daytime places like sandwich shops and the like. Pretty much for the same reason, I want to spend more time in the evenings with my wife.

I loving love my current job though. The venue, my colleagues, even the customers. I just don't love not being able to have a normal life, spending evenings with my wife and kids.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

That was harder than I thought it would be, regulars buying me shots all night, waitresses tearing up at the almost-homilies some of my favorites were delivering about me. It was the percolation of what I like about the social aspect of the industry. if only the nights weren't so late.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

JawKnee posted:

That was harder than I thought it would be, regulars buying me shots all night, waitresses tearing up at the almost-homilies some of my favorites were delivering about me. It was the percolation of what I like about the social aspect of the industry. if only the nights weren't so late.

I never accept the shots; if they want to buy me shots, I've got a day off and they can meet me at the bar I plan on going to that day. Drinking on the job never helps your tips or work, and if it helps your mood, you need to get into another business--one where you don't need to be tipsy to be happy. I drink plenty, but not when I'm working (or 8 hours before).

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Kaizoku posted:

I never accept the shots; if they want to buy me shots, I've got a day off and they can meet me at the bar I plan on going to that day. Drinking on the job never helps your tips or work, and if it helps your mood, you need to get into another business--one where you don't need to be tipsy to be happy. I drink plenty, but not when I'm working (or 8 hours before).

Good for you, how's the puritan bar scene these days?

Also it was my last shift.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Kaizoku posted:

I never read the posts. If they want to make posts at me, they should make them the very last post. right in front of me, not 2 posts up where I have to read them to not look like an idiot.

Choom Gangster
Oct 29, 2006

But guys, drinking on the job is dangerous, and, and did you hear? Sometimes it's not even legal!

Ouija
Nov 28, 2004

dont try
I'm honestly not into drinking while I work - I work in a high-volume place where precision drinks are the norm. I don't have room to be remotely sloppy.. if I was in a laid-back noonegivesashit "what's in an old fashioned?" kinda place I may be swayed. Even when I did work a more relaxed place it just made me pine for freedom and made the hours longer when I drank

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

That's not even the point. The whole reason JawKnee is even bringing any of this up at all is that this was his last bartending shift. Ever. Dude has the right to get blacked the gently caress out behind the wood if he wants to. It's his farewell. ie. I'm going off to war and there's a good chance I'll never see any of you again.

Choom Gangster
Oct 29, 2006

Exactly. I never drink at work. I don't even drink at the big Lush Life events I put on, where all the work is done and there is no reason not to. I find it unprofessional. But hey, last day behind the stick? Drink'em if you got'em.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
Speaking of events and professionalism, what cabin are you in this year?

number one pta fan
Sep 6, 2011

my work is my play play
every day pay day
Just met a female barback who had the job for around a year and actually moved to a new barbacking job at my new place. She knew enough about cocktails to make me a completely acceptable perfect Rob Roy and was socially awkward to a point where it was actually quite charming and uninhibited.

I'd open a bar just to hire her. Will be campaigning for her promotion. I say campaigning, I'll be tell the head bartender he's dumb as rocks for not hiring her straight up as a bartender.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
The barback < bartender pipeline can be weird, but a motivated person makes their own luck. Where (geographically) was this?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I'm recently out of the military after 8 years and am going back to school and thinking of taking up a bartending job while in school.

It seems like most of this thread is about bartending in actual bars, what about restaurants? There's a few restaurants opening up in my town (about the style of something like Applebees) and I was thinking of applying to one of those. Any advice on looking into that scene?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

nrr posted:

That's not even the point. The whole reason JawKnee is even bringing any of this up at all is that this was his last bartending shift. Ever. Dude has the right to get blacked the gently caress out behind the wood if he wants to. It's his farewell. ie. I'm going off to war and there's a good chance I'll never see any of you again.

I missed the last shift part, sorry. I just have worked with too many people I have to put to bed mid-shift and wake up for closing at the end of the night to be okay with it. Last shift is definitely an exception--you get hosed up!

I'd like to note, I am from and did my first decade in the industry in Wisconsin. The people who can pace themselves are out of the norm. I still feel, in a regular shift, shots aren't a good idea the same way a waiter sitting at their table isn't--"You did a shot with them, you like them better than us?"

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
I haven't kept up with this thread, but I read your old one and loved it. I have a few questions on my liquor of choice: gin.

My first drinking love was and still is a gin and tonic. At home, I like making it with Bombay Sapphire or Tanqueray with Schweppes in those tiny bottles so it's always fresh. However, I remember from the last thread that it was labeled a "girly drink," and I do hate having the bartender serve it with one of those tiny straws. Is there any "manly-er" alternative I might like? I'll sometimes drink a fancy gin like Hendrick's straight, but not every bar has that. The parts of the gin and tonic I like: the rich herbal taste of the gin, the fizziness of the tonic, and the dash of lime.

And unrelated, what are some other drinks I might like if I like amaretto sour?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Gin and tonic isn't girly, whoever told you that is wrong.

Amaretto sour is girly.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Cantorsdust posted:

I haven't kept up with this thread, but I read your old one and loved it. I have a few questions on my liquor of choice: gin.

My first drinking love was and still is a gin and tonic. At home, I like making it with Bombay Sapphire or Tanqueray with Schweppes in those tiny bottles so it's always fresh. However, I remember from the last thread that it was labeled a "girly drink," and I do hate having the bartender serve it with one of those tiny straws. Is there any "manly-er" alternative I might like? I'll sometimes drink a fancy gin like Hendrick's straight, but not every bar has that. The parts of the gin and tonic I like: the rich herbal taste of the gin, the fizziness of the tonic, and the dash of lime.

Is there a specific thing about an amaretto sour that you enjoy? Is it the tart of the sour, or the sweetness of the amaretto, or a combination of both? I tend to get a lot of girls asking for ridiculous drinks I've never heard of ("can you make me a purple swirly panty twister?") and they act like its completely outrageous if I don't know exactly how to make it. Over the years I've learned that if I can get them to identify one particular flavor of it they enjoyed I can generally create something that's close enough to what they wanted to make them happy. This tends to work for a lot of people; most folks who aren't professional drinkers tend to find something they like and stick with it, so I look for a common thread in what they already have experience with to use when trying to turn them on to something else.

And the next time someone calls you girlie for drinking gin and tonics, remind them that you'll be the one laughing at their bedside when they've come down with malaria.

Gin recommendation: Hendricks. It's a cucumber gin and it's quite tasty.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Benny D posted:

Gin recommendation: Hendricks. It's a cucumber gin and it's quite tasty.

He mentioned that one. I'd also recommend Citadelle or Port of Barcelona, for either straight drinking or martinis (not necessarily G&T).

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Also I don't really care for tonic water so my usual summer drink is a Tom Collins. With Hendricks if it's around / I have paper in my pocket.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
Thanks for the reassurance of my manliness, I guess. For amaretto sours, I like the sweet start and the tart punch afterwards. Are whiskey sours similar?

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

If they serve it, try sipsmith.

It's really good gin.

And girly? It originated in the British army. Real girly. I bet Andy mcnab wears a bra.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Cantorsdust posted:

I am a big fan of rickeys, be they gin or rye. Your choice of liquor, half a lime (NOT Roses), and mineral water.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Cantorsdust posted:

Thanks for the reassurance of my manliness, I guess. For amaretto sours, I like the sweet start and the tart punch afterwards.

Margarita (not frozen). Request Grand Marnier or Cointreau instead of triple sec (if it's a classy place they will do this or sub some other nice orange liqueur by default anyway). No salt on the rim that's dumb.

If you asked me for a drink that you would like like that I'd make a chocolate cake martini (half lemon vodka and half frangelico) and put about a half lemon's worth of wedges into the shaker before shaking it. I would change the name to something more manly.

raton fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Sep 1, 2013

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
If you want a classic "manly" drink with a bit of sweetness, I'd have to recommend the Manhattan as well, especially if you're a fan of the herbal aspect of gin (which is what tends to turn people off of Manhattans, I've found). There's not really any sourness to speak of, mind you.

Mr. Tibbs
Aug 4, 2012

They call me Mister Tibbs!

Cantorsdust posted:

My absolute favorite G&T is Hendrick's with Fever Tree tonic water. I highly highly recommend trying out some tonic waters besides Schweppes. I find that it makes a huge difference, especially if you are splurging on some nicer gin. You won't look back.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
For something like the third Saturday this month, one of my co-workers failed to show up for his shift, without telling anyone, or responding to texts/calls. It's frustrating because I feel like he's being kept on because he's the only one with a significant bartending experience, but he clearly has no intention to actually read his schedule, which is frustrating for me, because I always have to end up staying a few extra hours just to cover for him, and once I have to leave, my manager, who (at least today) has been there since 9 in the morning doing various other poo poo and would like to get home to his wife/kid, takes over, and bartending isn't actually his thing.

On the bright side, I had my first >$100 day on Wednesday. Funnily, it was at my second bar job, which is just beer and wine, but I think having to go to the liquor store next door during the first act of the play I was working and pick up a bunch of cold beer because we ran out impressed a lot of people. It felt good to bring home that much.

doginapot
Nov 11, 2004
a dog in a pot

Mr. Tibbs posted:

My absolute favorite G&T is Hendrick's with Fever Tree tonic water. I highly highly recommend trying out some tonic waters besides Schweppes. I find that it makes a huge difference, especially if you are splurging on some nicer gin. You won't look back.

Also, Old Tom, and while it lasts, Malacca.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

I actually prefer schweppes, or even Sainsburys sugar free tonic water, to Fevertree.

prezbuluskey
Jul 23, 2007
A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Let's say I am at a bar discussing something with colleagues and I am sick or really do not want to have any alcohol for some reason, what is something I can order that won't make me feel like I am drinking chocolate milk in the corner while my father is pounding Jack Daniels at the bar.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Soda water with a lime.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER
N/A beer, too.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
What's wrong with water or Diet Coke? If you're at a bar and people are giving you poo poo about not drinking, they're the one with problems, not you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER

Coco13 posted:

What's wrong with water or Diet Coke? If you're at a bar and people are giving you poo poo about not drinking, they're the one with problems, not you.

It's a (very, very mild) annoyance when people come up and apologize for asking for a glass of water or a coke because they're the DD or because it's loving hot.

If you're going to treat me like Gunga loving Din, yeah, I'll be annoyed, but I don't give a poo poo if you're a DD looking for the odd pop or glass of water. I loving encourage it, actually.

• Locked thread