Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I think the big thing about animating the monsters in a Harryhausen style is that it makes fighting them binary.

See in all MH games, the big gimmick to them is that the monsters you fight don't have health bars; you contextually "tell" how injured they are based on their actions (limping, if you've cut off or broken a part of their body, whether or not they're enraged, etc). In addition, all monsters have tells for what attacks they're going to do before they do them.

The appeal of MH is in the tell system. It emphasizes playing close attention to the monster you're fighting and learning what their tells are, because when you have their tells mastered you can literally fight them without taking any damage and cut the fight times in half, whilst breaking and cutting off all the breakable and cuttable parts and capturing them every time.

With Harryhausen animation a monster's tells become either super, unbelievably obvious or not noticeable at all, being that they only have a couple of frames of animation to work with. That in turn means monster fights would either be super easy or very hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011

Occupation posted:

With Harryhausen animation a monster's tells become either super, unbelievably obvious or not noticeable at all, being that they only have a couple of frames of animation to work with. That in turn means monster fights would either be super easy or very hard.

Limited animation can still leave room for obvious telegraphing. Look at the early Punch-Out!! series for example.

miguelito
Oct 5, 2012

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
(ask me about sexy shaving)

StevenM posted:

Limited animation can still leave room for obvious telegraphing. Look at the early Punch-Out!! series for example.

Punch out ran at buttery-smooth 60fps, I think that's pretty much the opposite end of the spectrum.
Not that you couldn't reserve 3-4 frames of HH animation for a good windup, but for twitch stuff I wouldn't say it's the best idea.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

miguelito posted:

Punch out ran at buttery-smooth 60fps, I think that's pretty much the opposite end of the spectrum.
Not that you couldn't reserve 3-4 frames of HH animation for a good windup, but for twitch stuff I wouldn't say it's the best idea.

That's... Not exactly... True.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

The Harryhausen style would be neat for one level but it can't carry an entire game.

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

Republicans posted:

The Harryhausen style would be neat for one level but it can't carry an entire game.

For sure. All the Brazen prototype really shows is that that Double Fine could get a "Monster Hunter" style game with Harryhausen animation working. Whatever would have gotten created in production is what would need to carry the game - the design.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
I love the Harryhausen animation from the tech demo. It adds another element of style to the Monster Hunter aesthetic, and it's an appropriate throwback to monster movies. Publisher's saying "yes, but get rid of that animation style!" come off as someone Missing The Point. I think some of Brad's ideas about multiplayer, how you party up on a giant ship before a quest, sound pretty great. He's good at selling people on this idea that he's super passionate about. Really though, I'd like a Monster Hunter game that is not Monster Hunter, and it seems like that's what Brazen would've been. Plus, I thought the character design was great for just a tech demo, and I loved the "everyone pose for a picture on top of the dead monster!"-shtick.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

New update and episode up.

Looks like they accidentally caught a PS4 devkit on camera at one point (it's the shot before the buy with the Nerf gun). :v: Doubt it's anything to do with Broken Age though, probably an unannounced next-gen game.

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.
They are doing some motion camera horseshit for the PS4 launch. It was announced today.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Doublefine's motion camera horseshit is pretty great as a stupid toy to gently caress around with, with others.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
I'm liking how the music sounds for The Girl's chapter so far. Very Legend of Zelda-y.

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.
That wasn't a judgement on the product, just that I don't own consoles and I am bitter that I am not playing it.

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Never bring a duck to a cock fight.
Watching Peter McConnell work out some music for that scene at the end was amazing. I love this documentary so much.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
New episode is fun. I also like that thing we're not supposed to talk about until tomorrow.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Oh hey, we finally got to hear the professional voices for the game. All of them sound really good so far, and it'll be great to hear them all in the finished game.

Kinda wanna hear the blowjob story.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Kinda wanna hear the blowjob story.

As voiced by Jack Black and Jennifer Hale.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
What's the thing you're not supposed to talk about? I backed but I don't usually watch the episodes.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

fronz posted:

What's the thing you're not supposed to talk about? I backed but I don't usually watch the episodes.

The creator of Adventure Time, Pendleton Ward is a voice actor in the game.

E: Also you should watch the episodes, they're really good.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

fronz posted:

I backed but I don't usually watch the episodes.

Seriously Fronz. Unless you are allergic to documentaries or something, they are pretty great.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

PonchAxis posted:

The creator of Adventure Time, Pendleton Ward is a voice actor in the game.

E: Also you should watch the episodes, they're really good.

Thanks.

King Burgundy posted:

Seriously Fronz. Unless you are allergic to documentaries or something, they are pretty great.

I plan to, I just don't generally have the time. And when I do it's sorta daunting to start on these, what with that baaaacklog and all...

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I ordered these on a DVD anyway, and I just don't have the patience to keep logging into their site when my cookie has already expired and logging in, finding where I last left off and continue from there is such a hassle.

I actually have better things to do in my life, like reaching max level in Skyrim.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Mordaedil posted:

I ordered these on a DVD anyway, and I just don't have the patience to keep logging into their site when my cookie has already expired and logging in, finding where I last left off and continue from there is such a hassle.

I actually have better things to do in my life, like reaching max level in Skyrim.

I haven't had to relog to their forum since last year and I only open that tab when a new episode out. You could also just open all of them and save them from cache for later viewing.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Or just view them from the Kickstarter website? This isn't really a complicated procedure. And they release like one episode a month.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

I subscribed to the RSS feed, so I don't even have to think about it unless some news or an update comes out.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
New Secret Update was alright. Can't believe they got John Cleese to do a voice.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
So I'm guessing the big announcement at the Spike awards will be who is voicing the boy on the spaceship.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Cloud Potato posted:

So I'm guessing the big announcement at the Spike awards will be who is voicing the boy on the spaceship.

I rather doubt it. It's not going to be Horovitz and with the art style and the tone I think they'll go for a more naturalistic casting with a child actor and I am unaware of any child actors that would be an awards-announcement big name. We'll see I suppose.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Megazver posted:

New Secret Update was alright. Can't believe they got John Cleese to do a voice.

Guy has a divorce(s) to fund - he'll take any work. It's more of a matter of working out a spot in his diary than anything else.

Edit: VVV Fair enough. Considering what's going on at the moment (Python Reunion and such - he's done voice acting in some terrible CG movies lately, etc) it wouldn't surprise me if he actually was brought in. v:shobon:v

LashLightning fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Dec 7, 2013

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

LashLightning posted:

Guy has a divorce(s) to fund - he'll take any work. It's more of a matter of working out a spot in his diary than anything else.

(I was bullshitting. He's not in the game.)

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Megazver posted:

I rather doubt it. It's not going to be Horovitz and with the art style and the tone I think they'll go for a more naturalistic casting with a child actor and I am unaware of any child actors that would be an awards-announcement big name. We'll see I suppose.

Walp, I was wrong. It's Elijah Wood as the boy.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB

Megazver posted:

Walp, I was wrong. It's Elijah Wood as the boy.

Here's the video with Elijah Wood and the new trailer:
http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/u2e4fw/broken-age-vgx-2013--world-premiere-featurette

And the gameplay demo:
http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/q1ord9/broken-age-vgx-2013--live-gameplay-demo

Also Joel McHale is a loving rear end in a top hat.

AllisonByProxy fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Dec 8, 2013

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

AllisonByProxy posted:

You should see what he had to sit through before that point.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

scary ghost dog posted:

You should see what he had to sit through before that point.

He very shouldn't.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
Elijah Wood sounds good in that trailer. I can't wait for this to go up on Early Access, it's easily my most anticipated game at this point and every trailer/gameplay video just makes it look better and better (even though we've mostly only seen the same bits of the Cloud Colony). I just really hope the puzzles are up to scratch, and that it's not too easy.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Hah, they blurred out the Playboys in the background on this one.

AllisonByProxy posted:

Have you seen Joel McHale before? Snarky is his thing and he does it really well, that video was pretty funny. I didn't watch any of the SPIKE (TV FOR GUYS(TM)) VGXXXtreme awards though so maybe I missed something?

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Hah, they blurred out the Playboys in the background on this one.
Have you seen Joel McHale before? Snarky is his thing and he does it really well, that video was pretty funny. I didn't watch any of the SPIKE (TV FOR GUYS(TM)) VGXXXtreme awards though so maybe I missed something?

No, the guy was just stupid. He even brought up the loving dumb, "heh, you must have been on drugs to come up with something like this."

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

IShallRiseAgain posted:

No, the guy was just stupid. He even brought up the loving dumb, "heh, you must have been on drugs to come up with something like this."
Watching some of the videos that are online so far, he looks like the only saving grace of that trainwreck. Did anyone watch the whole thing?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Watching some of the videos that are online so far, he looks like the only saving grace of that trainwreck. Did anyone watch the whole thing?

Yes, and Joel McHale was in fact the only thing with a pulse in the video game part of that show. The Tim Schafer bit was actually one of the best segments just because you could tell that Joel was interested in talking to and messing around with someone who resembled an actual human being and not a corporate handpuppet.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Joel McHale is an unfunny hack with all the personality and comic timing of plank of wood.

Even he is too good for the VGAs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I hope Dane Cook is the host next year. That way everyone has a reason to hate every aspect of the award show.

gently caress the VGX. Maybe Ben Kuchera can cohost.

• Locked thread