Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Guys ALWAYS type "REALTOR®". It must be all in caps and have the registered trade mark symbol, otherwise you are diluting the brand and hurting the image of these elite professionals.

I know some realtors who are actually super fussy about this and I mock it endlessly. I have no respect for your trade-marked job title or your industry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

Baronjutter posted:

Guys ALWAYS type "REALTOR®". It must be all in caps and have the registered trade mark symbol, otherwise you are diluting the brand and hurting the image of these elite professionals.

I know some realtors who are actually super fussy about this and I mock it endlessly. I have no respect for your trade-marked job title or your industry.

They are ordered by the Boards to do so.

Which is why I refuse to do it whenever I type it out. One last gently caress you to my former employers. :unsmith:

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA

Why isn't the 2013 line starting where the 2012 one ended?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Mr. Wynand posted:

Why isn't the 2013 line starting where the 2012 one ended?

Presumably because the number of active listings jumped sharply between December 2012 and January 2013, just as it increased significantly between January and February.

rhazes
Dec 17, 2006

Reduce the rectal spread!
Use glory holes instead!

An official message from the British Columbia Centre for Disease Control

PT6A posted:

Presumably because the number of active listings jumped sharply between December 2012 and January 2013, just as it increased significantly between January and February.

It seems very suspect though, because the rest of the year, the fluctuations are generally seasonal. Yet every year, the big availability hike is between Dec-Jan?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I don't have time to find the graph for Vancouver, but this is precisely what happened from Dec to Jan 2013 this year. It's quite surprising to me how people perceive the new year with respect to listing their properties.

Lumius
Nov 24, 2004
Superior Awesome Sucks
Do building companies wait for the new year sometimes to list their newly finish but unsold units too? maybe for some accounting reason or tax reason.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

rhazes posted:

It seems very suspect though, because the rest of the year, the fluctuations are generally seasonal. Yet every year, the big availability hike is between Dec-Jan?

If you look at the graph, you'll see that November 2012 is barely lower than January 2013, so apparently that level of fluctuation on a month-to-month basis is quite normal. It just looks jarring because your brain looks at the discontinuity between two consecutive Januaries instead of the difference between December of one year and January of the next.

rhazes
Dec 17, 2006

Reduce the rectal spread!
Use glory holes instead!

An official message from the British Columbia Centre for Disease Control

PT6A posted:

If you look at the graph, you'll see that November 2012 is barely lower than January 2013, so apparently that level of fluctuation on a month-to-month basis is quite normal. It just looks jarring because your brain looks at the discontinuity between two consecutive Januaries instead of the difference between December of one year and January of the next.

You're absolutely right. I wish there was a graph with it lengthwise: while this one is great to show how a lot of the fluctuation is seasonal, I think the other would be more useful to see the upward trend?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I managed to convince my wife that her 'house ownership by next summer or bust' attitude was quite dangerous. Running the numbers on what it'd cost us to pay the house worth / mortgage value at renewal time trap as well as how much interest we're paying on a house put the brakes on a bit. She also did her own research that said indicated that the next 1-2 years are going to be rather unpredictable and it'd be wise to wait until summer of 2015 to buy a house. By that time the local market correction should be pretty much over and house prices will have mostly adjusted to suit.

That being said, we still think that in the end owning a house is the right decision for us. This does mean we get to save up even more for a down payment, enough that our mortgage will never be more than the house is actually worth, even if the value does drop a bit.

Crisis averted, for now.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
After seeing some of the ducktarded "renovations" done to my new rental by a hippy or something back in the 70's, I'm oddly glad that the barrier to entry is so high now.

Means I can't buy a house, but it means idiots too stupid to breathe can't either? What am I even saying, have we really reached the MAD state in Vancouver? :wtc:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Anyone looking forward to buying a reasonably priced condo in Vancouver in a few years?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
This guy claims re-zoning conflict in a lovely part of Vancouver shares the same underlying problems causing mass civil unrest in Turkey and Brazil.

http://thetyee.ca/Opinion/2013/08/26/Whose-City-Is-It/

quote:

What do the demonstrations at Gezi Park in Turkey, the mass protests in Natal, Brazil, and the uproar over recent rezoning in Vancouver's Grandview-Woodlands neighbourhood have in common?

Everything.

Throughout the world we are observing what happens when you suppress a debate about who the city is for, and how it should be built.

At Gezi Park in Istanbul, Turkey, middle-class citizens reacted angrily to a proposal to add a shopping mall to not just one public space in the city, but to many.

Their rage was not provoked by the loss of a few trees, but rather by the loss of the sense that the city had any other function than being a receptacle for capital; beholden to nothing other than the formulas used to calculate financial returns on those investments.

In Natal, Brazil, their rage was not just about the precipitating cause -- a bus fare increase -- but about a concept of the city which justified grandiose billion dollar sports stadiums on economic development grounds while the urban infrastructure they depended on to get to work got nothing. Working families, who could never afford to see events at the new stadium, felt so shamed and insulted by this hubris they nearly brought down a government.

And finally, closer to home and with none of the street demonstrations but with much of the same sense of profound shame, anger, and disappointment -- we have the example of the Grandview-Woodlands area plan.

Glass towers of betrayal

After months of collaborative engagement between stakeholders and planning staff, the city tabled a design centered around a number of tall glass towers; towers much higher than any building nearby and much higher than anything previously discussed.

Area stakeholders who had participated in good faith, who were assured again and again that in Vancouver planning was collaborative and democratic; were surprised, then ashamed of their gullibility, then outraged at the betrayal.

One expects this turn of events to have long lasting significance, and the signs are not good.

Already voices are raised, including the mayor's, equating resistance to the plan with resistance to affordable housing and sustainable transport. Opponents are thus tarred with the NIMBY brush, even though these same citizens had previously agreed to substantial increases in the population of their neighbourhood.

Their only condition? That the grain of that change has something to do with the qualities of the community that mean so much to them. A human scale, a habitable street, neighbourhood shops, community jobs close to homes, housing that they could imagine their kids living in.

But City Hall had a different idea. I understand that a plan keeping more with the physical context, scale and prevailing urban pattern of the Grandview-Woodlands area had been prepared for public review -- a plan that while at least doubling area density, attempted to respond to ideas and concerns raised over many months by community stakeholders.

But this plan was never tabled. Instead, a plan revolving around towers was the one we all saw. It's speculation on my part, but word on the street is that there may have been a feeling in City Hall that the more modest plan without towers did not demonstrate the city's commitment to density around proposed Skytrain station areas, density necessary to gain Victoria's support for the three billion dollar Broadway subway plan.

If this is true it begs the question: If the city seems willing to deform any local process to support the ambition of the subway, why is that subway so important?

My conversations with many supporters of the subway become most coherent when importance is placed against the background of what a city needs to do in order to stay in the top tier of cities globally.

Those who are most enthusiastic will explain that the City of Vancouver has blocked assets -- for example, capacities and infrastructure that could catalyze substantial high grade growth (in globally significant high growth areas, such as bio-medical industry).

Proponents are able to argue this case with some urgency, arguing as I and others have in the past that Vancouver is in danger of losing its primacy in the region to more dynamic cities to the east, in time being resigned to a role of retirement community and tourist destination. A pretty place with no real industry -- a sort of Canadian version of Venice.

Viewed from this perspective, their urgency, their obvious love for the city and the strength of their commitment to it is more than understandable -- it's laudable.

Rage is real

But this brings us back again to the parallels between the Turkish revolt over Gezi Park and the Brazilian "Bus Revolt" actions.

While the case is very strong for increasing Vancouver's economic magnetism -- for Vancouver to be one of the world's "winners" over the course of the next few decades -- the weakness of this vision is the view of what makes cities thrive. It assumes that the fickle goddess of global investment must be persuaded to direct her gaze our way for us to flourish.

But not everyone agrees. The protests in Brazil and Turkey are all in opposition to this view. The critique is that when decision makers focus exclusively (and in most cases undemocratically) on attracting global investment to achieve economic development ends, it undermines the natural rights of citizens.

The rage generated by this feeling of impotence can sometimes seem incoherent, leaderless, unfocused -- but the rage is real and it's powerful enough to threaten established governments.

This rage seems particularly acute when democratic practices have been subverted -- when leaders present a face of community connection and a commitment to consultation on the one hand, but are driven by external motivations which have only a limited connection to immediate local needs and current democratic processes.

In the case of Vancouver, it feels particularly heartbreaking to many.

Political leadership in Vancouver has been united for decades across three different leading parties and their commitment to sustainability. Beginning with NPA-led efforts in Yaletown, continuing with COPE's commitment to sustainability demonstrated notably by efforts at southeast False Creek, followed by Sam Sullivan's courage in tying density to sustainability in his EcoDensity plan, and finally now with Vision's Greenest City initiative.

The despondency, present in many conversations heard across the city, is consequent to a feeling of having lost our way. There is a feeling that the green progressive agenda has been co-opted by the same forces many thought it opposed.

Certainly it can be and has been argued that there is more than one way to measure and arrive at a sustainable city, and to ignore global realities is unwise. But absent of a legitimately democratic conversation about what kind of city best accommodates our lives and the lives of our kids, the frustrations among the electorate will likely remain palpable, and our progress towards our common goal will be halting at best.

How has Vancouver been an economic 'winner' in the past couple decades? This loving city. Only in Vancouver can a loving tech startup that pays its programmers 40k/year be considered the crown jewel of a 'thriving tech startup' 'scene'.

edit: I'm talking about loving hootsuite

namaste friends fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Aug 31, 2013

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
:lol: Vancouver as economic winner.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Lexicon posted:

:lol: Vancouver as economic winner.

Canadian Housing Bubble Thread:Glass towers of betrayal

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

etalian posted:

Canadian Housing Bubble Thread:Glass towers of betrayal

:lol: can a mod please change the topic to that?

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Starsfan posted:

well up here in Fort McMurray I pay $1,800 a month for a 1 bedroom apartment in a building constructed in 1972. It is in a nice neighbourhood though (or at least as nice as neighbourhoods get in Fort McMurray).

I was actually considering sinking $450,000 into a 2 bedroom condo unit but the advice I've received in this thread has me thinking again. It's going to suck though if there's another massive growth spurt and housing costs jump 35% in a couple of years :(

So yeah, I can't imagine New York or London are all that more expensive than Fort Mac. And if they are you have to consider what you receive for paying that much. Atleast there's solid reasons to want to live in those places beyond there not being any jobs available in your province of orgin.

I live in London, UK.

Your rent is similar to ours, although a 2 bedroom apartment here would cost closer to 550,000 - 600,000 CD$

And why yes, I am trying to move out of here.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Spuckuk posted:

I live in London, UK.

Your rent is similar to ours, although a 2 bedroom apartment here would cost closer to 550,000 - 600,000 CD$

And why yes, I am trying to move out of here.

I'm starting to like my $210k 3 bedroom home in HRM then. Too bad there are other houses in my area that are way overpriced.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

SpannerX posted:

I'm starting to like my $210k 3 bedroom home in HRM then. Too bad there are other houses in my area that are way overpriced.

In the process of buying a $150 000 3 bedroom house in Liverpool.

:britain::hf::canada:

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Spuckuk posted:

In the process of buying a $150 000 3 bedroom house in Liverpool.

:britain::hf::canada:

How is that an improvement? I'd rather move to Winnipeg before I'd move to Liverpool.

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA
It is the most disgustingly named english-speaking city that I can think of.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Cultural Imperial posted:

How is that an improvement? I'd rather move to Winnipeg before I'd move to Liverpool.

I'd rather live in a poo poo place in the UK than a poo poo place in Canada. Purely for proximity reasons.

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...

Lexicon posted:

I'd rather live in a poo poo place in the UK than a poo poo place in Canada. Purely for proximity reasons.

proximity to what? Other poo poo?

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Pixelboy posted:

proximity to what? Other poo poo?

Edinburgh, London, rest of Europe, etc.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Lexicon posted:

Spoken like someone who's never lived in a poo poo place in the UK. Spend a month living in Brixton or Barnsley and then tell me how much you love the english.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Spoken like someone who's never lived in a poo poo place in the UK.

False. I rather think Barrhead, Scotland for many years counts in that category.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Lexicon posted:

False. I rather think Barrhead, Scotland for many years counts in that category.

oh dear

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
I don't mind a tiny village pub on a cold day, but then again I am an incurable alcoholic romantic.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

It's a really lovely city though.

:edit to remove snark:

Spuckuk fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Sep 4, 2013

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Spoken like someone who's never lived in a poo poo place in the UK. Spend a month living in Brixton or Barnsley and then tell me how much you love the english.

Brixton is alright these days, somewhere like Canning Town though, yeah.

Barnsley is a tip.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://business.financialpost.com/2013/09/04/canada-housing-doomsayers/

quote:

James McKellar, academic director of the Program in Real Property at York University’s Schulich School of Business, predicts smooth waters ahead. His response to an admittedly leading question about a Canadian real estate bubble was met with, “There is no bubble so I don’t know how it can burst. Each time I share this view with the media, the story dies. So many journalists embark to prove an assumption that is false.” Later during a telephone conversation, he had more to say about journalism’s role. “The media has gone out of their way to tell people that the market is going to collapse,” McKellar says. “The good news is that the readers aren’t listening and people are still buying.”

good news indeed

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Sorry, James, but The Economist disagrees

http://www.economist.com/news/finance-and-economics/21584361-america-surges-much-europe-sinks-mixed-messages

Look at those price:rent and price:income numbers.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.straight.com/news/418221/vision-vancouver-accused-misleading-residents-use-term-affordable-housing

Or, like most vancouverites, you can measure affordability by your ability to pay the mortgage.

quote:

A report by city staff on a rezoning application that was approved by council in February is an indicator of the thinking over at 12th and Cambie. The infill development involves the construction of market rental homes at the Beach Towers complex in the West End. Rent will be $1,125 to $1,310 for a studio, $1,390 to $2,600 for a one-bedroom, and $1,900 to $2,720 for a two-bedroom.

“The rental units in this project will provide an affordable alternative to homeownership, particularly for two-bedroom units that are suitable for families with children,” staff wrote in the report. “Monthly costs of ownership are about 50 percent higher than the anticipated rents for studio and one-bedroom units and about 75 percent for two-bedroom units.”

That's a little high for 'affordable' rent isn't it?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

http://www.straight.com/news/418221/vision-vancouver-accused-misleading-residents-use-term-affordable-housing

Or, like most vancouverites, you can measure affordability by your ability to pay the mortgage.

That's a little high for 'affordable' rent isn't it?

Considering you can get a 2BR in Calgary, even now, in a decent area for $1500-1600, yes, that's very high.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Lexicon posted:

Sorry, James, but The Economist disagrees

http://www.economist.com/news/finance-and-economics/21584361-america-surges-much-europe-sinks-mixed-messages

Look at those price:rent and price:income numbers.

Plus the problem how Canada has even exceeded the basic stats vs. the US real-estate bubble such as home ownership and price vs. median 1970.

The economist even has neat graph tool here:
http://www.economist.com/blogs/dailychart/2011/11/global-house-prices

(Canada Light blue vs USA dark blue)

etalian fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Sep 4, 2013

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Holy hell, that USA graph is an absolute spectacular exemplar of 'reversion to the mean'.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Lexicon posted:

Holy hell, that USA graph is an absolute spectacular exemplar of 'reversion to the mean'.

Another interesting graph, comparing income vs house sale price:

So pretty much the Canadian bubble is happily still chugging along, while the scale of the US bubble actually drove prices below the normalized average line.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

etalian posted:

Another interesting graph, comparing income vs house sale price:

So pretty much the Canadian bubble is happily still chugging along, while the scale of the US bubble actually drove prices below the normalized average line.

I have a complaint about that graph specifically: it should be median income not average.

For example this makes it look like we are below the previous 1995 bottom:

But when using median income we see a rather different picture showing we are actually closer to 2003-2004 in prices (and accelerating upward):

(from [url=http://www.deptofnumbers.com/affordability/us/])

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Cool graph shifty pony. Is there one that exists for canada for median income?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Cool graph shifty pony. Is there one that exists for canada for median income?

I can't find it in any graph form but the price to median income levels in Canada don't look good:

quote:

Housing affordability remained little changed overall in Canada's major metropolitan markets, which have an overall rating of seriously unaffordable, at a Median Multiple of 4.7, a deterioration from 4.5 last year. However, this is principally due to a moderation of the Median Multiple in Vancouver's grossly overvalued market, from 10.6 to 9.5. Toronto sustained an increase in its median multiple from 5.1 to 5.9. Calgary also experienced a substantial increase, from 3.9 to 4.3.

http://www.demographia.com/dhi.pdf

A price to median income of 2.7 is the historic average in the US. 10.6 is loving absurd. Also that data is from 2012.