Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Ceyton posted:

Yeah, the dickship can't equip a cloak so stores will never have them for sale.

That's a great loadout though, you shouldn't have any problems winning with it.

Ah, too bad. Level 4 artillery gun owns though, especially with the automated reloader. I can't imagine what it's like with the weapon pre-igniter augment as well.

I actually almost hosed it up on the second stage. The sector had 3 repair docks, but they were all on the other side of the flagship, so I never got a chance to repair, and the drone overloads took me down to 8 hull left and killed my engine man. Fortunately I managed to destroy the final stage only taking 3 hits from the super weapon, plus I had my Rock crew member from the start with some decent backup engine skills.

If I hadn't been dumb, I would have upgraded shields to max instead of weapons and taken way less damage. I never realized how much the reactor can be a constraint because I only ever got it up to max before. I also realized that with a good boarding crew, the slug nebulae are basically tons of sectors of free scrap, plus you can explore more of the map if you stuck to the nebula.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Aug 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Sadly, the Pre-igniter does not affect the artillery beam.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Wait... The reloader does? :stare:

Goat Bastard
Oct 20, 2004

Who cares just board

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
Finished a Mantis B run today. I usually use one of the big gun ships, and getting used to not using my weapons was hard for a few tries. This time I managed to have engines, steering and shields all maxed with three gold star Mantis boarders (and a green star Rock). I got perfect weapons, too: Ion Bomb, Crystal Bomb and a Breech 2. Total of 4 points in weapons to provide massive support to my boarders. The only hard thing with the flag ship was actually doing enough damage, my beam drone wound up killing all three forms.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

To be fair, once you have 3x BL2 and the level 4 arty beam, you don't need boarding. Just drop 10 power into those, 8 power into shields, 6-7 power into engines, 2-6 into defense drones, and you're set. That's your full power complement (ideally it's only 4 power from 2 Defense 1 drones, so 10 (weapons) + 8 (shields) + 6 (engines) + 4 (drones) + 1 (oxygen) = 29 power, leaving you one free for whatever or more dodging), and you can annihilate the boss with it.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Seriously though I need to know if the reloader works with the artillery beam. If it does I'm gonna start playing the Federation Cruiser a lot more.

vvv oh my goooooooooood vvv

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Aug 30, 2013

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
I am virtually certain it does.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
Do ships not try to surrender when you board them? I had two Rock crew and flew through three Rock sectors and never got a ship unlock event.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Arnold of Soissons posted:

Do ships not try to surrender when you board them? I had two Rock crew and flew through three Rock sectors and never got a ship unlock event.

I'm think I've seen it happen, like, once, but that might have been some sort of anomaly.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I just had a ship offer surrender (that is, paying some scrap and goods to break off my attack) while I was boarding. Only seen it happen this once, though.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

They can, but the surrender trigger is tied into damage to their hull (and maybe systems?)

Usually I get the offer immediately after the boarding crew breaks a system on an already trashed ship.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Unlocked Zoltan A last night, used it to unlock Zoltan B and the Rock ship tonight.

And a win, too! I thought beam weapons sucked, but then I finally figured out they deal damage by room, not by square :doh:

Zoltan B is kinda hilarious with it's "need 100 scrap" to get actual shields, but it's got a sick weapon loadout to start. Rock A is, uh, :stare:

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
What do you mean by :stare: ? I find the Bulwark to be a nice ship for the first couple of sectors, particularly if I can pick up a teleporter, but I usually get killed beforehand.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Tias posted:

What do you mean by :stare: ? I find the Bulwark to be a nice ship for the first couple of sectors, particularly if I can pick up a teleporter, but I usually get killed beforehand.

Maybe I'm just unlucky but those missiles are gonna run out reeeeal fast. You definitely need a teleporter or something ASAP.

Heh, got that "Astronomically Low Odds" achievement too. Must have happened during the flagship fight.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Yep, Rock A is :stare: because of its extreme missile-dependency. If you get your hands on a multi-shot laser of any kind and/or a crew teleporter it immediately becomes an absolute beast, though.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

Just had a balling crystal B run where the mantis I picked up on the third jump became king of the skull throne.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
I finally got around to replacing my ancient laptop and reinstalled this game. I learnt two important facts on my first run:

1) This game is a lot faster than I thought it was.

2) Pause/unpause commanding is way more important than it used to be.

On the plus side, Rockmen don't move at glacial speeds now, so my next Rockman run hopefully shouldn't take the better part of a day.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I love when gambles pay off. After a number of unsuccessful attempts with the Bulwark, I risk buying a drone recovery arm with my first scrap, as the first store had no weapons to sell.

I later find a hull repair drone (gently caress yes). I take another risk and sell off my hull missile to buy a teleporter. The second ship I board nets me a free burst laser 1 (not great, but I'll take any free beam weapon I can get). I save up enough scrap to buy a drone control, which comes with a defense 1 (gently caress yes!).

Drone recovery arm + defense 1 is great. And hull repair is just as awesome - you don't get to keep the drone part if the repair drone gets used up, but if you only repair twice (max is 3-5 before it's used) and jump away, you *do* get to keep it. So that's 2 free hull repair per jump, and a decent chance at 3-4 free if you want to risk losing the drone part.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

eXXon posted:

Drone recovery arm + defense 1 is great. And hull repair is just as awesome - you don't get to keep the drone part if the repair drone gets used up, but if you only repair twice (max is 3-5 before it's used) and jump away, you *do* get to keep it.

I always meant to test that. Hull Repair Drone really is a game changer, even without that little bonus.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Two Defense 1 drones and a recovery arm render you essentially impervious to missiles for the entire game up to the flagship, it's nuts.

enigma74
Aug 5, 2005
a lean lobster who probably doesn't even taste good.

Angry Diplomat posted:

Two Defense 1 drones and a recovery arm render you essentially impervious to missiles for the entire game up to the flagship, it's nuts.

If you have 48% evade at the flagship, you're also going to be immune to the flagships only deadly weapon.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
This is the most frustrating game ever created.

I finally made it to within spitting distance of victory, after dozens and dozens of attempts over many hours of play. Was flying a Zoltan A and had ended up with a great loadout and crew complement - massively upgraded engines, expert pilot and gunner, two gold-star Mantis boarders, and for weapons the Halberd Beam, a Hermes missile tube and a Burst Laser 1. Also had two Defense I drones.

Phase 1 of the flagship was no problem, but Phase 2 sucked. The single defense drone the flagship has is enough to stop the Hermes missile with 100% effectiveness every time, the Burst Laser can't wear down the enemy shields enough to get a beam through or do any actual damage, the flagship's huge crew and loving ridiculous medbay heal rate make boarding an exercise in futility (except the little weapon pods), and while the enemy can eventually destroy your defense drones with weapons fire, you don't seem to be able to do the same to them. The long and short of it was that I was literally unable to kill the flagship with my loadout - but, because I disabled most of their weapons with boarding parties, they were equally unable to kill me.

It was half an hour, maybe more, of us shooting uselessly at each other while I tried every possible combination of tactics and weapons I could think of, desperately trying to find some way to shut off that loving defense drone so I could get a missile through, or dropping their shields enough to use the beam. I even beamed boarders over to the ship and had them run around the ship constantly in a ridiculous Benny Hill-style chase, stopping in the drone control room every once in a while long enough to get off one or two shots at the system. I was hoping that the damage would eventually add up enough to actually impact the system but it never did.

I finally gave up and jumped away, hoping to find an encounter with a weapon drop, a store, anything. Ran into a Rebel fighter as soon as I jumped away and was promptly destroyed by them. :shepicide:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Insufficient firepower is a death sentence against the flagship. The Hermes missile is alright but you really need a solid bank of laser weaponry - ideally a Burst Laser 2 and something else. You want to be shooting a minimum of four lasers with each combined volley, so that you have a non-zero chance of bringing their shields down enough for beams to penetrate and start loving systems up. Other excellent ideas include bombs, because bombs don't give a gently caress about shields and can damage the enemy shield system enough for your lasers to try to chip through.

Hell, it's possible for insufficient firepower to kill you but good even before you reach the flagship. Running into a random enemy ship with 4 or 5 shields and really nasty weaponry can end your run in a hurry if you have no way to punch through those shields.

Goat Bastard
Oct 20, 2004

Mister Bates posted:

I even beamed boarders over to the ship and had them run around the ship constantly in a ridiculous Benny Hill-style chase, stopping in the drone control room every once in a while long enough to get off one or two shots at the system. I was hoping that the damage would eventually add up enough to actually impact the system but it never did.

Damage to a room resets as soon as all invaders leave, so unfortunately this tactic was doomed from the start.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Angry Diplomat posted:

Insufficient firepower is a death sentence against the flagship. The Hermes missile is alright but you really need a solid bank of laser weaponry - ideally a Burst Laser 2 and something else. You want to be shooting a minimum of four lasers with each combined volley, so that you have a non-zero chance of bringing their shields down enough for beams to penetrate and start loving systems up. Other excellent ideas include bombs, because bombs don't give a gently caress about shields and can damage the enemy shield system enough for your lasers to try to chip through.

More importantly, bombs don't give a gently caress about defense drones. If I go into the Flagship with a Defense Drone I and some sort of bomb launcher, then I feel really good about my odds, especially on phase 2 which is by far the most difficult.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away
Four mantises, three crystals and a rock man walk into a bar..

Easiest game I ever played :unsmigghh:

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
I started a Fed ship run to try to unlock a ship or two, but I swear that I never see Rock or Zoltan ships when I am in those sectors. My ship was doing great but my unlock luck was terrible. More than half way through and nothing. Then all of a sudden Crystal pod, next jump is Zoltan controlled or homeworld. Find the lab one jump before the Feds would get it, only one sector before the end, holy poo poo Rock Homeworld. 100% legit Crystal Ship unlock. :toot:

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I ballsed up such a good Normal run with the Fed Cruiser B. At the very start of sector 3 I had six crewmembers: 3 engi, 1 mantis, 1 rock, 1 slug. I got two decent weapon drops (pike beam and a 3 shot laser) and bought a teleporter and level 3 shields. I rampaged through the first few jumppoints in a giddy haze of destruction until it all went so horribly wrong.
I destroyed a small mantis ship with my boarders (the rock and mantis) still on board. This is a common mistake with stupid commanders who forget to turn off the artillery beam, but my stupidity ran deeper. I actually took great care to keep an eye on it and turn it off near the end of the battle, but I neglected to notice I'd left my pikebeam on autofire.
The very next jump I was fighting a huge mantis ship and got boarded by 5 mantises. They ate everyone. :shepicide:

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Finally defeated the flagship. Zoltan-A, final weapons loadout was the Halberd Beam, two Hull Laser I's and a Small Bomb. I took a total of two hull damage across all three phases. :black101: Upgraded engines and a skilled pilot is really unbelievably useful.

I don't think I have ever fistpumped harder than when that fucker finally went down.

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

Mister Bates posted:

Finally defeated the flagship. Zoltan-A, final weapons loadout was the Halberd Beam, two Hull Laser I's and a Small Bomb. I took a total of two hull damage across all three phases. :black101: Upgraded engines and a skilled pilot is really unbelievably useful.

I don't think I have ever fistpumped harder than when that fucker finally went down.

Try it again on normal.

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich

I started a Fed ship run to try to unlock a ship or two, but I swear that I never see Rock or Zoltan ships when I am in those sectors. My ship was doing great but my unlock luck was terrible. More than half way through and nothing. Then all of a sudden Crystal pod, next jump is Zoltan controlled or homeworld. Find the lab one jump before the Feds would get it, only one sector before the end, holy poo poo Rock Homeworld. 100% legit Crystal Ship unlock. :toot:

Congratulations!

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

thunderspanks posted:

Try it again on normal.

I was cruising for a Normal win last night - Mantis B, four-Mantis death squad, burst laser/ion blast/anti-bio beam loadout, good upgrades - and then I accidentally clicked on the close window button while trying to hit the ship button because my mouse is dying. No warning dialogue, no "are you sure" popup, just five sectors of good luck and meticulous play deleted immediately.

I just sort of looked silently at the FTL icon for a minute before turning off my monitor.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Mister Bates posted:

This is the most frustrating game ever created.

I finally made it to within spitting distance of victory, after dozens and dozens of attempts over many hours of play. Was flying a Zoltan A and had ended up with a great loadout and crew complement - massively upgraded engines, expert pilot and gunner, two gold-star Mantis boarders, and for weapons the Halberd Beam, a Hermes missile tube and a Burst Laser 1. Also had two Defense I drones.

Phase 1 of the flagship was no problem, but Phase 2 sucked. The single defense drone the flagship has is enough to stop the Hermes missile with 100% effectiveness every time, the Burst Laser can't wear down the enemy shields enough to get a beam through or do any actual damage, the flagship's huge crew and loving ridiculous medbay heal rate make boarding an exercise in futility (except the little weapon pods), and while the enemy can eventually destroy your defense drones with weapons fire, you don't seem to be able to do the same to them. The long and short of it was that I was literally unable to kill the flagship with my loadout - but, because I disabled most of their weapons with boarding parties, they were equally unable to kill me.

It was half an hour, maybe more, of us shooting uselessly at each other while I tried every possible combination of tactics and weapons I could think of, desperately trying to find some way to shut off that loving defense drone so I could get a missile through, or dropping their shields enough to use the beam. I even beamed boarders over to the ship and had them run around the ship constantly in a ridiculous Benny Hill-style chase, stopping in the drone control room every once in a while long enough to get off one or two shots at the system. I was hoping that the damage would eventually add up enough to actually impact the system but it never did.

I finally gave up and jumped away, hoping to find an encounter with a weapon drop, a store, anything. Ran into a Rebel fighter as soon as I jumped away and was promptly destroyed by them. :shepicide:

Always kill the crew on phase 1. If you don't insufficient firepower will kill you, even if you have sufficient firepower.

Dice Dice Baby
Aug 30, 2004
I like "faggots"

Powercrazy posted:

Always kill the crew on phase 1.

Actually don't unless you have the means to disable their medbay AND their cloak AND keep both systems disabled lest you find yourself overwhelmed by the crew in a broken medbay while and unable to teleport back

A funner way to kill the crew is to wittle the boss ship to 2-3 hull and set the cloak room and stealth room and fire, wait for their crew to go put out the fires THEN finish off the boss ship... and guess what happens to crew-members that happen to be in the part of the ship that gets broken off? :riker:

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I'm assuming that by the time you get to the boss you know how to manage your boarding parties, but yea, the ship breaking off thing is cool too. But the ship can function fairly well with only a crew of 3, especially on the drone stage because of the system repair drones.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away
:ironicat:

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

i dont get it? You have a burst III, enough energy to power it and 2 shield. should be easy enough?

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

ughhhh posted:

i dont get it? You have a burst III, enough energy to power it and 2 shield. should be easy enough?

He only has enough power for a 1 power gun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

KNITS MY FEEDS posted:

He only has enough power for a 1 power gun.

:doh: well you could try throwing boarding drones at the zoltan field.

• Locked thread