Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I know paradox hasn't stepped up officially, but are there any mods that improve or totally rework how broken the system is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FingersMaloy
Dec 23, 2004

Fuck! That's Delicious.

jpmeyer posted:

Vassals cannot form a title of the same level as their liege. You'll need to first declare independence (and win the independence war) before you can create the Empire of Italy.

Cool. I control about 1/5 of the empire and am its most powerful member by far so when it comes time to break out and up my rank it shouldn't be a problem. They're providing my with a nice shield from some giant neighbors for the time being.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
I've been playing a Wessex -> England game in preparation for an EU4 conversion, and it's kind of weird how knowing that you'll be sticking around for 1444-1821 changes the way you think of the game.

Things have been going swimmingly in the British Isles themselves-- I successfully fought off the Norse, formed England, ate Wales, and seized the northern De Jure English provinces from a surprisingly strong Kingdom of Alba (Irish-culture Scotland). I've weathered some truly stupid civil wars, had my heir inherit a duchy in the Byzantine Empire and come back Greek Orthodox, and then managed to convert all of England to Orthodoxy during his reign. Absorbing Scotland/Alba will probably take a while, but I have until 1821 to get it done, so whatever. I'm pacing myself.

So while I kick back and enjoy the fruits of my labor in England, what things can I do to discourage blobbing on the Continent? I'm particularly concerned about this weird Karling mega-Bavaria-- partly because it's huge and also gently caress the Karlings, but it's also some of the ugliest borders I've seen in a Paradox game-- It's southern Germany and northern France linked by a thin skein of provinces cutting Burgundy in half. Every so often, the French half breaks away for a civil war, and Western Francia/France or their component duchies re-emerge, so I figure it's not that stable, but in the end it always re-congeals into mega-Bavaria.

I've killed a few Bavarian kings, but it hasn't helped that much. Should I just keep on stabbing Karlings, or are there other things I can do to try to restore sanity to Western Europe from Fortress Britain?

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Baronjutter posted:

I know paradox hasn't stepped up officially, but are there any mods that improve or totally rework how broken the system is?

When I play, I set all Decadence gain to 0. I find that Islamic realms are sufficiently kept in check by the fact that whenever a new ruler succeeds his father, he tends to have 15+ brothers/cousins/uncles that all have Strong Claims on his titles, and unruly vassals are very quick to press them even if the relatives in question aren't landed/able to raise substantial opposition on their own.

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

:10bux: + :awesomelon: = :roboluv:
- a sound investment!
Well, a random kinsman giving me +1.6 decadence per month appeared from nowhere and before I noticed what happened my carefully lowered decadence of 61 ballooned up to 82 and this happened.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I've been playing the game for 82 hours and I didn't know that capturing close relatives boosts warscore. Found this out accidentally when the queen of Great Moravia declared war on me to press her son's claim. Beat her with the help of lots of mercenaries, promptly declared war back while I still outnumbered her, and found myself sitting pretty at 50% warscore right off the bat. :smug:

e: you know, it's really great when your wife decides to send your son to a guardian who's not of your culture and has poo poo diplomacy, but who is a duke of two provinces about to be overrun by a major power.

StashAugustine fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Aug 30, 2013

Dec 30, 2008
More Byzantine succession problems! My current ruler has had 6 daughters but only the most recent one was born in purple. Yet the heir to the kingdom is still my first daughter, followed by her son, followed only then by my purple daughter. Why would this be the case?

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Guest posted:

More Byzantine succession problems! My current ruler has had 6 daughters but only the most recent one was born in purple. Yet the heir to the kingdom is still my first daughter, followed by her son, followed only then by my purple daughter. Why would this be the case?

I believe that daughters with sons goes before daughters without sons in primogeniture.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Trundel posted:

Well, a random kinsman giving me +1.6 decadence per month appeared from nowhere and before I noticed what happened my carefully lowered decadence of 61 ballooned up to 82 and this happened.

The Mamluks are displeased, just like in real life!

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Baronjutter posted:

CK2+ replaces the vanilla system for an entirely event driven system, also no decadence invasions, just morale and tax drops.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
Is CK2+ compatible with the EU4 converter?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Fintilgin posted:

Yeah, I wish they'd do a Sword of Islam II or something and take a completely fresh look at Muslims from the ground up to make them as fun as Norse. In a game that's all about family and interpersonal relationships a mechanism that requires you to keep your family tiny and kill them all all the time is pretty bad. I don't find Muslims fun to play with the current mechanics at all.

Isn't that how Ottoman succession actually worked though?

Not so sure about previous muslim kingdoms.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Kainser posted:

I believe that daughters with sons goes before daughters without sons in primogeniture.

Really? Is this still in effect anywhere today?

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
The novelty of being Orthodox England has worn off and I'd rather not run the risk of being stuck in Eastern tech (and missing out on neat Reformation events) in EU4. How on earth do I get back to being Catholic? I've been Orthodox for nearly a century and all of my provinces and major vassals converted ages ago, but I also have like 300 years of game time left to fix this.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
Bring Catholics to start tutoring heirs and other folk. There's a chance wards will take their tutor's religion. Catholics will start popping up here and there. Once you get a Catholic heir from tutoring, start demanding conversions and sending your chaplain to convert provinces.

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

Rincewind posted:

The novelty of being Orthodox England has worn off and I'd rather not run the risk of being stuck in Eastern tech (and missing out on neat Reformation events) in EU4. How on earth do I get back to being Catholic? I've been Orthodox for nearly a century and all of my provinces and major vassals converted ages ago, but I also have like 300 years of game time left to fix this.

AFAIK your religion is irrelevant, it's your tech levels in CKII that determine your EUIV tech group.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

EightDeer posted:

AFAIK your religion is irrelevant, it's your tech levels in CKII that determine your EUIV tech group.

I don't think this is true, Muslims either get put in the Muslim tech group or the Ottoman tech group if they hold lots of land in Europe (although I've heard that doesn't work properly). Plus a guy playing reformed Tengri Hungary got put in the Chinese group for some completely unknown reason, despite being the most advanced nation, though this may have been changed(/fixed) now.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Cantorsdust posted:

Is CK2+ compatible with the EU4 converter?

Mostly. There are a few kinks that will.need a modded converter to fix, but the CK2+ team is working on that.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Arbite posted:

Really? Is this still in effect anywhere today?
I have no clue, I just remember seeing it in a loading screen tip. It does seem to be a pretty odd rule.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Allyn posted:

I don't think this is true, Muslims either get put in the Muslim tech group or the Ottoman tech group if they hold lots of land in Europe (although I've heard that doesn't work properly). Plus a guy playing reformed Tengri Hungary got put in the Chinese group for some completely unknown reason, despite being the most advanced nation, though this may have been changed(/fixed) now.

Has anyone found any reliable information on what determines tech levels yet? I've skimmed the Paradox forums to no avail.

Also, are there cultural or religious restrictions on reforming the Roman Empire if manage to inherit Byzantium?

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

fool_of_sound posted:

Also, are there cultural or religious restrictions on reforming the Roman Empire if manage to inherit Byzantium?

The potential tag (i.e. what it takes for the decision to show up) is:
has_dlc = "Legacy of Rome"
age = 16
prisoner = no
NOT = { trait = incapable }
has_landed_title = e_byzantium
religion_group = christian

all of which is self-explanatory. So nothing cultural, no. Guess Byzantium doesn't even need to be your primary title :pwn: although I can't remember if you can hold multiple empire titles or not so maybe that's irrelevant

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

You can hold multiple empire titles, there's just no reason to (aside from not wanting to piss off hundreds of characters by destroying the extras).

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth
My uber-Caliphate run's beautiful (de jure) borders were ruined by the drat HRE.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

EightDeer posted:

Sufficiently high tech levels can get you into Western, but the bar must be pretty high since my tech was well ahead of the curve and when I did a test conversion around 1080 or so, England was Eastern. In an earlier test, before I went Orthodox, it was Western.

Kind of strange that I managed to fully orthodox-ize England without any real pushback, but I had a run of three really good rulers (Victoria, who was Catholic but left behind a rich, large, and stable England, her Greek Orthodox grandson, and his Anglo-Saxon orthodox grandson-- the early deaths of my eldest sons actually helped since it meant I had three young adults take the throne in a row, with very long reigns as a result. Hopefully all of that means that if I manage to get a Catholic heir again converting back to Catholicism won't be too bad. Although I guess if it is bad, that'll be fun too! Since my only real goal is that England still exists in 1444, so I can afford to gently caress around.

EDIT: Anyway, I'm a lot less concerned about tech levels than I am about wanting to see how the Reformation works, anyway.

Empress Theonora fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Aug 30, 2013

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

You can really easily edit your tech level after you export as well so there's that. Sorry EU4 editor, my vast scandinavian empire that includes the netherlands and most of northern germany and is multiple levels ahead of everyone else isn't getting getting a tech-penalty because you think non-christians are backwards savages.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Baronjutter posted:

You can really easily edit your tech level after you export as well so there's that. Sorry EU4 editor, my vast scandinavian empire that includes the netherlands and most of northern germany and is multiple levels ahead of everyone else isn't getting getting a tech-penalty because you think non-christians are backwards savages.

Which bits should I edit to do that? Even if England re-Catholicizes, there are other Orthodox/Pagan/whatever countries in my game that really should be Western.

While we're talking editing conversions, I remember reading somewhere that you could set another country in your conversion to be the HRE and/or use the EU4 HRE system. Is this true? If the HRE never forms, I'd still like to use the mechanics somewhere-- maybe in the Byzantine Empire, which has been elective for 200 years for some reason.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Yeah if you go to CK2/common/eu4_converter, it's in defines.lua. I haven't tried messing around with it though so you're on your own beyond that

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Is it possible to bend the knee to the Aztecs? Biding your time as a loyal vassal until the doomstalk falters and then leading a a faction revolt to become ruler of the Aztecs could be really fun times.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Allyn posted:

Yeah if you go to CK2/common/eu4_converter, it's in defines.lua. I haven't tried messing around with it though so you're on your own beyond that

Terrific! It looks like flipping that over to e_byz or whatever will be pretty easy if the Byzantines are still around in 1444. It warms the cockles of my heart to see the Byzantines doing so well, but having them survive as an enormous blob that rules everything from Jerusalem to southern Italy might make for a boring game-- making them the HRE would mix things up a bit without having to just load as them and release all their vassals or something.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

CK2+ Release: 2.03.1 (mirror)

Changelog:
2.03.1:
- EU4 Converter compatibility added
- Many many many Gallewa fixes
- Added missing ambitions to the list of accepted ambitions
- Many many many shattered world fixes
- Fixed the Hungary event
- Fixed the CTD on save load
- Fixed the Prepared Invasion bugs
- Realigned West African portrait positions
- Nudged the Almafi port to not overlap with a neighboring port
- Fixed rulers being flagged as rebels
- Fixed a coat of arms problem
- Implemented Flavorful Titular Titles as an optional module
- Finished Implementing No Hassles Vassals (with our own little twist)
- Several verification tweaks
- Changed the map in Scandinavia to make finland harder to gobble up
- Added Kingdom of Iceland to give Iceland a slightly better chance of surviving
- Moved Friscian Norse Holy Site to Iceland
- Added holdings to Iceland
- Implemented our Dynasty Range to make it easier for other mods to be compatible
- Implemented our Character Range for same reason as above
- Implemented our Event Range for the same reason as above
- Several localization linkage break fixes
- Dropped Planned Invasion Human to AI level modifiers because human invasions were too big
- Removed separation of Planned Invasion AI and Human modifiers
- Updated Maintenance Man to have appropriate employer in the Old Gods start
- Added a bookmark to Divided Muslims

And with this, we've decided it's stable enough to stop calling it a beta. Converter is also done unless people find errors.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
I'm count of Bourbon(with some additional counties), my liege is duke of Aquitaine who is a drooling moron child hated by all. I figured it's a good time to move up in the world and become an independent duke, but I can't do it alone. I just need some help so, if I start an independence faction I could get a few dudes on my side and we could make a run at it but I can't create any factions at all. What governs when you can form independence factions? Playing vanilla 1.11.

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Aug 31, 2013

londonmoose
Mar 22, 2011

Captain Beans posted:

I'm count of Bourbon(with some additional counties), my liege is duke of Aquitaine who is a drooling moron child hated by all. I figured it's a good time to move up in the world and become an independent duke, but I can't do it alone. I just need some help so, if I start an independence faction I could get a few dudes on my side and we could make a run at it but I can't create any factions at all. What governs when you can form independence factions? Playing vanilla 1.11.

As far as I understand it, to be able to declare independence, you need to hold land that is not a de jure part of your liege's realm, or have a different religion and/or culture to your liege. I'm away from my computer, so I can't check, but I remember something like that being requirements for granting independence for vassals, so I assume it's similar for creating independence factions. I think you might be able to declare a regular independence war no matter what, but then you would be very much on your own.

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

You and the rest of the new CKII+ team are awesome. Just thought you should know that.

WilliamAnderson posted:

- Updated Maintenance Man to have appropriate employer in the Old Gods start

Who the gently caress is Maintenance Man?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
I vaguely remember there being some guy used for some maintenance events, who is instantly killed early on. I remember him coming up, because he was actually playable and someone brought his death up.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.

EightDeer posted:

Who the gently caress is Maintenance Man?

Why, he's a clerk with the Adjustment Team, of course.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Bloodly posted:

I vaguely remember there being some guy used for some maintenance events, who is instantly killed early on. I remember him coming up, because he was actually playable and someone brought his death up.

I remember that too! I think he lived in Iceland...

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

What is this no hassle vassals that comes with CK2+ now? Is this what all the strange options on my intrigue screen are for?

EightDeer posted:

You and the rest of the new CKII+ team are awesome. Just thought you should know that.

Echoing this sentiment. I tried going back to vanilla and project balance, but I missed CK2+'s plots and factions too much. So glad it's back.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Hey, CK2+ Team, did/would you guys incorporate echopapa's province/title name mod? It adds extra names for pretty much every title/province based on what culture is holding what title (for instance the Kingdom of Brittany would be "Bretannie" if Norman; "Bretagne" if Frankish; "Breizh" if Breton; "An Bhriotain" if Irish; "Breton Vian" if Cornish; and "Bretanha" if Occitan). I've been trying to merge/update the mod for the new CK2+ but it's slow going since I suck at modding (granted, this amounts to a lot of copy and pasting, not really modding).

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Make it optional. I hate culture specific names; I never know where anything is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Riso posted:

Make it optional. I hate culture specific names; I never know where anything is.

I dunno, it's pretty easy to figure out where everything is as the names are pretty similar, so long as you have a vague grasp on geography. Ex. Sicily's called "Cisille", Siqilliya, and Sikelias depending on if the title holder's Norman, Arabic, or Greek respectively. All those names are pretty similar.

But yeah, I'm about 1/4th of the way through the landed_titles.txt, but I'm modifying only the Flavorful Titular Titles's landed_titles.txt, so it'll be optional anyway. I'll share the modified file when I'm done.

• Locked thread