Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

That Fisitron came up on Kapow and I was going to ask what it's supposed to be. Some kind of Ironhide variant?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

Gammatron 64 posted:

Hahaha, yeah, right. Like Bumblebee being a small car with low self confidence and not R2-D2 Snake Eyes muscle car and Optimus Prime not being a psycho who rips off faces and lets human cities get attacked to prove a point, right?

You're going too in-depth even with that. Bumblebee is a yellow car with a human friend. Optimus is a leader truck who sounds like John Wayne. Starscream is a traitorous plane. That's as far as it goes, conceptually. Dinobots are dinosaurs who turn into robots is on the same level as those character descriptions.

quote:

"Hasbro won't let Bay take liberties." "Too much of a radical risk!" Hahahahahahaha

What exactly are you quoting there? Because it's obviously not me. Nobody knows how much control Hasbro has over anything, but I would bet they have some input, and I'm going to guess they wouldn't be all too keen on trying to sell toys of Dinobots that don't turn into robots. That didn't work out too well for them on Supreme RotF Devastator. And if anything can sway Bay, it's "We would make more money if..."

Keldroc fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Aug 29, 2013

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Goldskull posted:

That Fisitron came up on Kapow and I was going to ask what it's supposed to be. Some kind of Ironhide variant?

It' supposed to be (G1) Ironfist, who used the nickname "fisitron" in the comics (I think).

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Blackheart posted:

It' supposed to be (G1) Ironfist, who used the nickname "fisitron" in the comics (I think).
It was his pen name since what he was writing about wasn't precisely kosher with high command or something.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Goldskull posted:

"Fisitron"/Ironfist was a character in the recent Last Stand of the Wreckers comic miniseries. It's a good read if you haven't yet, and it features third-string Autobots dying valiantly for stupid reasons, or stupidly for valiant reasons. It's also the first official Transformers fiction that James Roberts wrote (alongside Nick Roche), which should make the previous sentence unsurprising if you've read any of MTMTE.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I just wish they'd reprint that Megatron/Calvin Johnson t-shirt, I'd love one of those

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

SpikeMcclane posted:

I think movie Ravage looked better than just about anything else, so a tiny bit of hope?

oh wait, laserbeak's face...
I won't have anyone saying bad things about Laserbeak's robot owl skull face :colbert:

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

U.T. Raptor posted:

I won't have anyone saying bad things about Laserbeak's robot owl skull face :colbert:

The face was okay, but why did he (along with many other Decepticons in the Bay sequels) constantly leak goo? The Decepticons were inexplicably slimy in RotF and DotM. Lack of maintenance? Just trying to make them eeeeeeeevil by being disgusting? Always thought it was weird that they seemed to be almost cyborgs in terms of how much goo they leaked. The Autobots don't drool.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Remmeber we got the dark of the moon pointless skydiving scene because bay saw them on TV while filming and thought they were cool so he added an entirely pointless sequence last minute. I just hope we don't get something stupid like Truckasarus or something that's just vaguely dinosaur related and it gets passed off as Dinobots.

I just hope movie Dinobots means we'll get more Generations Dinobots. Because We have like three Dinobots throughout Classics all of them Grimlock. I want a triceratops, a voyager triceratops. I'm sick of having a billion bumblebees, but I would not get sick of a billion dinobots.

And the minicon teams do not count, they're too small to be true dinobots. :colbert:

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

WendigoJohnson posted:

Remmeber we got the dark of the moon pointless skydiving scene because bay saw them on TV while filming and thought they were cool so he added an entirely pointless sequence last minute. I just hope we don't get something stupid like Truckasarus or something that's just vaguely dinosaur related and it gets passed off as Dinobots.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

WendigoJohnson posted:

If Truckasaurus happens to be Grimlock hiding for all this time, I'm pretty sure that would be next-level brilliant.

Optimist Prime
Jul 30, 2007

Any of you been to Slagacon before? If so, would you say it's worth a four-hour drive? TIA.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
I've been far away from everything, and completely missed the TRU launch of Soundwave. Is there some cache of them sitting somewhere, or a buying strategy you guys would recommend?

Is there any difference between the Takara version, other than the 4 added tapes?

Thanks for any tips, before I head off to eBay, I guess?

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Cobalt60 posted:

I've been far away from everything, and completely missed the TRU launch of Soundwave. Is there some cache of them sitting somewhere, or a buying strategy you guys would recommend?

Is there any difference between the Takara version, other than the 4 added tapes?

Thanks for any tips, before I head off to eBay, I guess?

Slightly different paintapps here and there and yellow visor instead of red. Nothing really major, I think.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Optimist Prime posted:

Any of you been to Slagacon before? If so, would you say it's worth a four-hour drive? TIA.

No, but if it's only a four hour drive you might as well go, man! I know it's existed for a few years now. Report back to us on how good it is.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
You know if I was into doing custom bots and all that, I would get an extra DC-02 Geminus and turn him into a MTMTE style Tailgate. All you'd need is a new head and some torso modifications. Maybe an arm mod to really sell it. Is this something that has already been done? I can't be the first to have this idea. (Maybe the first unmotivated non-customizer)

Also I checked out Target today (I've been cheating the system and buying toys online :ssh:) and the selection was really depressing. Also I had no idea how massive the new Optimus and Predaking were going to be.

e:
ok I kind of forgot about the wheels on Tailgate... I am dumb. Geminus could be a relatively easy 'cybertron' alt-mode Tailgate, I guess.

Proof of concept:

TheDK fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Aug 31, 2013

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Finally got around to opening and assembling all of these guys.

I love the individual robots, and the plane modes are really the stars of the show for being pretty accurate real-world jets that are nice and big, probably about halfway between Deluxe and Voyager sizes. The combined form, however, is super fiddly, and Silverbolt's hips have ratchets in them that basically make any stance that isn't a 45 degree angle spreadeagle really tough to pull off. That's why he's in such a weird pose in the picture, basically an attempt to make an action pose that incorporates the hip ratchet problem. According to TFW, you can open up Silverbolt, take out the ratchets, and the hips don't lose any strength and can be set at any position you choose, so I may do that to solve the issue. It should also be pretty obvious that the jets' wings don't really have anywhere to go on the arms that doesn't get in the way, and the chestbot doesn't really cut it, although thankfully mine stays on very well. The Wings of Uranos add-on set is going to pretty much be a requirement.

Overall, as a huge fan of jet fighters, I don't really regret buying them, but as a combiner fan, it's not what it should be, especially in comparison to the far less fiddly Hercules by the same company. If you want some cool individual Aerialbots, I give the set a mild thumbs up depending on how much of a fan you are of the jets and how much the cartoon inaccurate faces bother you. If you want a kickass Superion, well, this isn't it, to be perfectly honest. Size is great, but you better not be touching it much once you get it how you want it. I think these guys will be spending most of their time in individual jet modes.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Huh. I'm not crazy about that Superion head.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

Huh. I'm not crazy about that Superion head.

It's a very strange choice of expression. He seems really unhappy and disappointed, like James Roberts has continually killed one of his favorite characters.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
He also looks like a bunny rabbit.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

It's kinda sad since I think the four limbs are pretty awesome bots in both modes. It's the whole package that's so unconvincing for me. But I feel a bit of an hypocrite saying that because I'm now gonna talk about FoC Bruticus:

I just got the platinum edition Grimlock vs. Brut and, base mold flaws aside (there's no point in discussing this point further; one either hates them or not) I'm rather impressed. There's a lot of small details and paint apps in the set. When I saw Grimlock in pictures I thought the chrome gold chest was way too sickly yellow and dirty-looking, but in hand it looks fantastic. If you're like me and still enjoy these six figures despite their obvious shortcomings, i have to recommend this set. Even the box is fantastic, I usually drop packagings in the trash except for MP boxes, but this one is very lovingly detailed and shiny so I saved it. And the price was alright for me.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
So a Walmart here has the Wreckers/ruination wave all clearanced already.

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

The_Doctor posted:

So a Walmart here has the Wreckers/ruination wave all clearanced already.

Are they about $13?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

strangehamster posted:

Are they about $13?

$12 maybe?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Don't suppose there have been retail sightings of the Triple Changers, have there?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

BizarroAzrael posted:

Don't suppose there have been retail sightings of the Triple Changers, have there?

Only at Orbital comics in central London at about £35 each. To which I said 'Nay sirruh!' and then bought Orion Pax and Megatron instead for 15 quid each like a fool. In my defence, I didn't know I was coming to the states any time soon.

By the way, someone talk me out of buying the generations legends. I bought Bumblebee a few weeks ago and I like him because to me he's in scale with the deluxes. He just needs a walking stick. But the Starscream and Optimus look good..

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Aww, my Hoist's gun assembly is round the wrong way. How hard to get out are pins?

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

The_Doctor posted:

Aww, my Hoist's gun assembly is round the wrong way. How hard to get out are pins?

A lot less hard than it sounds, but get a practice-bot, a pin punch (or a small screwdriver if you're mega lazy), a hammer, and just a little practice first. Then you check both ends of the pin, and start hammering it out from the smoother side (the rougher end has all the friction bits that keep it in place). The hardest part is holding a bot firmly in place, properly positioning the pin punch, and then accurately swinging a hammer at these other two things. I suggest getting someone you trust to help you.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

BizarroAzrael posted:

I picked up a Sandstorm and a Springer at my local (South Dakota) WalMart recently; but they only had one of each.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Local Target had 3 of each of them on Thursday.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I thought I mentioned I was in the UK, sorry.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

So, it appears that "generations" is finally living up to his name and including more non-G1 characters. Not only do we have Rhinox and Armada Starscram coming up but apparently this is an upcoming deluxe wave (to be confirmed): Rattrap, Nightbeat, Crosscut and Tankor. Crosscut is apparenty a Skids remold/repaint, and who knows if Tankor is the Beast machines version, but he could be anything since they use that name pretty much randomly.

catch22
Feb 17, 2006

Blackheart posted:

Rattrap, Nightbeat, Crosscut and Tankor. Crosscut is apparenty a Skids remold/repaint, and who knows if Tankor is the Beast machines version, but he could be anything since they use that name pretty much randomly.

I hope this is a new mold and not a BB repaint

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Blackheart posted:

So, it appears that "generations" is finally living up to his name and including more non-G1 characters. Not only do we have Rhinox and Armada Starscram coming up but apparently this is an upcoming deluxe wave (to be confirmed): Rattrap, Nightbeat, Crosscut and Tankor. Crosscut is apparenty a Skids remold/repaint, and who knows if Tankor is the Beast machines version, but he could be anything since they use that name pretty much randomly.

Rattrap and Nightbeat? loving yyyyeeeeeeeeessssssss!

Also, I found some footage of the dinobots in the movie:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-QWFFb5Fow
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFSIZ5mPII0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IltI6vrBCo

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

Gammatron 64 posted:

Rattrap and Nightbeat? loving yyyyeeeeeeeeessssssss!

Also, I found some footage of the dinobots in the movie:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-QWFFb5Fow
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFSIZ5mPII0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IltI6vrBCo

Those look great, finally a complete set of them all!

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Seriously though, those look awesome for my little nephew. I gotta track some down.

EDIT: Oh cool there's even more than just the ones in the videos.

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

SpazmasterX posted:

Seriously though, those look awesome for my little nephew. I gotta track some down.

I could get a Generations/IDW Deluxe or this guy, both are $15?

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=13103920

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Look at this loving thing! I will be the best uncle ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZjAsfgsXDU

EDIT: poo poo my little sisters would probably have a blast with something like this too.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

SpazmasterX posted:

Screw the nephew, I sorta want some for myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

First video: "Huh! A therizinosaurus, that's pretty goddamn obscure for a kid's toy..."
Second video: "WHAT THE gently caress IS A STYGIMOLOCH :catstare:"

e: Man, pachycephalosaurus got the poo poo end of the stick for naming in its clade. "King dragon." "Demon from the River Styx." "Thick-headed lizard."

Phy fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Sep 2, 2013