Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal

Bonobos posted:

Not sure if I should ask here or in the mouse thread, but since we are talking software...how is the logitech software for OSX? I know a few years ago the consensus was to just use STEETMOUSE or similar, but supposedly their drivers / software has gotten better?

Or is it still a buggy mess? Mouse is a G500S btw.

Their gaming software stuff that just came out a few months ago is horrible. Not entirely sure how good their normal mouse software is these days though since my mouse is not supported in it (G700).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
The only issue with upgrades I've found is that your first Time Machine backup after the upgrade is incredibly slow.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

SRQ posted:

How does in place OSX updating work?
I want to install 10.9 beta on my shiny new retina 15'', but I don't want to have to reinstall everything I just installed. I assume it keeps the apps and I won't have weird driver problems?
I've always been shy of in place updating since it was a clusterfuck with 90s windows.

It's a beta, so you should assume you're going to have problems.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

wolffenstein posted:

It's a beta, so you should assume you're going to have problems.

If I give it a partition after the original 10.8 partition, install it, then copy my stuff over can I merge the old partition back in even if it's in "front" of it?

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
I'm gonna say No just based on you willingly being dumb enough to install a developer beta for daily driving uses.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

I used it for months on my 2012, it's far superior to 10.8 as of around dp3 or so.
You're not a nice person.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

lostleaf posted:

I have the late 2008 aluminum model with 9400. It can run mountain lion I just didn't see any benefit to the upgrade to mountain lion. Mavericks seems like there are core system improvements so if anyone has tried it on an older model I would like to hear if there's tangible improvements.

Oh yea, I forgot about those - I used to own one so I should have remembered. I ran ML on mine and it seemed fine, but it would be nice to get some battery savings from Mavericks.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

SRQ posted:

I used it for months on my 2012, it's far superior to 10.8 as of around dp3 or so.
You're not a nice person.
Then you should ask your questions in the ADC forums, where you won't be breaking NDA.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Fine then smartass.

On a theoretical macbook, if 10.7 is installed and I want to upgrade to 10.8 by installing it side by side, how would I later on roll the 10.7 partition into the 10.8 one?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I've been getting a lot of "Unknown error occurred." when I upload videos to youtube with QTX. Does anyone know what might cause this?

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

Bonobos posted:

Not sure if I should ask here or in the mouse thread, but since we are talking software...how is the logitech software for OSX? I know a few years ago the consensus was to just use STEETMOUSE or similar, but supposedly their drivers / software has gotten better?

Or is it still a buggy mess? Mouse is a G500S btw.

I've been using SmoothMouse and I like it a lot. http://smoothmouse.com/

IratelyBlank
Dec 2, 2004
The only easy day was yesterday
What is the current state of emulating Windows software in OS X? I have been giving a lot of thought to getting a Macbook Air but I need to be able to run an engineering software called HFSS that is used to model electromagnetic fields and other things like MATLAB and SPICE simulation software and I'm not sure if this kinda thing will run at all in OS X? I've googled around but it's not very popular so there isn't a lot about it re: OS X. I think that OS X has a native version of MATLAB.

Is the situation that everything can be run within OS X with varying degrees of stability or some things flat out can't be emulated at all? I know when I used Wine in Linux several years ago, some things just flat out didn't work. I know Airs are capable of dual booting into windows but I was looking at only getting the 128gb model to keep the cost down and I don't think this is enough space to run two modern operating systems.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do

IratelyBlank posted:

I know Airs are capable of dual booting into windows but I was looking at only getting the 128gb model to keep the cost down and I don't think this is enough space to run two modern operating systems.

It's not emulation, but I'm running Parallels, which is apparently smart enough to only use as much space on disk as the stuff you have installed needs. My Parallels installation of Windows 7 with Office 365 installed clocks in at 31.83 GB. However, I also didn't intentionally try to skim it down to the lowest amount of space possible.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

VMWare Fusion 5 works fantastic for me and only costs fifty bucks to boot, but VMs are kinda big and 128 will run out rather quickly.
If you really need to run windows apps you're gonna want at least 256 whether you dual boot or go the VM route.

Also VMs are painful (Assuming a Win7 VM) on anything less then 4 gigs of host ram.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
Crossover has a demo which will tell you more than our anecdotal experiences. I find it works great for simpler apps. You can always check the WINE database on a particular piece of software you want to run.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

IratelyBlank posted:

What is the current state of emulating Windows software in OS X?
You will probably need to go with a virtualization solution like VMware Fusion, Parallels Desktop, or VirtualBox. Most of these solutions give you the ability to share your Mac's Documents folder to the guest VM for convenience and saving space. A VM with an OS and a few apps won't take up as much space as you think.

My 128gb Retina MBP stores multiple VMs for Mac and web development testing, and I have about 50 GB left. I don't store media on this laptop; it's all streamed.

wolffenstein fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Aug 30, 2013

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

VirtualBox is free, XP only takes like 10GB if your apps run under it

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
I'm currently using a MBA and I have windows 8 running in vmware, and the *.vmwarevm file is only 8.95GB for a base install. I also have 8.1, and it is currently ~16 GB, but that is with some things installed, a suspended state and 3.3GB reclaimable. I've been meaning to get xilinx installed, but I haven't gotten around to downloading it again, and I suspect that it could get annoying on a 4GB host machine, even if you give the VM 2GB. (not to mention the general crappiness it has with windows 8, if it hasn't been fixed yet)

Anmitzcuaca
Nov 23, 2005

What's the best Safari keyword search at the moment? I have Omnikey installed but it's a bit buggy, misinterprets keystrokes sometimes and submits my query when I'm halfway through typing.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Anmitzcuaca posted:

What's the best Safari keyword search at the moment? I have Omnikey installed but it's a bit buggy, misinterprets keystrokes sometimes and submits my query when I'm halfway through typing.
I use KeySearch, by default it doesn't work like the usual keyword search stuff iirc, but you can change that (like I never use the popup thing in the screenshot there).

...and I think the "submit query while typing" thing is actually a Safari bug. It was brought up a while ago and people seemed to get it with or without extensions.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

IratelyBlank posted:

What is the current state of emulating Windows software in OS X? I have been giving a lot of thought to getting a Macbook Air but I need to be able to run an engineering software called HFSS that is used to model electromagnetic fields and other things like MATLAB and SPICE simulation software and I'm not sure if this kinda thing will run at all in OS X? I've googled around but it's not very popular so there isn't a lot about it re: OS X. I think that OS X has a native version of MATLAB.

Is the situation that everything can be run within OS X with varying degrees of stability or some things flat out can't be emulated at all? I know when I used Wine in Linux several years ago, some things just flat out didn't work. I know Airs are capable of dual booting into windows but I was looking at only getting the 128gb model to keep the cost down and I don't think this is enough space to run two modern operating systems.

MATLAB definitely has a native OS X version.

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Science isn't about why, it's about why not.

SRQ posted:

On a theoretical macbook, if 10.7 is installed and I want to upgrade to 10.8 by installing it side by side, how would I later on roll the 10.7 partition into the 10.8 one?

You can't merge free space before an HFS volume into one after - you can only merge space after into ones before.

Make a second partition, smaller than the first. Install to the second partition. Copy over the stuff you want from the first to the second, then boot into recovery mode and use disk utility to restore the second partition overtop the first. Now you can delete the second partition and merge it into the first.

I wouldn't be concerned about doing an upgrade - OS X is very good about not hosing your system because of an update. Most things that would cause issues are automatically set aside by the installer. If you do encounter an issue, file a bug so it can be fixed.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Recently if I watch an embedded flash video it sometimes backtracks the audio and pauses the video until the sound catches up... Is anyone else having this?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Ratjaculation posted:

Recently if I watch an embedded flash video it sometimes backtracks the audio and pauses the video until the sound catches up... Is anyone else having this?

What browser?

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004
Just curious if anyone here uses a fan control program, either in osx or when in bootcamp windows?

I'd like to do some gaming on my retina but am afraid I will melt the computer. Do the fans do well enough to cool the computer when controlled by the firmware when pushing the computer?

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Bob Morales posted:

What browser?

Chrome.

I think its only YouTube videos so I'm guessing its a result of the video quality changing automatically.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Bonobos posted:

Just curious if anyone here uses a fan control program, either in osx or when in bootcamp windows?

I'd like to do some gaming on my retina but am afraid I will melt the computer. Do the fans do well enough to cool the computer when controlled by the firmware when pushing the computer?

One of the only reasons you need a fan control program is if you have an iMac or something where you've replace the factory HD that has a temp sensor and you want to slow the fans down so you're not listening to 5,500 rpm of fan

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Ratjaculation posted:

Chrome.

I think its only YouTube videos so I'm guessing its a result of the video quality changing automatically.

Are you using the built in Chrome Flash player?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I've had massive issues with flash on Chrome, especially with Youtube videos (on both Chrome's own flash and the external plugin) but using the html5 player somewhat helps even though it's not available for every video. I got a Chrome addon that turns all Youtube videos into the native Chrome video player which is quite handy, but even that makes the sound choppy at times which is caused by having two monitors on thanks to ML.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

One of the only reasons you need a fan control program is if you have an iMac or something where you've replace the factory HD that has a temp sensor* and you want to slow the fans down so you're not listening to 5,500 rpm of fan

*and you did't replace the temp sensor with Apple's universal one, which for a 2009-2010 is part number 922-9229.

(sorry, I just got done installing one and have the packaging in front of me)

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

At the risk of looking an idiot again I have two questions:
Is there any way for Retina dpi to scale properly on windows?
How about sharing my icloud bookmarks with Firefox on windows?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

SRQ posted:

In Windows 8, I believe so, yes.

edit: Apparently it's coming in 8.1?

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Aug 31, 2013

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

SRQ posted:

At the risk of looking an idiot again I have two questions:
How about sharing my icloud bookmarks with Firefox on windows?

1. You can change the size of text and some elements but some programs don't play nice. It's in Screen Resolution > Make text larger or smaller, or whatever the overly verbose link is. Other answer: wait for Windows 8.1 which has the OS X style scaling.

2. Not that I know of except to install iCloud control panel and sync with IE then export and import into Firefox.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

But then I would have to use Windows 8.1 :ohdear:.
Export/import works well enough thanks for that idea.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

SRQ posted:

But then I would have to use Windows 8.1 :ohdear:.
Export/import works well enough thanks for that idea.
Use custom dpi scaling (where carry on then mentioned) and set it to 200% (the slider only goes to 150%). A lot of stuff can't handle being scaled up like that and will look like rear end but there's not much you can do about that since the DPI scaling in Windows is awful. Windows 8 scales fine in the Metro environment but has exactly the same issue as Windows 7 in desktop mode.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
This is driving me insane, I'm running mountain lion on my MBP and even though I set computer sleep to never via energy saver the laptop still goes into idle sleep when plugged into power.

There any way to completely disable sleep when plugged into power? I searched around online and was only finding little utilities to run that would completely disable it.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Ashex posted:

This is driving me insane, I'm running mountain lion on my MBP and even though I set computer sleep to never via energy saver the laptop still goes into idle sleep when plugged into power.

There any way to completely disable sleep when plugged into power? I searched around online and was only finding little utilities to run that would completely disable it.
Something's wonky there because mine doesn't go to sleep on power. Have you tried repairing permissions? Failing that, maybe try renaming /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.PowerManagement.plist, rebooting and then re-doing your power settings.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Ashex posted:

What does it say if you use pmset -g in the terminal with and without the charger plugged in?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Anyone have issues with Growl in ML not showing notifications after a while? I use it for Twitter notifications and after a certain time it just flat-out won't show any notifications unless restarted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Stare-Out posted:

Anyone have issues with Growl in ML not showing notifications after a while? I use it for Twitter notifications and after a certain time it just flat-out won't show any notifications unless restarted.

I've had some problems along those lines. Most of the time, though, it has simply been that Growl has quietly crashed or that the startup order is wrong. Some programs seem to have problems detecting Grown if it's already running, so if they crash, I have to restart Growl as well. I have no idea what's actually causing it though, so it might not be all that helpful, but those two might be good places to start looking.