Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
housefly
Sep 11, 2001

Are game controllers integrated in the iOS 7 build for AppleTV?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

spongeworthy posted:

Sorry for any ignorance here, I'm new to aTV. Are you saying it is updating itself in the background forcefully? Or is there something else going on here

e: I have the new channels but jailbreak seems to be OK for the moment

aTV has always updated silently.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I don't think that's accurate. I have specific recollections of navigating an update menu. He'll I remember the last update we were wondering if it broke Plex and someone confirmed it didn't so THEN I updated. :)

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

FCKGW posted:

Mine is still on some 2 year old version

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I think silent updates were added by a major revision. iOS 5 I think.

That said, there hasn't been a major software revision since. It's all been little updates and added channels. Nothing really huge like the UI overhaul that gave us the current "channel app" layout.

The next major revision (iOS7?) may require actually verifying to do the update.

Rura Penthe
Jun 2, 2000
Lock up your microwaves... SwearingScience is here!

Feenix posted:

I'm assuming you mean the one before Applications?

I mean this

certfile = /Applications/PlexConnect-master/Trailers\ Files/trailers.pem

should become

certfile = /Applications/PlexConnect-master/Trailers Files/trailers.pem

I'm assuming you have a directory named "Trailers Files" there. But really just run through the steps again and it should be much simpler this time around!

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Rura Penthe posted:

(Author of the fix here)

Could you post your Settings.cfg and the output you get when you run PlexConnect? Also, the guide has just been updated to cover Snow Leopard and Windows users.

ok so I removed the slash BEFORE Applications
saved. rebooted machine.
Reran sudo ./plexconnect.py and got this:

code:
13:30:51 DNSServer: Domain: pd-st.itunes.apple.com
13:30:51 DNSServer: ***forward request
13:30:51 DNSServer: -> DNS response from higher level
13:30:52 DNSServer: DNS request received!
13:30:52 DNSServer: Source: ('192.168.1.9', 50477)
13:30:52 DNSServer: Domain: init-p01st.push.apple.com
13:30:52 DNSServer: ***forward request
13:30:52 DNSServer: -> DNS response from higher level
13:30:53 DNSServer: DNS request received!
13:30:53 DNSServer: Source: ('192.168.1.9', 53639)
13:30:53 DNSServer: Domain: p01-sharedstreams.icloud.com
13:30:53 DNSServer: ***forward request
13:30:53 DNSServer: -> DNS response from higher level
13:30:53 DNSServer: Source: ('192.168.1.9', 55162)
13:30:53 DNSServer: Domain: 47-courier.push.apple.com
13:30:53 DNSServer: ***forward request
13:30:53 DNSServer: -> DNS response from higher level
13:30:53 DNSServer: Source: ('192.168.1.9', 60303)
13:30:53 DNSServer: Domain: trailers.apple.com
13:30:53 DNSServer: ***intercept request
13:30:53 DNSServer: -> DNS response: 192.168.1.7
but I still get the same error about Trailers being unavailable.

Any other ideas?

[edit]

Rura Penthe posted:

I mean this

certfile = /Applications/PlexConnect-master/Trailers\ Files/trailers.pem

should become

certfile = /Applications/PlexConnect-master/Trailers Files/trailers.pem

I'm assuming you have a directory named "Trailers Files" there. But really just run through the steps again and it should be much simpler this time around!

OHHHHHH> Disregard above. Let me try again!

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's a mixed bag as far as auto updates go. Sometimes it will tell me there's an update and ask to install, sometimes I just notice that new "channels" have been added.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Rura Penthe: Thank you both for the fix and for the help! That was it I'm on.

Now, as a "I suck at this stuff so I like to leave well enough alone" type, how important is it that I get the new integrated branch? Will this one work fine? What's the tangible benefit? :)

Rura Penthe
Jun 2, 2000
Lock up your microwaves... SwearingScience is here!

Feenix posted:

Rura Penthe: Thank you both for the fix and for the help! That was it I'm on.

Now, as a "I suck at this stuff so I like to leave well enough alone" type, how important is it that I get the new integrated branch? Will this one work fine? What's the tangible benefit? :)

I'd highly recommend grabbing the new integrated one. I had to update the code a few times to resolve some niggling issues and you are unlikely to be on the latest anyway, plus in the future since iBaa's repository is the primary it will continue to receive feature updates and fixes.

You can actually do this very simply. Grab the new one, copy the Settings.cfg over, and you're done. Optionally you can move the trailers.pem to a new location, but you don't have to.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

FCKGW posted:

There are both silent updates that add channels, and actual system updates that add features and other lower-level improvements.

Happy Pizza Guy
Jun 24, 2004

"Yeah, it was incredible, the drugs, the sex, the all-night parties. I really miss that Shining Time Station."
Grimey Drawer
edit: nevermind.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

It's a mixed bag as far as auto updates go. Sometimes it will tell me there's an update and ask to install, sometimes I just notice that new "channels" have been added.

I think perhaps that channels are mostly made of the same kinds of screens, so they are just updating a server where it pulls the lists of things that go onto the screens. It's not updating any actual executable code, just updating the data that drives what's available.

This is how someone was able to co-opt the Trailers channel to put Plex in there, they were intercepting the calls to apple's servers and mimicking the format it was querying.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Ever since updating, what is this new counter thing on my PlexConnect shows? Its like a counter clock. "12:25 remaining" or some junk. It's not the remaining show runtime... so Im confused...

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

Feenix posted:

Ever since updating, what is this new counter thing on my PlexConnect shows? Its like a counter clock. "12:25 remaining" or some junk. It's not the remaining show runtime... so Im confused...

I am not sure where this is, but I did see that it will show you at what time your show will end. Maybe that is it?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Kenderama posted:

I am not sure where this is, but I did see that it will show you at what time your show will end. Maybe that is it?

But it says 12 minutes (for example) at the beginning of a 30 (22) min show...

I'll take a picture later.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Feenix posted:

But it says 12 minutes (for example) at the beginning of a 30 (22) min show...

I'll take a picture later.

Time as in the wall time - i.e. if it is 8AM now and you start something that runs 22 minutes, it should show 8:22.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
It certainly was fun to want to sit down and watch a movie after a 14 hour work shift and instead have to gently caress around with microUSB cables, iPhone software, and certificate files because Apple stealthy forced an update I didn't ask for. Sorry to nerd-rage a bit but is there any trick to prevent the ATV3 from ever auto-updating ever again?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Don't let it connect to the internet?

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.
Because gently caress apple for causing you trouble for relying on third party hacks that break when they give you additional features for free.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
The ESPN channel loving owns. Had it on goal line most of the day.

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

It certainly was fun to want to sit down and watch a movie after a 14 hour work shift and instead have to gently caress around with microUSB cables, iPhone software, and certificate files because Apple stealthy forced an update I didn't ask for. Sorry to nerd-rage a bit but is there any trick to prevent the ATV3 from ever auto-updating ever again?

:qq: my pirated movies don't work anymore!

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Sep 1, 2013

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

You might be able to set up a static route on your router to prevent it from actually being able to reach the update server, or block the DNS from resolving.

appldnld.apple.com, mesu.apple.com, and appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite.net are the three URLs (as far as I know) that are used for ATV updates. Check to see if your router's got an option for parental controls or firewall to block those, and if that isn't an option, definitely check for the option of a static route. You could resolve those IPs and set requests from those scopes to resolve to 127.0.0.1 or similar, and it'll just fail to make contact.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

G-Prime posted:

You might be able to set up a static route on your router to prevent it from actually being able to reach the update server, or block the DNS from resolving.

appldnld.apple.com, mesu.apple.com, and appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite.net are the three URLs (as far as I know) that are used for ATV updates. Check to see if your router's got an option for parental controls or firewall to block those, and if that isn't an option, definitely check for the option of a static route. You could resolve those IPs and set requests from those scopes to resolve to 127.0.0.1 or similar, and it'll just fail to make contact.

This is exactly what I was looking for! Thank you!

I know I was spergin' a bit before but I've never had anything in my life auto-update my hardware like that without so much as a prompt (my iPhone, iPad(s), Xbox 360, PS3, etc have never done this) so I was kinda aggrivated to have dig in my basement for a DVD in the Year of Luigi 2013.

When you work nights and have to sleep during the day the little things begin to annoy you (like who are these gatdam kids with the nerve to be out playing at 11 am :corsair: ).

But so far so good; big thanks G-Prime! Made some adjustments in my router and all should be good now. :toot:

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

I know I was spergin' a bit before but I've never had anything in my life auto-update my hardware like that without so much as a prompt (my iPhone, iPad(s), Xbox 360, PS3, etc have never done this)

JUst so you're in the know... Starting in iOS7 your apps are going to update in the background by default.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

benisntfunny posted:

JUst so you're in the know... Starting in iOS7 your apps are going to update in the background by default.

Yeah I've used iOS 7; it doesn't seem like a bad idea except for maybe people on limited bandwidth, and even then there's an option in iOS7 to update the apps only over wifi. And you can turn the automatic updating off in general. So to me it's like Windows XP and onward with system updates.

But for whatever reason I don't see apps auto-updating the same as I see the Plex removal thing. The Plex removal thing to me would be like you were lucky enough to get VLC or Mame in the app store and you woke up one day and it was gone/removed from your iPhone. I'm sure it's a bad analogy but it's just how I think of it.

The auto updating thing is definitely going to be useful for people like my wife who is on the Facebook app from 6 versions ago and wondering why it loads too slow. I personally just hate waking up and something changed on my gadget without so much as an "ok?" prompt. Ask me how many times I lost valuable encoding/video editing time to Windows 7 rebooting after an update. :argh:

Sorry for the derail but the iOS 7 update thing is pretty cool, especially since it can be turned off if it's an issue for you. At least in the Beta I tried it could be turned off. :shobon:

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Considering this thread I figured you'd be used to some tinkering around :v:

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

japtor posted:

Considering this thread I figured you'd be used to some tinkering around :v:

:lol: Yep, and it's probably why I am burnt out when it comes time to tinkering with HTPCs or ~movie time~.

This level of :spergin: got the vertical bar interference fixed from the SNES though; so it's not totally useless. :D

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

I know I was spergin' a bit before but I've never had anything in my life auto-update my hardware like that without so much as a prompt (my iPhone, iPad(s), Xbox 360, PS3, etc have never done this) so I was kinda aggrivated to have dig in my basement for a DVD in the Year of Luigi 2013.

When you work nights and have to sleep during the day the little things begin to annoy you (like who are these gatdam kids with the nerve to be out playing at 11 am :corsair: ).

But so far so good; big thanks G-Prime! Made some adjustments in my router and all should be good now. :toot:

Hey, retro goons gotta stick together. Let me know if it somehow updates anyway in the future. I'll be very interested to know if they have some other mechanism to get around it. If nothing else, I suppose it could be possible that there's some kind of side effect from not being able to reach their servers, but my ATV2 has no problems with those being blocked at the hosts file level.

Medikit
Dec 31, 2002

que lástima

Mr. Nice! posted:

:qq: my pirated movies don't work anymore!

If you don't care then don't waste your time leaving a comment.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Medikit posted:

If you don't care then don't waste your time leaving a comment.

I'm just saying it's really out of place to whine about a bunch of awesome new things on your $99 wonderbox because it slightly interrupted your ability to steal things.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Mr. Nice! posted:

I'm just saying it's really out of place to whine about a bunch of awesome new things on your $99 wonderbox because it slightly interrupted your ability to steal things.

For most people, new channels appearing without having the update now/later nag screen is a feature and/or a nice surprise. I don't think you have a lot of ground to stand on when your hack gets impacted by these things. It's not as if the box was sold to you on the promise of having Plex or jailbreaks.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

MrBond posted:

For most people, new channels appearing without having the update now/later nag screen is a feature and/or a nice surprise. I don't think you have a lot of ground to stand on when your hack gets impacted by these things. It's not as if the box was sold to you on the promise of having Plex or jailbreaks.

Bingo. I loving love the new apps. It was a nice surprise to see them. Saves me from airplaying a lot of things.

frogg
May 20, 2006

walrus bottle
Well golly gee, I'm sorry your Disney channel chat was disrupted. This is the only AppleTV thread and Plex discussion should be more than welcome here.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
e: Actually never mind; I am not getting into the vortex of arguing whether or not people who use Plex are "thiefs".

Thanks again for the help, G-Prime. It seems to have done the trick.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Sep 1, 2013

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Ripping your movies to a media server and streaming them over Plex is not theft.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

TheJoker138 posted:

Ripping your movies to a media server and streaming them over Plex is not theft.

If you're ripping your movies why not just rip them in an itunes compatible format? iTunes can point to files on a server and pull them right up on an appletv without issue. Then it can't break.

I should make the point that I'm not against using plex or anything like that. I just don't understand the frothing viterol for an update removing a backdoor that it was using.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

If you're ripping your movies why not just rip them in an itunes compatible format? iTunes can point to files on a server and pull them right up on an appletv without issue. Then it can't break.

I should make the point that I'm not against using plex or anything like that. I just don't understand the frothing viterol for an update removing a backdoor that it was using.

Because automatic updates are annoying, especially when they break poo poo (legitimate use or otherwise) unexpectedly. at least a prompt to notify that an update has taken place should be given.

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

Mr. Nice! posted:

The reason I don't do that is because I don't want GIGS of movies slowing down iTunes, which already has a very large music collection to choke on. Though I do also admit to the problem eventually resolving itself as I've stopped buying new releases on BluRay and just buy them from the iTunes store - but those stream instead of downloading to my local PC.

ssspy007
Aug 5, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

Have you used the default interface in Computer Sharing? The interface is horrible. I can't speak for anyone else, but all my movies are in an iTunes compatible format and I still use Plex because of how it can organize it. I can see what I haven't watched or what I have recently added or started but haven't finished, etc...

I use Plex on my phone to control everything though. Since using Plexconnect and unblock-us together is terribly slow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

ssspy007 posted:

Have you used the default interface in Computer Sharing? The interface is horrible. I can't speak for anyone else, but all my movies are in an iTunes compatible format and I still use Plex because of how it can organize it. I can see what I haven't watched or what I have recently added or started but haven't finished, etc...

I use Plex on my phone to control everything though. Since using Plexconnect and unblock-us together is terribly slow.

All the stuff in computer sharing works just fine for me. Maybe it's just because I'm using a mac. I dunno, but it really seems like a lot of work if you're doing something legit.

Laserface posted:

Because automatic updates are annoying, especially when they break poo poo (legitimate use or otherwise) unexpectedly. at least a prompt to notify that an update has taken place should be given.

There was absolutely nothing legitimate broken. This broke a backdoor. They closed a security exploit. Those are precisely the types of updates that need to be installed without notification simply for security purposes.

• Locked thread