Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mikeo
May 17, 2009

The bike has no airbox at all, just some aftermarket cover for the air filter. Of course I only noticed that after buying the bike, although it is very noticeable and looks completely out of place.
So for the mandatory inspection next year (Yay, Germany - no bafflectomy, too) I will have to buy a new airbox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Mikeo posted:

The bike has no airbox at all, just some aftermarket cover for the air filter. Of course I only noticed that after buying the bike, although it is very noticeable and looks completely out of place.
So for the mandatory inspection next year (Yay, Germany - no bafflectomy, too) I will have to buy a new airbox.

Looks like the factory airbox from the right, that's really weird.. The snorkel is usually on the left, behind the grey triangular panel held on by an allen bolt. It looks a lot like the heater fan cover in a car. The rectangular aperture is half-blocked by a little vacuum-actuated door at low revs and rpm. Disabling it gives you a fraction better roll-on throttle and much better intake sound at low revs.

Ohms
Jun 5, 2008

spacescold.com
I've taken some cool photos of my bike since moving to El Paso.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

ammo mammal posted:

Yamaha TT350, my first bike.

And a gorgeous place to own it. Wow.

Mikeo
May 17, 2009

Slavvy posted:

Looks like the factory airbox from the right, that's really weird.. The snorkel is usually on the left, behind the grey triangular panel held on by an allen bolt. It looks a lot like the heater fan cover in a car. The rectangular aperture is half-blocked by a little vacuum-actuated door at low revs and rpm. Disabling it gives you a fraction better roll-on throttle and much better intake sound at low revs.

Looks like I got my terminology wrong. It's the air intake that is missing. It looks like this:

Mikeo fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Aug 29, 2013

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Mikeo posted:

Looks like I got my terminology wrong. It's the air intake that is missing. It looks like this:

Huh. That'll basically do exactly what modifying the snorkel does, only better from a performance standpoint. I wouldn't take it outside when it's raining though!

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

Ohms posted:

The paint on that tank is awesome.

Ohms
Jun 5, 2008

spacescold.com

front wing flexing posted:

The paint on that tank is awesome.

Thanks man!

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Love the tank paint but I think apehangers would just be so uncomfortable to ride with.

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 370 days!

Ohms posted:

I can never see those tanks without wondering about the fuel range. Help me out here would you

the bsd boys fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Aug 29, 2013

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

100 - 150km if you're lucky. A mate has one that size and he has to stop once each way on the way to the Sunshine Coast from here and that's about 180km.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

There's a reason they're called peanut tanks.

Ohms
Jun 5, 2008

spacescold.com

Wendigee posted:

Love the tank paint but I think apehangers would just be so uncomfortable to ride with.

They arent as high as you'd think when I sit on the bike. My arms are definitely below my shoulders. But different strokes I guess.

Shimrod posted:

100 - 150km if you're lucky. A mate has one that size and he has to stop once each way on the way to the Sunshine Coast from here and that's about 180km.

It's a 2.5 gallon tank I believe. It works for me. I stop for gas more often than when I had the stock tank on, but I just hated the aesthetic of it so much.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Wendigee posted:

If you have them positioned right, they can feel really great. Especially on a feet-forward ride.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Ohms posted:

They arent as high as you'd think when I sit on the bike. My arms are definitely below my shoulders. But different strokes I guess.

It's a 2.5 gallon tank I believe. It works for me. I stop for gas more often than when I had the stock tank on, but I just hated the aesthetic of it so much.

Love the peanut. That paint job is beautiful. Who did it for you and how much did he charge? I will be pricing my tins for paint as soon as I get my other bike sold (shameless plug: its in the CA selling section right now if anyone is interested in a honda chopper. A real one not a bunch of catalog parts but custom made for the bike and yes the frame cut and welded with reinforcing plugs in the joins of the new pipe).

My Sporty came with the peanut, but I might up it to a king peanut depending on what kind of deal I can get (A guy at the flea market we go to has a full set of tins for 10 bucks that includes the king peanut). Did yours have the rounded look they went with for a while in the mid 2000's? I never liked that tank on a sporty.

Ohms
Jun 5, 2008

spacescold.com

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Love the peanut. That paint job is beautiful. Who did it for you and how much did he charge? I will be pricing my tins for paint as soon as I get my other bike sold (shameless plug: its in the CA selling section right now if anyone is interested in a honda chopper. A real one not a bunch of catalog parts but custom made for the bike and yes the frame cut and welded with reinforcing plugs in the joins of the new pipe).

My Sporty came with the peanut, but I might up it to a king peanut depending on what kind of deal I can get (A guy at the flea market we go to has a full set of tins for 10 bucks that includes the king peanut). Did yours have the rounded look they went with for a while in the mid 2000's? I never liked that tank on a sporty.

I got it done by a guy on Chop Cult named zombieshawn. He has really flexible reasonable prices depending on what you want. I would definitely go to him again for other paint jobs. My bike is a 2001 so yea, it had the tank you're referring to.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ohms posted:

I got it done by a guy on Chop Cult named zombieshawn. He has really flexible reasonable prices depending on what you want. I would definitely go to him again for other paint jobs. My bike is a 2001 so yea, it had the tank you're referring to.

Wait...Harleys have different styling year to year? :v:

ynotony
Apr 14, 2003

Yea...this is pretty much the smartest thing I have ever done.
Finally ran out of excuses for taking the new bike up into the mountains after work:

Sock Weasel
Sep 13, 2010

Boyfriend and I went into a Kawasaki/Honda dealership so that I could get a feel for some bikes and have a better idea of what I'd scour Craigslist for. I came home with this.

Whoops. I've never owned a vehicle from new before so putting the first mile on it was absolutely loving terrifying. My Honda CB500 was scruffy so I wouldn't have minded too much if I'd dropped it, but this? I feel like a paranoid parent. It is awesome. :toot:

Vork!Vork!Vork!
Apr 2, 2008

vork!vork!vork!vork!vork!vork!

Sock Weasel posted:

Boyfriend and I went into a Kawasaki/Honda dealership so that I could get a feel for some bikes and have a better idea of what I'd scour Craigslist for. I came home with this.

Whoops. I've never owned a vehicle from new before so putting the first mile on it was absolutely loving terrifying. My Honda CB500 was scruffy so I wouldn't have minded too much if I'd dropped it, but this? I feel like a paranoid parent. It is awesome. :toot:

sweet looking kawasaki, I have liked that offset rear shock idea

but I don't know about the yellow spring. I am thinking a lime green spring would look kick rear end

Sock Weasel
Sep 13, 2010

Yeah I definitely want to switch it out. The white model has a red spring and the blue model has a chrome one, so those are two easy options. Lime green would be sweet though!

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
I think the yellow would look just fine with some matching rimtape. Red would be kinda meh.

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe

Everyone should buy a supermoto, you will thank me later.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Sock Weasel posted:

Is that the 650R? I can never tell them apart. :saddowns:

I say go full retard with a lime spring and lime accents on the wheels, like one spoke or opposing quarters or something :black101:

chia
Dec 23, 2005

Sock Weasel posted:

Whoops. I've never owned a vehicle from new before so putting the first mile on it was absolutely loving terrifying.

It really is the best feeling :)

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
I'm finally getting comfortable enough on the Scrambler to go to some stupid places.

The last picture may or may not be just after returning it to verticalness and thinking twice about riding to the middle of nowhere alone at sunset.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Get some engine guards and bark busters on it so you only scratch things and not break them.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

ManicJason posted:

I'm finally getting comfortable enough on the Scrambler to go to some stupid places.

The last picture may or may not be just after returning it to verticalness and thinking twice about riding to the middle of nowhere alone at sunset.

That a triumph? Think I saw one of these outside a dealership a few weeks ago and fell in love. I covet your wheels.

Edit: Just made out the badge in the first picture. Yes it is. Want.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

thylacine posted:

Get some engine guards and bark busters on it so you only scratch things and not break them.

Yes to engine guards, skid plate and at least those folding levers so you don't get hosed breaking a lever in the middle of nowhere.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

ManicJason posted:

Where is this? It looks gorgeous (the bike, too).

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

:sigh:

Still not ready to ride.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.

clutchpuck posted:

Where is this? It looks gorgeous (the bike, too).

15 miles or so outside Las Vegas. That trail goes up over a pass and down into Goodsprings, famous to nerds for being the starting city in Fallout: New Vegas. I'm definitely going to make another attempt with more daylight and more people (read: not alone.)

thylacine posted:

I'm thinking about it. Engine guards and skid plate should be no-brainers now that a co-worker just bought a BMW 1200 GS and is going to be getting me into even more trouble. I'm not so sure about hand guards. I should probably at least carry an extra clutch lever if I'm going to be frolicking off into the desert.

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

ynotony posted:

Finally ran out of excuses for taking the new bike up into the mountains after work:

Very nice. Almost looks like Oahu

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I sold my Husky to a young kid. Helped him cram it into the back of a minivan. He paid me in a fat stack of $20s.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
Stow'n'go seating at its finest. Love me some minivans.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Sock Weasel posted:

Sup 650R buddy. :hfive:

cheesebot
Jul 21, 2002

I cheesebot

Safety Dance posted:

I sold my Husky to a young kid. Helped him cram it into the back of a minivan. He paid me in a fat stack of $20s.

What kind of van was it? Cargo space like that is relevant to my interests.

dimmlight
Aug 24, 2004
Looks like a Dodge Grand Caravan. I know this as that is what i load with tons of cargo and drive everyday, at least when I am not riding my wide glide.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I was able to fit my Ninjette in my 2008 Odyssey (standing); I only had to take 1 seat out (and folded the rear seats). The hooks that hold the van's seats make good places to attach a tiedown strap.

Much harder to do with an SUV. I had some room left over too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Some oh-so-arty shots I took on my first ride on my new '93 FZR600: