Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

dis astranagant posted:

The only fiends you really need are Daisoujou and Trumpeter tbh. Daisoujou gets Samsara (high rate all target expel instadeath), a double or more strength hp/mp drain and all the healing skills you'll ever need. Trumpeter gets an almighty single target instakill that costs basically nothing (always hits the enemy with the least hp, but this really isn't a problem). I'd just about call Daisoujou the single best demon in the game, simply because you get him so drat early and he's great from start to finish.

Yeah I was using Daisoujou literally until the final battle. He's ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I know it will never happen but I really want them to remake Nocturne for the Vita.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I just found a really amazing YouTube playlist. Guy goes through SMT: Nocturne only fighting the mandatory bosses and nothing else (although he does get cash by Pestering random encounters I think).

He fights Matador at level 8 and finishes the game at level 45.

He's also working on Hard Mode now (although he hasn't updated in a month). Here's his Matador on Hard mode at level 8 video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8p2KYwLx7GM

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
My main Nocturne party was almost always exclusively fiends. Though I think I skipped Matador and one or two of the Riders (as in, I never bothered to fuse them). I also vaguely remember replacing one of them with a demon who could use Debilitate towards the end, though I can't remember which one.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I'm also playing Persona 1 and there seems to be millions attack types that I don't even bother and I just spam the basic magic spells from the starting personas.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

re: Nocturne, Daisoujou is amazing and well worth taking all the way to 90, but the other Fiends are almost all worth keeping for 10-20 levels as well. They all have amazing resistances and their exclusive skills go from pretty good to loving nuts. You're gimping yourself by not using them, frankly.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Well, the thing is that the main game was absolutely not designed to accommodate the Fiends' absolutely broken resistance sets.

So, if you fuse even the lowest level Fiend, you have more or less broken the main game for a long time.

So the question becomes whether or not you want to hand yourself an "I Win" button or two.

The same thing goes for abusing Dark Might. Especially Fiends with Dark Might...

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Sep 1, 2013

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

So the one thing I really hate about Nocturne right now: This dumb Sonic 2 bonus stage-esque thing you have to go through to get to the different level of Kalpas. The controls are awful. Also, going back to random skill inheritance for fusions is a pain. I forgot just how bad having to re-roll those things were.

subhelios
May 26, 2013

Unfortunately, there is no such game as 'World of Submarines.'

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

So the one thing I really hate about Nocturne right now: This dumb Sonic 2 bonus stage-esque thing you have to go through to get to the different level of Kalpas. The controls are awful. Also, going back to random skill inheritance for fusions is a pain. I forgot just how bad having to re-roll those things were.

As irritating as the passage between the kalpas is, you don't have to actively play it if you don't want to. Granted you'll have to heal afterwards, but mp is cheap.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

subhelios posted:

As irritating as the passage between the kalpas is, you don't have to actively play it if you don't want to. Granted you'll have to heal afterwards, but mp is cheap.

I actually enjoyed that mini-game. :shobon:

It also doesn't hurt that it's bar none the best way to raise cash.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Genpei Turtle posted:

I actually enjoyed that mini-game. :shobon:

It also doesn't hurt that it's bar none the best way to raise cash.

And the music was kickin'.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Now this block-pushing arcade game, THIS is a fun mini-game! I'm not being sarcastic, I actually like it.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Now this block-pushing arcade game, THIS is a fun mini-game! I'm not being sarcastic, I actually like it.

Block Pushing is so awesome Atlus made a whole game around it :3:

Also I liked the between-kalpa mini game in Nocturne.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
I don't have a psp but I do have a ps3 and I want to play persona 2. Am I going to be lost and not understand the story if I play Eternal Punishment without having played Innocent Sin? I might find an LP to watch if I am.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
You'll understand it more or less fine, but I really wouldn't recommend it. It thematically works a lot stronger if you played both games. Personally, I think IS is the better game of the two as well. You could always play the fan-translated version on ePSXe or something.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Nate RFB posted:

You'll understand it more or less fine, but I really wouldn't recommend it. It thematically works a lot stronger if you played both games. Personally, I think IS is the better game of the two as well. You could always play the fan-translated version on ePSXe or something.

Well I guess I can try that then. Can anyone confirm that the translated version works all the way through the game? I saw some comments suggesting that it crashes at a certain point.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Well I guess I can try that then. Can anyone confirm that the translated version works all the way through the game? I saw some comments suggesting that it crashes at a certain point.

It does occasionally crash, but that could be the emulator. The crashes aren't tied to any particular events, and the whole game works fine other than that.

FINALmasa
Feb 12, 2006

Ask me about how feminists are feminists because they can't get laid.

Don't worry, I'm not some sexist ass, MRAs are MRAs because they can't get laid either. By the way, I am totally an MRA!
Part of the problem is that they are almost the same game. If you play them back to back you will probably get burned out. The difficulty in EP seems much better balanced, while in IS you don't even have to try in the first half of the game. I can't tell if EP was translated poorly or if I was the one reading the names wrong, but that poo poo must be ten times more confusing if you haven't played IS.

The game didn't crash for me. It also felt a lot like Final Fantasy 8 combined with Phantasy Star macros to me. If you've built up a high tolerance to FF8 you should be fine.

FINALmasa fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Sep 2, 2013

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

FINALmasa posted:

Part of the problem is that they are almost the same game. If you play them back to back you will probably get burned out. The difficulty in EP seems much better balanced, while in IS you don't even have to try in the first half of the game. I can't tell if EP was translated poorly or if I was the one reading the names wrong, but that poo poo must be ten times more confusing if you haven't played IS.

Nah, it's just the game itself. In the first 20 or so minutes they throw around the names Tatsuya Suou, Katsuya Suou, Tatsuya Sudou, and Tatsuzou Sudou, with only one of those characters really being present on screen.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I find it funny playing Nocturne now, how when I was going through the SMT4 DLC and saw the demon that had a skill that could just make more press turns I thought it was really unique and impressive. Little did I know that like every boss in Nocturne can do it! It gets a little silly then they have just one turn and use the skill to get two. Why not just start him with two turns instead of going through those extra steps?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

I find it funny playing Nocturne now, how when I was going through the SMT4 DLC and saw the demon that had a skill that could just make more press turns I thought it was really unique and impressive. Little did I know that like every boss in Nocturne can do it! It gets a little silly then they have just one turn and use the skill to get two. Why not just start him with two turns instead of going through those extra steps?

Because then they can't spam their drat Beast Eye and literally kill you before you get a turn. :colbert:

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I've seen that infamous Mot video. Looks like the enemies can get pretty ruthless with it if they wanted to.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Think of the SMT4 skill as catharsis for people who had played SMT3 before.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Quick skill question: Should I take Divine Shot over Lunge?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

You still have Lunge that far in the game? :psyduck: Yeah. Yeaaaah.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Because the press turn granting skills only give half press turns so a boss isn't gaining extra actions for exploiting weaknesses and critting.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Yeah, Divine Shot has a pretty high innate crit rate. Plus it looks way cool.

Don't ever replace it with Iron Claw though. It's a bit stronger but has poo poo accuracy.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I does look really cool. You know, I never actually saw any other single-hit physical skills between Lunge and Divine Shot. Well maybe there was one or two early on that I don't remember, but it was a little weird. But they're probably just in some magatama I haven't maxed out.

I also went through the third Kalpa yesterday. That whole prolonged maze/puzzle section with featuring Dante from the Devil May Cry Series chasing you down and taunting you with things like "You'll never hit those two switches!" was pretty weird. Not bad, just something I never would have expected.

subhelios
May 26, 2013

I does look really cool. You know, I never actually saw any other single-hit physical skills between Lunge and Divine Shot. Well maybe there was one or two early on that I don't remember, but it was a little weird. But they're probably just in some magatama I haven't maxed out.

I also went through the third Kalpa yesterday. That whole prolonged maze/puzzle section with featuring Dante from the Devil May Cry Series chasing you down and taunting you with things like "You'll never hit those two switches!" was pretty weird. Not bad, just something I never would have expected.

You end up being able to recruit him at some point. Definitely do that as he is is helpful in pretty much every situation, up to and including the Lucifer fight (on Normal anyways, I wouldn't recommend using him on the Hard version).

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
The problem with bringing him to the Lucifer fight is that he doesn't have Pierce, which just makes the entire fight longer than it needs to be.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

By the by, you should go back through there later once you've gotten the Satan Magatama, because there's a swank secret demon in there then who will join you regardless of level.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Saigyouji posted:

The problem with bringing him to the Lucifer fight is that he doesn't have Pierce, which just makes the entire fight longer than it needs to be.

True, but on the other hand it's cool as hell to kick Lucifer's rear end with him :black101:

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Saigyouji posted:

Also his stats will suck compared to...well, anything you'd normally want to bring into that fight. Since you can't fuse him with sacrifices/Mitama he's never going to come close to the utility of a properly fused demon.

He's got some cool skills but he's honestly kind of dead weight in the endgame. It would have been nice if he didn't waste a party slot.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Genpei Turtle posted:

He's got some cool skills but he's honestly kind of dead weight in the endgame. It would have been nice if he didn't waste a party slot.

Stinger alone justifies bringing him along for grinding trash mobs.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Genpei Turtle posted:

Also his stats will suck compared to...well, anything you'd normally want to bring into that fight. Since you can't fuse him with sacrifices/Mitama he's never going to come close to the utility of a properly fused demon.

Can you summon another demon in his place if he bites it?

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Here comes the third tactic.
Lipstick Apathy

ChaosArgate posted:

Can you summon another demon in his place if he bites it?

He doesn't have to be in your party, but he's always in your stock.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Iserlohn posted:

He doesn't have to be in your party, but he's always in your stock.

Oh that's not as bad then. When people say he permanently takes a demon slot I thought they meant he was always in the active party no matter what.

subhelios
May 26, 2013

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

True, but on the other hand it's cool as hell to kick Lucifer's rear end with him :black101:

That's why I said the Normal Lucifer fight, because he's such a goddamn joke on Normal I can be literally the only one with Pierce in my party and still win easily and rather quickly.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I really see why people disliked the fiend fights in 4 now. Well, besides the absurd encounter rate. In Nocturne, it's like a real event fighting them. They have a little cutscene in the beginning and it feels like a big deal. It still feels like an event in 4, but mostly because they are so hard to find that when you do get one you are shocked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unmature
May 9, 2008

I really see why people disliked the fiend fights in 4 now. Well, besides the absurd encounter rate. In Nocturne, it's like a real event fighting them. They have a little cutscene in the beginning and it feels like a big deal. It still feels like an event in 4, but mostly because they are so hard to find that when you do get one you are shocked.

I think 4's weird production values and presentation cheapen a few things. It may just be that I'm coming right off P4G with it's awesome anime scenes and fully animated 3D cutscenes, but the scenes in 4 really put me off. The fading in and out and static sprites flying around the screen always feel weird and break up the flow.