Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Fish Shalami posted:

Just got a new card, still Group II thank god. Kathy said they've been clearing a lot of jobs this summer, there was a Matson job open board when I went in actually, but they ship will be laying up mid-September.

What do they have that's laying up? Just curious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish Shalami
Feb 6, 2005

What is shalami?

shovelbum posted:

What do they have that's laying up? Just curious.

Matsonia

Not sure how long the yard period is though.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Fish Shalami posted:

Matsonia

Not sure how long the yard period is though.

I remember that was just parked in Oakland for a lot of the winter, wonder what they're doing with it.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys
Man the AMO job board is depressing if you're a mate. Sure wish I was a 1A/E with a mountain of MSC training, then I could get a sweet 120 day hitch on the brand new MLP Montford Point.

Fish Shalami
Feb 6, 2005

What is shalami?
AMO is depressing.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Good goddamn:

http://gcaptain.com/passenger-ferry-in-collision-with-cargo-shi/

There's a striking picture.

Fish Shalami
Feb 6, 2005

What is shalami?

quote:

The Sulpicio Express 7 is owned by unlisted firm Philippine Span Asia Carrier Corp, formerly known as Sulpicio Lines Inc, which owned the MV Dona Paz ferry.That vessel collided with a tanker in the Sibuyan Sea in December 1987, killing 4,375 on the ferry and 11 of the tanker’s 13-man crew

Holy poo poo.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Pffff, that's nothing. You want an accident report? Check this poo poo out:

quote:

I have reviewed this Report and concur with the Recommendation. It is not often that we have a collision between a ship and a van but stranger things do happen.

Preliminary and Final Report

At about 0800 on March 2, 2008, SHIP moored starboard side toward the pier in Tauranga, New Zealand waiting for stores from the local chandler, Bay Providers.

The local chandler arrived in a Toyota van at the pier’s gate and went through security screening. Local shore side security personnel checked both inside and outside of the automobile. The driver’s credentials were verified. The local chandler, having successfully completed security screening, was allowed to proceed on to the pier.

At 1030 the chandler drove the Toyota van, loaded with the ship’s stores, and parked next to the gangway facing the ship. The chandler left the van’s transmission in neutral and did not set the parking break. When the chandler exited the van to deliver the ship’s stores the van rolled forward 6 to 8 feet down the gently sloping pier and allided with the ship’s starboard side underneath lifeboat number 1. The impact damaged the van’s bumper and scratched paint off SHIP's hull.

The incident was caused by carelessness on behalf of the chandler when he left the transmission in neutral and did not set the parking brake when parked on a sloped surface.

It is recommended that this case be closed without further action.

Comrade Blyatlov fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Aug 23, 2013

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

You might want to censor the second appearance of the Ship's name. :cheeky:

By the way, what's the difference between a MV and a MS?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Jaguars! posted:

By the way, what's the difference between a MV and a MS?

MV is Motor Vessel, MS is MotorSchiff or something like that. German and Scandinavian ships are MS, basically everyone else is MV.

You really only say it when the ship's name could be confused with something else, like the guy or city it's named after. If there's a company prefix or suffix, you can skip the abbreviation.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

I keep seeing speculation about unrest in Egypt shutting down the Suez and what that means for the world economy, but nobody is willing to examine what will happen to the Egyptian economy when their supply of Marlboros dries up. :colbert:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Azipod posted:

I keep seeing speculation about unrest in Egypt shutting down the Suez and what that means for the world economy, but nobody is willing to examine what will happen to the Egyptian economy when their supply of Marlboros dries up. :colbert:

The horror... The horror...

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

My favorite part about the Suez canal worries is the Russians using it to promote the Northern Sea Route. :ussr:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I've been reading Israeli history lately, and I suddenly realized that one of the consequences of the Six Day War was that the Suez Canal was closed for 8 years.

Also:

quote:

The Yellow Fleet was the name given to a group of fifteen ships trapped in the Suez Canal (in the Great Bitter Lake section) from 1967 to 1975 as a result of the Six-Day War. Both sides of the canal had been blocked by ships scuttled by the Egyptians.[1] The name Yellow Fleet derived from their yellow appearance as they were increasingly covered in a desert sand swept on board. After eight years the only ships able to leave under their own power were the German ships, Münsterland and Nordwind.
:stare:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

They rotated the crews on and off after a while though, so it's not like they got stuck there for eight years.

But still, gently caress that noise. Bet your sea time wouldn't even count.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

No surprises that the Germans know how to build things how to last, once again.

None of this Italian shite.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Hey y'all remember when we were joking around about Suez?

http://gcaptain.com/cosco-asia-containership-attacked/

Welp, someone went and tried to attack a container ship somehow. To all of you in the area, I wish you the best of luck, and if any of you is an SSO... Well I'm happy I'm not you, enjoy the suck and the paperwork!

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

USCG and USPH in two days. Goddamn. We nailed both of them, though.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

So, Suez developments:

http://www.imarest.org/GainKnowledg..._medium=twitter

quote:

Vessels and their crews are being warned about the risk of damage to vessels transiting the Suez Canal from a group calling itself ‘Al Furqan’. The group has taken credit for an RPG and machine gun attack on the Cosco Asia that occurred on 31 August, 2013 on the eastern side of the canal at El-Sharqiya. A video by the attackers has been made available on YouTube and shows a small group of individuals (that have been pixelated) firing at the vessel – with one visible point of contact.

Although the vessel cleared the canal and there is currently heightened military security in place, the fact that there has been no clear information as to damage inflicted on the vessel and other possible incidents has raised eyebrows.

American security firm Nexus Consulting believes that crews – including marine engineers, need to adopt special safety measures and has issued a warning to vessels looking to transit the canal. Encouraging crews to remain vigilant during a transit it recommends minimising all shore side entity interactions and ensuring that the Suez Canal riding gang are confirmed, identified and limited to only necessary access

Stating that “strong considerations should be given to transit operations to ensure unnecessary crew exposure is kept to a minimum”, it strongly recommends that pilot ladders be utilised only on the western side of the vessel (Northbound rig on Port Side, Southbound rig on Starboard side).

Furthermore, crews are encouraged to maintain the highest state of passive security, familiarise themselves with emergency security procedures. It also advises that crew should consider deviating from ISM procedures such as wearing bright orange safety vests in order to lessen attention to individuals by shore side threats.

Bolding mine. Their site also recommends carrying a first aid kit on the bridge, because... Uh... Has anyone ever been on a ship that didn't have a first aid kit on the bridge?

Stratafyre
Apr 3, 2009

:stare: :supaburn: :j:
I was promoted to relieve the second mate, and it tacked on an extra month to my work tour.

That month included the shipyard. I was curious about the shipyard, and now we're here. I don't like shipyards :(

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

So apparently I'm scheduled for a 4 month gig on a T-AGS research vessel in late October. Anyone sailed on one of these before? Do NAVOCEAN scientists drink like civilian scientists?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Azipod posted:

So apparently I'm scheduled for a 4 month gig on a T-AGS research vessel in late October. Anyone sailed on one of these before? Do NAVOCEAN scientists drink like civilian scientists?

If you are on one that has REMUS, pm me.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

So I'm sure y'all saw this one, and I should probably quit it with the GCaptain stuff but :drat::

[quote="GCaptain
]The Tanzanian-registered cargo ship MV Gold Star, loaded with an estimated 30 tons of cannabis, caught fire on Friday 6 September while in international waters 30 nautical miles north of Malta.[/quote]

And before you ask, yes, it is a cargo fire.

Fish Shalami
Feb 6, 2005

What is shalami?

Azipod posted:

Those are MEBA aren't they?

I think the only reason to go on Research ships is for the girls, but that isn't saying much.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Fish Shalami posted:

Those are MEBA aren't they?

I think the only reason to go on Research ships is for the girls, but that isn't saying much.

I'm with AMO. Maybe MEBA has some, there are a bunch of them. Dispatch said the contract is the same as my last ship, though I'll be making a little less without the bomb pay. I'm hoping to get some decent port calls, Sunny Pt NC and Kuwait Naval Base were just not doing it for me.

FrozenVent posted:

So I'm sure y'all saw this one, and I should probably quit it with the GCaptain stuff but :drat::

And before you ask, yes, it is a cargo fire.

Smoke cargo erry day. :420: :350:

sharkytm posted:

If you are on one that has REMUS, pm me.

I looked up that acronym, its some sort of ROV system? I don't know anything solid about the ship yet but I'll shoot you a line if I confirm anything like that.

Polikarpov fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Sep 10, 2013

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Was looking for something in my bookshelf, found this book I bought from a library sale a few years back

Made an album with some highlights, including the five or so pages on veneral diseases: http://imgur.com/a/A5QDm

Kinda glad that the worst thing I had to deal with was a kidney stone, and that was "Take some Tylenols or whatever and go to the E/R tomorrow."

FrozenVent fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Sep 10, 2013

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I see you're still jealous of the majesty of my "A Glossary of Sea Terms."

Here's the entry for Officer of the Deck:

quote:

An officer taking his turn in charge of a naval vessel.
He acts as the captain's representative.
He carries a spy glass or binoculars and wears white gloves. He is, during his tour of duty, senior to all officers but the captain and the executive.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Wait until I bust out the "Admiralty Manual of Seamanship" chapter on surviving on a desert island.

But yes, I'm jealous of that book. I never got any white gloves, damnit.

potentiometer
Dec 31, 2006

FrozenVent posted:

Kinda glad that the worst thing I had to deal with was a kidney stone, and that was "Take some Tylenols or whatever and go to the E/R tomorrow."

When I got my MMD healthcare was free for merchant seaman through the Public Health Hospitals, President Reagan put a stop to that though, actually had to cancel an appointment because I was informed that I would need to bring money....dammit!

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Azipod posted:

I looked up that acronym, its some sort of ROV system? I don't know anything solid about the ship yet but I'll shoot you a line if I confirm anything like that.

Not an ROV, an AUV. 100% autonomous.
Basically, program a mission, put the vehicle in the water, hit go. Vehicle does mission and comes back. Depths of up to 6000 meters!

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

I am an Australian seafarer (IR, A/B, Greaser etc) and have been doing some Antarctic work of late.

Toying with the idea of emigrating to Canada, realistically, how hard would it be for me to get work on ice boats in the arctic if I have a current Polar Medical, or can show proof of history of polar medicals, or have experience in working in sub-zero conditions etc.

Is there much work at all in seafaring in Canada or is it all FOC'd? What would my chances of picking up decky work in the Arctic circle?

Or would I be better off to go do my Mates ticket?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

There's no such thing as a polar medical in Canada, and sub-zero experience is, well... Extremely common, since it doesn't get as cold in the arctic during the navigation season as it gets down south during the Christmas shopping season. The whole deal with sea suctions getting clogged with ice crystals? That comes up during the OOW orals.

Most of the shipping in the Canadian arctic is Canadian-flag short sea shipping, with an increasing number of cruises... The cruises are foreign flagged, but the cargo boats are Canadian so you'd need to have the right visas to work in Canada. It's been done and there's a labor shortage on the horizon if you ask me, but I wouldn't know the exact procedure.

Basically check the websites about immigrating to Canada, (Citizenship and immigartion Canada I think?) as far as I know there aren't any special procedures for seamen.

StopShootingMe
Jun 8, 2004

I can't believe I spent $5 on this title.

Sludge Tank posted:

I am an Australian seafarer (IR, A/B, Greaser etc) and have been doing some Antarctic work of late.

Toying with the idea of emigrating to Canada, realistically, how hard would it be for me to get work on ice boats in the arctic if I have a current Polar Medical, or can show proof of history of polar medicals, or have experience in working in sub-zero conditions etc.

Is there much work at all in seafaring in Canada or is it all FOC'd? What would my chances of picking up decky work in the Arctic circle?

Or would I be better off to go do my Mates ticket?

Do your understudy, if you have the means. Where Pioneer went, others will follow.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

If you have the seatime, go do your ticket. This is almost always the correct answer, unless you can sail as a chief with your seconds.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Cheers. The other option was to do the Master Class 5 course at AMC and chase other avenues of nefarious work. For me as an MUA/IR person it seems like it's getting reeeeeally tight about especially seeing as they seem to be pumping people through STCW training left right and centre, and now with lib govt who knows what's on the horizon for me. I'm genuinely concerned for my career future in the Aus maritime industry and don't think there will be much work for me as a qualified IR on the aussie coast.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The gently caress is an MUA/IR?

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
MUA - Maritimee Union of Australia
IR - Integrated Rating (A/B and Greaser)

Saw this getting around..

Link

Chief mate falls out of FRC during drill... fails to hook himself up to the deadman lead, FRC flies off over the horizon. Navy recovers it. Lulz were had.

quote:

A joint effort by the Headquarters Northern Command and Navy mine hunter HMAS Huon has lead to the recovery of a merchant vessel’s high speed rescue craft, which was adrift in the Timor Sea for more than six days.

The grateful owner, oil rig tender MV Far Grip lost the craft on Monday 2 September during exercises in the area of Evans Shoal, approximately 137 nautical miles north of Cape Bougainville. The captain of the tender’s sister ship MV Far Sky, a former Australian customs officer, telephoned the Headquarters Northern Command in Darwin requesting assistance in locating the unmanned craft. A Customs and Border Protection Dash 8 aircraft located the bright orange, 6 metre vessel several times during the week although the MV Far Grip was unable to recover the craft.

The craft was found by HMAS Huon (Mine Hunter Coastal Crew Two) just south of the Joint Petroleum Development Area at approximately 3:00pm on Saturday. Huon’s Phase Three Maritime Warfare Officer, Sub Lieutenant Brenton Palmer led a small team to board the craft.
”We could see fairly quickly that we couldn’t hoist the craft onto Huon’s boat deck” SBLT Palmer said.
“Instead, our Marine Technician, Leading Seaman Jamie Pottie got the craft’s engines running while staff at Northern Command in Darwin used the craft’s IMO number to contact the owners”.
The MV Far Grip had already returned to Darwin port so arrangements were made for another sister ship, the MV Lady Malindas, which was only several hours away, to rendezvous with Huon and crane the craft to safety.
”It was a fun evolution,” said SBLT Palmer.
“I got to have my first “drive” as we trailed Huon in the rescue craft to the rendezvous point with the MV Lady Malindas.
“It was a good feeling to have cleared the area of a significant navigational hazard.
“Not to mention, I’m sure the crew of the MV Far Grip were grateful to have their rescue craft back!”

Not the only incident of late involving merchant and navy vessels although another incident i've been told of much more serious involving some dodgy mooring lines and a collins class submarine

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Sep 14, 2013

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Wake damage best damage. There used to be a restaurant on the St. Clair river whose basement you could flood if you went by too fast...

In other news, GCaptain has a link to the feed of the parbuckling (There's your vocab word of the day) of the Concordia, to start tonight at 00:00 Eastern. http://gcaptain.com/costa-concordia-parbuckling-watch-live/

It's expected to take a while, so I don't plan to stay up and watch it, but hey.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo, a friend of mine says the unlicensed on their ship work 6 hours on 4 hours off round the clock. Is this normal with some companies?

shovelbum fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Sep 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

That's illegal, hth.

• Locked thread