Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

Sefer posted:

He's still at least an ECL 25 right now, which may make it hard to find anything that actually gives him XP.

A level 21 sorcerer lich definitely isn't CR 25. A 23 or maybe even a 22. Levels from templates scale worse for both pure casters and for higher level characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

greatn posted:

It debunked that specifically? Ha, I was only making a joke.

Well, "debunked" in the sense that Keith Baker shows up as an actual in-universe character for a one-off gag. So since he exists in-universe already, he can't be the Snarl.

Seriously, anyone who hasn't really should go buy and read Start of Darkness. It's amazing.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

peak debt posted:

A level 21 sorcerer lich definitely isn't CR 25. A 23 or maybe even a 22. Levels from templates scale worse for both pure casters and for higher level characters.

Doesn't change the fact that a level 21 Sorcerer with the Lich template (+4 level adjustment, not CR) has an ECL of 25, which is what's used in determining XP gain when you're gaining XP.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

peak debt posted:

CR and ECL aren't the same thing. Vampires, for instance, are CR + 2 and ECL + 8! (Which is ridiculous).

ECL determines how much experience you get from an encounter, CR is how much you give if defeated.

As a side note this means Durkon is pretty hosed on the whole 'gaining levels' thing for a long time.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Xykon probably goes off on planar adventures for his xp at this point.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

Red Metal posted:

Doesn't change the fact that a level 21 Sorcerer with the Lich template (+4 level adjustment, not CR) has an ECL of 25, which is what's used in determining XP gain when you're gaining XP.

Zore posted:

CR and ECL aren't the same thing. Vampires, for instance, are CR + 2 and ECL + 8! (Which is ridiculous).

ECL determines how much experience you get from an encounter, CR is how much you give if defeated.

As a side note this means Durkon is pretty hosed on the whole 'gaining levels' thing for a long time.

Doesn't ECL only affect PCs? (So Durkon, screwed; Xykon, not.) I thought NPCs could be these things free of that consequence.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

W.T. Fits posted:

Well, "debunked" in the sense that Keith Baker shows up as an actual in-universe character for a one-off gag. So since he exists in-universe already, he can't be the Snarl.

Seriously, anyone who hasn't really should go buy and read Start of Darkness. It's amazing.

I'd like to buy it but it isn't for sale anywhere because Burlew apparently trusts digital sales about as much as ulillillia. I can walk over to the one gaming store and pretend they have it in stock.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Kajeesus posted:

It's not "your dad is a commoner," it's "your dad is a dick." Rich likes to show off similarities between people of conflicting alignments and goals, and Tarquin distrusts Haley for exactly the same reason Ian distrusts Elan.
He literally says "lowly stock." That doesn't mean 'dick,' it means 'commoner.'

Cat Mattress posted:

Clawing one's way to the top through ruthless intrigue and brutal conquest is exactly what defines a first-generation blueblood.
There's no such thing as a first generation blueblood - someone who earns or takes their position does not have the same mindset as someone born into it. The whole thing of nobility, of the idea of 'stock,' is the notion that you're special and deserving because of who your parents were. Tarquin's descendents a couple generations down the line could easily be nobility and think like nobility, or at least they could if he actually kept his children around to give powerful positions to and didn't kill them. But Tarquin himself is a common person who seized power, so it makes zero sense for him to consider 'common people' to be inferior as a class.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

greatn posted:

I'd like to buy it but it isn't for sale anywhere because Burlew apparently trusts digital sales about as much as ulillillia. I can walk over to the one gaming store and pretend they have it in stock.

You can order a physical copy straight from Ookoodook if you want, but yeah, Rich isn't a fan of eBooks because the print compilations are one of his only sources of income from the comic and his core audience is sort of infamous for not paying full-price for the books they want.

e:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10753359#post10753359

Apparently Rich doesn't really make enough per copy to have a ton of unsold books just lying around when people are buying the digital version? That seems sort of odd, especially post-kickstarter, but I don't know nearly enough about publishing to say he's wrong.

Niton fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Aug 30, 2013

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Strudel Man posted:

But Tarquin himself is a common person who seized power, so it makes zero sense for him to consider 'common people' to be inferior as a class.
Except that Tarquin fundamentally believes in narrative. So no there's lots of reason for him to think in much the way a fifth generation noble would.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Zogundar posted:

Doesn't ECL only affect PCs? (So Durkon, screwed; Xykon, not.) I thought NPCs could be these things free of that consequence.

When Xykon goes on his leveling trips, he's effectively a PC. So it's 20something+4 for determing what XP he gets.

As an opponent, it's 20something+2 for determining what XP he gives.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Strudel Man posted:

The whole thing of nobility, of the idea of 'stock,' is the notion that you're special and deserving because of who your parents were.

He means "stock" in the sense of how you breed cattle, not how you breed nobility.

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.

Strudel Man posted:

He literally says "lowly stock." That doesn't mean 'dick,' it means 'commoner.'

so it makes zero sense for him to consider 'common people' to be inferior as a class.

I doubt Tarquin considers himself to be a "common person" even if he came from "common people". Tarquin likely considers everyone that is not him or his kids to be "lowly stock", that's what makes him an arrogant/magnificent douche. It's a burn on Ian for being made into a "Terrorist/assassin/wanted man" and a dig against Haley for being Ian's kid.

I doubt it really tells us much on Tarquin's view of class politics, he seems to be more of a "if you can take it, it's yours" kind of guy.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Niton posted:

You can order a physical copy straight from Ookoodook if you want, but yeah, Rich isn't a fan of eBooks because the print compilations are one of his only sources of income from the comic and his core audience is sort of infamous for not paying full-price for the books they want.

e:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10753359#post10753359

Apparently Rich doesn't really make enough per copy to have a ton of unsold books just lying around when people are buying the digital version? That seems sort of odd, especially post-kickstarter, but I don't know nearly enough about publishing to say he's wrong.

Much like all other CD, book and bideo games publisher, he could sell both. But Rich's kinda weird.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I mean, he might have a point, fearing piracy of the digital version, except it's relatively probable someone scanned and put up pirated versions the day the books shipped anyway.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
His reasoning was that if he did ebooks then the digital sales would cannibalise those of the print versions to the point where it was no longer economical to sell physical copies, and he likes physical copies because :corsair:.

That may well actually be true. It's still a spectacularly stupid decision given that he writes a loving webcomic of all things, but he's not going to change his mind.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

D1Sergo posted:

I doubt Tarquin considers himself to be a "common person" even if he came from "common people". Tarquin likely considers everyone that is not him or his kids to be "lowly stock", that's what makes him an arrogant/magnificent douche. It's a burn on Ian for being made into a "Terrorist/assassin/wanted man" and a dig against Haley for being Ian's kid.

I doubt it really tells us much on Tarquin's view of class politics, he seems to be more of a "if you can take it, it's yours" kind of guy.

Well, actually, I think he just looks down on everyone without a player class. (And he'd pretty much be right to, we've met like one person without a player class who was competent in anything and that was Shojo.)

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Niton posted:

Printing books is a remarkably expensive process, and becomes moreso the smaller the print run gets. I used to work at an independent publisher, and we needed to sell most of the books in a print run before we started seeing a genuine profit. I can see his reasoning.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Wanderer posted:

Printing books is a remarkably expensive process, and becomes moreso the smaller the print run gets. I used to work at an independent publisher, and we needed to sell most of the books in a print run before we started seeing a genuine profit. I can see his reasoning.

What about when the books go permanently out of print forever? If the kickstarter had failed, would he have released digital copies?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

sfwarlock posted:

What about when the books go permanently out of print forever? If the kickstarter had failed, would he have released digital copies?

Perhaps. You'd have to ask him; but I think the point is moot.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

greatn posted:

I mean, he might have a point, fearing piracy of the digital version, except it's relatively probable someone scanned and put up pirated versions the day the books shipped anyway.

Funny thing is, nobody ever did that. There's a bad copy of Start of Darkness somewhere on the internet but that's it. I guess people who pay money for stick comics and people who upload stuff don't overlap,

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Call Now posted:

Funny thing is, nobody ever did that. There's a bad copy of Start of Darkness somewhere on the internet but that's it. I guess people who pay money for stick comics and people who upload stuff don't overlap,

Oh well that's nice. I guess there kind of is a happy ending there.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

greatn posted:

Oh well that's nice. I guess there kind of is a happy ending there.

He says in that quote that piracy doesn't worry him, he just thinks physical sales only will make him more money.

I am surprised he hasn't tested his theory by putting up, say, OTOOP to see what it does to physical sales though.

The next book is a day one purchase for me.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I'd rather have physical copies anyway- there's just something so satisfying about print and paper.

Though I do kind of wonder if this is a generational thing- I'm over 30 now and I wonder if the younger generation prefers e-ink or whatever.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
The flaw in Rich's logic is that 'no one who has a PDF will want a physical book' part. Why no, I wouldn't both like to have a physical, permanent copy of Start of Darkness and one I can read on a phone or tablet, why would you ever think that?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I think the fact that cannibalizing part of the print market will make it too costly to proceed with the print market is probably a very reasonable point. I mean he'll probably make more money with both if he can do both, but probably less if he has to choose to go digital. Also I can totally understand wanting to be in print, even if you make more digital it probably feels like more of an accomplishment as a producer of content.

Pope Guilty posted:

Though I do kind of wonder if this is a generational thing- I'm over 30 now and I wonder if the younger generation prefers e-ink or whatever.
Are you confused as to what e-ink is or something? Because e-ink readers are so much better than reading print books it's not even funny. I haven't used one of the color ones mind, maybe those are awful.

I am also over 30. And my sixty year old father gave up reading books but giving him a kindle got him back into it.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

sfwarlock posted:

At the place I used to work at, we had enough people ask on a week-by-week basis that it was tempting to reprint one of our best-sellers, but it wasn't financially feasible because we'd need to print ten thousand copies at a go. Yeah, twenty people a week call up begging to buy it, but even if all twenty of those people mean well, you're still throwing maybe a hundred fifty grand out the window and gambling that most of it's gonna blow back in.

This is why half the small-press people on the planet independently poo poo themselves at the success of the Kickstarter. I'd imagine most of the small-press publishers and a few of the big ones have a similar story to tell you: there's something in their back catalog that they want to reprint due to popular demand but it's just not financially justifiable. Burlew crowdsourced the risk and it paid off. Now he doesn't want to gamble on digital sales cannibalizing physical sales and even if he's paranoid, the realities of the small press say it's a reasonable fear.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Call Now posted:

No, there's good-enough copies of Start of Darkness and Origin of PCs, and people have made pdfs of the comics that're online. No scans of the print copies of the compliations, sadly.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Zogundar posted:

If an NPC is a force of the plot, they're just going to be whatever level the DM wants them to be at the time the party encounters them; see all the jokes about Crystal being tough enough to challenge Haley even though Haley had been out actively adventuring because she was her rival and therefore required by the narrative to be of comparable strength regardless of what Crystal had been doing herself in the interim.

Xykon probably works the same way in that he's going to be as strong as the plot needs him to be, but as a more developed character we at least get to see some justification for it. If your DM is :spergin: enough to track adventures and advancement for off-screen NPCs then he would be affected normally by his Level Adjustment.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

CapnAndy posted:

No, there's good-enough copies of Start of Darkness and Origin of PCs, and people have made pdfs of the comics that're online. No scans of the print copies of the compliations, sadly.

I occasionally have the notion of taking the print books, cutting open the spine, and re-binding them in a fancy fancy book form.
There is a thread in BBS about binding comic trades.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
That sounds amazing and I'm sure we'd all love to see it if you do. It better be hardcover, though. :colbert:

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Pope Guilty posted:

I'd rather have physical copies anyway- there's just something so satisfying about print and paper.

After having lost or abandoned most of my comics from the age of 5+ to time, decay, or just plain "I don't have room for these 3 tupperware containers full of Dragonball Z comics", I tremendously prefer comics in a PDF/CBZ format that are only going to be lost if a main server drive and 2 external USB backups simultaneously fail.

On the other hand, I came from a household that included 4 younger comic-reading siblings so maybe I'm more sensitive to the whole "whoops I shredded your comic because it got wedged under the leg of my bed" thing.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
That's the reason I only ever buy tradebacks. Keeping up with individual issues is just annoying.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Voyager I posted:

If an NPC is a force of the plot, they're just going to be whatever level the DM wants them to be at the time the party encounters them; see all the jokes about Crystal being tough enough to challenge Haley even though Haley had been out actively adventuring because she was her rival and therefore required by the narrative to be of comparable strength regardless of what Crystal had been doing herself in the interim.

Xykon probably works the same way in that he's going to be as strong as the plot needs him to be, but as a more developed character we at least get to see some justification for it. If your DM is :spergin: enough to track adventures and advancement for off-screen NPCs then he would be affected normally by his Level Adjustment.

Let's not forget that OOTS is not a game being played. In-universe, Xykon is a PC. Ish.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Sep 1, 2013

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Pope Guilty posted:

I'm over 30 and buy my monthly stuff digitally, but anything I really like I end up buying in print, since I don't particularly like digital collections.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

The Leper Colon V posted:

That sounds amazing and I'm sure we'd all love to see it if you do. It better be hardcover, though. :colbert:

It's on my giant "Things I would like to do" list. If anyone has any designs for a kick-rear end cover, post 'em :V

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Johnny Aztec posted:

It's on my giant "Things I would like to do" list. If anyone has any designs for a kick-rear end cover, post 'em :V
I found this on DeviantArt, which is shockingly pretty good.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

CapnAndy posted:

I found this on DeviantArt, which is shockingly pretty good.

I know Rich's done it himself but I'm curious as to see how other artists would interpret the OoTS characters with realistic styles.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Calaveron posted:

I know Rich's done it himself but I'm curious as to see how other artists would interpret the OoTS characters with realistic styles.

Well, reluctant as I am to link to the other place and also it depends on how you classify "realistic" but there is "The Order of the Stick Manga"...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

jng2058 posted:

Well, reluctant as I am to link to the other place and also it depends on how you classify "realistic" but there is "The Order of the Stick Manga"...
That's actually pretty good!

I was hoping to find OotS done in other styles when I did my search, but, y'know... DeviantArt. Has this person ever seen a human neck ever