Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

Redmark posted:

Man, DDC Lunatic is really crushing me. I thought EoSD Lunatic was legit but I'm lucky to even get through Cirno with all my resources :shepface:

At least I think I'm getting the hang of Extra, ie. get an enormous amount of resources and bulldog through the boss like I do with every other game. It's a bit tricky getting to the PoC for the last streaming section though.

Stage 4 EoSD Lunatic is what kills me. What, I have to learn how to avoid these books? :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
What's ripping me to shreds right now is Kagerou on Hard. I'm getting the hang of her spell cards, but the nonspells during the second fight are "just go ahead and bomb here, rear end in a top hat" sections for me.

Quinn2win fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Aug 28, 2013

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
There are so many situations where I think "how the gently caress do I do this", and I watch a Japanese world record replay and they just bomb it :geno:

C'mon JP players, you gotta get these routes down faster. I can't come up with strategies on my own :qq:

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I only truly understood how Bad At Touhou I was when it took me 85 rounds of Spell Practice to figure out a consistent way to capture Shinmyoumaru's knifey card.

On Normal.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Redmark posted:

There are so many situations where I think "how the gently caress do I do this", and I watch a Japanese world record replay and they just bomb it :geno:

C'mon JP players, you gotta get these routes down faster. I can't come up with strategies on my own :qq:

The thing about "world records" is that the only appreciable record in a shmup is scoring, and scoring well requires using a ton of bombs. What you wanna look at is challenge replays. No Bombs No Death runs where it's at, yo.

Also I only managed to capture like, three of Shinmoumaru's cards. Toughest stage 6 boss yet if you ask me.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

HMS Boromir posted:

I only truly understood how Bad At Touhou I was when it took me 85 rounds of Spell Practice to figure out a consistent way to capture Shinmyoumaru's knifey card.

On Normal.

This is why bombs were invented.

I suppose a lot of people like to play all the games as if they were Shoot the Bullet style puzzle games, but from my perspective Touhou is a resource management game. You have to accurately assess the risk of each pattern and bomb appropriately. Shinmyoumaru's knifey spellcard falls squarely into the category of "Oh god, this is impossible, time to mash X". Honestly the fact that you captured it at all kind of impresses me.

Although I've always wondered why the capture bonuses aren't bigger than they are. It seems to me that score runs should focus on capturing as many spellcards as possible, and maybe bombing on non-spells, but as far as I can tell they don't.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013

a cartoon duck posted:

The thing about "world records" is that the only appreciable record in a shmup is scoring, and scoring well requires using a ton of bombs. What you wanna look at is challenge replays. No Bombs No Death runs where it's at, yo.

Also I only managed to capture like, three of Shinmoumaru's cards. Toughest stage 6 boss yet if you ask me.
That would take more effort! And I can't imagine bombs would be useful for scoring with, say, Marisa-A. Marisa-B and both Sakuyas seem to be the main offenders in that respect.

Shinmyoumaru might be difficult overall but there weren't any cards which seemed completely overwhelming like Scarlet Meister. I captured her final spellcard on Normal first try :smug: I'm not entirely sure how to evaluate the hitbox expansion gimmick yet but it seems fairly easily trivialized with practice.

quote:

Although I've always wondered why the capture bonuses aren't bigger than they are. It seems to me that score runs should focus on capturing as many spellcards as possible, and maybe bombing on non-spells, but as far as I can tell they don't.
When runs get optimized they capture every spellcard except the ones where you can only supergraze with bombs (and even then probably only Sak-B will do that). Since in previous games grazing increases the spellcard bonus there wasn't an incentive to shotgun them, so they tended to be captured at the last moment. I'm not sure if that's still how it works in DDC since I haven't really explored the scoring system yet.

Redmark fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Aug 28, 2013

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Kheldragar posted:

Stage 4 EoSD Lunatic is what kills me. What, I have to learn how to avoid these books? :suicide:

Literally nobody can do the green book spam consistently, and I'm speaking as someone who has about 50 hours of EoSD lunatic no-bomb attempts under his belt. Stage 4 aside from that is mostly static memorization stuff that doesn't pose much of a threat (aside from the retarded bullet-cancelling section right before Patchouli).

SirSlarty
Dec 23, 2003

that's wicked

Redmark posted:

supergraze

I've only been playing for a couple of months... What's supergrazing?

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013

SirSlarty posted:

I've only been playing for a couple of months... What's supergrazing?

It's not a mechanic or anything, it just refers to exploiting certain patterns to graze a lot while timing out the spell card. For example, with Wakasagihime's first card you can go in and graze through the spirals each time.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

(Almost?) any card that creates a solid wall of tiny bullets can be supergrazed. Some of them nearly force you to do it. It makes a very satisfying clicking noise.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Clarste posted:

(Almost?) any card that creates a solid wall of tiny bullets can be supergrazed. Some of them nearly force you to do it. It makes a very satisfying clicking noise.

I'm a fan of the giant orbs that Yuyuko and Remilia use; it's just so satisfying to go right in between them and not get hit.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

Kheldragar posted:

I'm a fan of the giant orbs that Yuyuko and Remilia use; it's just so satisfying to go right in between them and not get hit.

I was like you once.

Then Storm on Mt. Ooe happened.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

gently caress giant orbs. I cannot comprehend the hitbox on those things, and lord does IN love to make them overlap.

SirSlarty
Dec 23, 2003

that's wicked
Ah, it's a term for ton of grazing all at once. It's fun to do with lasers.

Though I'm still playing on easy (I can get to most games' stage 4 on normal now!), I zip around the screen to graze stray bullets during short lulls. I do find the clicking noise satisfying.

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."

Evil Sagan posted:

gently caress giant orbs. I cannot comprehend the hitbox on those things, and lord does IN love to make them overlap.

Don't play SA, Stage 6 Okuu sure as poo poo likes them spicy meatballs. :suicide:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Evil Sagan posted:

The rule of thumb is that only the very center will kill you.

So while it may not look like it, there are actually a ton of safe spots in those overlapping patterns. In fact that's why the bubble bullets overlap, to make you unsure so you don't just snooze through the whole thing.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Jesus Christ, that's the exact pattern I was thinking of too. I'm gonna nail that next time.

Which is a ways away because I'm now attempting 1cc with 3 lives :(

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I just ignore the white ring. Think of them as if they're focusing and revealing their hitbox dot in the center.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013
Big bubble bullets are more about area denial than actually trying to hit you; I'd focus on the waves of small bullets, since the actual tolerance for those is a lot lower.

(Unless it's EoSD, in which case Remilia hates you and all you stand for.)

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Clarste posted:

This is why bombs were invented.

I suppose a lot of people like to play all the games as if they were Shoot the Bullet style puzzle games, but from my perspective Touhou is a resource management game. You have to accurately assess the risk of each pattern and bomb appropriately. Shinmyoumaru's knifey spellcard falls squarely into the category of "Oh god, this is impossible, time to mash X". Honestly the fact that you captured it at all kind of impresses me.

Here's my chocomagical secret.

It seems to work consistently as long as you stand in that spot at the start. You also have an earlier opportunity to skip between knives to the right that I didn't take, if that's your cup of tea.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Redmark posted:

Big bubble bullets are more about area denial than actually trying to hit you; I'd focus on the waves of small bullets, since the actual tolerance for those is a lot lower.

(Unless it's EoSD, in which case Remilia hates you and all you stand for.)

Dodging Yuyuko's after her first (or was it second) spell card made me feel like I was good at the game. :smith:

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I don't understand why you would make bullets that have hitboxes that are different from the actual bullet. It just encourages trial-and-error gameplay.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

Pureauthor posted:

I don't understand why you would make bullets that have hitboxes that are different from the actual bullet. It just encourages trial-and-error gameplay.

It aids with the spectacle, I think. It's more visually interesting to have TONS OF BULLETS on the screen, and it's satisfying to dodge them all, sometimes even going through them to do so. If all the bullets had the same hitbox as their sprite, there would probably fewer bullets on the screen and it wouldn't be as fun to look at/dodge.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Pureauthor posted:

Man the bubble bullets are the least confusing weird hitbox. Stars and arrows are where the real bullshit lies. :argh:

Also considering your character's hitbox is a fifth of the size of the sprite, is it really that weird for the bullets to mess around too?

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
The arrow hitbox is at the tip of the arrow.

If we're talking about confusing bullet hitboxes, how about those goddamn quarter-rest sign bullets that the musical guys in DDC use?

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

BlitzBlast posted:

Man the bubble bullets are the least confusing weird hitbox. Stars and arrows are where the real bullshit lies. :argh:

Normally I would agree with you, but then these pieces of poo poo happened.

e: whoops beaten, at least we had the same idea

SirSlarty
Dec 23, 2003

that's wicked

BlitzBlast posted:

Stars and arrows are where the real bullshit lies. :argh:

I'm fine with those. Imperfect geometric shapes makes my brain go boom.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013
There seems to be a lot of "can't see poo poo" moments in this game. Especially if you're playing Sakuya-A. Just a bunch of white explosions and white bullets and aaaaaa

Not to mention that one non-spell where the screen shakes every wave. How are we supposed to deal with that :confused:

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

...I'm sorry. I can't seem to remember any of the rest.
You mean Raiko's spell? It's kind of like Reisen's spells, look for an opening before the gimmick happens.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
[[[

Nick Biped
May 22, 2004

In the wrong hands, the stapler is a deadly weapon.

Just got around to playing DDC, and tried it first with Reimu A on Normal.

...So yeah, either I'm way out of practice (haven't really touched a Touhou game in months), or this game is a pretty large step up in difficulty from TD. I don't remember the last time I had to use a continue in Stage 3 for these games. Kinda humbling.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013
It's definitely not easy. I've been grinding out a lot of games on Hard/Lunatic and get mauled by Kagerou every single time. Bullets just often fly really fast in DDC and having to react to everything wears you down after a while.
That and the new PoC mechanics were pretty much made to kill me. I refuse to lose point items even if it costs me all my lives.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
New Finnish 4Koma. Here's the important bit:

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."
Touhou crossed with Gaki No Tsukai, two of my favourite things :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42UtA_Sylfg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNrsep7pJDc

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
I think I'm throwing in the towel on DDC Hard. This is the first game I've played in the series that's so goddamn hard that even Spell Practice being available isn't enough to offset. Kagerou and Seija obliterate me without fail on Hard, and Shinmyoumaru is still tearing me to pieces on normal.

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011
I'm a slowpoke and finally caught up to Hopeless Masquerade. Nitori going from (not) shy helpful gadgeteer to racist, geedy dickhead. There's a libertarian joke in there, somewhere.

What was the deal behind DDC's translation? I remember reading about it being some crowd-sourced thing, or was that the HM translation?

JackMackerel fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Sep 4, 2013

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

So has anyone played the Seihou games? How are they?

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

ProfessorProf posted:

I think I'm throwing in the towel on DDC Hard.

Meanwhile, I've just started transitioning from Normal to Hard and I swear Sekibanki and midboss Benben are easier. Boss Yatsuhashi's a nightmare though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

HMS Boromir posted:

Meanwhile, I've just started transitioning from Normal to Hard and I swear Sekibanki and midboss Benben are easier. Boss Yatsuhashi's a nightmare though.

Sekibanki's last spell card at least is absolutely harder on Normal than it is on Hard, because the Hard version is way easier to micrododge.