Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

The Ferret King posted:

Congrats. After the 3rd, how many do you have to go?

4 more to go. The ones I'm getting are our hardest sectors, so hopefully the rest should go by fairly smoothly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Excellent, keep up the good work. Will this be your first facility rating?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

The Ferret King posted:

Excellent, keep up the good work. Will this be your first facility rating?

Yup. Off the street hire, just a little over 2 years with the agency.

I forgot to mention the popcorn storms that were flaring up as soon as I sat down. And that I was nervous as Hell since they'd been talking about giving me a check ride for a few days. I'll get it tomorrow though.

fknlo fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Aug 23, 2013

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

fknlo posted:

Yup. Off the street hire, just a little over 2 years with the agency.

Congrats, I've been sitting around waiting for an RTF date. Finally going back to OKC to knock that out next month.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Got the third sector just now! Had a nice little push into and out of KSTL, had to do some sequencing, stop climbs for traffic, etc...

It was a really good stint for a check ride and I kicked some rear end.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Excellent work. Get a pay bump too?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

The Ferret King posted:

Excellent work. Get a pay bump too?

Got that last night with the first two. Puts me at D3 pay. Love getting those raises.

This is the guy that didn't do me any favors last night. Check out that climb rate from 4:27-4:30. Don't know if I would have passed just due to how nervous I was, but that didn't help at all.

My supervisor asked if I was comfortable with him turning back to PWE as he was clearing the weather and there was a Southwest opposite direction at FL330. I said "Yeah, he has been climbing fairly well." Then he was at FL330 for 3 hits before I told him to expedite. They never flashed or were even remotely close to being a deal, but still :suicide:

fknlo fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Aug 24, 2013

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

fknlo posted:

4 more to go. The ones I'm getting are our hardest sectors, so hopefully the rest should go by fairly smoothly.

:dance:

In tangentially related news, I start D school on the 16th. :haw:

Sinbad's Sex Tape
Mar 21, 2004
Stuck in a giant clam
Don't expect to get any sort of decent climb rate out of a Frontier and since they all have econ descents don't expect a good descent rate either.

Shavnir
Apr 5, 2005

A MAN'S DREAM CAN NEVER DIE
I did my first time under the hood today. Holy crap, my respect for everyone that's IFR rated just went up by like 300%.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Sinbad's Sex Tape posted:

Don't expect to get any sort of decent climb rate out of a Frontier and since they all have econ descents don't expect a good descent rate either.

Yeah, I learned on my D sides that Frontiers won't give you a good descent unless you absolutely make them. I'd never really had a problem with their climb rates until that specific time. There were a lot of things I could have done to make my supervisor more comfortable with the situation, so I definitely don't blame the aircraft. They just didn't help me out much.

MrYenko posted:

:dance:

In tangentially related news, I start D school on the 16th. :haw:

Congrats, that was quick! I'm sure you've gotten plenty of advice, but just like the academy, play by their rules and you should be good. At my facility at least, they'll absolutely do their best to get you through the class. You have to have a really bad work ethic or just be absolutely terrible for them to wash you out in the back here.

fknlo fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Aug 26, 2013

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

fknlo posted:

Yeah, I learned on my D sides that Frontiers won't give you a good descent unless you absolutely make them. I'd never really had a problem with their climb rates until that specific time. There were a lot of things I could have done to make my supervisor more comfortable with the situation, so I definitely don't blame the aircraft. They just didn't help me out much.

Congrats, that was quick! I'm sure you've gotten plenty of advice, but just like the academy, play by their rules and you should be good. At my facility at least, they'll absolutely do their best to get you through the class. You have to have a really bad work ethic or just be absolutely terrible for them to wash you out in the back here.

That's essentially how it plays here, as well, with the caveat that I spent three and a half years in the training department here, and the instructors have been waiting for the same amount of time to make my life hell.

Should be fun.

Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008

Shavnir posted:

I did my first time under the hood today. Holy crap, my respect for everyone that's IFR rated just went up by like 300%.

You get used to it. You'll say the same thing again if you ever get into actual.

Gisnep
Mar 29, 2010

Stupid Post Maker posted:

You get used to it. You'll say the same thing again if you ever get into actual.
Yeah, actual is a lot more disorienting than the hood. Even with the hood on, there are subtle hints as to your attitude, so you can't help but to "cheat" a little without intending to. In actual, not only are those clues gone, but you have other things to disorient you, like the changing light/dark as you fly through the cloud, the sensation of speed, the bumpiness, and the little water droplets that stream on the windows.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
Wait until you fly your first ILS to minimums. It's really creepy and absolutely nothing like doing it under the hood. Doubly so at night when you can see the clouds outside start to glow orange from those orange streetlights but you still can't see the ground.

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

KodiakRS posted:

Wait until you fly your first ILS to minimums. It's really creepy and absolutely nothing like doing it under the hood. Doubly so at night when you can see the clouds outside start to glow orange from those orange streetlights but you still can't see the ground.

This is awesome. Though sometimes its the rabbit you can't see.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

AWSEFT posted:

This is awesome. Though sometimes its the rabbit you can't see.

I've had this a few times. You're flying the approach and the PM calls "approach lights in sight," only for you to look up and see nothing. The PM has been staring out of the window for a while but your eyes have been staring at the insturments so it takes them a few seconds to adjust. That split second feeling of "Where the hell is the runway" is a bit disconcerting.

It still beats the first non-precisions approach I ever did into San Diego. "Runway's in sight...wait, that's a parking garage."

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

KodiakRS posted:

I've had this a few times. You're flying the approach and the PM calls "approach lights in sight," only for you to look up and see nothing. The PM has been staring out of the window for a while but your eyes have been staring at the instruments so it takes them a few seconds to adjust. That split second feeling of "Where the hell is the runway" is a bit disconcerting.

It still beats the first non-precisions approach I ever did into San Diego. "Runway's in sight...wait, that's a parking garage."

Are you guys CAT II? There is nothing like going to 100 AGL at night with the landing lights off.

The other terrifying thing is a wind shear on short final. I was over the approach lights to 35 in MSP and needed to pitch way up and add a bunch of power to stay on the slope. Decided to go around. As I added power and called for the go around we got the wind shear caution. As we are going around traffic is taking off on 30L. We climb, turn crosswind (which becomes a downwind for 30R) and do a short approach. I was still hyped up on adrenaline as we turned into the gate. Crazy.

ProFootballGuy
Nov 6, 2012

by angerbot
I'm up to 10 hours in my PPL training, and we've been doing pattern work and landings for a couple lessons. I'm pretty comfortable with patterns, descents, flaps, slow flight, etc, but my landings are a little rough (still developing the feel for when to pull back and what ground effect is doing). Some people are ground-shy, I guess I'm ground-gregarious because I'm tending to thump it down hard.

My ATC calls are getting better, I still have a tendency to say things like "Runway Twenty-Seven" rather than "Runway Two-Seven" or using awkward phrasing but I've managed to talk with ATC without using my cheat sheet script the past few lessons, so that's a victory.

My CFI thinks I'll be ready to solo after a lesson or two of more landings, so I'm extremely excited about that. It'd be weird not having my CFI to alert me to my fuckups, but I feel confident enough that I could *probably* land the plane in one piece under ideal circumstances. Even if my landing would amuse the crew of old guys who hang out at the airport critiquing everyone's landing.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

AWSEFT posted:

Are you guys CAT II? There is nothing like going to 100 AGL at night with the landing lights off.

The other terrifying thing is a wind shear on short final. I was over the approach lights to 35 in MSP and needed to pitch way up and add a bunch of power to stay on the slope. Decided to go around. As I added power and called for the go around we got the wind shear caution. As we are going around traffic is taking off on 30L. We climb, turn crosswind (which becomes a downwind for 30R) and do a short approach. I was still hyped up on adrenaline as we turned into the gate. Crazy.

We're in the certification process right now. I'll probably go through the CAT II training during my next training event.

I've hit shear hard enough in the CRJ that even with the thrust levers in climb we were just barley holding glide slope and airspeed. It lasted for a good 10 seconds before it dissipated and we suddenly shot forward like we had been fired out of a cannon. We never got the caution and it was so smooth that we were trying to figure out if it had been wind shear or something else, a massive delay in thrust lever response or something. As we were pulling off the runway I was going to call ATC about it but about 2 seconds before I keyed the mic the airbus behind us called a go around due to 30 knot loss and we could hear the *windshear windshear* voice in the background. The whole encounter was eerily calm and NOTHING like the required wind shear training you do in the sim.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

ProFootballGuy posted:

I'm up to 10 hours in my PPL training, and we've been doing pattern work and landings for a couple lessons. I'm pretty comfortable with patterns, descents, flaps, slow flight, etc, but my landings are a little rough (still developing the feel for when to pull back and what ground effect is doing). Some people are ground-shy, I guess I'm ground-gregarious because I'm tending to thump it down hard.

I did the same thing. Ask your instructor if you can do one day of just patterns. I have a logbook entry for 13/13 0.8. Thirteen patterns with landings to full stop in 40 minutes. Basically, you don't know where the ground is yet and don't have a feel for what ground effect is like yet. Do them OVER AND OVER AND OVER and it'll click. I had my CFI do one after about 6. Really, really pay attention to that one. My instructor called all the numbers, all the settings, and all the things to look at. On my next landing, I tried the same thing, and found out where I was screwing up. Two landings later, it just clicked, then I had four perfect landings.

Next flight for me was the solo, and it went just like that. Out to the pattern, do a couple, then the instructor says "let's give these guys some room, taxi off over there. Ok. Those two patterns went great. I'm gonna sit here, you do two more."

Bam, out of the plane, and I'm on my own. Call the numbers, do it just like the other twenty times you've done it in the past two weeks, and don't even think about the fact that the only one you hear on the intercom is yourself.

brendanwor
Sep 7, 2005

Gisnep posted:

Yeah, actual is a lot more disorienting than the hood. Even with the hood on, there are subtle hints as to your attitude, so you can't help but to "cheat" a little without intending to. In actual, not only are those clues gone, but you have other things to disorient you, like the changing light/dark as you fly through the cloud, the sensation of speed, the bumpiness, and the little water droplets that stream on the windows.

Yeah I think the sensation of speed is one that a lot of people don't mention. Seeing bits of cloud zooming past you at high speed is pretty distracting while you're scanning.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
RedBird FBO in San Marcos, TX (HYI) will be selling avgas for $1/gal in October. Looks like I'll be making some cross countries.

http://www.aopa.org/News-and-Video/All-News/2013/August/28/dollar-avgas-at-redbird-skyport.aspx

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

The Ferret King posted:

RedBird FBO in San Marcos, TX (HYI) will be selling avgas for $1/gal in October. Looks like I'll be making some cross countries.

http://www.aopa.org/News-and-Video/All-News/2013/August/28/dollar-avgas-at-redbird-skyport.aspx

I know a guy with planes 8 miles from there. He is pleased.

cobra_64
Apr 3, 2007
I saw a classified ad for a Seneca for sale and in the avionics column it said it had an "Apollo Alti-Track Altitude Finder." I've never heard of an altitude finder anybody know what it is and what it does? We have altitude alerters on our King Airs that aggravate you with a loud BBEEEEEEEEPPPPP 1000 and 200 feet away from your selected altitude, but it doesn't find anything. Thoughts?

reni89
May 3, 2012

by angerbeet
31 year old Australian sick of his current 'job' (3d animation).
Never flown (aside from a few seconds when my dad was learning) but enjoy flying remote control, can stay up late no worries, love driving (never get bored), have a decent idea about what's involved in flying (in theory) from air disaster shows and my dad's training, not alcoholic.

Is commercial pilot a decent line of work to look at?

Freshwater Louie
Jun 22, 2004

fffffffff

reni89 posted:

Never flown (aside from a few seconds when my dad was learning) but enjoy flying remote control, can stay up late no worries, love driving (never get bored), have a decent idea about what's involved in flying (in theory) from air disaster shows and my dad's training, not alcoholic.

Short answer: no.

Long answer: gently caress no.

Get your private license and fly on the weekends when the weather is good.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

brendanwor posted:

Yeah I think the sensation of speed is one that a lot of people don't mention. Seeing bits of cloud zooming past you at high speed is pretty distracting while you're scanning.

Very true. Sometimes I think putting on a hood during actual IMC might improve your performance.

brendanwor
Sep 7, 2005

reni89 posted:

Unless you love flying and have wanted to be a pilot since you were a kid, I'd say no. There aren't many pilots who've done it simply as a career choice rather than a lifestyle choice. Too much hard work, too much monetary outlay and not enough return on investment, so you have to love it to be able to do it.

reni89
May 3, 2012

by angerbeet
How much outlay are we talking here?

I don't really know if I love it until I've done it, I certainly like the romanticized vision of it I have in my head.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

reni89 posted:

I don't really know if I love it until I've done it, I certainly like the romanticized vision of it I have in my head.

An initio training just to private pilot in the states is starting to poke at the belly of $10,000. You can stick your head in the airplane on a discovery flight for less than $100, most times. Groupon is good for those.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

MrYenko posted:

An initio training just to private pilot in the states is starting to poke at the belly of $10,000. You can stick your head in the airplane on a discovery flight for less than $100, most times. Groupon is good for those.

And while our Aussie pilots can speak up, when I looked at what it would take to rent when visiting relatives down under, it was usually 2-3x more expensive to rent an airplane in Australia than the US. So that $10k number may not hold unless you can take the time to fly to the US and get your certificate here and transfer it back.

brendanwor
Sep 7, 2005

reni89 posted:

I'm Aussie as well, and I would've spent around $100k for my PPL/CPL/instructor rating/instrument rating.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
That's not as terrible as I would have expected. I spent about $70k on my ratings. Although that doesn't count the $60k a year opportunity cost for being in aviation, since I could make a shitload more money elsewhere.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Anyone else get caught up in the royal clusterfuck that was ORD last night? I've never seen it get THAT screwed up. I think my favorite part of the night was ATC asking for volunteers to test out south routes and literally in the middle of their transmission there was a lightning strike about 3 miles south of the field.

KodiakRS fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Sep 3, 2013

brendanwor
Sep 7, 2005

The Slaughter posted:

That's not as terrible as I would have expected. I spent about $70k on my ratings. Although that doesn't count the $60k a year opportunity cost for being in aviation, since I could make a shitload more money elsewhere.

Yeah, is this ever true. Not a number I ever want to calculate.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

KodiakRS posted:

Anyone else get caught up in the royal clusterfuck that was ORD last night? I've never seen it get THAT screwed up. I think my favorite part of the night was ATC asking for volunteers to south and literally in the middle of their transmission there was a lightning strike about 3 miles south of the field.

Speaking of clusterfucks, I was a passenger today at ATL in the middle of a runway change. I was on a DC-9-50 3rd in line to go on 27R when a storm just NE of the airport spun the winds around. Waited probably 10 minutes before they let us taxi down 27R, clear, and become #3 for 9L, but we had to wait until the arrivals on 27L (of which there were a pile) wrapped up before they could start departures.

Counted at least 17 airplanes behind us in line. An Eagle 145 and DL 738 that we passed on the way to 27R got boned and wound up at the back of THAT line.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

That sucks when that happens, but if I were already breaking min-day pay... ka-$hing!

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

reni89 posted:

Try applying for cadet programs. Costs you near nothing ( relative speaking ) and you have a job waiting at the end. You have nothing to lose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

New version of the approach plate downloader: Link (Windows)

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Sep 1, 2013

• Locked thread