Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

These's aren't really old coins, but they're the closest thing I have to a coin collection besides one of those books I've had for many years now where you put one quarter in for every state - I remember thinking 2008 was a really long ways away. Anyways, I have one silver dollar from 1993 and a bunch of quarters from 2010 and 2011 that a relative bought for me that have backs which I would call unique; I've never seen them anywhere else before. They appear to be national parks. I'm probably not asking how much they're worth, but much more if they're special in any way or are just another form of beanie babies - I hope that's okay too.

I'm sorry for the poor lighting and quality, but I really have no idea how to take a proper picture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewcastleBrown
Mar 15, 2004
The One and Only

Kheldragar posted:

They appear to be national parks. I'm probably not asking how much they're worth, but much more if they're special in any way or are just another form of beanie babies - I hope that's okay too.

After doing each of the states they decided to keep the crazy quarter train rolling and started up on state parks. They aren't "special" but if you like the park or the picture then enjoy that poo poo.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

NewcastleBrown posted:

After doing each of the states they decided to keep the crazy quarter train rolling and started up on state parks. They aren't "special" but if you like the park or the picture then enjoy that poo poo.

At least there's new art to "enjoy", at least; it was a gift, so I'm not too dissapointed in it.

Jimmy James
Oct 1, 2004
The man so nice they named him twice.

Kheldragar posted:

At least there's new art to "enjoy", at least; it was a gift, so I'm not too dissapointed in it.

The America The Beautiful series does have lower mintages than the state quarters. There are approximately 1/5 the amount of any individual ATB quarter than there is for any individual State quarter in circulation. With that being said, it's not so few that the price will go up. There no chance you'll get rich off of them, but they are less common.

Ron Don Volante
Dec 29, 2012

Kheldragar posted:

These's aren't really old coins, but they're the closest thing I have to a coin collection besides one of those books I've had for many years now where you put one quarter in for every state - I remember thinking 2008 was a really long ways away. Anyways, I have one silver dollar from 1993 and a bunch of quarters from 2010 and 2011 that a relative bought for me that have backs which I would call unique; I've never seen them anywhere else before. They appear to be national parks. I'm probably not asking how much they're worth, but much more if they're special in any way or are just another form of beanie babies - I hope that's okay too.

I'm sorry for the poor lighting and quality, but I really have no idea how to take a proper picture.

The silver dollar is an American Eagle silver bullion coin containing one ounce of .999 fine silver. It's worth $25-30 at current silver prices, depending on the condition.

Jimmy James
Oct 1, 2004
I'm heading to a local coin show in Texas this weekend (about 50 dealers from within 500 miles or so). If anyone is looking for anything in particular, I can seek it out and send it to you at cost. Just trying to help out and not make money.

I'll be there looking for a Bay Bridge Half Dollar, an Oregon Half Dollar, and various German/French coins to fill holes in my collection, and a few 20th century type pieces. But they've got bullion, silver dollars, currency, lots of stuff.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Ron Don Volante posted:

Yep, the 1885 and 1886 are the two keydates of the Liberty Head nickel series, with mintages in the low millions. I remember a few years ago they used to be going for a few hundred dollars in G condition but the rare coin market's really taken a hit since the recession.

Unfortunately, green verdigris or chemical damage is a major hit to a coin's value. It's a bit hard to tell the extent of the green verdigris on that nickel from the picture, but at least the design details are still strong. I would guess that you could get upwards of $30 for it as is, but this might be one of the few cases where I would recommend looking into cleaning. Ordinarily I would advise against cleaning coins, as there's usually little upside and a lot of potential downside if you screw it up. But in this case, almost regardless of what cleaning method you use, you're not going to make the coin any worse. A very gentle cleaning method (olive oil, soap and water, acetone soak, etc) could possibly remove some of the gunk and wouldn't affect the design details (which are the selling point of that coin). If you reduce the verdigris, you could more than double the coin's value.

For any of those cleaning methods, all you do is soak it in the liquid for a period of time between several hours and a day (start out with a shorter period of a time) before gently rubbing the trouble areas with a q-tip. You might want to do a bit of research on your own before you commit to anything though.
Finally got around to getting a picture, how did I do?

Ron Don Volante
Dec 29, 2012

GWBBQ posted:

Finally got around to getting a picture, how did I do?

Nice, it looks way better. There is a little bit of corrosion from the verdigris but the coin's details are much clearer than before. Now you're looking at upwards of $60. How long did you end up soaking it for?

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Ron Don Volante posted:

Nice, it looks way better. There is a little bit of corrosion from the verdigris but the coin's details are much clearer than before. Now you're looking at upwards of $60. How long did you end up soaking it for?
About two weeks, that's when the verdigris started coming off just touching it with the cotton swab instead of having to use any pressure. There were a few stubborn spots around the details that I had to poke at.

Kansas Comrade
Aug 4, 2013
I have a sleeve of 1923 and 1922 dollar coins that my grandma gave me before she died. Any idea of their worth?

borodino
Jul 31, 2012
I've amassed about 30 silver coins at my job. If I just walk in to coin store and sell them what percentage of the melt value can I expect to receive? Is it fairly standard or do you have to shop around a ton?

Jimmy James
Oct 1, 2004

borodino posted:

I've amassed about 30 silver coins at my job. If I just walk in to coin store and sell them what percentage of the melt value can I expect to receive? Is it fairly standard or do you have to shop around a ton?

They will very rarely give you melt. I would expect at least 75% of the silver value, but I've heard about some places giving 90% spot. You can call around to the different places in town before you go and ask what they are offering for US junk silver. Most shops are constantly buying/selling and getting calls about it. They'll be able to give you an answer instantly. Not all places offer the same and it changes in daily/weekly basis. Places could have been paying close to spot 6 months ago and are paying considerably less now. Shop around because we know nothing about the dealers in your area, and you could have a few shady dealers for all we know. A pretty common thing is if silver is dropping they'll base their prices off of an outdated spot price and still refer to it as the market price.

If you go on craigslist, you can sometimes find someone who wants to buy for spot prices since most shops/dealers sell for above that.

Jimmy James fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Aug 4, 2013

borodino
Jul 31, 2012
Thanks. Another question, is counterfeiting silver dollars very prevalent? A couple of my Peace Dollars don't really look like they are silver, they look more like regular nickel circulating coins.

Jimmy James
Oct 1, 2004

borodino posted:

Thanks. Another question, is counterfeiting silver dollars very prevalent? A couple of my Peace Dollars don't really look like they are silver, they look more like regular nickel circulating coins.

I don't know how prevalent it is, but there are a lot of chinese fakes out there. Fakes are constantly being sold on eBay. If you google the subject you will find some pretty good information. A person pretty experienced with coins can tell if something is silver/nickel pretty quickly with look and feel, but it's really hard to describe in words. Yours could simply look off because they've been cleaned in some way at some point. Usually a good scale, like a mail or pharmacy scale will rule out most fakes. Most fakes will be lighter than official weights. You can expect a coin to lose a couple % weight from normal wear, but anything below that is a major red flag. You can also measure the diameter and make sure that's right. Beyond that, you need to look for imperfections and other signs of the counterfeiting process.

I'm by no means schooled in the art of counterfeit detection, but the vast majority of fakes can be identified by those few key measurements and familiarity with the details of the coin and coins in general. If you want to post pics, I can give my 2 cents and maybe some other folks could chime in.

Ron Don Volante
Dec 29, 2012

Kansas Comrade posted:

I have a sleeve of 1923 and 1922 dollar coins that my grandma gave me before she died. Any idea of their worth?

Depends on their condition. If they're circulated, they're worth about $25 ea. If they look uncirculated and still have their original luster, then more like $30-35.

borodino posted:

I would doubt that they're fake, as Peace dollars are very rarely counterfeited. There's only one real key-date in the set (the 1928-P) and the rest are all relatively cheap, so there's little incentive for counterfeiters. Morgans are also rarely counterfeited. It's only when you get into the Trade dollars that counterfeits become common, and most are cheap base metal replicas from China that are sold on eBay.

It's likely that your silver dollars are just tarnished.

Romulux
Mar 17, 2004

E V O L V E D
Alright Ron Don, I've got a lot for you to check out if you don't mind. I'm trying to get about $2,000 out of these while trying to keep some stuff of value. These were all handed down through my family, and I honestly know nothing about them. My mom tried looking them up at some point, but there was a lot she couldn't find any info on, and I'd start looking them up myself but I saw your thread in SA Mart and figured I'd ask you first. Sorry about the crappy pictures, I can take more if you need any close-ups for anything of value. I appreciate any insight you can give me. I have a couple more penny sets but they're incomplete. The plastic container is all wheat pennies.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B7Cu7Uk9QBlDVFVZQmlLWGl1X3M&usp=sharing

Ron Don Volante
Dec 29, 2012

Romulux posted:

Alright Ron Don, I've got a lot for you to check out if you don't mind. I'm trying to get about $2,000 out of these while trying to keep some stuff of value. These were all handed down through my family, and I honestly know nothing about them. My mom tried looking them up at some point, but there was a lot she couldn't find any info on, and I'd start looking them up myself but I saw your thread in SA Mart and figured I'd ask you first. Sorry about the crappy pictures, I can take more if you need any close-ups for anything of value. I appreciate any insight you can give me. I have a couple more penny sets but they're incomplete. The plastic container is all wheat pennies.

I don't like to be the bearer of bad news but a cursory lookthrough tells me that $2000 is a big overestimate. There are a few nice coins in there but the vast majority of the foreign coins and coins struck by private "collectors'" mints aren't worth much at all. The sad truth is that most 20th century foreign coins are close to worthless unless they're silver. I don't have a lot of time right now but I'll try to really go through it tomorrow and give it a proper appraisal.

Romulux
Mar 17, 2004

E V O L V E D

Ron Don Volante posted:

I don't like to be the bearer of bad news but a cursory lookthrough tells me that $2000 is a big overestimate. There are a few nice coins in there but the vast majority of the foreign coins and coins struck by private "collectors'" mints aren't worth much at all. The sad truth is that most 20th century foreign coins are close to worthless unless they're silver. I don't have a lot of time right now but I'll try to really go through it tomorrow and give it a proper appraisal.

I appreciate any insight you can give, like many people with a (possibly) near worthless collection who doesn't know anything about the coins they have, I just had a number in my head. I blame pawn show shows.

Jimmy James
Oct 1, 2004

Romulux posted:

As someone who buys almost exclusively foreign coins, I can say you can find the vast majority of your foreign coins in mixed bulk lots by the pound. A typical value for foreign coins by the pound is 6-20 dollars per pound depending on the contents. With that being said, there are a handful of nice coins that you could try to sell individually. I saw a mexican silver coin, a silver maria theresa thaler restrike. A dealer will usually pay at least silver value for these coins. Your chances of being able to sell a lot of non-silver foreign coins to a dealer for anything more than a pittance are low. I can do an appraisal of the world stuff if Ron Don doesn't, but I would think a value closer to 200 dollars on the high end for all of the coins you posted would be more realistic.

Prof. Ann Mary Ann
Mar 13, 2008

♫  He’s a hypnotist,
   hypnotist of ladies  ♫
I have a few dozen US coins with some silver content. Is it worth the trouble to sell them on eBay, or is a local coin shop ok? Same question regarding a 1993 American Eagle dollar (it's not a proof). And is there a reason I should hold onto anything instead of selling?

JDM3
Jun 26, 2013

Best $10 bux I ever spent on a total stranger.. who happens to be a fucking douchetube.

Prof. Ann Mary Ann posted:

I have a few dozen US coins with some silver content. Is it worth the trouble to sell them on eBay, or is a local coin shop ok? Same question regarding a 1993 American Eagle dollar (it's not a proof). And is there a reason I should hold onto anything instead of selling?

It's up to you. If I were selling, I'd sell them as a lot, to avoid having to pay postage on every quarter you mail out, plus it's just one thing to deal with. But you will get VERY close to spot price, even more if they are in really good condition.

As far as keeping or selling, it's up to you, but I should warn you that coins are an absolutely TERRIBLE investment. On the other hand, I think they are cool and so I am a collector and am doing it for sentimental reasons more than anything else. My collection is probably worth $5,000, and in 20 years it will almost surely underperform compared to putting $5000 in the stock market. My dad passed on some coins that I can sell/trade to complete these collections, as well as putting some of my own money now and then into it. I'm also keeping some of them to pass along so the next collector in the family can do the same thing...

I am working on a complete Morgan and Peace Dollar set, then moving to some other reasonably "do-able" complete collections that he started, like Washington quarters, dimes, etc. There are very few of these coins that aren't available in good condition (good means crappy...) for under $100. I got the collection from my dad, will pass it on to the kid who is least likely to sell it. Kind of a legacy thing.

tl/dr - it's up to you.

Ron Don Volante
Dec 29, 2012

Jimmy James posted:

I can do an appraisal of the world stuff if Ron Don doesn't, but I would think a value closer to 200 dollars on the high end for all of the coins you posted would be more realistic.

It's all yours if you want to do it, I'll look at the U.S. stuff for now.

1876-CC dime: Carson City mintmarks tend to go for a premium because of their low mintages. ~$20
1787 New Jersey: I'd be interested in seeing a couple close-ups of this one. It's a colonial coin that goes for $100+ if the design's clear enough.
1967 Kennedy half (40% silver): $5
1952 Washington-Carver commemorative coin: $20
1901 Indian Head penny: $3
1820 Large cent: <$10
1964-D Silver quarter: $5
1863 Civil war token: very wide range of prices depending on the specific token, $10-100
Anglesey mine token: $10+
1941-D Mercury dime: $2
1887-O Morgan dollar: $30
1942 Mercury: $2
1953-D Franklin half: $15
Bicentennial coins: face value
1964-D Kennedy half: $13
1921 Morgan dollar: $30
1837 dime: $5
1821 Large cent: difficult to tell condition from pictures, $20-50+
Liberty head nickel: Missing picture of coin's obverse side so I don't know date, nice condition though
1804 half cent: difficult to tell condition from pictures, $20-50+
1979 Proof set: $5-10
1977 Mint set: $5
Steel cent: <$1
1854 Fractional gold token?: $10
If all the Wheat penny sets are from the 30's or 40's onwards, they're not worth much, maybe $10-15 ea. The teens and 20's are where most of the valuable Wheat pennies are.

So actually it turned out a bit better than I was expecting at first glance. If you want to get close-up pictures of the 1821 cent, the 1804 half cent, the 1787 New Jersey, and the Civil War token, I can give you a closer estimate of their value but I'd say you're looking at a least several hundred dollars easy on the American coins.

Ron Don Volante
Dec 29, 2012

Sorry for the double post.

Prof. Ann Mary Ann posted:

If you know what you're doing, I'd sell on eBay. They'll take a 10% cut, which is better than you would get selling to a coin store. Silver prices are actually relatively low right now, so I might hang on to bullion/junk silver for at least a few more months to see where the market heads.

JDM3 posted:

As far as keeping or selling, it's up to you, but I should warn you that coins are an absolutely TERRIBLE investment. On the other hand, I think they are cool and so I am a collector and am doing it for sentimental reasons more than anything else. My collection is probably worth $5,000, and in 20 years it will almost surely underperform compared to putting $5000 in the stock market. My dad passed on some coins that I can sell/trade to complete these collections, as well as putting some of my own money now and then into it. I'm also keeping some of them to pass along so the next collector in the family can do the same thing...

I am working on a complete Morgan and Peace Dollar set, then moving to some other reasonably "do-able" complete collections that he started, like Washington quarters, dimes, etc. There are very few of these coins that aren't available in good condition (good means crappy...) for under $100. I got the collection from my dad, will pass it on to the kid who is least likely to sell it. Kind of a legacy thing.

tl/dr - it's up to you.

Are you going to include the 1893-S Morgan?

Also, while it's true coins are a bad investment compared to the stock market, they're still a much better holder of value (if not an investment) than pretty much any other thing people collect. If you buy any random assortment of old U.S. coins at market price and wait a few years to sell them, odds are you'll at least get back your original investment. Comic books, Beanie babies, even stamps? Not so much.

JDM3
Jun 26, 2013

Best $10 bux I ever spent on a total stranger.. who happens to be a fucking douchetube.

Ron Don Volante posted:

Are you going to include the 1893-S Morgan?

I can get an absolutely TERRIBLE one for around $1000. That's borderline "do-able" and the only one that will hold up this multi-year project...

Check this one

I'm actually tempted to save up and do this one early - I have a little more than 40 to go - including 7-8 of the CC varieties. I actually have two of the GSA CC packs from 1882, so will use that extra one to trade/sell for something good. Timing is the issue, but then again it isn't. Since I'm going to stick it back into Morgans, it doesn't really matter because I'm not smart enough to try and time it right... Will likely go to a coin show and see if I can trade and avoid the transaction costs.

quote:

Also, while it's true coins are a bad investment compared to the stock market, they're still a much better holder of value (if not an investment) than pretty much any other thing people collect. If you buy any random assortment of old U.S. coins at market price and wait a few years to sell them, odds are you'll at least get back your original investment. Comic books, Beanie babies, even stamps? Not so much.

Yes, this is entirely correct. It's only a terrible investment when you compare it to a reasonably sure thing like long-term stock market, etc. Like I mentioned the coin show above, there are literally MILLIONS of coin collectors and that makes the market for coins very liquid. A collection will hold its value, and strangely enough, should stocks totally tank, it will likely still be in reasonably good shape.

Also, should an apocalypse occur you will have lots of silver so you probably won't starve...

SeaWolf
Mar 7, 2008
Those wheat pennies posted in that big set above are really worth 10-15 each if they're 30's up?? I don't have nearly as many as that, maybe about three dozen, '36-'58, no steel in similar looking condition, but mostly Philly mint, The detail in the wheat is all very visible so I know that's good. You think those are worth more than the buck or so I was guessing?

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009

SeaWolf posted:

Those wheat pennies posted in that big set above are really worth 10-15 each if they're 30's up?? I don't have nearly as many as that, maybe about three dozen, '36-'58, no steel in similar looking condition, but mostly Philly mint, The detail in the wheat is all very visible so I know that's good. You think those are worth more than the buck or so I was guessing?

Do you have three dozen sets of wheaties or three dozen wheaties? I'm pretty sure that Ron Don Volante was saying that each of the wheaties sets are worth $10-$15, not each of the pennies.

Also, let's just admit it. We collect coins for the warm fuzzy feelings, nothing more.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Ron Don Volante posted:

You're really good at this. Spot on with the estimate, it just sold on eBay for $60.25 plus $2.99 for shipping.

Ron Don Volante
Dec 29, 2012

GWBBQ posted:

You're really good at this. Spot on with the estimate, it just sold on eBay for $60.25 plus $2.99 for shipping.

What can I say, I have a gift! Glad to hear you got a good price for it.

Elwood P Dowd
Jan 4, 2003

Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it.
Does paper money ever gain in value? I have had for a few years now, obtained as change quite by happenstance, a 1963 $5 bill. It has been folded and someone wrote a 92 in a circle in blue ink near the right edge, about a inch wide. It has an F2 which I am guessing is where it is produced, and the serial number starts with a star. Also the serial number and the seal are in red instead of green.

I cannot imagine it is worth more than $5, but I've held onto it since it is just kind of neat.

Ron Don Volante
Dec 29, 2012

Bob Loblaw posted:

Does paper money ever gain in value? I have had for a few years now, obtained as change quite by happenstance, a 1963 $5 bill. It has been folded and someone wrote a 92 in a circle in blue ink near the right edge, about a inch wide. It has an F2 which I am guessing is where it is produced, and the serial number starts with a star. Also the serial number and the seal are in red instead of green.

I cannot imagine it is worth more than $5, but I've held onto it since it is just kind of neat.

Paper money does indeed gain in value, though the notes produced within the last 70 years or so tend to be worth little more than face value. Though not as popular as coins, currency is widely collected and older notes can command substantial premiums.

The red seal means that it was produced directly by the federal government, as opposed to the federal reserve. Notice that it says "United States Note" as opposed to our current green seal "Federal Reserve Notes." There also used to be brown seals (Federal Reserve Banknotes, as well as WWII emergency issue silver certificates for the Pacific Theater), yellow seals (WWII emergency certs for North Africa), blue seals (silver certificates), and orange seals (gold certificates).

The star is also significant. That symbol means that it's a replacement banknote (popularly called "star notes"), used to replace a defective note during quality control. No two serial numbers can be the same, so the star is added to the serial number. Star notes are relatively uncommon, but still widely available on the market. Your $5 bill is so young that it wouldn't really be worth anything over face value normally, but the star makes it worth at least a few dollars over face.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Are the old german hyperinflation bank notes worth anything or are they just a novelty thing?

I have a couple of 10000 Mark notes from the 1922-1923 which are pretty neat.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

In mint condition you might get $8-9 a piece for them.

Turbl
Nov 8, 2007

It's hard to see in the picture but the date is mostly visible on the buffalo coin. The first two numbers are a bit worn but 35 is clearly visible, so I assume the date is 1935.

I'm not sure what that first coin is so any information on it would be appreciated. The second one is the same as the one in the previous image but silver-colored.

The mintmark is an "O" on the Morgan head.

These next ones are foreign and I don't really know anything about them, so any info would be great.

This is a large note with a stamp on the back that reads: "Present this note at time of purchase. It is good for $2 on your account and will be returned to you as a Souvenir. - The Majestic." Any idea what this was for?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Bob Loblaw posted:

Does paper money ever gain in value? I have had for a few years now, obtained as change quite by happenstance, a 1963 $5 bill. [...] I cannot imagine it is worth more than $5, but I've held onto it since it is just kind of neat.

Darn right old paper bills are neat. I worked in a rural gas station growing up, and one day some old guy paid for his stuff with a $1 "silver certificate". Old guys were the best source of weird money, since this was when there were still a fair number of people who remembered the Depression (and who stored their money in cash, under their mattresses). I saw a lot of old bills that were probably as crisp as when they rolled off the press.

The $1 certificate is a cool bill because the face-side design is a bit different, like the little borders and furls around the sides and edges. I also think it's cool to have a bill that says :cool:payable in silver:cool:, even if you can't actually get paid silver for it any more.

Ron Don Volante
Dec 29, 2012

Turbl posted:

It's hard to see in the picture but the date is mostly visible on the buffalo coin. The first two numbers are a bit worn but 35 is clearly visible, so I assume the date is 1935.

I'm not sure what that first coin is so any information on it would be appreciated. The second one is the same as the one in the previous image but silver-colored.

The mintmark is an "O" on the Morgan head.

These next ones are foreign and I don't really know anything about them, so any info would be great.

This is a large note with a stamp on the back that reads: "Present this note at time of purchase. It is good for $2 on your account and will be returned to you as a Souvenir. - The Majestic." Any idea what this was for?

I'll just list them off with values and any other relevant info:

1935-S (San Francisco mint) Buffalo nickel: $1
1979 SBA dollar: might be a proof but hard to tell from photo--does it have a polished/mirrored appearance? and what's the mintmark (above right shoulder)

1944-S Philippines 50 centavos: From when The Philippines was still a U.S. commonwealth, $5
1979 SBA: mintmark? probably just worth face value

1884-O Morgan, mint state: $40-50

1925 Peace dollar, fire damage or tarnish spot: <$25
1988 American Eagle silver bullion coin, uncirculated: $30 @ current silver prices

1919 Great Britain George V penny: $1. if there's a mintmark next to the left of the date, potentially more
1911: $1

1943 GBr George VI threepence: $1
1931 George V sixpence, .500 fine silver: $2

1948 Denmark 1 Krone: <$1

1964 Ireland 1 pingin (penny): <$1
1978 Mexican peso: <$1

Most non-silver foreign coins from the last century are relatively worthless. And most foreign coins struck after the 30's or 40's are made of a base metal alloy, like copper-nickel, instead of silver. You've got a nice Morgan though!

That's a German 1923 100,000 mark banknote (from Germany's period of post-war hyperinflation) that looks like it was repurposed by a souvenir shop. The banknotes tend to go for a few bucks each, though they're relatively common.

Ron Don Volante fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Aug 28, 2013

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
I've recently started going through a box of coins my mother had collected. She basically took anything that seemed old or unusual and put it in a box for many years. Before her death, she volunteered with the elderly and she told me that some of them had given her their old coins. I've been a casual collector for years, much like her, keeping anything old. I'm finding things in her collection that are surprising me because I think they are more valuable than she thought.

Here are a couple that jumped out:

1794 Cent. At first I thought that this was a copy, but it really seems real. It's hard to photograph it in a way that really shows the color, but it's your standard penny brown with a little luster on the edges. I never even handled an 18th century US coin before.

Also, a Five Dollar gold coin. The first gold I've actually owned.

Any ideas as to the values? Should I get the cent professionally graded?

JDM3
Jun 26, 2013

That cent is easily worth several hundred dollars, if not a thousand (or more!) It's in excellent shape and whatever you do, DON'T CLEAN IT!!!!
Without question that is worth getting graded.

The five dollar coin is 1/2 oz, so figure the cost of gold ($1400~) plus a little collectible value (with most gold coins, the collectible value is not a great deal except at the MS65+ (in that area) and up. So probably <$800, give or take.

Edit: oops - 1/4 oz, so given the condition, between $4-500.

Edit#2:

This is a screen shot of the PCGS price guide for that penny. Pretty sure it's not the one worth $25k, didn't see any stars. All the other ones say "head of this, head of that" and I have no clue. I would have guessed that coin at 10-15 condition, so that's why I'm showing this slice. The ones with no numbers are for uncirculated ones, so obviously none at lower grades. Get it professionally graded by PCGS or NGC.

JDM3 fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Sep 1, 2013

Ron Don Volante
Dec 29, 2012

That's a 1794 large cent, Head of 1793 variety, in what I would probably call choice-VF condition (30+ on a 70 point grading scale). The color looks nice and I don't see any problems, which is rare for early large cents. The market's pretty thin so estimating a value is difficult but you're probably looking at the $500-1000 range. At that price, getting it professionally graded starts to make sense (grading is relatively expensive) and will boost the price. PCGS, NGC, or IGC are the ones you should consider.

The 1886 half eagle is in mint state, JDM3's got the value right.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
Thanks for all the info. I'm slowly going through the coins and photographing the ones that seem interesting to me. This is the only other 18th century coin I've found so far. It seems pretty worn but I think half cents are less common than cents, maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ron Don Volante
Dec 29, 2012

What's the edge of the coin like? Is it smooth, are there ridges or indentations, or are there letters on it? There are 3 major edge varieties for that particular half-cent, and their values differ tremendously.

• Locked thread