Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

TL posted:

I like Heyman, but I also think his booking is slightly overrated. ECW's quality booking wise was all over the place, and I think a lot of it is just envelope pushing because they could. Heyman's SmackDown run is a bit overrated too, because most of the quality stuff people remember is the "Smackdown Six" stuff. It was the same six guys going out and having amazing matches every week. Not that it wasn't awesome, but the storytelling was no great shakes. It's the wrestling equivalent of Mr. Burns telling Daryl Strawberry to "go hit a home run".

Paul's greatest achievement in ECW was booking for (and around) his smarky dickhead audience, which is a sincere compliment to him since no other indy company in the modern era is much good at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

CombineThresher posted:

Paul's greatest achievement in ECW was booking for (and around) his smarky dickhead audience, which is a sincere compliment to him since no other indy company in the modern era is much good at it.

Yeah, dude got the biggest dickhead smark crowd on earth to cheer faces and boo heels. Therefore, he's a booking legend.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
He successfully turned Mick Foley heel to an exclusively smark ECW crowd. Just think about that for a second.

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

I just started flair's autobiography, To be the man, anything i should know ahead of time to take with a grain of salt? I've Read Mic foley's first book, Bret hart's and Jericho's, so i know a few things about him but not that much tbh.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

He was surprisingly very honest about how hosed up he is mentally.

The Cosby Mysteries
Oct 5, 2007

Happy Birthday, Mr. President
I don't think this will be answered but what the hell. I watching the video with Stone Cold and The Rock singing Jimmy Buffett but I could have sworn The Rock (with Stone Cold I believe) performed 'Under The Boardwalk'? I'm sure it was The Rock. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

by Ralp

tzirean posted:

During Benoit vs. Eddie for the first WWE US title reign, Rhyno ran in and turned on Benoit, giving us some wonderful Eddie reactions: the "OHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYwait, I'm okay," followed by maybe his greatest "...OK, then" shrug ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDXa4yxJZ80&t=1457s

And note that Benoit's pants are blue!!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

DeathChicken posted:

He was surprisingly very honest about how hosed up he is mentally.

The best was when he wanted to sue that article for slander when the article used his own book as a source.

The Man From Melmac
Sep 8, 2008
According to the documentary, CM Punk resigned with the WWE during or sometime shortly after Money in the Bank because he wanted to change the place for the better. It went on to mention that he started taking a much more active role in the locker room, helping other wrestlers with their characters and wrestling.

Looking at the product we now currently have, how much of it do you think was due to Punk's influence?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Benjamin Black posted:

According to the documentary, CM Punk resigned with the WWE during or sometime shortly after Money in the Bank because he wanted to change the place for the better. It went on to mention that he started taking a much more active role in the locker room, helping other wrestlers with their characters and wrestling.

Looking at the product we now currently have, how much of it do you think was due to Punk's influence?

The CM Punk documentary has a lot of kayfabing of that period of time. I would guess that his influence extends to programs he works and the wrestlers he's friends with. WWE hasn't changed because of CM Punk, and if he re-signed to change things he sure went about it in a funny and delayed way.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i bet you tho he had it put in his contract that he'd get howard finkel to announce him at madison square garden

The Man From Melmac
Sep 8, 2008

MassRafTer posted:

if he re-signed to change things he sure went about it in a funny and delayed way.

Two years isn't really that long.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Benjamin Black posted:

Two years isn't really that long.

It is when the only changes you could realistically attribute to him are booking philosophy, and we don't even know if these are for real. Vince could decide little people stink in three weeks and end it. The changes in talent development started before Punk resigned. The booking changes started well after. If Punk's new contract had the power to change the WWE, why didn't it even have the power to save him from Kevin Nash and HHH?

The Man From Melmac
Sep 8, 2008

MassRafTer posted:

It is when the only changes you could realistically attribute to him are booking philosophy, and we don't even know if these are for real. Vince could decide little people stink in three weeks and end it. The changes in talent development started before Punk resigned. The booking changes started well after. If Punk's new contract had the power to change the WWE, why didn't it even have the power to save him from Kevin Nash and HHH?

I'm not sure why his contract would have anything to do with it. I just think he set a good example and raised the bar.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
I think the most concrete effect Punk might have had is convincing Vince, Stephanie, and HHH that unconventional looking guys can be permanent main eventers. Other than that, without knowing exactly what goes on backstage it's going to be pretty difficult to say

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Benjamin Black posted:

I'm not sure why his contract would have anything to do with it. I just think he set a good example and raised the bar.

If he can't keep his own programs from being hijacked, what kind of real influence is he going to have in WWE? The changes you see in WWE have to do with booking and talent development, not CM Punk helping guys out. You can't look at the roster and go "That guy wasn't so good two years ago, but he became closer to Punk and he's turned it around." The guys who are good now were pretty much always good, or are interesting prospects like Big E and AJ.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

I think the most concrete effect Punk might have had is convincing Vince, Stephanie, and HHH that unconventional looking guys can be permanent main eventers. Other than that, without knowing exactly what goes on backstage it's going to be pretty difficult to say

Yeah this. I think it's less direct political sway and more an indirect impact vis a vis the way the people in power look at talent.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Punk's said on at least a couple of occasions that WWE is crazy for not pushing Cesaro right to the moon. Given Cesaro's current place on the card, I would tend to agree that yeah, Punk doesn't have as much influence on things as we'd like to think.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

You'd think Kofi would get some sort of push if Punk had real influence.

What is the deal with Kofi anyways? Haven't seen him much on tv lately.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Was injured has wrestled a few times in tights rather than trunks and is kinda loss in the shuffle at the moment.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Die Laughing posted:

For that matter, if Punk had any real sway, we'd probably be seeing segments about the triumphant return of Colt "Scotty Goldman" Cabana, here.

Punk might get asked for his opinion occasionally, and he probably puts in a good word or two for people he likes or thinks that WWE should sign. But to say he's had any sort of direct influence in changing WWE's creative outlook and direction is a bit of a reach, in my opinion.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I also feel like if Punk was re-signing mostly to help shape the future of wrestling he'd be spending more of his time off in Florida helping train rather than flying to UFC events. Should he be? Of course not, dude should take his time off and use it to have fun.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I know it sounds pedantic, but please write it as re-signed - before context kicked in I had a momentary panic-attack thinking Punk had unexpectedly quit :ohdear:

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Die Laughing posted:

What is the deal with Kofi anyways? Haven't seen him much on tv lately.

He's on Main Event pretty much every week and they don't have an angle for him on the main show yet.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps

oatgan posted:

He's on Main Event pretty much every week and they don't have an angle for him on the main show yet.

Good. He's bland, dull and his jumpy offence offends me.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

britishbornandbread posted:

Bard Maddox parachute account spotted

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

oatgan posted:

Preposterous, I don't spell like an Englishman.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Are there stories/interviews with wrestlers talking about pops? I'd be interested in hearing how the wrestlers react to particularly big/unexpected pops.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

britishbornandbread posted:

Wanna do naughty things to this post :quagmire:

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

oatgan posted:

drat, BBAB had that poo poo planned WAY in advance. Worm your way into old school SA's hearts just to criticize a wrestler who hadn't even started wrestling yet at the time. :v:

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
What is that Bouncing Souls song at the beginning of CM Punk's DVD?

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Did Goldust ever hit the Shattered Dreams?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Yes, on Val Venis and Blue Meanie, off the top of my head.

Gar
May 13, 2005
I got the Playstation but I still play the Sega
So in kayfabe, how can WWE make Heyman wrestle? He probably has a manager's contract versus a performer's contract. I know this is a dumb question, but it's bugged me for years anytime a manager is put in a match. It seems like putting untrained fighters into a fight is employee negligence. Again, all in kayfabe.

maxallen
Nov 22, 2006

Gar posted:

So in kayfabe, how can WWE make Heyman wrestle? He probably has a manager's contract versus a performer's contract. I know this is a dumb question, but it's bugged me for years anytime a manager is put in a match. It seems like putting untrained fighters into a fight is employee negligence. Again, all in kayfabe.

As I understand it, Heyman is not employed by the WWE (in kayfabe), but is independent, so they just tell him show up or you're not welcome at our events anymore, which kills his livelihood.

your friend sk
Dec 10, 2005

(ヤイケス!)

maxallen posted:

As I understand it, Heyman is not employed by the WWE (in kayfabe), but is independent, so they just tell him show up or you're not welcome at our events anymore, which kills his livelihood.

Wasn't Vince trying to fire him when Lesnar returned though?

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

sk posted:

Wasn't Vince trying to fire him when Lesnar returned though?

Brock Lesnar beat up Vince before he had a chance to say "You're fired" so it doesn't count.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

What are some good examples of crowd reaction or interaction ruining, or at least dramatically changing the tone of a segment? The example that springs to my mind is at some PPV I want to say Survivor Series, JBL and Michaels had the official kickoff promo in the ring where JBL bought HBK. It was very serious, Shawn was crying, JBL looked like Satan buying someone's soul, then a cardboard standee of 1995 HBK rises up from the third row between them and begins to dance from side to side. Everyone in my group at home and a large portion of the live crowd start laughing mid-segment.

your friend sk
Dec 10, 2005

(ヤイケス!)

oatgan posted:

Brock Lesnar beat up Vince before he had a chance to say "You're fired" so it doesn't count.

Right, but he must still work for WWE proper then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

projecthalaxy posted:

What are some good examples of crowd reaction or interaction ruining, or at least dramatically changing the tone of a segment? The example that springs to my mind is at some PPV I want to say Survivor Series, JBL and Michaels had the official kickoff promo in the ring where JBL bought HBK. It was very serious, Shawn was crying, JBL looked like Satan buying someone's soul, then a cardboard standee of 1995 HBK rises up from the third row between them and begins to dance from side to side. Everyone in my group at home and a large portion of the live crowd start laughing mid-segment.

The first one that comes to my mind is the set up for the Sheamus/Del Rio feud on the night after Wrestlemania 28, which is completely derailed by the rampant YESing of the crowd.