Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

A game has 5 minutes to capture my attention before it gets nulled. I'll give some leeway for RPGs and power through tutorials but there's just not enough time in the world to not have fun with your hobby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

I do it too, I think it is the most sane way to deal with backlogs when you aren't a single, unemployed student anymore, or at least in my case.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

I had plans to focus on the "single player, story-driven games with a finite ending" subset of my backlog, and even started looking at howlongtobeat.com and thinking about playing games in order of shortest time to complete.

Then I decided to try out the Mechromancer DLC for Borderlands 2 and have spent my last 20 hours of gaming playing nothing but that.

Well, at least I'm having fun and I guess I'll run out of quests someday. Or maybe not, if they keep releasing DLC.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
I have actually stopped using Backloggery, as I felt I needed to cross of as many games as possible and register poo poo all the time.

Now I just play what I feel like, and sometimes the games gets uninstalled within 10-15 minutes, other times I let them stay for a few days while playing some other stuff.
With all these bundles I just got overwhelmed by mediocre indie platformers and metroidvania clones. Thankfully something stupidly fun like Saints Row 4 comes along to bring back balance and let me have fun.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Nulled: The Whispered World. The voice acting for the main character is so bad I could not get past the first room you start in.

Finished: The 39 Steps. Actually a nice visual novel adaptation of the classic book. Nice artwork, voice acting/narration, sound effects, etc., and the "movies" are terrific. I enjoyed this a lot more than I thought I would. This is well worth the cash you'd pay to get it as part of the current Groupees bundle, even if you never played any of the other games.

Finished: Angelica Weaver: Catch Me When You Can, including the DLC. It's one of those point/hunt/click adventure games, with pretty easy puzzles and a woman who is always looking at you :stare: Also her voice acting is pretty irritating but that may because of a thick (Chicago?) accent. Eh, it's nothing special though the art is pretty good and there are some nice references for those who are familiar with Jack the Ripper.

VVVV - HowLongToBeat says The Whispered World is only 11 hours along. Enjoy!

monster on a stick fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Aug 27, 2013

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

monster on a stick posted:

Nulled: The Whispered World. The voice acting for the main character is so bad I could not get past the first room you start in.

Good loving LORD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hhzWJZP6BQ&t=177s

al-azad
May 28, 2009

His voice grew on me and I'm glad I stuck through the game because it gets really dark and imaginative very quickly. It is unfortunate that it's the only Daedalic game without a German speechpak and absolutely no one knows why. Apparently it's some kind of rights dispute with their publisher and only that game was affected.

TypeAskee
Jul 21, 2012
Hey, I want to join in the fun too... as you can see by my Backloggery, I have some serious issues... and this is just Steam/GoG... not including Gamersgate and random games that I've gotten straight from developers. I haven't beaten anything in a while... but I don't have a job right now, so I may as well make it count for something with all the extra time (outside of looking for a job that is).

And there's my Backloggery for what it's worth. XIII is really the game that I'm actually trying to beat right now, closely followed up by Borderlands.

Here's hoping I can go down some more games before/without going up a few games.

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward
Sleeping Dogs (Steam) - Completed: All events, all collectibles, all cars, all DLC, all everything. I don't think I ever had this much fun being a reckless rear end in a top hat in an action sandbox game. Inbetween ramping off oncoming traffic on my motorbike, ramming annoying drivers into oblivion and putting random people into the trunks of their own cars to subsequently drown them in the ocean, there's so many opportunities to have fun and dick around I'm amazed I ever got anything done. That said the world felt a little small and shallow to me and many features seem underdeveloped, but the game had problems getting released so I'm thankful that it exists in the first place. The DLC, not so much. I got the full collection on a discount and there's a few nice things here and there but most of it isn't too spectacular. Except for Year of the Snake, which lets you taze innocent strangers. :science:

Payday: The Heist (Steam) - Beat: Leveled one branch up to the reputation cap and finished every map a few times. It's a ton of fun and I might have gotten a little more mileage out of it but right now I feel like I've seen most of what's in this game and I can't tolerate the retarded pubbies anymore. If Payday 2 gets a sale on Black Friday or Christmas I'll be sure to give it a look.

Currently playing:
Europa Universalis III (Steam)

Entenzahn fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Aug 31, 2013

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Beat Gunpoint. What a goddamn nifty game and a great first release. Here's hoping to see more of that caliber from that guy.

Beat Amnesia: The Dark Descent just in time for A Machine For Pigs. Great atmosphere, great sound design, creepy story and an all around fantastic game. Frictional :allears:

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Ragequit: Deadlight. The worst sin of this game is a combination of awful controls, checkpoints, and long action sequences. For instance, having to jump on a roof to evade zombies requires you to literally be under the roof's edge within a few pixels while standing still. There's no tolerance for error, and since the zombies are on you within a few seconds, dying means you get to go back a few minutes to the beginning of the chapter. There's no reason for the lousy checkpoint, since there are a few parts in between where you are out of danger.

Also there is a long sequence where you have to run from a helicopter, and trying to climb a fence can result in you jumping backwards due to poo poo controls, which is instadeath since there's no tolerance for error. I would normally say "welp I suck at videogames" except many of the posts on the Steam forum are complaining about this exact sequence.

Throw in cutscenes where the audio cuts off, having the game stutter while playing, and a meh zombie story, and... gently caress this game.

Beaten: Dust: An Elysian Tail. I genuinely enjoyed this game. It's a Metroidvania-style game with RPG elements. Good combination of gameplay, art, and music. One of the characters has annoying voice acting but it's bearable. Yes, it has anthropomorphic animals in it, but I wouldn't count that against it - the overall plot has your character stopping genocide so it leans closer to Watership Down than the furries at the local comic convention. The story has a bit too many videogame tropes in it but meh, overall it's fun. Good for 10-15 hours of gameplay depending on whether you do all the sidequests. I may try to 100% this someday.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Ragequit: Deadlight. The worst sin of this game is a combination of awful controls, checkpoints, and long action sequences. For instance, having to jump on a roof to evade zombies requires you to literally be under the roof's edge within a few pixels while standing still. There's no tolerance for error, and since the zombies are on you within a few seconds, dying means you get to go back a few minutes to the beginning of the chapter. There's no reason for the lousy checkpoint, since there are a few parts in between where you are out of danger.

There's a section later in the game where I was supposed to run through a building and climb some ledges. Simple enough, right? For some reason I kept dying. Nothing was hitting me, I wasn't falling and there were no enemies. Just me dropping dead. I said gently caress this and quit and came back a few days later. Turns out that the section was supposed to have the roof caving in after a certain amount of time which is what was killing me. Guess what animation wasn't triggering??

Deadlight could have been a rad game and I think everyone was taken in with the presentation. The controls were bad, the main character's voice was baffling and the story was terrible and did absolutely nothing with the setting. Hey remember the 80s?? Here's some stupid poo poo in the menu vaguely referencing them and we'll never mention it again.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Beat - Faerie Solitaire: Surprisingly fun and addicting. I've been playing this on-and-off while watching TV/movies over the past few weeks. The "story" drags on forever, but it's a good game that you don't have to pay much attention to. I'm gonna complete the challenges, and then call it done (27 / 30 achievements is good enough since the rest will involve "grinding" to hatch baby monsters).

thizzin forever
Apr 10, 2007

I stopped playing EU3 long enough to finish a few games.

Beat: Super Mario Land 2. It was OK but it just felt off in some way. I can't really describe it but the controls didn't feel like a Mario game should feel. It's been a long time since I played the first SML so I can't remember if I had the same complaint with it although I remember really enjoying it. For the record I played it on the 3DS so maybe the image being stretched out had something to do with it? I really don't know, it just felt kind of sluggish and like I had very little momentum. Also Wario's Castle is bullshit.

Nulled: Risen. Had heard some OK things about this but quit it within a couple hours. It felt like they couldn't figure out how to start their story so they just dropped me into the second chapter. There's no setup or backstory on this world or what is happening or why I should give a poo poo and the character doesn't even have amnesia. It's established that he has a connection to this world and these factions but it's never gone into or explained. 20 Minutes into the game and I'm asked to choose a side in a conflict without knowing anything about them except one is religious and the other are swamp bandits. There is also way, way too much boring dialogue and fetch quests for the start of a game and the animations the characters go into while talking is a very short loop. So every conversation is two people repeatedly making the same sweeping gestures over and over and over and man are there ever a lot of conversations. Also the combat is incredibly bad and there's a whole lot of it.

Nulled: Battlefield 3. I played the multiplayer for a while when it came out then forgot about it then remembered it when I got an email from Origin about someone changing all of my account details to Russian. I decided to go back and check the single player. It's a modern military FPS so I didn't like it. I like shooters when you circle strafe and shoot, not when you hide behind cover and peek out to take a shot and every enemy within 500 feet immediately starts head shotting you and the camera jerks around until you take cover again.

Nulled: Slender: The Eight Pages. I don't know. Horror games just don't do anything for me. I can never lose sight of the fact that it's just a videogame so there's no dread or panic. I got a jump scare out of it but that's not enough to keep me coming back.

Beat: Dive Kick. Haven't touched the single player and don't plan to but I've played enough of the multiplayer to be OK with tagging it beaten. It's a ton of fun. I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys fighting games or anyone who wants to but is intimidated by the learning curve. Stripping fighting games down to their fundamentals makes the game much more approachable and also helps as a teaching tool for other fighting games. I've run into a few technical issues and a couple of the characters seem more joke than legit but I'm having a lot of fun with it.

Beat: Yatagarasu. Finished the single player because no one is playing online, or at least they weren't when I checked. It's a fighting game made by ex-KoF devs with input from high level Third Strike players. That sentence pretty well sums up what it is, and while it is very rough around the edges, being untranslated from Japanese and frequently popping up error messages (also in Japanese) or just straight up crashing, I still enjoyed it. As could be expected considering its lineage, there is some good looking 2D sprite work on display.

e- Played with a friend and it ran like crap online, we've never had an issue before and play Dive Kick a lot without issue. Thought it was the game, but I found a random match and it ran perfectly so who knows. I will say when it's working it's great.

I have a few things I'd still like to do in EU3 before I shelve it for good. I also adopted what seems to be the tactic of most people in this thread and just started nulling everything I don't plan on finishing because I was tired of seeing 200 sports games that other people dumped on me over the years even though I don't like sports in my Unfinished category.

thizzin forever fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Sep 2, 2013

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
One side effect of a gigantic backlog is a huge array of saleable trading cards that you can use to grow your backlog more.

New Game: Bleed. This was probably ill-advised, because Gunstar Heroes didn't do much for me. On the other hand, I'm not sure why it didn't. So I guess we'll see.
New Game (pending): Kentucky Route Zero. I'm not yet sure how I want to count this for backlog purposes; depending on how the episodes are structured I'll either set it up like the Blackwell series (each episode as "DLC") or I'll make it one unit that doesn't get added until it's done. I expect to be playing at least some of this sooner rather than later, though.

Also, holy crap:
COMPLETED: English Country Tune. I've been playing this on and off for about three months, dropping 12 hours on it overall in-game, and I finally finished every stage. I have no idea if it's a good game or not. I thought the description on the store page was a little overly-generic (roughly, "A 3D abstract puzzle game that introduces a variety of mechanics that are deeper than they first appear and then combines them in surprising ways") but that really is the narrowest thing you can say that still covers it. So I'm comfortable saying it's a superb piece of design. That said, it's a superb piece of design for what are predominantly block-pushing and hit-all-the-squares-without-retracing-your-steps puzzles. If you feel the need for 3D variable gravity Sokoban with telekinesis, pathfinding, and raw geometry puzzles, you probably wound up with this from some Humble Bundle and it's waiting there for you. My one suggestion is: if you play this, keep notes about the edge cases of the mechanics. You'll have forgotten the mechanic by the time it comes up again if you play it in brief sessions over a long time.

I ultimately needed three hints; two in the "Half-Sided" world and one in "Advanced Planting". Otherwise I cleared it entirely on my own, and neither of those worlds will block progress, either. (Half-Sided seems to be the consensus for "hardest world in the game" and it's only got four levels.) So the difficulty was well-pitched for me, too.

ON DECK: Nothing, again. I seem to have stopped having a preplanned queue of games of play. I'm not sure if that's good or bad, really.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

I own 1,190 Steam games and close to 500 Desura games. I guess now is as good as time as any to actually play through some.

Beat

Anodyne - Fun Zelda like game about depression, I think. The controller support is pretty spotty with my 360 so I was missing attacks and jumps because I moved the stick slightly to one direction or another. Dialogue is pretty good, but something you'll either click with or won't. Music is fantastic in that unsettling way. Glad I played through it. Recommended with caution - must actively enjoy mind fucks like Jacob's Ladder or Mind Game.

Bollywood Wannabe - A rhythm/platformer. A neat concept worth $1-5, not the $10 asking price. A lot of detail went into the backgrounds and people. Problem is you focus more of your time on the "track" area and miss out on the fun stuff above. The music is catchy as hell. Seriously, check out this trailer and try not to move to the beat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMFVp2-MEOk

All-in-all I enjoyed it. Recommended with caution - buy cheap.

Mutant Mudd - Got it in a bundle. Surprisingly good platformer that starts out nice and easy and slowly ramps the difficulty up to insane. Lots of neat little bonuses and nods to classic games of old. This is a "retro" style game, but one that doesn't feel forced or wears out its weclome. Recommended

Toki Tori - Charming as hell. Gorgeous too. The original was a pretty fun puzzle game. The sequel takes the basic concept and turns it into a fun exploration game. Sorta metroid-like but no where near as action packed. This is more of a relaxing puzzle game with a huge world to explore. Give it a shot. Recommended

Playing

ittle Dew - Seems like a fun little Zelda romp.

virtualboyCOLOR fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Sep 3, 2013

DannyTanner
Jan 9, 2010

Beat: Papo and Yo
Sad platformer that was hampered by frustrating mechanics at times. Alcoholism sucks, man. :(

Beat: Mortal Kombat 9
I don't like fighting games usually but I really liked the campaign of MK9. You get like 4 fights in a row as one character then the story moves on and you play as someone else.

Nulled: Deadlight
Holy gently caress, this game was awful. I had it installed on a SSD, and the load times after deaths were still atrocious. Miserable controls. I quit shortly after I got to the sewer stage.

Beat: Max Payne 3
This game's atmosphere is nothing like the first two, but it was still really fun. Some of the dialog was questionable: "He won't be rebooting any more systems any time soon" after seeing an IT guy murdered.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

NULLED: Gish
Ten or however many years ago I was super impressed with how novel Gish was when I first played it, but as I go back to it now, it's simply been outclassed by better games and it's showing its age.

NULLED: ExCeed 2
I'm pretty terrible at bullet hell games as it stands, but with this there just wasn't any wind-up, I tried it on Normal and this game throws you directly in the deep end and ExPects you to know what you're doing. It was overwhelming and nothing compelled me to continue, so nulled it goes.

NULLED: Darksiders
This wasn't bad, per-se, but it just felt like a repetitive beat-em-up with moronic comic book writing and aesthetic- I'm waiting for the MGR: Revengeance port to hit Steam because it makes this game look like chump meat by comparison. I might've kept playing it, but it wasn't behaving correctly with my controller and the k+m controls are awkward.

BEAT: Loom
Much of my backlog is adventure games, and it was high-time I'd played this given its reputation. Short, pleasant little adventure game with a pretty unique gimmick. The puzzles were pretty simple and you could easily brute-force them by going through your drafts if you got stuck, but it's actually mostly logical solutions provided you remember what you're doing. Pretty consistently good voice acting throughout the whole thing and the world was intriguing enough without ever over-explaining itself.

BEAT: Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
Harkening back to when adventure games had way too many loving buttons, premature game-ending lock-outs, Indie Quotient points..?, and terrible combat systems. The puzzles in this are more obtuse, it was more of a slog than Loom was, but I'll give it credit for having multiple endings and kind of playing around with the story from the movie from time to time.

BEAT: Superbrothers Sword & Sworcery EP
Tonally this felt kind of like Adventure Time to me, somewhat similar styles to them. The reliance on moon cycles and the attempt at social networking integration was annoying, but it still won me over with its chill gameplay and wonderful music.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

ManxomeBromide posted:

Also, holy crap:
COMPLETED: English Country Tune. I've been playing this on and off for about three months, dropping 12 hours on it overall in-game, and I finally finished every stage. I have no idea if it's a good game or not.

I've been playing this as well for a little bit, but I'm really struggling with the camera. I feel like I'm constantly in battle with it and it's just a huge source of frustration, particularly on certain levels. The second level of Advanced Whale, for example - the pyramid - is just a total nightmare. You can't see anything, and the camera swings about seemingly at random which just compounds the misery even further. I haven't even been able to move the whale a single step on that level because I just cannot see what I'm doing. This is the same problem I had with RUSH, another 3D puzzle game.

I really wish the game let you skip levels, even just one per world, or otherwise opened up more worlds to you. Between the pyramid and a few annoying levels on Advanced Larvae I get the feeling that I won't be progressing any further, and from everything I've read it seems the best puzzles are later on.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Beat: Dead Space - Glad I played it on hard, like was suggested. Very fun game, with some genuine scares as well as its share of jumps. Looking forward to NG+ing it on Impossible.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

Glare Seethe posted:

I really wish the game let you skip levels, even just one per world, or otherwise opened up more worlds to you. Between the pyramid and a few annoying levels on Advanced Larvae I get the feeling that I won't be progressing any further, and from everything I've read it seems the best puzzles are later on.

Kind of, but I have to admit that the Whale was my favorite mechanic overall. It was a great mix of power and having to be very careful in order to maintain control of the puzzle state.

If this is the pyramid with the holes in it and the whale is somewhere inside it, there's a trick to it: Never enter the pyramid. You should be able to push it out merely by pushing the light shooting out of gaps. If there aren't any gaps, you made a mis-move and need to undo..

The camera is still obnoxious - I particularly missed having freelook available in some missions where you can be in a fail state but not be able to see the part that's failing. But it does fall to persistence and it also is one of those games like SpaceChem where you seem to spend a lot of your time "playing" it in your hindbrain when not actually playing it.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

ManxomeBromide posted:

If this is the pyramid with the holes in it and the whale is somewhere inside it, there's a trick to it: Never enter the pyramid. You should be able to push it out merely by pushing the light shooting out of gaps. If there aren't any gaps, you made a mis-move and need to undo..

That's the one. Thanks, I'm going to give it another go keeping this in mind. I do really like the Whale mechanic as well, though I've only seen that and Larvae so far. Some of what I read about the later mechanics reminded me a bit of the old game Heaven & Earth, which is still one of my favorite puzzle games ever, so I was doubly disappointed to get stuck so early in ECT. I'll keep at it and hope the camera doesn't kill it for me completely.

edit: Yeah, that did it. The camera is still a nightmare though, good lord.

edit2: Beat Advanced Whale and thought I'd unlocked a new world, but unfortunately I still have to go through Advanced Larva. I really think that's a bad decision on the developer's part, although I suppose SpaceChem is the same. ECT feels to me a lot more trial and error than SpaceChem, though, but maybe I'm just not as good at it.

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Sep 3, 2013

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Anodyne - Fun Zelda like game about depression, I think. The controller support is pretty spotty with my 360 so I was missing attacks and jumps because I moved the stick slightly to one direction or another. Dialogue is pretty good, but something you'll either click with or won't. Music is fantastic in that unsettling way. Glad I played through it. Recommended with caution - must actively enjoy mind fucks like Jacob's Ladder or Mind Game.

I love mindfucks but I couldn't stand playing this game long enough to find any.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Breadallelogram posted:

I love mindfucks but I couldn't stand playing this game long enough to find any.

Did you get to the black and white "Leave it to Beaver" style town? If you did and still didn't enjoy it then, yeah, nothing further on will change your mind.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Bobby The Rookie posted:

NULLED: Gish
Ten or however many years ago I was super impressed with how novel Gish was when I first played it, but as I go back to it now, it's simply been outclassed by better games and it's showing its age.

Yeah Gish was fantastic when it was new but it has not aged well at all.

Also beat Dead Space 3. Not a bad game by any means just a really disappointing one. Everything about the crafting and shooting and exploring is solid but where the first two games were short, dense, well crafted and well paced horror/action games Dead Space 3 is just a really drawn out action blockbuster with a garbage story and lots of half-baked ideas. I was originally really bummed to hear that EA was giving up on the franchise (though I doubt they would kill an IP like this completely) but now I think that it's a good thing we won't have another Dead Space for a while. The series needs a reboot and fresh eyes and ideas.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Mutant Blobs Attack is basically "Gish, but good" and for the next two days it comes free with a discounted purchase of Guacamelee on GOG, another fantastic game! (/shameless plug)

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

BEAT

ittle Dew - Over before I knew it. 2 hours worth of game. Its not bad, but I'm glad I got it for $1. I hope they make a much longer, more rounded sequel. Recommended with caution - buy cheap as its too short.

Poopinstein
Apr 1, 2003

Yeah you did it!
I'm on vacation this week and since It's A.) school season and B.) Sinus and allergy season, I've spent my entire vacation at home sick! But, that means...video games! (I make that sound bad, but after the year I've had it's been pretty god-drat great, despite the cold!)

I've had some serious game ADD, but I've been having a blast. The theme of the week seems to be RPG's.

Un-Epic

I'm loving this game! It took a bit to get the hang of it, but now that I do, exploring has been a blast. I probably get more of a thrill from lighting all the torches than I should, but it's exciting! The broken english makes the story pretty hilarious all in all. Game seems long as hell, so it's a good fit.

Rogue Legacy

Great game all in all, but I suck and I get frustrated. So, I play it for about 30 minutes or so then move on. It's a pretty great fit for those spare moments.

Lord of the Rings: War in the North

Picked this up on the daily deal the other day and it's all right. I like some mindless hack and slash and this fits pretty well. I didn't figure out until about 3 hours in that you could roll to dodge so that changes things up quite a bit. The story's pretty laughable; "All this big important stuff happened in middle earth, but these guys did stuff too!" I'm not really hear for the story though.

Ghost Master

Jubs gave me a copy of Ghost Master last week, so figured I'd check it out. Got through the tutorial, it's not too shabby! Controls are a bit clunky, but it's from 2006, go figure! I'll be back for more of it soon!

Hammerwatch

I freaking LOVE Hamemrwatch, but I'm at the first boss and it's an asskicker. It's one of those 'step away' moments. I'll get back to it though! I made a video for it, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wX-FMIbD5FM in the early on. Wizard class 4 life, yo.

Trine 2

I fired up Trine 2 briefly out of Hammerwatch frustration. (Pre-LotR sale and figuring out Un-Epic) I liked the first one a lot. Second is more of the same, which isn't a bad thing. I'll get back to it though.

So, that's how I spent my late summer vacation, in bed sick! This new Focus sale is dangerous as Divinity II and Game of Thrones look right up my hack & slash alley!

SafetyTrain
Nov 26, 2012

Bringing a knife to a bear fight
Completed - Beyond Good and Evil

Good game, just really old. The plots okay and the jokes are kind of funny I guess. It does feel like this is a game for a younger audience though, and I felt that I'd probably have had a way different opinion of it had I played it on release on a PS, PS2 or whatever it was originally released for.

Completed - Dishonored

Been waiting to play this, and it was good. Played through the DLC, which was even better. Highly recommended, but it does get a bit easy and the plot is a tad predictable. For me, it was a revel in phantom-assassin power fantasies. So, gently caress yeah!

Completed - Metro: Last Light

Liked the first one, liked this one. It's eastern european, which means it's rough and unpolished (even if it is a pretty loving polished game.). I enjoyed it and any fan of FPS, horror-esque and post apocalyptic genre stuff will most likely enjoy it. Played it on hard, and it was a challenge at times. It felt rewarding when you actually beat the boss or encounter too, with sufficient chill time to let you contemplate what you just accomplished.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

Nulled: Persona 3 Portable. This was a tough one to give up on because I loved the first few hours of the game, the modern setting, and some of the writing. It was my first introduction to the Persona series and I thought I'd stumbled on a potential new favorite.

But as recently discussed in the Vita thread, the pacing is just awful once you get into the meat of the game. I'm lucky if I can find an hour for gaming in a day and I can't justify spending additional dozens of hours on P3P's samey dungeon maps and school days with the backlog I have.

I had hoped to beat this game before moving onto Persona 4 Golden but if I'm ever going to be successful chipping away at my backlog I need to learn to null games once they stop being fun.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Completed - The Room: I don't usually declare when I've beaten an Android game because they're typically short, simplistic, little things I do to while away the time when waiting for someone, riding the train, etc. However, I felt this game was worth mentioning because it was really good. If you're familiar with the "Escape the Room" style games, then you basically have the concept of this one. But this has exceptional graphics and clever, challenging puzzles while still being intuitive! If you have an Android and a dollar to spare, I highly recommend getting this game.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Beat - Mars: War Logs. A not very good RPG - I posted a brief review in the discussion thread. I think Spiders bit off way more than they could chew; nothing really stood out in this game, and even the length seemed mainly like padding. Not recommended.

Beat - The Walking Dead. Holy crap this deserved all the GOTY awards it received. It's like The Road with zombies. Just top-notch all around.

Beat - The Walking Dead - 400 Days DLC. The problem with the DLC is that the game built up characters you got to know over the period of ~12 hours. The DLC spends very little time (15 minutes or so) on five different characters so you never develop an emotional bond with any of them. This is supposed to be the prequel for Season 2 so perhaps this changes, but in context it feels like a different game.

Nulled - Saints Row 3. I gave it until after the prologue and the first setpiece, and it just seems too silly for my tastes. I don't think I will bother installing/trying SR2.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Nulled - Saints Row 3. I gave it until after the prologue and the first setpiece, and it just seems too silly for my tastes. I don't think I will bother installing/trying SR2.

SR2 is faaaar more mellow. You can compare the story and style to Grand Theft Auto 3 and there's a lot more mission variety than SR3.

thizzin forever
Apr 10, 2007

Beat: Game Dev Tycoon. I bought this when it first released and enjoyed it for a couple hours but once I dug into the details of how the simulation and review scores worked, which was essentially required because the game at launch surfaced and explained nothing, I lost interest in it. I saw the release notes for the Steam version and it looked like they addressed some of my complaints so I gave it another go. It's a far better game now that it explains what it is you did right or wrong and they've fixed the really stupid way review scores used to be calculated. It's probably too easy as I just breezed through the story without ever coming close to failing and it could benefit from more random events or staff management options but it was fine for a single playthrough. The lack of randomized events or randomized console performance makes the replay value basically nil unless you really care about maximizing your end score and I don't.

Still mucking around with Dive Kick and Yatagarasu and will probably play the first Broken Sword game next. I don't really know anything about it but I enjoy point and click adventure games provided they don't go over the top with adventure game logic or letting me die because I missed an item two hours earlier.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Bobby The Rookie posted:

NULLED: Darksiders
This wasn't bad, per-se, but it just felt like a repetitive beat-em-up with moronic comic book writing and aesthetic- I'm waiting for the MGR: Revengeance port to hit Steam because it makes this game look like chump meat by comparison. I might've kept playing it, but it wasn't behaving correctly with my controller and the k+m controls are awkward.

I felt the same way until Twilight Cathedral - all of a sudden the game threw sweet Zelda dungeons at you and it became a legit fun time.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

You either have no soul or are over the age of 30 and forgot what "fun" is.

Playing

Fly'N - Great little platform. Graphics are gorgeous. Its nice to see a modern platformer with modern 2D graphics. A lot of other platformers try to use low res sprites to invoke some form of nostalgia, but they end up just suffering from indie-itus. I'm glad this game went out to show how a modern platformer can look. Just finished world 4. I think I'm near the end but we'll see.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

I haven't finished much lately but I've been taking a cue from others in the thread and started to null a bunch of stuff. I've been sitting on free stuff like Alien Breed 2 and old games like the Commander Keen series that I'm kidding myself to think that I'll ever sit down and play through. Maybe if I'm stuck somewhere with just my laptop.

I finally got around to starting Max Payne 3, which I bought a while ago on some Steam sale for $10. Man Rockstar really, really want to make movies don't they? The credits list tilts under the weight of all the animators and scripting.

So a lot of the cutscenes are skippable, but a lot of others just aren't, and that makes for an annoying amount of downtime in between shooting people in slow motion, especially when you die a lot like me and have to reload to the last checkpoint and go through all the scripted stuff again. At least the story is fairly entertaining cheeseball noir.

DannyTanner
Jan 9, 2010

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Max Payne 3 stuff

I was extremely frustrated playing Max Payne 3, until I bumped the difficulty down to Easy and stopped giving a crap.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
Made some good progress this week

Beat:
Ittle Dew - Short little game that is pretty much just doing Zelda-block puzzles. I sort of hoped it was more LTTP but alas. Took about 3 hours to beat but could have been 2 hrs. There isn't to collect "cards" and "combat" is trivial. I would say that there are some amusing lines but mostly fell flat. Graphics were cute enough.

Tomb Raider - I hadn't played an "AA(A?)" action-adventure game in awhile and this was a pleasant surprise. I only played Uncharted 1 and 2 which were at least several years ago and I can see the comparison to the series because everything that can go wrong does. I became surprised when some walkway or jump didn't fail on me. I think it could have been about an hour shorter as the gameplay wore thin near the end but was overall great from start to finish. Definitely worth it at the $10 I paid.

The Swapper - Great little indie puzzle game with creepy empty space-station esque atmosphere. Puzzles were fairly straight forward but definitely some tricky ones. Game doesn't really change them up that much but it's fairly short and ends at the right length.

Metro Last Light - Awesome game. I loved it much more than 2033 because the gunplay and stealth were infinitely better here. (I actually didn't quite finish 2033 after getting pissed off trying to stealth some area after coming out of a vent and decided just to watch a LP). 2033 felt much creepier but I enjoyed this. I thought the ending was a little abrupt but satisfying all the same.

Playing:
Hammerwatch - Old-school NES-esque Gauntlet game. Fun, albeit a little ugly and I think it's boring solo :( Unfortunately the friend I was saving a copy for isn't interested. I might try to organize a goon-play on this or else I'll end up nulling it.

I think I'm going to try to finish up Giana Sisters and Sonic Generations once and for all. They've been sitting at my In-Progress But Mostly Complete category forever now. Then I'll probably start Shadowrun Returns and will have pretty much finished off my >$10 game list. Unfortunately I still have about 200 (bundle) indie games that I should just admit to myself I'l never play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thizzin forever
Apr 10, 2007

Xaris posted:

Playing:
Hammerwatch - Old-school NES-esque Gauntlet game. Fun, albeit a little ugly and I think it's boring solo :( Unfortunately the friend I was saving a copy for isn't interested. I might try to organize a goon-play on this or else I'll end up nulling it.

I'm old enough to have played Gauntlet in arcades so I was pretty interested in this but I'm curious if there's any progression to it? As I understand it the levels aren't procedurally generated and a common complaint I'm seeing is that it takes too long for the characters to upgrade and get interesting, so whether or not upgrades persist between games will go a long way torward my decision if it's worth $10 or if I should just wait for a sale.