Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

I play mario kart with friends who have the digital version and never noticed a difference at all. Could be performance peculiarities based on the game I suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
PAL update (week of August 29):

quote:

WII U RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Rayman Legends - €44.99 / £36.99
    Disney Planes - €39.99 / £34.99
WII U VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    The Legend of Zelda (NES, US version) - €4.99 / £3.49
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Buy Pikmin 3 on the eShop, get Wonderful 101 on the eShop for 30% off! - ends September 21
    Trine 2: Directors' Cut (Wii U eShop) - €6.79 / £5.49 until September 5

3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Disney Planes - €29.99 / £24.99
    My Western Horse 3D - €29.99 / £34.49
3DS VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Ninja Gaiden II: The Dark Sword of Chaos (NES) - €4.99 / £4.49
DSiWARE
    Treasure Hunter X - 200 Points / €1.99 / £1.79
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    New Super Mario Bros. 2 (3DS) - 30% off all DLC packs/bundles until August 31
    Funfair Party Games (3DS eShop) - €14.99 / £13.49 until September 5

NA update (week of August 29):

quote:

WII U RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Rayman Legends (September 3) - $?
WII U eSHOP
    Pokemon Rumble U - $17.99
WII U VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    The Legend of Zelda (NES) - $4.99
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Trine 2: Directors' Cut (Wii U eShop) - $7.99 until September 5

3DS VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Wario Land 3 (GBC) - $4.99
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Code of Princess (3DS) - 30% off until August 31
    Etrian Odyssey IV (3DS) - 30% off until August 31
    Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner - Soul Hackers (3DS) - 30% off until August 31
    BIT.TRIP.SAGA (3DS) - $4.99 from September 1-15
CLUB NINTENDO DIGITAL REWARDS
    Brain Age Express: Sudoku (DSiWare) - 150 Coins, available until September 1
    Mario Golf (3DS VC) - 150 Coins, available until September 1
    NES Play Action Football (Wii VC) - 150 Coins, available until September 1
    Wario's Woods (Wii VC) - 150 Coins, available until September 1

NOA's PR site is 404'ing like it usually does, so I can't confirm the NA Rayman price.

The Pokemon Rumble U figurines are Gamestop-exclusive, for those who care.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Once Wario Land 3 comes out I'll finally own all of the main Wario Games! :toot: (Well... except the virtual boy one I guess. :()

This is the one most people tend to cite as their favorite, right? It'll be interesting to see how it stacks up to 4.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
People tend to flip between 2 and 3, I guess.

I really can't go back to WL3 - they completely over-complicated everything by adding tons of backtracking and gating and a billion different collectibles, like a bad N64 platformer gone 2D. It's not a terrible game or anything, I'm just not interested in that sort of pointless bloat anymore.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

People tend to flip between 2 and 3, I guess.

I really can't go back to WL3 - they completely over-complicated everything by adding tons of backtracking and gating and a billion different collectibles, like a bad N64 platformer gone 2D. It's not a terrible game or anything, I'm just not interested in that sort of pointless bloat anymore.

Sounds like the intersection of Wario Land and a Metroidvania.

I have never been so excited.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Yeah I just looked back to the conversations we had in this thread back when 2 came out in the US and it looks like people were pretty split and 3 introduces some annoying backtracking mechanics and more mandatory minigames.

I'm intrigued, at least.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
I don't know what you're all talking about because Wario Land 1 is objectively the best :colbert: Really couldn't get into 2 or 3. 4 was okayish.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

It doesn't help that the majority of Wario's move set you get used to using in WL2 is stripped from you and made into treasures you need to find before you can do any of them.

Like swimming, brick breaking stomping, carrying enemies and the like.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

I don't know what you're all talking about because Wario Land 1 is objectively the best :colbert: Really couldn't get into 2 or 3. 4 was okayish.

Wario Land 1 is just too much like a Mario game for my taste. It's got a bit of what made the later Wario games good and unique, but they really improved on the original.

Edit: Alright well a few minutes into Wario Land 3 and I just stood on a fat frog and made him cry, so this game is pretty good I think.

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Aug 29, 2013

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
Wario Land 3 Is The Worst.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

I still have my GBC and wario land 3 cart and still try to play it every once in awhile. I never know what the gently caress I'm supposed to do or where to go.

Maybe I should start it over from the beginning.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
Aw man, not Wario Land 3 hate. I grew up playing the gently caress out of it, surely it's the finest and most refined title in the series. It oozes charm and excellent design. :(

Doesn't the dude in the temple tell you where to go next if you're stuck?

Gandalf21
May 17, 2012

Wario Land 3 is seriously one of my favorite games ever. I played it to 100% completion so many times. I lost my GBC cart sometime in undergrad, so I'm glad I can get another copy finally.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

So far I'm definitely digging Wario Land 3. Except for the goddamn golf minigame which is mindboggling and awful.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Regy Rusty posted:

So far I'm definitely digging Wario Land 3. Except for the goddamn golf minigame which is mindboggling and awful.

Restore Points ahoy! This is the best part about this release. Because I agree that the golf minigame is the worst part about Wario Land 3. Other than that its a solid Puzzle Platformer (Could it be considered that?).

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I would enjoy Wario lands 2 and 3 much more if the designers had implemented a health system to punish mistakes rather than wasting the players time EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.

Got hit once by the boss? Climb back up and start the fight over.

Whoops you scratched a zombie. Climb back up and try again.

Whoops you touched a flame. Uncontrollably run around for like a minute.

Also spoiler the big music note coins in WL3 are a cruel joke, as they only serve to unlock more Golf Mingame.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Mr Phillby posted:

I would enjoy Wario lands 2 and 3 much more if the designers had implemented a health system to punish mistakes rather than wasting the players time EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.

Got hit once by the boss? Climb back up and start the fight over.

Whoops you scratched a zombie. Climb back up and try again.

Whoops you touched a flame. Uncontrollably run around for like a minute.

Also spoiler the big music note coins in WL3 are a cruel joke, as they only serve to unlock more Golf Mingame.

Fortunately I noticed that last part in the older posts in this thread I went back to read, so combine that with the fact that you have to get all 8 in one go of a level and I'm just not even bothering.

I definitely agree about the health thing. I just end up using restore points on particularly obnoxious points because I don't feel like trekking back through the level because I got knocked down somewhere. Wario Land 4's health system worked a lot better. I also like how that game turns enemies into not only obstacles or tools for puzzle solving, but also makes them drop health upgrades and gives you ways to increase the amount of money many of them drop.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Yeah, I don't think I would of bothered with Wario Land 2 or 3 without restore points. Tedious, time consuming bullshit greatly overshadows the little genuine fun in those games for me.

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

I suddenly got an "adventure" itch. Something like Zelda (outside of Zelda), Layton or Ghost Trick. Is there anything on the eShop that fits that bill?

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Awesome! posted:

I play mario kart with friends who have the digital version and never noticed a difference at all. Could be performance peculiarities based on the game I suppose.
The game loads slower off an SD card compared to the cart, could just be my SD though.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Does anyone know if the eShop version of bit.Trip Saga is eligible for Club Nintendo?

weird
Jun 4, 2012

by zen death robot
Isn't everything on the eShop eligible for Club Nintendo (as long as you've got your account linked before you buy whatever)? I think it's only physical purchases that may or may not be.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Does anyone know if the eShop version of bit.Trip Saga is eligible for Club Nintendo?

Only in the NA region. PAL people don't get CN coins/stars for eShop only games.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Thanks to both of your for your help!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

"PERFECT!"

Well having finished Wario Land 3 I think it ranks along side 2 for me. They both had certain things they did really well and were generally pretty fun, but also had a few annoying quirks that made them tedious at times. In the end 4 remains my favorite.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
Do the 3DS Virtual Console versions of Metroid 1 and Punch-Out have save slots added or do you have to use those awful passwords?

edit: Also, Animal Crossing New Leaf has been downloading for 30 minutes and it's STILL going. The gently caress?

Kevyn fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Sep 1, 2013

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Kevyn posted:

Do the 3DS Virtual Console versions of Metroid 1 and Punch-Out have save slots added or do you have to use those awful passwords?

You can make one save state per game, and when you exit the game it suspends it and resumes right where you were the next time you start it.

The T
May 29, 2010

A sufficiently chaotic system is maximally fair.

Kevyn posted:

edit: Also, Animal Crossing New Leaf has been downloading for 30 minutes and it's STILL going. The gently caress?

They use save states.

Animal Crossing is a full retail game. It's kind of big. And you're downloading it wirelessly.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

The download took less than 15 minutes for me on launch day. v:shobon:v

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
If anyone was interested in buying pokemon rumble u and wasn't planning on getting it through gamestop in-store, let me know - I'm trying to get the other gs exclusive figurine, and can email you the redemption code.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

AngryCaterpillar posted:

PAL people don't get CN coins/stars for eShop only games.

Yeah we do - 50 stars.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Sodium Chloride posted:

Yeah we do - 50 stars.

It must depend on the price; I remember buying cheap games from the eShop and not getting any stars at all.

Edit: Apparently they don't give stars for WiiWare or DSiWare anymore.

quote:

How many Stars do I get for the products that I register?
Welcome bonus for initial registration as a member of Club Nintendo = 250 Stars
Registration and completing the survey for hardware:
Wii U console = 1000 Stars
Nintendo 3DS = 750 Stars
Wii console = 1000 Stars
Nintendo DS = 500 Stars
Registration and completing the survey for packaged software:
Wii U software = 250 Stars
Nintendo 3DS software = 250 Stars
Wii software = 200-250 Stars
Nintendo DS software = 200-250 Stars
Downloading software on a console linked to Club Nintendo and completing the corresponding survey:
Wii U software that is also available in packaged form = 250 Stars
Nintendo 3DS software that is also available in packaged form = 250 Stars. Completing the survey within 28 days after download = additional 250 Stars
WiiWare on Wii, Nintendo DSiWare on Nintendo DSi or Nintendo DSi XL, Virtual Console on Wii = 50 Stars, (currently unavailable)

http://www.nintendo.co.uk/Club-Nintendo/About-Club-Nintendo/How-to-get-Stars/How-to-get-Stars-622685.html#starsoverview

AngryCaterpillar fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Sep 2, 2013

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
This is from my PAL AU/NZ Club Nintendo account:

50 Stars for completing a survey for some downloadable titles. I still haven't play Dragon Quest IX yet, I got it because it was dirt cheap and I wanted a traditional RPG to mess around with at some point but have been distracted by actual 3DS games (not pictured because they are UK imports).

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Huh, why do they do stars instead of coins and why are the values different?

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

uPen posted:

Huh, why do they do stars instead of coins and why are the values different?

Because PAL region doesn't get the option of free games or anything like that. If we accrue thousands of stars we can get ringtones, wallpapers and MSN avatars.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Because PAL region doesn't get the option of free games or anything like that. If we accrue thousands of stars we can get ringtones, wallpapers and MSN avatars.

There are a couple of nice looking things in there, but yeah the options are pretty slim.

It's free stuff though, can't really complain.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

It would be better if they cut out some of the DS stuff and put up new 3DS focused stuff instead though.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
hjf

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Sep 3, 2013

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

PAL update (week of September 5):

Revenge of the Gator is a fairly traditional pinball game from HAL Laboratory that was released a few years before Kirby's Pinball Land; it doesn't have a whole lot going for it aside from nostalgia.

Yeah, Gator is fun enough but very very basic, Pinball Land is the culmination of HAL's triple-tier pinball trilogy with some actual interesting goals to shoot for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I've heard that TNT Racers is supposed to be kinda decent. Might look into that.