Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

nerdbot posted:

Whenever I see Homestuck Tumblr posts I feel like they're reading an entirely different story with entirely different characters. People have such strongly different identities established for Vriska and Tavros and Gamzee than anything the comic would tell you about them. In spite of the, uh, passion, that you see amongst Homestuck fans, I would be willing to bet that a large majority of its most vocal readers barely follow the actual events and just like the idea of it.

And Caliborn still has the anime book: I am guessing there is a pretty good chance that he will master it by his recreation of Hivebent, where he will have all the characters as wacky anime romance versions of themselves. I am calling it here!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010
On the other end of the spectrum, you have people like Bladekindeyewear who are a completely different flavor of crazy. Not gonna lie, I enjoy reading his bizarre posts about weird twists he's 100% sure will happen. :allears:

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
If you want a vision of the future, imagine a god tier shoe stamping on a bogus dave face - forever.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Uh-oh, Caliborn's crossed the line. John's pretty mad now. I can't wait to see where this goes. :allears:

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Boneless Jogger posted:

On the other end of the spectrum, you have people like Bladekindeyewear who are a completely different flavor of crazy. Not gonna lie, I enjoy reading his bizarre posts about weird twists he's 100% sure will happen. :allears:
I think my favorite one is how he still thinks AR is going to be a villain/Doc Scratch somehow.

Also it looks like John is finally making enough impression to make Caliborn actually stop narrating over him. The updates can't come any faster.

No.44
Dec 14, 2012

glowing-fish posted:

And Caliborn still has the anime book: I am guessing there is a pretty good chance that he will master it by his recreation of Hivebent, where he will have all the characters as wacky anime romance versions of themselves. I am calling it here!

I'm now convinced that LE is actually his Dragonball-Z OC.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Fister Roboto posted:

This is definitely the funniest MSPA has been in months, maybe years.

I dunno, Dave wetting himself laughing at his own selfies was pretty great gently caress that was months ago wasn't it :suicide:

ALEX TRILLTON
Sep 9, 2011

IF I'M EVER A DICK ON THE INTERNET, TELL PAULSEPHIROTH'S MOM

Renaissance Robot posted:

I dunno, Dave wetting himself laughing at his own selfies was pretty great gently caress that was months ago wasn't it :suicide:

That was about a month ago! ...or two?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

ALEX TRILLTON posted:

That was about a month ago! ...or two?

June.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Something I really like is how John is immediately hitting (one of) the message(s) this Caliborn section with him has been about. Where Caliborn is removing actual character from the female characters and devolving the story agency to only the (Alpha) male. It's one of those things that fits so perfectly with John being kept out of the loop for so long.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

What does a pile of bogus Daves smell like?

Arbitrary Number
Nov 10, 2012

Grrl Anachronism posted:

What does a pile of bogus Daves smell like?

Irony.

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010
This is the best way to get John pissed and motivated to defeat Caliborn. :thumbsup:

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

And piss applejuice.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

But... how can you hate Caliborn when he's having so much fun :unsmith:

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Blackheart posted:

But... how can you hate Caliborn when he's having so much fun :unsmith:

Just because he's having fun, doesn't mean he or what he's doing isn't terrible.

Just like Homestuck fans.

Grand Gigas
Jul 2, 2006

True heroes always show up late.
Homestuck is the only thing I've ever read where I've ever thought "finally, another intermission; time for the real poo poo."

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Can I just say that I love how dumb Caliborn's presentation of Dave's time travel is? Like, think about it. How's he gonna travel back in time after he dies? And why not to a point in time before he died? :allears:

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

CuddlyZombie posted:

Can I just say that I love how dumb Caliborn's presentation of Dave's time travel is? Like, think about it. How's he gonna travel back in time after he dies? And why not to a point in time before he died? :allears:
Obviously those are all past bogus daves, idiot

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I hope the pattern of Caliborn "improving" his "art" "skill" continues in the ensuing chapters of Homosuck. Chekhov's Copy of More How to Draw Manga is hanging above the mantel, so by the time Homosuck reaches Hivebent we had better be seeing cheekmouths. Best-case scenario, the whole section looks like Dominic Deegan or somebody's Deviantart.

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010

Bongo Bill posted:

I hope the pattern of Caliborn "improving" his "art" "skill" continues in the ensuing chapters of Homosuck. Chekhov's Copy of More How to Draw Manga is hanging above the mantel, so by the time Homosuck reaches Hivebent we had better be seeing cheekmouths. Best-case scenario, the whole section looks like Dominic Deegan or somebody's Deviantart.

I can only hope John would be there, too. I would love to see his reaction to anime trolls.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
Bogus Vriska gets the deviantart cyclops thing you see when only one eye is drawn because the other one's supposed to be behind some hair or something, but it's too big and central to actually look like that.

Also it's the one with the eyepatch.

Parsley
Jul 17, 2012

Everyone's feet are cut off and their arms are constantly behind their back.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I remember way back when, while Lord English was actually being introduced, there was some uncertainty if he could be the real main villain of the story when nobody even knows or understands what he is or what he's done. It was even referenced by Dave when he insisted to Evil Jade that he doesn't feel a personal stake in fighting Lord English.

That in mind, John seeing what a travesty Caliborn's making of the story is one of the funniest ways to get him invested in kicking his rear end ever. Forget the whole puppet master of fate thing, all the mass murders and planets destroyed and what have you - John hates his lovely art and storytelling.

I still wonder exactly what the relationship between Caliborn and Lord English is. Is the Caliborn we see here annoying John one who will become Lord English and go on to wreck up the multiverse? Is the actual story so far the result of his meddling, or is he going to take control of the story directly some time soon and start changing real events? Will he add Lord English to the real timeline retroactively? Will he come up with Doc Scratch himself?

Basically, it's still kind of hard to figure out how Caliborn and "Homosuck" will tie into the main story and timeline.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Hamiltonian Bicycle posted:

Bogus Vriska gets the deviantart cyclops thing you see when only one eye is drawn because the other one's supposed to be behind some hair or something, but it's too big and central to actually look like that.

Also it's the one with the eyepatch.

VRISKAISTHISYOU?

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009

CuddlyZombie posted:

Well how else do you think he's able to picture time travel. Remember, he's got two time travelers who do pile up like that in his employee.

Has Caliborn's thing even had an actual effect on the 'real homestuck' proper? I mean the bit with John dying looked like it had an effect, but it seems to be more the fact that John was just going through the canon seemingly randomly.

And something occurred to me about the 'horse irony' thing:
Hussie was making fun of Caliborn's bit here, before we saw it. Directly pointed at Caliborn as Lord English. But since Caliborn can presumably see the narrative, since he knew that no one was seeing it. Since he started 'chapter 2' from right where he left off. He would have presumably read/seen Hussie say that. So Caliborn took that, either thinking it was serious, or was using it to mock Hussie.

A double reacharound of mocking/imitation.

Well, unless I'm misunderstanding just what all Caliborn can do right now.

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010

Kgummy posted:

And something occurred to me about the 'horse irony' thing:
Hussie was making fun of Caliborn's bit here, before we saw it. Directly pointed at Caliborn as Lord English. But since Caliborn can presumably see the narrative, since he knew that no one was seeing it. Since he started 'chapter 2' from right where he left off. He would have presumably read/seen Hussie say that. So Caliborn took that, either thinking it was serious, or was using it to mock Hussie.

A double reacharound of mocking/imitation.

Nope. I've read this paragraph five times now and each time I have failed to understand it on even a basic grammatical level, let alone apply any meaning to it with regards to Homestuck. What?

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
What's so ironic about the horses? Well, what media involving small horses is infamous for having a fandom full of highly visible entitled, sexist, perverted manchildren who try as hard as they can to ruin it for everyone else?

If Caliborn were a human boy on Earth he would be a brony.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

krakagar posted:

Nope. I've read this paragraph five times now and each time I have failed to understand it on even a basic grammatical level, let alone apply any meaning to it with regards to Homestuck. What?

It's about this page and this page.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

krakagar posted:

Homestuck analysis, brought to us by Cormac McCarthy after a severe head injury.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009

krakagar posted:

I'll try to make it clearer, then. Hamiltonian Bicycle kindly provided the links. Well, one of the Hussie/Lord English show down, and one that I forgot. The other one I had in mind was the recent update.

Hussie's in-comic self confronted Lord English(aka Caliborn). Hussie talks about 'irony' and horses.

Which gets mirrored in the recent update, almost word for word.

What I meant was that, since Hussie is writing this, he was simply doing a call forward to 'Homosuck Chapter 2', as Caliborn called it. Sort of mocking Caliborn.

However since Hussie saying it takes place earlier in the narrative, Caliborn could likely see it with whatever the hell the narrative machine thing is called. The thing that's even letting Caliborn do Homesuck.

Caliborn also has some way of reading Homestuck itself, most likely through the same machine. I can't recall the specifics at the moment. He needs this because Homosuck is basically him 'retelling' Homestuck.

So Caliborn mocks/references/whatever Hussie's horses and irony speech.

But Hussie, being the writer, actually knows where poo poo is going, and probably already knew what Caliborn was going to say, he can reference something that would be in Lord English's past. Since Caliborn becomes Lord English. Though at the point where in-comic Hussie references it, we don't know the Homosuck context.

So because both Hussie and Caliborn are referencing each other, it's the whole 'double reacharound' thing that keeps popping up in Homestuck.

Is that better/easier to understand?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
English would remember it because he's grown up, and in his relative past he already did all that horse stuff when Hussie mentioned it.

Caliborn mentioned it because it already happened relative to the narrative.

No.44
Dec 14, 2012

So John must've realized by now that he's a character in a story right? how is he not having an existential crisis right now?.

Also, did Caliborn use that treasure to get to where he is right now? because the closest we've seen John get to him has been through Homosuck.

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.
After all the crazy crap John's been through I don't really see him having an existential crisis over such a discovery. More of a "Oh. That explains some things," reaction before going about his business.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

No.44 posted:

because the closest we've seen John get to him has been through Homosuck.

I think you're forgetting an Intermission Intermission.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

No.44 posted:

So John must've realized by now that he's a character in a story right? how is he not having an existential crisis right now?

John Egbert has attained CHIM.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

No.44 posted:

So John must've realized by now that he's a character in a story right? how is he not having an existential crisis right now?.

It happened offscreen, while he was talking to a version of Hussie.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

k5josh posted:

Someone is building Jake's house.
Well, now we know who it is: Jane.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Whatchu doin', Jane?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~

No.44 posted:

Right now he's too busy raging at Caliborn for deep introspection. With all the poo poo John's seen, if it does occur to him later I'd half expect him to just shrug it off anyway. It's probably not even in the top ten of Weird poo poo Revelations by now.