Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

^^^Thanks. (to the guy who answered my question about levies)

I'm about to form the Wendish Empire, assuming nothing goes hilariously wrong. How should I divide up my kingdom titles? Up until now I've been very careful about making sure no one has more than one duchy so they can't get too powerful and making as many dukes as possible dynasty members so even if I'm defeated in a vote, odds are my dynasty will still be in power. But throwing in King titles means that I'll end up with a handful of subordinates that have decent chunks of power by themselves.

e:

Mailer posted:

The plots are generally announced by the spymaster, and if I ever have excommunicated vassals it will probably be announced, but it's the "dishonorable" stuff that confuses me. It didn't seem to affect me at all but having a -10 makes me think I should have at least known why the modifier was there.

Dishonorable generally means they declared war on you, so in a confused scrum of rebellions she might have accidentally sided against you at some point?

StashAugustine fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Sep 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glass Hand
Apr 24, 2006

Just one more finger, Trent.
The "-10 Dishonorable" with someone comes from getting caught trying to plot-murder someone of their same dynasty (it may come from other plots too, I'm unsure of that). At least, that's how I get "Dishonorable" in my games; it's just the side-effect of plot-murder sprees, particularly when plot-murdering members of a large dynasty. I've never noticed it having anything to do with war declarations.

Glass Hand fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Sep 2, 2013

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
My ruler and all three of my children just survived the plague. My lover, the duchess of Epirus, just contracted gonorrhea :stare:

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
http://www.mediafire.com/download/rtlcql0rb1j54vk/landed_titles.txt

Right! Updated landed_titles.txt, still goes in your mod\CK2Plus_FTT\common\landed_titles folder.

What I changed this time was:

1) Made Roslavl actually exist (it was a black, unclickable mark on my map)
2) Fixed some messed up... uh... lines? I dunno, I closed some brackets properly. I'm not a modder/programmer/tech-savvy person by any stretch of the imagination

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Just had the most stable succession I've ever seen- worst opinion of the new guy is +42. Good thing too, my last king decided to die young in the middle of a war.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

StashAugustine posted:

I'm about to form the Wendish Empire, assuming nothing goes hilariously wrong. How should I divide up my kingdom titles? Up until now I've been very careful about making sure no one has more than one duchy so they can't get too powerful and making as many dukes as possible dynasty members so even if I'm defeated in a vote, odds are my dynasty will still be in power. But throwing in King titles means that I'll end up with a handful of subordinates that have decent chunks of power by themselves.

There's no real penalty for having multiple King titles, other than the sheer hassle of dealing with that many dukes in general and maybe gavelkind-related fuckery. As a result, handing out kingdom titles is mostly a matter of convenience - you can keep a couple of kingdoms (or even all of them) for yourself if you want, just to make sure you stay bigger and badder than your vassal kings.

Can Catholics not declare Holy War on Muslim heretics? I have no CB against the Iberian Muslims, and the only reason I can think of is that every Muslim province west of Rome is Ibadi (a Sunni heresy). It's pretty annoying, since I'm running low on expansion possibilities that don't involve picking fights with the HRE, the Byzantines, the Ilkhanate, or the Androusids.

Edit: And while I'm asking questions, what the hell governs vassals joining factions? I've had vassals with 100 relations toward me joining factions to support someone they barely even like.

Main Paineframe fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Sep 2, 2013

Dryer Lint
May 17, 2010

Biggest most lovable jerk on the internet.
:sun:
Do levies in CKII++ still take 30 years to regenerate?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Managed to fight the Seljuks to a standstill and finally capture their leader himself, despite having about a quarter of their total forces. :feelsgood: I think I've more or less figured out how to fight a war. Bring on the Mongols!

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

StashAugustine posted:

You should hold onto large kingdom titles but kingdoms comprised of a few duchies are safe enough to hand out. Kings are sort of dangerous but they also streamline your administration because you no longer have to care about what the dukes think of you. The only penalty for not giving them out is a -10 from everyone in the kingdom because they all want the title, which sucks but being an emperor has enough benefits that it doesn't really matter. The real danger is kings who expand beyond their de jure borders, whether into foreign land or by inheritance/conquest within your realm, but as long as you use every excuse you get to take that land away you'll be fine.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

StashAugustine posted:

Dishonorable generally means they declared war on you, so in a confused scrum of rebellions she might have accidentally sided against you at some point?

I think it can be more than that. I had something like this on a guy who, to my knowledge, only knocked up my wife. Unless I missed something, that counted as Dishonorable.

...well, not that I don't think it isn't particularly honorable, but I mean in game terms.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

What's a good balance for retinue composition? I've just about gotten enough income to pay for it and I need the troops.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

StashAugustine posted:

What's a good balance for retinue composition? I've just about gotten enough income to pay for it and I need the troops.

I'm pretty sure the absolute best remains horse archers and heavy cavalry. That said, early on when I'm just getting my first retinues I go with skirmishers, because they have a smaller cap hit. Being able to get that second batch of 500 troops is just too nice, especially when you're surrounded by other small countries. Once I have a large enough cap that I can have a few thousand at any given time I'll get rid of the crappy ones and replace them with the better retinues, but for the first generation or two I use the ones that give me the most guys.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008
For retinues its usually a good idea to go with your culture specific retinue (housecarls for Scandinavia, knights for France etc) the best cultural and by extension the best retinues are considered to be Greek Cataphracts (heavy Cav+Horse archer) French/German knights (Heavy cav and light Cav, dont confuse with the normal cavalry retinue) and Horse archer retinues but I dont remember all the cultures that have those, Turks and Mongols for sure.
Cultural Retinues get a bonus equivalent to you highest cultural building (this does not have to be built yet so for example housecarl heavy infantry start with +60% offense)

Archers are great for sieging, as damage during assaults is based on skirmish attack values (so heavy cav and heavy infantry do poorly here) Horse archers are also good at it.
Heavy Cavalry and Heavy infantry are solid choices for armies and Horse Archers are just good all round units. Light Cav is kinda meh as it only does well in the pursue phase of combat, so they are good for killing dudes after you have won a combat but not for winning a combat.

So in short get your cultural retinue, especially if you are Greek or have access to horse archers. For regular retinues get archers (skirmish retinue) and Heavy Infantry (shock) I find the cavalry Retinues too expensive both in terms of size and money to be worth it, though in the early game if you dont have Heavy Cav as a cultural unit its probably the only way to get significant numbers of heavy cavalry.

SpRahl fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Sep 2, 2013

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I accidentally gave control of my newly built castle to a mayor. He is one of my direct vassals with two holdings (including the castle) How do I change this without incurring the tyranny that revoking a title will give me?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I accidentally gave control of my newly built castle to a mayor. He is one of my direct vassals with two holdings (including the castle) How do I change this without incurring the tyranny that revoking a title will give me?

Take a look at the inheritance, odds are you'll inherit the castle. Plot to kill him, and you should get it back.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

kingturnip posted:

Arrange a marriage with the Emperor of Francia's daughter that grants an alliance. The next thing that happens? A dozen or so Counts and Dukes declare war to get someone else on the throne and persuade a couple of Karling Kings to join the party.
When the dust settles, I no longer have an alliance and my son is married to a thoroughly useless woman.

Fanfuckingtastic.

Defenitely not useless. Her children will inherit her claims to the Empire won't they?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Main Paineframe posted:

There's no real penalty for having multiple King titles, other than the sheer hassle of dealing with that many dukes in general and maybe gavelkind-related fuckery. As a result, handing out kingdom titles is mostly a matter of convenience - you can keep a couple of kingdoms (or even all of them) for yourself if you want, just to make sure you stay bigger and badder than your vassal kings.

If your highest title is King than there's no penalty to multiple crowns, but if you're Emperor there definitely is.

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

Charlz Guybon posted:

If your highest title is King than there's no penalty to multiple crowns, but if you're Emperor there definitely is.

It's not like the penalty for multiple duchies, though. Just a flat -10 with most vassals.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Walliard posted:

It's not like the penalty for multiple duchies, though. Just a flat -10 with most vassals.

Only the vassals for the Kingdoms you have crowns for.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
I would like to request some medieval legal council:

What are the rules regarding random? Previously I have paid to release my vassals or my courtiers from prison from the diplomacy screen of their jailers, no problem. This time is a little different. I'm just a 3x count of Burbon under the duke of Aquitaine(who is a vassal of the king of France). The duke of Normandy has been locked up by the king of France for a while now(wrong side of a rebellion) and I would like to bail him out if possible. I'm married to the duke of Normandy's sister and the guy did me a solid by helping me stomp some other counts a few years ago, so I feel I owe him. But if I go to the king of France in the diplomacy window I can't get him out, nor can I do it from the duke of Normandy page. Is this dude destined to rot in prison forever?

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

Captain Beans posted:

What are the rules regarding random? Previously I have paid to release my vassals or my courtiers from prison from the diplomacy screen of their jailers, no problem. This time is a little different. I'm just a 3x count of Burbon under the duke of Aquitaine(who is a vassal of the king of France). The duke of Normandy has been locked up by the king of France for a while now(wrong side of a rebellion) and I would like to bail him out if possible. I'm married to the duke of Normandy's sister and the guy did me a solid by helping me stomp some other counts a few years ago, so I feel I owe him. But if I go to the king of France in the diplomacy window I can't get him out, nor can I do it from the duke of Normandy page. Is this dude destined to rot in prison forever?

Since he's landed, he has to pay his own ransom. Try giving him gifts of money until he has the 135 needed.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Captain Beans posted:

There's no way to get him out with diplomacy between you and the king, but if you give a landed prisoner enough gold to get out they generally will if their jailer is interested in ransom and not just holding them forever. Or their regent might spend it on construction, but them's the breaks.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Jazerus posted:

There's no way to get him out with diplomacy between you and the king, but if you give a landed prisoner enough gold to get out they generally will if their jailer is interested in ransom and not just holding them forever. Or their regent might spend it on construction, but them's the breaks.

Walliard posted:

Since he's landed, he has to pay his own ransom. Try giving him gifts of money until he has the 135 needed.

Good advice, thanks guys. I gave him a bunch of cash to make bail but the king of France must have not been keen on letting a major player in a rebellion out of jail. I feel like I did what I could, too bad he ended up getting killed in prison. However I scooped up some claims through his sister(my wife) when he died so it all ends well. RIP dude, with stats of mainly 0. You may have been stupid as dirt but you helped me when I needed it.

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Sep 2, 2013

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Captain Beans posted:

Good advice, thanks guys. I gave him a bunch of cash to make bail but the king of France must have not been keen on letting a major player in a rebellion out of jail. I feel like I did what I could, too bad he ended up getting killed in prison. However I scooped up some claims through his sister(my wife) when he died so it all ends well. RIP dude, with stats of mainly 0. You may have been stupid as dirt but you helped me when I needed it.

For what it's worth, I don't think I've ever seen the AI allow their own imprisoned AI vassal to ransom their way out of prison so don't feel too bad about it. The option is there for both a player liege and a player prisoner but the AI holds serious grudges over rebellion.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
I'm taking a break from my Frankish Anti-Viking Crusade game because I'm tired of looking at blue.

Where's a good, challenging Muslim start for Old Gods?

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Edit: Reign as not-king does not count for reign as king when determining changing succession laws. I guess it's important to make all your massively unpopular laws right before you die so that everyone forgets about them.

I got caught out on Matrilineal Betrothal/Regular Marriage fuckery. Where do you click to figure out when the game is trying to pull that over on you?

Also, all the AI stupidity makes opinion feel meaningless. A bunch of pathetic vassals got drunk and wanted a new king for no reason. You know, the same prince I was grooming for the throne. The prince they could have just voted for. If it comes up again I might as well just surrender command because if their rebellion failed then some schmuck from Connacht will gain the throne. Apparently my kid is so awesome that they're willing to bone his realm expansion and wipe his future levies to get him on the throne a few years early.

Mailer fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Sep 2, 2013

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Tom Smykowski posted:

I'm taking a break from my Frankish Anti-Viking Crusade game because I'm tired of looking at blue.

Where's a good, challenging Muslim start for Old Gods?

Idrisid is challenging, being right under the Umayyads.

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

SpRahl posted:

For retinues its usually a good idea to go with your culture specific retinue (housecarls for Scandinavia, knights for France etc) the best cultural and by extension the best retinues are considered to be Greek Cataphracts (heavy Cav+Horse archer) French/German knights (Heavy cav and light Cav, dont confuse with the normal cavalry retinue) and Horse archer retinues but I dont remember all the cultures that have those, Turks and Mongols for sure.
Cultural Retinues get a bonus equivalent to you highest cultural building (this does not have to be built yet so for example housecarl heavy infantry start with +60% offense)

Persians get a Horse Archer + Light Cavalry retinue that is fairly cost-efficient and composed in such a way that it only takes up 1000 retinue points. Are there any purely Light Infantry or mostly Light Infantry + Archer cultural retinues? The only one I can think of is the Mandé Free Warrior retinue, but it seems like overall there are barely any cultural retinues that have light infantry.

WhenInRome
Jun 17, 2011
In my current game, I'm playing as the Kaiser of the HRE. The problem is that it's an elective monarchy, and I was an idiot and let my only son be taught by a Byzantine. Now he has Greek culture, causing everyone to hate him and making it impossible for him to get elected. My empire is so large there is never a time when vassals aren't fighting each other, so I can't change succession laws.

Am I screwed here?

Non Sequitur
Apr 22, 2007
A queasy undergraduate scratching his pimples

WhenInRome posted:

In my current game, I'm playing as the Kaiser of the HRE. The problem is that it's an elective monarchy, and I was an idiot and let my only son be taught by a Byzantine. Now he has Greek culture, causing everyone to hate him and making it impossible for him to get elected. My empire is so large there is never a time when vassals aren't fighting each other, so I can't change succession laws.

Am I screwed here?

Nominate your brother/nephew/daughter.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

WhenInRome posted:

Am I screwed here?

No. Not getting elected emperor isn't the end of the world. You will just drop down to being a duke or a king for a generation.

Or maybe just have your son murdered.

FingersMaloy
Dec 23, 2004

Fuck! That's Delicious.
I'm still playing as the Republic of Venice as a vassal to the Byzantine Empire. I've conquered every holding for the emperor to mend the schism and I need one city to create the Roman Empire. My dynasty member and vassal gets the empire when this empress dies. How can I create the Republic of Rome? Is this even possible?

Happy Fun Bollocks
Aug 4, 2007

by Ion Helmet
I'm the Queen of England. My unlanded courtier son-in-law was heir to a duchy in Skotland, so I gave him an English county thinking it would cause the duchy to fall into my realm when he inherited; it didn't, and when he inherited, the county I gave him became part of Skotland. Why did it work out that way? Because the duchy wasn't de jure English? Because the county wasn't a de jure part of his duchy? Because he was the King of Skotland's kinsman? Because the duchy gave a higher title than the county? It can't be because of crown authority because the King of Skotland is still unreformed Norse.

Is there a console cheat for stealing vassals?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Happy Fun Bollocks posted:

I'm the Queen of England. My unlanded courtier son-in-law was heir to a duchy in Skotland, so I gave him an English county thinking it would cause the duchy to fall into my realm when he inherited; it didn't, and when he inherited, the county I gave him became part of Skotland.

(...)

Because the duchy gave a higher title than the county?

I'm pretty sure this is the reason, for what that's worth.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Well I'm nearly at the end of my first run through from old gods to end, as Ireland. It's been a blast, even though England has remained so stable whenever I've been able to crackdown on rebellious vassals long enough to do anything I'll not be making Britannia any time soon. Still, it's been a blast.

Highlights:

Having my third in line educated by a Bedouin eunuch because he had great stats, then suddenly becoming king, leading to 200 years of Bedouin culture in Ireland.

Everyone suddenly becoming orthodox in Scotland?

Taking over Spain then releasing it as independent, making it a vast and powerful merchant republic.

Winning the 9th crusade to Jerusalem, only to have it squashed flat in ten years.

Losing the tenth crusade.

Getting a claim on Norway, inheriting it and then losing it to super-Sweden

Mega HRE finally fracturing into France, Hungary, Byzantium and Poland after a 5% assassination chance went horribly right.

What next?

WhenInRome
Jun 17, 2011

Non Sequitur posted:

Nominate your brother/nephew/daughter.

I do have other relatives, but they don't appear on the nomination list.

Also, cool unrelated fact: When you click on provinces on the starting screen to pick who you want to play as, the chimes that play are the first few notes of the main theme.

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax
Just got this game through the Humble Bundle. Playing for the first time, should I start as a King or someone much more lowly? Do I need to go through all the tutorials or am I fine with just the basic ones?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Jefferoo posted:

Just got this game through the Humble Bundle. Playing for the first time, should I start as a King or someone much more lowly? Do I need to go through all the tutorials or am I fine with just the basic ones?

Check out the tutorial LPs going on; they're a decent introduction. The 'standard' beginner's start is one of the Irish dukes, and try to form Ireland.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

fool_of_sound posted:

The 'standard' beginner's start is one of the Irish dukes, and try to form Ireland.

Unless (this is key) you have the Old Gods DLC and are starting in 867, in which case avoid Ireland at all costs and start as a Norseman or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Jefferoo posted:

It depends- the difficulty meter says that being a king is easier for some reason, but it's more a question of complexity than difficulty (if that makes any sense.) When you're King you have a lot of resources but a lot more potential threats within the realm- the larger your realm is the more there is to manage. When you're lower on the scale you don't have that many troops to work with and not as much money and not as much diplomatic pull, BUT you can be a little more focused and deal with a few things at a time, like conquering your immediate neighbor or getting a claim on a duchy or something on that scale as you work your way up.

• Locked thread