Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
more friedman units
Jul 7, 2010

The next six months will be critical.

Trainmonk posted:

But you have the opportunity to move after they do that.

True, you can run the soldier out and hope there's decent cover in range. The frustrating part for me has been sending up the rest of the squad to support the scout and accidentally triggering other packs in another direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

more friedman units posted:

The former effectively happens in the current system, though. Granted, they don't get a full round of fire. Soldier stumbles on a squad of aliens, they use their free move to head to cover which sometimes IS flanking that soldier. It makes scouting feel pointless when you can be automatically outmaneuvered unless you're slowly leapfrogging your entire squad for protection.

Edit: In fact, isn't this THE big reason why it's almost never a good idea to dash a soldier unless you already have other soldiers at the end point? That doesn't seem like it was intended by the developers since the tutorial and loading tips encourage dashing, plus they're adding the meld mechanic to EW to encourage less conservative play.

True, you can run the soldier out and hope there's decent cover in range. The frustrating part for me has been sending up the rest of the squad to support the scout and accidentally triggering other packs in another direction.

Not firing makes all the difference, and playing it safe consists of:
- Revealing fog of war with only the first move of the first soldier.
- If no contact, move the rest forward tracing steps, overwatch.
- If contact, dash the scout back into known territory, rest of squad takes up positions in known terrain and overwatches.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
On that note I'm really excited that every new bit of EW so far seems to be about encouraging aggression on the player's part by rewarding them with new toys. Also a sneaky alien that murders your squadsight sniper. :getin:

more friedman units
Jul 7, 2010

The next six months will be critical.

Nephilm posted:

Not firing makes all the difference, and playing it safe consists of:
- Revealing fog of war with only the first move of the first soldier.
- If no contact, move the rest forward tracing steps, overwatch.
- If contact, dash the scout back into known territory, rest of squad takes up positions in known terrain and overwatches.

It helped a TON when this thread taught me to actually use Hunker Down rather than taking low-percentage shots. I've been trying to focus on tactical retreats where I have a soldier deliberately break contact, fall back to another squad member and set Overwatch ambushes. Seems to work particularly well on building-heavy maps where there are lots of corners and doors to use.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

It helped a TON when this thread taught me to actually use Hunker Down rather than taking low-percentage shots. I've been trying to focus on tactical retreats where I have a soldier deliberately break contact, fall back to another squad member and set Overwatch ambushes. Seems to work particularly well on building-heavy maps where there are lots of corners and doors to use.

Just be careful that sometimes the corner Overwatch wont work. When an enemy only steps the first square into view (say, the edge of the wall they are peeking around to shoot at you), you wont trigger the Overwatch shot, and they get a free shot at you. :argh:Thin men:argh:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Deuce posted:

Just be careful that sometimes the corner Overwatch wont work. When an enemy only steps the first square into view (say, the edge of the wall they are peeking around to shoot at you), you wont trigger the Overwatch shot, and they get a free shot at you. :argh:Thin men:argh:

To be fair, this also works for you as well, if you can avoid their lone of sight and only pop into it when you're peering around the corner. I've lucked out on this more than a few times :)

e: still, gently caress Thin Men regardless of context. Poisonous motherfuckers :(

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
Today's new discovery:

Burning cars on the wrecked highway "save the UN guy" council mission will randomly explode, conveniently when your troops are next to them. Three times.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Deuce posted:

Burning cars on the wrecked highway "save the UN guy" council mission will randomly explode, conveniently when your troops are next to them. Three times.

Most likely some missed shots set them burning and you didn't notice. Grenades will also do it.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

animatorZed posted:

Most likely some missed shots set them burning and you didn't notice. Grenades will also do it.

I guess there were a lot of stray overwatch shots.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

Deuce posted:

Today's new discovery:

Everyone knows that automotive manufactures are in league with aliens. Haven't you watched They Live?

Welmu
Oct 9, 2007
Metri. Piiri. Sekunti.

S.J. posted:

I kinda would like aliens to go on overwatch some times after being discovered and moving, though.

Then you're in luck: in the PAX panel demo, upon discovery, a mectoid went into overwatch while his sectoid buddy scurried into cover and gave him a psi-shield.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Deuce posted:

I guess there were a lot of stray overwatch shots.
Stray shots by aliens that hit the engines of vehicles will start them on fire, and you have to move your guys out of there during your turn or else the vehicles blow up.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Welmu posted:

Then you're in luck: in the PAX panel demo, upon discovery, a mectoid went into overwatch while his sectoid buddy scurried into cover and gave him a psi-shield.

Oh god. Can regular sectoids buff up the mechatoid? :ohdear:

Welmu
Oct 9, 2007
Metri. Piiri. Sekunti.

SynthOrange posted:

Yup, Mechtoids get a 6-point shield which seems to reduce some damage by half. Killing the mind merging sectoid will not kill the mechtoid.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

SynthOrange posted:

Yup. Mind-meld gives a shield to Mechtoids and doesn't kill both units when the sectoid's popped. You know, since it was doing a shield instead of a direct brainlink.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Bruceski posted:

Yup. Mind-meld gives a shield to Mechtoids and doesn't kill both units when the sectoid's popped. You know, since it was doing a shield instead of a direct brainlink.

What kind of debuff does the mechtoid get then? Increased damage?

Welmu
Oct 9, 2007
Metri. Piiri. Sekunti.

Demiurge4 posted:

What kind of debuff does the mechtoid get then?

None whatsoever; he just gets angrier.

Robotic units are also unaffected by flamethrowers and these:

Welmu fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Sep 2, 2013

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Welmu posted:

It's probably just because Mechs can't use cover.

MechPlasma
Jan 30, 2013
I wonder if they can be affected by Greater Mind Merge.

Because that'd be an rear end!

...if commanders ever actually used it.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Reading the RPS interview from a few days ago and I noticed a few things that were new to me:
You auto-capture all Meld that hasn't self-destructed if you kill all the aliens.
You can respec your gene mods.
They mention upgrades "for mechs and robotic units", so I guess SHIVs do get some love too.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

SHIVs gain sentience, experience, love.

Spaceking
Aug 27, 2012

One for the road...

SynthOrange posted:

That didn't work out so well for these guys:

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

SynthOrange posted:

"Why, why was I programmed to feel pain!?"

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

Welmu posted:

IIRC, with the expansion, "heavy units" automatically go on overwatch when activated.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help

RPS posted:

RPS: OK. But there are more things than Mechtoids filling up the bestiary?

Gupta: Oh yeah yeah yeah. We’re adding a bunch of new enemies.

:fap:

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007
Has that Pax Prime panel been put on YouTube or another decent video host yet? Twitch keeps freezing or skipping several minutes at a time.

Welmu
Oct 9, 2007
Metri. Piiri. Sekunti.

Jolan posted:

Has that Pax Prime panel been put on YouTube or another decent video host yet? Twitch keeps freezing or skipping several minutes at a time.

Not that I know of, so I went and used http://www.twitchtools.com/video-download.php to download the relevant segments (12-14, iirc) to watch without freezing.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Welmu posted:

Yeah, I saw that. I just want normal enemies to do it some times too. I assume he did that as compensation for not being able to move into cover when they scatter.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
I'll say this about Meld and the playstyle it's there to promote; as someone who already plays far more aggressively than is advisable, I see this as a reward.
Playing it safe, as Nephilm described, sure is effective, but to me it turns tedious and unfun after a while. Meld gives you an actual benefit to being a bit more aggressive, and I'm completely behind that idea.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Darkrenown posted:

They mention upgrades "for mechs and robotic units", so I guess SHIVs do get some love too.

Hell yeah my dream of fielding an all-SHIV B(eep boop)-team improves

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

"I don't like that mooch...
or her pooch!
"
Heads up for anyone who still doesn't have Enemy Unknown: it looks like Amazon is selling the base game plus both DLCs for $10 as a digital download. No idea how long it will last, but I'd jump on it if you've been waiting for it to get cheap!

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.
I wanted to recap what we know so far about EW, and I had questions about if any changes will impact the XCOM strategic gameplay. I've bolded a few points related to my posting text below:

Here's a recap of features that Slashrat posted back on August 21st:

Slashrat posted:

Summary of interesting things and clarifications:
  • Adds to the existing game. You start a game of XCOM as normal and all the new stuff appears in it along the old stuff.
  • There'll still be the option of starting a game of vanilla XCOM without EW content
  • The two highlight features is the two new ways of enhancing soldiers; genetics and the mech trooper class.
  • Mech troopers wear mech suits that has its own weapon progression. It is unlocked by the cybernetics lab. (edit: the mech trooper seems to be a human-sized cyborg that can wear different kinds of suits)
  • Genetics are unlocked by alien autopsies.
  • Meld is the resource and is present in both new and old maps.
  • A bunch of new enemies, but only talking about the mechtoid so far
  • Mechtoid is a way keeping sectoids present in the late game.
  • New grenades, new utility items
  • Enemy Within refers to working alien tech and genetics into the human body.
  • They can't reveal exactly how they arrived at that theme until another "Key Feature" has been revealed.
  • They didn't want to go "dark" with XCOM. XCOM is still the "good guys" and "defenders of humanity".
  • Localized voices turned out to be a lot harder to do on consoles, but made it in.

So far all these statements are still true, but could be expanded upon (like about the new enemies). Also there is a benefit of the new maps and re-worked older maps to support Meld.

In relation to the Slingshot expansion, it sounds like you could play EW without missing Slingshot, as with all the new content and research paths you would not need to mess with the Slingshot missions. That will be my initial preference.

With the new research paths for Meld, Genetics and Mechs, will that make scientists and laboratories more useful than in the original XCOM? Also, I assume control of South America would be more useful since autopsies reveal Genetic abilities.

But considering that, it doesn't sound like anything will be changing in the overall strategic game?. After EW is released will the strategic progression still be
* Capture Outsider
* Raid the Alien Base
* Take down the Overseer ship
* Raid the Temple ship ?

Also, did Firaxis indicate what the "Key Feature" would be and does it have any impact on the strategic game?

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

nnnotime posted:

Also, did Firaxis indicate what the "Key Feature" would be and does it have any impact on the strategic game?

They've said nothing about it, as far as I'm aware. (It's probably something along the lines of having your base attacked or something.)

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

nnnotime posted:

With the new research paths for Meld, Genetics and Mechs, will that make scientists and laboratories more useful than in the original XCOM? Also, I assume control of South America would be more useful since autopsies reveal Genetic abilities.

Since that's generally considered the worst starting bonus maybe they'll make it so the operations on mechs/genetic stuff will also be much quicker? Fits the bonus thematically I think and would improve it a bit.

Since they've been keeping quiet about the big change to the strategy layer I bet that will be the inside faction everyone is speculating about. They start out small or only appear after the alien base is taken, gain more of a foothold from certain failures, maybe hinder your satellites, increase panic and such. Maybe you occasionally have to send squads of soldiers out to deal with stuff leaving them unavailable for use for awhile. Mix up that aspect of the game a bit.

feedtheid
Oct 17, 2006

we get it, you're too busy fellating Gabe to put yourself into someone else's shoes
The last few pages have been about the upcoming content patch and its effects on gameplay. I bought this at release and played it for about 6 hours, and then I guess never touched it again. I'm coming back to it now and there was some useful information in the OP about overwatch, hunker down etc., but I was wondering if anyone had done any in-depth newbie posts or if there's resources out there that are generally well-known for newbies, since the DLC might bring in new players, especially with the price drop.

What I'm saying is that I'm dying a lot please make the badmen go away :ohdear:

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

"I don't like that mooch...
or her pooch!
"
Finished the game last night and had a weird theory about the new logo flashed in the teaser (spoiled for ending spoilers if anyone still cares):

So I noticed that when the volunteer sacrifices themselves to destroy the a Temple Ship, they bring it above the atmosphere if the Earth and it detonates in a halo-like explosion. Maybe I'm thinking too hard about it, but the teaser logo could be a stylized representation of the exploding ship above the Earth. Maybe EW continues after the Temple Ship, you are tasked with cleaning up the remnants of the alien force as well as a cult dedicated to the Volunteer who they believe should have sided with the Etherials...or something.

Maybe I'm thinking too hard about it, but personally I wouldn't mind content that continued the game past the final mission. Maybe they could make a more challenging final boss, too.

feedtheid posted:

The last few pages have been about the upcoming content patch and its effects on gameplay. I bought this at release and played it for about 6 hours, and then I guess never touched it again. I'm coming back to it now and there was some useful information in the OP about overwatch, hunker down etc., but I was wondering if anyone had done any in-depth newbie posts or if there's resources out there that are generally well-known for newbies, since the DLC might bring in new players, especially with the price drop.

What I'm saying is that I'm dying a lot please make the badmen go away :ohdear:

Watch Beaglerush's videos on YouTube. He plays on Ironman/Impossible, but a lot of his advice is good for any difficulty. Take the Support ability that lets you take reaction shots if an alien shoots, it's way more useful than being able to run three extra spaces. Always go for full cover if you can, hunker down your guys rather than overwatch (especially on higher difficulties) and don't feel like you have to rush objectives. Take a couple of months to build up your satellite coverage and get lasers ASAP. You won't lose because you play slow and defensively, only if you can't manage panic.

Hellburger99 fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Sep 2, 2013

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

thebardyspoon posted:

Since that's generally considered the worst starting bonus maybe they'll make it so the operations on mechs/genetic stuff will also be much quicker? Fits the bonus thematically I think and would improve it a bit.
That makes sense. I don't think the South America bonus would be game-breaking in this case. But if the SA bonus becomes more powerful perhaps they should add one more country to SA to make it more difficult to grab if you start in a different continent.

quote:

Since they've been keeping quiet about the big change to the strategy layer I bet that will be the inside faction everyone is speculating about. They start out small or only appear after the alien base is taken, gain more of a foothold from certain failures, maybe hinder your satellites, increase panic and such. Maybe you occasionally have to send squads of soldiers out to deal with stuff leaving them unavailable for use for awhile. Mix up that aspect of the game a bit.
Perhaps this new faction introduces an "influence" rating that works alongside the panic rating: if the influence gets too high then the country sides with the aliens. So you not only have to manage panic but also have to manage the alien influence.

There was alien influence in the original X-Com series, but it was cumulative with panic ratings for determining if a country dropped out of the X-Com project. For this new XCOM it would make the game too difficult if influence from the faction would accumulate with the overall panic rating.

Hopefully we'll know more about this Key Feature soon...

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

Hellburger99 posted:

Watch Beaglerush's videos on YouTube. He plays on Ironman/Impossible, but a lot of his advice is good for any difficulty. Take the Support ability that lets you take reaction shots if an alien shoots, it's way more useful than being able to run three extra spaces. Always go for full cover if you can, hunker down your guys rather than overwatch (especially on higher difficulties) and don't feel like you have to rush objectives. Take a couple of months to build up your satellite coverage and get lasers ASAP. You won't lose because you play slow and defensively, only if you can't manage panic.

Have to strongly disagree with you on the Support ability. Covering fire triggers after the alien takes their shot and still gets the -20 aim Overwatch penalty, which means it's really hard to hit with and doesn't keep your mans from dying even if it does hit. Sprinter, meanwhile, lets you set up flanks easier, move to better cover in sparse terrain, squadsight scout more effectively, stun aliens from farther away, and get your medkits to wounded allies more quickly.

The rest of this advice is good, but Sprinter is about a million times better than Covering Fire.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Glidergun posted:

The rest of this advice is good, but Sprinter is about a million times better than Covering Fire.

This statement is completely wrong. Sprinter is a at least a trillion times better than covering fire :)

Seriously, the extra flexibility in having more movement in completely invaluable. Stack that with the movement bonuses from skeleton and ghost, and you have someone that can be practically anywhere you need him to be.

It also makes setting up stuns much easier.

Covering fire means that you've been shot at, which means that you're probably already dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
With the PAX demo, I think we know about seven of the ten gene mods they've hinted at. Spoilered for the people who would rather discover this on their own.

Brain
-Neural Dampening: Grants a bonus to Will vs. Psi attacks, makes you immune to panic and downgrades enemy mind control to being stunned for a round. Shown in the official screenshots.
-Some sort of Psychic Feedback that fires back for psychic damage when an enemy uses a psychic ability on you, as seen in the trailer.

Eyes
-Some sort of corrective vision that grants an aim bonus on targets you've previously missed. Demonstrated on a heavy in the PAX video.
-???

Chest
-Neither ability has been talked about much, but they have mentioned that one of them provides a second heart, presumably with some sort of recovery ability or protection against incapacitation

Skin
-Some sort of camouflage ability that activates when you end your turn in cover. Demonstrated in the PAX video
-The ability to sense enemies within a certain distance via some sort of electrical field. You can spot enemies even if they're cloaked or on the other side of a wall. Mentioned in the PAX demo.

Legs
-Boosted jumping, letting you jump up and down buildings like thin men and chrysallids. Mentioned in the release and demonstrated in the PAX video.
-A recovery/limited regeneration ability that kicks in when you're low on health? Mentioned in the release.

All ten icons are in the released screenshots, so you might be able to make some guesses as to the remaining abilities.

• Locked thread